Model

The Warmth of Spring

The Haute Couture Fashion House, Balmain, suffered a severe crisis when their top model was caught in a huge and damaging scandal involving illicit drugs and tax fraud.

 

The scandal threw Balmain’s parent company, Kim Corporation into a disarray, completely affecting their image. Some investors wanted to withdraw their money from Kim Corporation, which owns a large chain of shopping malls as well as Balmain.

 

Several meetings were held in which Kim Jaejoong, Balmain’s young CEO, tried to convince the shareholders to be more patient and to trust him. Finally given the chance, he was determined to solve the problem even though it wasn’t particularly his fault.

 

Jaejoong returned to his office and called his secretary. “Call the US headquarter to terminate Anne’s contract now”. Just then, his father - CEO of Kim Corporation – arrived at his office, prepared to discuss the present issue with his son.

 

That evening, Jaejoong didn’t leave the office. He pulled an all-nighter instead, exploring ideas and searching for a clever solution to fix Balmain’s reputation. The next morning, he asked his secretary to bring him clean clothes so he could look presentable for the day’s meetings. 

 

The next meeting was with the Marketing and Financial Team, the Designers, Public Relations Managers, and his father. The Marketing Team presented their proposals, which included who should be the new face of Balmain for the upcoming Summer collection. 

 

Our new collection for women is classy, yet casual. We have dresses, printed pants, and blazers designed to fit any event. Even businesswomen can wear them and look hip and elegant! I think since Suzy has become quite the rage now, she would be perfect for us! She can pull off the cute, yet serious aura.” Mr Jung finished his presentation then returned to his seat. His teammates also presented their ideas.

 

But Jaejoong didn’t seem pleased at all. He stood up, took off his blazer, rolled up his sleeves, and walked up to the large screen, seemingly frustrated.

Balmain is not just a Korean or Asian brand. It’s an international brand. We have to maintain our image. I know that Suzy, Sistar, and all the idols you mentioned have potential, but we want someone who will make the whole world forget about the scandal, someone who will make our image stronger, make everyone talk about the new collection, surprise everyone.” 

 

The whole meeting room broke into chattering, some muttering that maybe Jaejoong was asking for too much.

 

I thought of a new strategy that needs to be discussed.” Jaejoong cleared his throat and continued.

We now need to consider a global strategy. It will cost a lot but the budget we allocate to it won’t be as much as when we use different models and have shoots for each country. So my idea is, the same advertisement and the same model for all our subsidiaries, even in the US and Europe.”

 

Everyone looked puzzled, even his father. 

Why hasn't anyone proposed model Lee Su Jin? She's the nation’s pride. She has never modeled for any Asian clothing brand. She has only modeled for Cosmetic products in Korea, so it would be a first. She is well-known on every continent.” 

 

Jaejoong looked at all the staff present in the room for approval. Everyone smiled, proceeding to discuss the idea and its many perspectives. The manager facilitating the meeting proposed they vote, though suspecting a probable agreement. Everyone voted for Jae Joong’s idea. However, he was still not fully content.

 

I am not 100% content," Jaejoong continued. "Lee Su Jin is really busy. She has so many engagements, here and overseas.”

He turned to the Public Relations manager and asked. “Please find her agency’s contact, ask for her schedule and see if she is in Korea.” 

 

They nodded, accompanied by a low muttering, “It won’t be easy.” 

 

Yes it won’t be easy but we will work together. We will discuss the financial problems later, when we are sure about the model.

He bowed. “Please work hard.” 

 

The meeting ended with a cheerful applause. Jaejoong headed to his office with his father, who patted him on the shoulder.

Jaejoong-ah, you did well. Keep up the good work.

 

The next day, Jaejoong arrived at the office a little later because he had to take care of some non-work related issues. In his office, he finds Park Yoochun - his best friend, also a managing director. He anticipates bad news. 

 

Well, yesterday the managers contacted her agency. They didn’t want to give out her schedule, only said she's too busy.” 

Jaejoong sighed out of frustration. 

