Shadows from Yesterday

The Warmth of Spring

Spoiler: Something very important will happen by the end of the chapter, how will it impact the story?

-------

After their week off in Santorini, the couple returned to Seoul, and they quickly find themselves immersed in their respective work commitments. The trip helped them take time to recharge, and renewed their energy and positivity, so they were working with a different vibe and energy.

 

Yoochun didn’t fail to catch the change in his friend, he looked brighter and happier since he returned from his trip. He didn’t want to comment until after couple of days, so he took the opportunity when he having lunch with Jaejoong to ask.

Did something happen lately?

Hmm, no, why?

You seem refreshed and happier.”

Jaejoong smiled “I just had a much-needed break Yoochun.

Well, whatever you did in Santorini, it worked wonders.

Jaejoong chuckles and takes a sip of water, but Yoochun senses there's more to it.

Come on Jae, you think I will be convinced with what you said. How was your trip? I didn’t get the chance to ask, since we were busy with the new mall  branch opening preparation.

Well, Su Jin and I had an amazing time together.

Ah, Su Jin. Is she the reason for your newfound happiness?

No, it's not like that. We're just friends.

Yoochun can't help but grin mischievously.

Friends who went on a romantic getaway to Santorini? Come on, Jaejoong, spill the beans. Did you two share a kiss under the Santorini sunset? Or you went further?

Jaejoong bursts into laughter at his friend's teasing

Yoochun, you have quite the imagination. We simply enjoyed each other's company and and explored the island together.

If you say so, but a trip wouldn’t do wonders like this.”

Well, it did.

Just as Jaejoong responds, his phone buzzes with a message. Yoochun's curiosity piques as he notices the smile that lights up Jaejoong's face when he sees the message. But what really catches his attention is Jaejoong's new lock screen picture — a photo of Su Jin.

 

Yoochun raises an eyebrow at the lock screen. “Interesting lock screen, Jaejoong. Remind me, what did you say about being just friends?

 

Oh, uh... well, it's just a nice picture from our trip.

 

Yoochun smirked “A nice" picture, huh? Looks like more than just friendship to me.

 

Jaejoong chuckled “Chun, you're reading too much into it. Su Jin and I are close, that's all.

 

Yoochun teased “If you say so, Jaejoong. But I've known you long enough to see when something's different. And let's just say, there is something different this time with Su Jin.

 

Maybe… things have changed a bit.

 

Yoochun was curious “Care to share the details?

 

“Well, Su Jin and I had some meaningful conversations during our trip. It made me realize how different she is, and how we can be comfortable around each other.”

 

Do you have feelings for Su Jin?

 

Jaejoong's smile fades slightly as he considers Yoochun's question.

 

I... I don't know, Yoochun. It's complicated. Su Jin and I have a great relationship, but…feelings? I don’t think I can love someone, especially after... you know.

 

Yoochun placed a reassuring hand on Jaejoong's shoulder “Sometimes, the heart knows before the mind catches up. Just don't let fear hold you back, Jaejoong. Love is worth taking a risk.

 

Jaejoong remains quiet, his thoughts swirling with uncertainty. Sensing his friend's discomfort, Yoochun tries to lighten the mood

Lunch break is over, let’s smoke and return to the office.

 

———————————

Su Jin and Jaejoong have been busy since their trip, but they still make time to see each other and enjoy quality moments together whenever possible.

Their schedules often align unexpectedly; when Jaejoong is at home, Su Jin finds herself traveling to various Asian countries to wrap up her commitments there before heading to the US. Conversely, when Su Jin is back, Jaejoong is often tied up with work, especially as they prepare for the imminent opening of a new mall branch.

 

Jaejoong was in his office, engrossed in work, but when he glanced at his watch, he swiftly grabbed his blazer and car keys, making his way to the door.

"I'm calling it a night. See you tomorrow,"

Yoochun raised an eyebrow, curious, while Junsu looked up from his papers. "Hyung, where are you off to? We still need to finalize the last-minute details for the opening."

"Junsu-ah, you're more than capable of handling it without me. I've been stuck here while you guys head home every evening. It's my turn for a breather.

 

Yoochun sensed there was more to it than just exhaustion. "So, where exactly are you headed?

 

"It's time for me to head home. But before that, I'm going to pick up Su Jin from the airport," Jaejoong said with a smile,

Yoochun kind of knew that his friend wasn’t tired or anything “So where are you going?

