Meeting Alyse and the Band of Foxes

Drops of Gold

Three days later

I hadn't seen Kai that much since we came back from the dorms. He only came around to check up on me for a few minutes and then leave. Tonight was the night we had to get to the dorms before the troops come down to The Fog tomorrow. And I was set to meeting up with him before going with him to our dorm tonight. 

Although everything I needed was already in the dorm, I brought along the remaining pieces of my former life I had. Including pictures, letters, jewelry, stuffed animals, and my antidotes I hid in a pocket of my backpack. I brushed my curls into a ponytail before putting it into a bun. I brushed once again making sure my natural curls didn't form a kitchen on my head by putting a silk bandana over it. As I made my way out of the doors of La La Land, I my music as I headed towards Kai's cottage. It would take a while but I would be fine.

Some minutes later, I arrived at the gates of Kai's cottage. As I was walking towards the door, I saw a shadow disappear behind the back of the cottage. 'It's probably just my imagination'. But being my normal paranoid self I still checked it out.

'Nothing out of the ordinary'. I turned away to enter at the front and saw Kai walk out. "I have arrived your majesty", I announced in a deep voice. Well, a somewhat deep voice.

"Late", he replied. He strolled past me as if I didn't exist.

"Sorry, I felt a little p-", I drawled on, "anxious". Skipping ahead of him, I blocked his way so he'd have to stand still until I moved.

"You're in my way"

"I know". He raised a speculating eyebrow. "I was just worried".

"About what?"

"Me and you in a basement, alone together. Shacked up in a basement for a few days running away from the law like Bonnie and Clyde". I batted my eyelashes at him exaggeratedly.

"Who's Bonnie and Clyde?"

"Nevermind". 

"I understand you being uncomfortable but we've both seen each other . So being in a basement with me for a couple of days wont be so bad. We can play games on these old ports".

"You mean tablets? These are the driving force of the older generations so they deserve your respect. Starting with you calling them by their proper names".

"Fine tablets. Now that we have that out of the way, how about you get out of my way", he grumbled. Pushing me out of the way like a snow plow, he lead the way to the dorms. " you know, being annoying and random isn't gonna get me to let you be all by yourself in the dorm. You need to be properly acquainted with everything and I will guide you all through your first one so there aren't any surprises."

I followed behind him, noticing some shadows lurking around us. Without hinting that I acknowledged someone's presence, I felt around in the side pocket of my backpack, which hung off of my right shoulder, feeling for my knife. I held the handle as we walked.

"-So that's it. You are staying with me and that's final", he huffed finally ending his boring lecture. 

"Fine". Feigning poutiness, I crossed my arms concealing the small blade in my shirt before placing my arms back at my sides.

Arriving to the dorms seemed to take an eternity's time walk. We settled in and made ourselves comfortable. I still felt lingering eyes on me so I stepped out of the basement dorm and headed outside. A deck of cards was an excuse to see who is spying on me. I walked over to a shed, "looking" for some cards. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw purple eyes glowing at me. "Who's there?". Not one peep coming from those purple eyes that seemed to have disappeared into the darkness. "I know you're there. I already saw you and heard you so just give it up." 

Along passed a good three minutes before someone stepped forward. A girl with the darkest shade of brown hair stepped out. "Put away your knife", she demanded. I did as told. Tension was released from her shoulders with each deep breath she took.

"You're the owner?", I guessed.

"I do not own the dorms or this shed". Her face was strikingly pretty almost like a young princess. Her coily  hair sat in one big twist at the top of her head. Eyebrows thick and full were stitched into a piercing gaze, following her porcelain doll-like purple eyes. 

"I meant your eyes". Her deep brown skin perfectly brought out the Violets and blues meshed into her irises, leaving the rim and pupil black. The color resembled that purple that you can only see at sunset before the pink color swallows it up. 

She looked at me strange. "Who are you exactly?"

"I'm Leela. I'm new down here and being shown the ropes by Kai". I thought I should add one more thing to my introduction. "I'm a fugitive".

"I know that much. I only wanted your name". She spoke with such a firm tone but such a gentle voice. 

"You must've been following me since I've been down here then. Is that right Purple Eyes?"

"No. You've been watched by others as well, but only on occasion. We all know your basic profile. We were only missing a name."

"Well, you've got it now", I scratched the back of my head. 'This is so awkward. Now I'll be even more paranoid and nervous. I hate that everyone's watching me'.

"We've never entered your home. We scanned your face from the street cameras", she clarified. 

"Who is 'we'?", I asked. Purple Eyes tapped a finger on the side of her leg, the movement so subtle, I barely missed it.

Out came six people, ranging from the teens to the mid 20s. Three boys and three girls were evenly split. Purple Eyes stood right next to slightly taller girl on her right. "We are the Band of Foxes", they chanted. Each one stepped up to introduce themselves, starting from the left. 

"Manish"

"Columbus"

"Francisco"

"Amaya"

"Madison"

"Soli" 

Purple Eyes was the last to introduce herself. "Alyse". 

They all spoke,"Nice to formally meet you. You have the approval of all citizens of the Fog." I nodded my head, not sure of what to do at that moment. Kai had opened the door of the shed and ushered us out into the open. 

"I see you've met our security/trouble makers". Kai had a look on his face that resembled one of an angry mother in public that would punish their kid later.

"It's not our fault we broke some civilian's arm. You told us to check if he was carrying spyware", said Columbus.

"Exactly. I said to check not injure", he argued rubbing his fingertips on his temples. "Anyways, Alyse", he called out, "what is this about?"

"She has earned the trust of civilians. It's confirmed through the video and voice surveillance". She said it so proudly as if I were family.

Kai turned to me and gave me a hug, "Congratulations Leela. You are officially a citizen of the Fog". He released me with a smile along with the Band of Foxes. 'I'm just going to call them foxes from now on'.

"Thank you. It's nice to meet you all as well".

"Now you can pick a job", he said happily, "but for now, we need to get you into the dorm. Alyse and Manish, make sure there are no civilians on the streets by midday. I mean it." The Foxes saluted before splitting up into different directs as Kai sped walked back into the dorms. 

"Don't look so nervous. It will only be a few days with him. He's not as annoying as we all think he is.", Alyse said with a smile on her face.

"I'm not nervous, I'm just irritated that I'll be stuck in a room for a couple of days without being able to roam freely".

"It's not that bad. It's actually peaceful and you get to know more about the other person".

"Okay", I grumbled. I slumped my way to the entrance of the dorms before walking into our dorm.

"You will be a companion of us all".