 

But, early this morning, I contacted the agency myself and got her manager’s phone number. After a long discussion with the CEO, I got her schedule. He seemed reluctant because of our recent scandal.” Yoochun shows Jaejoong her schedule.

 

She really is busy, and I honestly don't think she'll accept what we have to offer but I will call her manager as soon as they land.” 

 

Jaejoong looked at the schedule, noticing that she was going to stay in Korea for only a month and then will be going to Paris. She just has way too many activities.

 

Jaejoong ruffled his hair. "We should meet her. Let’s find a way.” 

Yoochun knew his friend was putting in a lot of effort to conjure up a plan, to the point of offering a personal meeting with the model. Though for Jaejoong, models are just some arrogant, selfish plastic beauties, and he really hated the narcissistic character that they portray.

A few minutes later, Jaejoong’s parents arrived at his office to check out the issue. He and Yoochun both greeted them.

 

Jaejoong, you don’t seem fine... At all.” His mother his hand and he flashes her a small smile.

His father then added, “What happened with the model, did you contact her?

 

Jaejoong pushed the files that were on the table towards his father, whose jaw dropped after reading the schedule. Mrs. Kim didn’t know what was going on until her husband explained that they can’t have Lee Su Jin as their model.

 

I am meeting Mrs. Lee this afternoon at her home to discuss the new MK stores. I can speak to her and see if there’s anything she can do.” Mrs. Kim said. 

 

Jaejoong looked at her, eager to respond, only to be cut off by his father

What can she do? She won’t force her daughter to sign a contract with us! She would never model for us, especially after a big scandal!

 

Jaejoong didn’t let his father continue. “Can she convince her to meet us?

His mother nodded. “I will try, but I'm certain she doesn't interfere with her daughter’s activities."

 

Mrs Kim arrived at the Lee’s house, greeted by a good-humored woman named Lee Ji Woo. She led her to the garden since it was a warm day. They talked for a couple of hours - about business – then revolved to talking about their families, since they were high school friends.

Ji Woo, you remember the problem we talked about a couple days ago?” 

Mrs. Lee nodded. “Yes. Did you terminate the contract with the American model?” 

Mrs. Kim smiled. “Yes, we found a solution, but I need your help.

Her friend’s eyes were filled with curiosity. “My help? How can I help you?” 

Mrs. Kim knew her friend was a reliable person, so she told her everything.

Su Jin came back three hours ago. She is sleeping right now. If she wasn’t tired from the flight and her tight schedule I would wake her up. I will talk to her later. You know I have never interfered with her work, but I would do it for you.” 

Jaejoong’s mother thank her and they continued their talk. 

Half an hour later, Lee Su Jin came downstairs, dressed casually. She had already showered and was ready to head out. She asked Ahjuma where to find her mother, whom she figured was probably in the garden. Walking in, Su Jin bowed to the woman who was with her mother.

 “Annyeonghaseyo, I am Su Jin,” she said smiling.

Su Jin-ah, where are you going? You just arrived.” 

The daughter sat down next to her mother and replied, “I have to go to the agency. You know, since I have been overseas for 3 months.” Just then the maid came with food for her since she didn’t have the chance to sit down for lunch earlier. 

Su Jin, don’t you remember Aunt Kim, my friend?” She lowered her head in embarrassment. Her mom laughed, “My high school friend.” 

She immediately stood and bowed. “Excuse me, Aunt. It has been a long time since I last saw you.” Mrs. Kim gave her a reassuring smile.

And she is Mr. Kim’s wife, from Kim Corporation and Balmain.” She bowed once more, shaking her hands. “I am a big fan of the brand, everything you make is just perfect!” 

Mrs. Kim thanked the young lady. “I can see that you are wearing Balmain’s jacket. It’s a pleasure.” 

Su Jin answered, “The pleasure is all mine.” 

Mrs Kim couldn’t help but be amazed at the girl’s kindness. “Ji Woo, you have an amazing daughter. I have met a lot of celebrities before, but they were hot-headed and nasty, and then...Look at her! She's so sweet and nice.” 

After a long chat about fashion and work, Su Jin brought up the recent scandal. “I heard through the internet and some colleagues.”