Time for me to go home. But before I am going to fetch Su Jin from the airport

 

Yoochun and Junsu exchanged knowing looks, teasing grins spreading across their faces.

"Ah, so that's the real reason!” Junsu exclaimed, while Yoochun added “So now you can’t breath unless Su Ji is here

 

Jaejoong shook his head at his friend and cousin’s silliness, unable to suppress a chuckle. But what truly set him off was Yoochun's witty remark, "Looks like someone's eager to switch from work mode to love mode!

 

Jaejoong made his way to the airport. Once he arrived, he stepped out of the car and leaned against the passenger's door, his gaze scanning the crowd in search of Su Jin.

 

Finally, his eyes landed on her, and a smile spread across his face. However, Su Jin's eyes lit up with surprise when she saw Jaejoong waiting for her instead of her brother. She quickly bid farewell to her team with a bow and a wave, then quickened her pace towards him.

 

Hello Jae," Su Jin greeted him warmly, enveloping him in a tight hug as soon as she reached him.

"Hey" Jaejoong replied, his voice filled with affection as he returned her embrace. Jaejoong then took her luggage and opened the passenger's door for her. After she was settled in the car, he closed the door and went to stow her suitcase in the car's trunk.

 

"I wasn't expecting to see you," Su Jin admitted.

"Are you disappointed?" Jaejoong asked, teasingly.

Su Jin quickly waved her hands to dismiss any notion of disappointment. "Of course not, it's just that Chang Wook oppa was supposed to fetch me."

Jaejoong chuckled. "I called him to let him know I could do it, and it turns out he was extremely busy, so it was a win-win situation."

 

During the car ride, they exchanged stories about their days apart. Jaejoong listened intently as Su Jin recounted her experiences, particularly the details of her recent photoshoot process; her excitement was contagious.

Upon arriving home, Su Jin headed off to freshen up, while Jaejoong took the initiative to prepare a nice home-cooked meal for both of them. As Su Jin entered the kitchen, she was greeted by the amazing smell of something delicious cooking.

Ahh, it smells so good, I missed your food.” Jaejoong smiled at her comment

Jaejoong smiled at her comment. "I prepared Kimchi Stew and Bibimbap... and I made it spicy, just the way you like it."

"You're the best, Jae. No one would believe that you cook," Su Jin said with a chuckle, a sentiment she often expressed, but it never failed to bring a smile to Jaejoong's face when it came from her.

 

They started eating and chatting, enjoying the comfort of each other's company. Amidst the meal, Jaejoong seized the opportunity to remind Su Jin of the event scheduled for the next day.

 

"You didn't forget about tomorrow's event, did you?" he asked with a playful glint in his eyes.

 

Su Jin shook her head with a smile. "Of course not, Jae. I'm really excited for the opening." Her enthusiasm was evident, reflecting her eagerness to be a part of the upcoming event.

 

Jaejoong smiled warmly. "Your family will be there for their store opening, my family will be there for the opening of Balmain, and I'll be focused on managing our other partners and the brands that will be present. So, whose side will you join?

 

"I'll come with Chang Wook oppa, but I can't attend Mk's opening as someone mean sneaked into the contract that I have to be at the grand opening of Balmain's 1000th store," Su Jin explained with a slight pout.

 

Jaejoong chuckled. "I'm sorry, but a deal is a deal. However, I can do you a favor and let you sneak away to check on your family's store once we're finished, just before the ceremony.

 

Su Jin replied with a teasing tone, "Oh, how generous of you.

 

"And you can check your favorite brands, buy whatever you want, and it's on me. Happy now?" Jaejoong added with a playful grin.

He earned a thumbs-up from Su Jin. "The best husband ever," she declared with a smile.

 

 

The next day, as expected, Jaejoong arrived early, dressed impeccably in his suit. The event was set to take place in the newest mall branch owned by Kim Corporate, a conglomerate that extended beyond just the Balmain brand.

The venue buzzed with excitement as numerous celebrities, brands, and PR companies had been invited to attend the grand opening. The air was filled with anticipation and the promise of new beginnings for the mall branch and the brands it housed.

 

Jaejoong, Junsu, and Yoochun diligently checked on the various brands, extending warm welcomes to their representatives. When it was time to greet MK, Jaejoong respectfully bowed to his in-laws.

Chang Wook greeted him with a hug. “Come on Jae, it’s been a while now. You didn’t bother to come see me once.”

"Guilty as charged," Jaejoong admitted with a sheepish grin. "But you know how busy we've been lately, with the new collection and this opening. I owe you big."

Chang Wook laughed. "No worries. Let's grab a drink later. Or maybe you don't need me anymore, now that things are going so well with Su Jin." He teased.

 

Jaejoong glanced over at Junsu and Yoochun, a knowing smile playing on his lips. He could tell by the mischievous glint in their eyes that they had something to do with the playful banter between him and Chang Wook.

"You two," Jaejoong said, shaking his head in mock disapproval. "Always stirring up trouble.

 

They all chuckled, appreciating the camaraderie and lightheartedness among friends.

"Speaking of Su Jin, did she come with you?" Jaejoong inquired of Chang Wook.

"Yes, she did, but she went directly with your team," Chang Wook replied.

Jaejoong nodded in understanding. "Alright, guys, it's time for us to head out. I'll see you later at the ceremony, Chang Wook."

Chang Wook patted Jaejoong on the shoulder and wished him luck. Jaejoong then excused himself and made his way to bow to his in-laws once again before continuing with his duties at the event.

 

Su Jin made her entrance to the Balmain store, dressed in a light blue dress and high heels.

The staff and managers greeted her warmly, and then it was Jaejoong's turn to welcome her. They shook hands for the pictures, but as Jaejoong leaned closer to her ear, he couldn't resist complimenting her.

"You look radiant and angelic," he whispered softly.

Su Jin smiled at the compliment but couldn't help but feel a wave of shyness, given the professional setting they were in. Nevertheless, she appreciated Jaejoong's sweet words.

 

Su Jin diligently attended to her professional duties, engaging with guests, conducting interviews, meeting with shareholders, and posing for photographs. Amidst the flurry of activity, Jaejoong approached her and gently tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"We're nearly done here. Take this chance to go see your family and visit the other stores. Remember, everything's on me," Jaejoong said softly, reaffirming his earlier promise.

 

Su Jin spent some time with her brother at their store before deciding to explore further. After visiting several brands, she made her way to the open-air area where the ceremony was being held.


Following Jaejoong's welcoming speech, the atmosphere buzzed with lively conversations. Su Jin had the pleasure of meeting some celebrity friends like Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook.

Gong Yoo turned to Su Jin with a smile. "I heard you'll be throwing the first pitch at the baseball final.

Su Jin beamed with excitement. "Yes, I'm super excited. Will you be there?

"Tickets were sold out pretty quickly," Lee Dong Wook replied.

"I have extra tickets. I got them for family and friends, but they booked theirs pretty early," Su Jin offered.

"Okay, great. See you then," Lee Dong Wook replied, grateful for the opportunity.

 

 

As Su Jin was going to her manager, a girl stopped her. It was Kim Jiyeon. She extended her arm for a handshake.

"Su Jin-si, it's a pleasure to finally meet you, I'm Kim Jiyeon," the girl introduced herself.

Su Jin replied politely, though she couldn't shake off a subtle sense of unease. "Likewise, Jiyeon-ssi"

 

Kim Jiyeon's expression softened slightly as she spoke. "I just wanted to say that I've heard a lot about you from mutual acquaintances, and I was hoping to get to know you in person."

"Thank you for your kind words," Su Jin replied diplomatically. "It's true we're in the same field, but we haven't had the chance to meet until now."

"Well, we almost crossed paths at Leetuk’s restaurant's opening. Too bad I arrived a little late that day," Jiyeon remarked casually.

Su Jin felt a pang of unease, recalling that particular event. "I'm sure there will be other opportunities," she replied cautiously.

"I truly hope so. It would be wonderful to be friends. It could benefit me personally and professionally, I’m sure we can be good friends" Jiyeon continued.

 

Su Jin forced a polite smile, concealing her discomfort. She was about to respond, when Jiyeon added with a hint of mischief, "After all, we have so much in common – same career, same taste in men."

Su Jin froze, all she could do was smiling.

 

You seem to have captured Jaejoong's heart in a way I never could.

"I... uh..." she stammered, at a loss for words. “Sorry?

"Sorry, I didn't mean to make things awkward," Jiyeon said

"It's alright,"

It's just... refreshing to see him so happy.”

 

Meanwhile, Yoochun observed the interaction from afar and approached Jaejoong with concern.

"Jae, look over there," Yoochun said, gesturing towards Su Jin and Kim Jiyeon.