Mrs. Kim played with her fingers. “Well, Su Jin, I just talked to your mother about it, and... I wanted to ask you something.

She looked at her mother, then at Mrs. Kim. “Anything for you Aunt.” 

She smiled. “Well, it’s quite difficult. Anne is no longer the face of our company and the directors want you instead.” There was an awkward silence.

I know that you have a tight schedule. We checked that with your agency, so... we kind of already expected you to decline.” 

Su Jin was surprised that they contacted her agency. “I am here for only a month. I don’t have much free time. I have 3 free days to rest, then head off to Paris. I don't know when I'll be back, but I do not wish to decline your offer! Modeling for Balmain was always a dream for me! It’s a big opportunity, but unfortunately I can’t cancel any activities.” 

Mrs. Kim grew sad, but Su Jin tried to cheer her up immediately. “Aunt, I really want to help. I don’t care about money, it’s all just formalities with my agency! I want to help because your family is close to mine. I will discuss this with my manager and the CEO.” 

She came closer and hugged her. “Thank you so much for just thinking about it! Your consideration means too much!” 

Su Jin smiled. “Aunt I can't promise you anything, but I will see what I can do." Mrs Lee hugged her daughter in gratitude of her generosity.

Can I have your number so I could contact you?” They exchanged their phone numbers and Su Jin smiled a quiet smile.

Excuse me, my manager is waiting for me.” She bowed and took her leave.

Lee Su Jin found her manager waiting at the car for her at the entrance of her house. “Unnie, did you get some rest?” Su Jin asked.

She smiled. “Not at all, I had so much to deal with!” Su Jin gave her a questioning look, so she explained. “As soon as I arrived home, someone named Park Yoochun contacted me. He is from Balmain and he wanted-

Yes I already know, so what did you tell him?” 

You know? Well we had a long conversation, but I told him you can’t do it.”

The young lady explained everything to her manager on their way to the agency. Su Jin wanted to help them because Mr. and Mrs. Kim are close friends to her family and they played a major role in her family’s success.

Su Jin-ah, you will be tired. We will have to convince the CEO.” 

Mrs. Kim arrived at her home and immediately went to her husband’s study, where she found him working with Jaejoong and Yoochun.

She greeted them and asked about what they’ve been doing. They explained how they are trying to change their strategy and look for a French model. Her son said European models want to work with Balmain, and they're less arrogant. Mrs. Kim shook her head in disappointment and told them everything that happened at the Lee’s house. How Su Jin wanted to cooperate. How kind she was. Everything. The three men were speechless.

Jaejoong was in disbelief. The girl who he considered selfish and arrogant is willing to work on her free days, and doesn't even care about money?

And she is a fan of the brand. She was wearing one of our designs today.” His mother continued with a cheeky smile.

Yoochun countered, “Yes, I remember she once said so at an interview. I hope she will contact you soon.”

An hour later, Mrs. Kim’s phone rang. It was Lee Su Jin. Everyone became silent.

Annyeonghaseyo Aunt Kim, I am Su Jin. How have you been?

Ah yes, I am fine dear, how about you?” Mrs. Kim replied.

Ne, fine. I talked with the agency and they accepted. I have a free day tomorrow before the start of my schedule. Can you please see if I can meet with the directors?” 

Mrs. Kim swelled with happiness, a large smile gets plastered on her face. “Of course! Thank you so much my dear, thank you!” 

Su Jin chuckled, “It’s okay Aunt. I will have my manager talk with the director who called her, to set the time for tomorrow. I will go now, I still haven’t seen my father. I will be having dinner with my parents. Good night.” 

The four of them couldn’t believe their ears. They were beyond happy. Jaejoong bowed to his mother “Thank you, omma!” Then, he turned to his friend.

Yoochun, let’s go to Balmain now to prepare for tomorrow’s meeting. We’ll call the manager on our way there."

Jaejoong drove while his friend made the call to Su Jin’s manager. His phone was on speaker so Jaejoong could hear the conversation.

They set the time for 10:00 AM. Both were shocked when she told them Su Jin put pressure and threatened her CEO that she will leave the agency if he doesn’t agree to have her be Balmain’s model.