Jaejoong's heart skipped a beat as he spotted Kim Jiyeon conversing with his wife. He couldn't discern the nature of their conversation, but he knew he didn't want Jiyeon getting any closer to Su Jin under any circumstances.

 

"I'll handle this. I understand you don't want to confront her," Yoochun offered, moving to intervene, but Jaejoong's hand halted him.

"No, I'll go. Just try to find out why she's here and who invited her," Jaejoong insisted, determination firm in his voice..

 

Before Su Jin could reply,  Jaejoong approached, his eyes narrowed slightly as he observed the interaction between Su Jin and Kim Jiyeon. Sensing the tension, he stepped closer to Su Jin.

"Is everything alright here?" Jaejoong asked, his tone calm but guarded.

"Yes, everything's fine," Su Jin replied, offering him a reassuring smile.

Kim Jiyeon’ was very composed, though a flicker of disappointment flashed in her eyes. "Jaejoong-ssi, it's been so long." she explained, her tone casual.

Jaejoong nodded curtly, his gaze turned to Su Jin. He sensed her discomfort and wanted to be there for her, but he was hesitant to make any physical gestures, fearing she might misinterpret his intentions, and think he is doing it to make his ex jealous.To his surprise, Su Jin took the initiative, putting her arm around his waist. Encouraged by her gesture, Jaejoong gently placed his hand on her cheek, offering a tender caress.

Are you sure, you are fine?

Yes babe, don’t worry.” Su Jin reassured him, surprising Jaejoong with her response. He didn’t expect her to call him babe.

 

Kim Jiyeon cleared , her expression betraying a hint of irritation.

 

Jaejoong's gaze shifted back to Kim Jiyeon. "If you'll excuse us," he said firmly, indicating that their conversation was over.

Su Jin didn't want to be rude to Kim Jiyeon, so she bid her goodbyes politely. "A pleasure to meet you," she said with a polite nod.

 

"The pleasure is all mine," Kim Jiyeon replied, her tone edged with bitterness. "Jaejoong, it's lovely to see you doing so well," she added with a forced smile, though her eyes betrayed her true feelings.

 

Jaejoong took Su Jin by her hands to where Yoochun and Junsu were. Su Jin turned to Jaejoong, "Thank you for stepping in,

What did she do or say?”  he inquired, his voice tinged with concern and worry.

"Nothing, really. It was just uncomfortable being around her," she admitted with a sigh.

Su Jin, I promise I didn’t invite her

Yoochun defended his friend, “I asked, and it turns out she was invited by a PR agency.

 

Junsu chimed in, trying to lighten the mood. "Well, let's not let that ruin the rest of the day. There's still plenty to enjoy," he said with a cheerful smile.

 

After conversing with family and friends, Kim Jaejoong excused himself to go to the bathroom. On his way out, he noticed Jiyeon waiting for him, his expression tensed.

"What are you doing here?" Jaejoong asked

Jiyeon stepped closer  "I needed to talk to you, Jaejoong," she replied, her voice low.

Jaejoong's tone turned firm. "There is nothing to talk about."

"Are you still holding a grudge even after all these years?" Jiyeon questioned, her gaze searching his face.

"The past is the past," Jaejoong responded tersely, making to move past her. However, Jiyeon reached out and grasped his arm.

"Did you really move on?" she pressed, her tone pleading.

 

Jaejoong sighed, his patience wearing thin. "Yes, Jiyeon. I've moved on," he asserted, his voice tinged with anger.

Jiyeon studied his expression, searching for any hint of falsehood. "Are you sure?" she persisted, her grip tightening slightly on his arm.

Jaejoong met her gaze "I'm sure," he replied firmly, gently freeing his arm from her grasp. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back.

 

As he started to move, he heard Jiyeon's voice behind him. "I miss your touch, Jaejoong. I miss how you say my name," she confessed, her tone filled with longing.

 

Jaejoong didn't spare her a glance, his steps quickening as he continued on his way. But what made him stop was a question he didn’t see coming “Do you love her?

 

Jaejoong paused in his tracks, he turned slightly, his expression tight as he faced her once more.

"It's none of your business," he replied sharply, his tone laced with frustration.

"I need to know, Jaejoong. Please," she implored.

"Yes, I do… I really do love her.

With those words, Jaejoong turned away and made his way back to the gathering. He couldn't shake off the realization that he had just voiced his feelings for Su Jin for the first time.