Funeral

The Warmth of Spring

 

Su Jin’s schedule was tight, she didn’t get any rest during her stay at Japan. For the first time she wasn’t happy with what she was doing, she was absent minded, all she was thinking about was what’s happening in Seoul, how will she announce her decision to the family and media. She spent three weeks in Japan, she still have only one more week to return home, and think about all what was bothering her.

Minju called her at night to talk with her, they didn’t get in touch with her since a week. After the greetings, they talked about the baby girl, and how she is growing up.

“I sent Jaejoong a text yesterday, asking him how the procedures were going, and he didn’t reply.”

“It has been two days since Jaejoong didn’t go to the company, he- “She couldn’t finish her sentence because Su Jin interrupted her,

“Why? Did something happen?”

“Yoochun told me that his grandmother is really sick, and is admitted to the hospital. That’s why he didn’t answer, you should call him and call Junsu too.” Su Jin was scared, she was sad, she loved the old woman, and can’t imagine something bad happening to her. She started crying, and asked for more details about her health, then the moment she hung up, she called Jaejoong, but didn’t answer, he must thought that she was going to ask about the divorce, and he was not in the mood to talk about it. She then talked with Junsu, and Jaejoong’s parents.

She wanted to return to Korea as soon as possible, but due to her prior engagement and contracts, she couldn’t leave even for a day. Every day, Su Jin would send a text to Jaejoong and Junsu, wishing a quick recovery to their grandmother, and she always receive the same answer for her husband. ‘I hope so, thank you’

She knows how much he love the old woman and what he meant to her, whenever she visited her, she always tell her stories about him and Junsu.

A week later, Chang Wook called Su Jin late at night, she was startled and scared

“H-hello?”

“Jin, you should come to Seoul right now, Jaejoong’s grandmother is in a critical condition, she won’t make it.” 

She couldn’t answer, she cried, and changed her clothes, she also prayed that the old woman, her friend, won’t die. Thankfully, the flight time from Tokyo to Seoul, was only 1 H 57min, she took a cab, and went directly to the airport, where she found quickly a flight ticket.  

3 hours later, she was in the entrance of the hospital, she entered, and run to halmoni’s room, when she was there she saw her family, her husband’s family, and friends there, Jaejoong was standing alone in a corner, she could feel and see sadness and sorrow in his eyes.

She was told to enter the room, when she did, she found her mother and father-in law, there with Junsu’s parents, she hugged them, then she went near the grandmother, and took her hand,

“Halmoni, are you okay?” She didn’t answer, and Su Jin put her head on the woman’s shoulder and cried “Halmoni, you can’t leave, you said that we are friends, did you forget? Friends won’t let each other down, right? What about the kids we used to visit? Who will buy them gifts, who will take care of them?”

A small voice said “You can do it, you have a big heart, a big heart that can love million of people, but can’t love one Jaejoong, please take care of him, please don’t leave him, it’s my will for you, stay with him, he is a good boy, I know he is suffering right now, he is so close to me, take care of him and my baby Junsu.”

“Halmoni… please don’t leave…”

“Warm his heart. You know that I don’t have a granddaughter, but God sent you to me, you treated me like a mother, like a friend, I felt young whenever I was with you, I didn’t get the chance to see my grand grandchildren, hope I can see them from there.” She said and looked at the sky.

Su Jin kissed her hands and forehead and left the room, when she left Jaejoong, and Junsu joined their parents in the room. An hour later, Junsu exited the room crying a lot, then Jaejoong returned to his corner, but didn’t cry, he seemed like he will faint at any moment.

The elders got out crying too, and were consoled by the family and friends who were waiting outside. Su Jin comforted Junsu, who was crying hard, he then said “I’m worried about hyung.” She then looked at Jaejoong who didn’t cry, and was still looking at the window. Then she heard his parents talking about how shocked Jaejoong must be, because he didn’t show any reaction, and how much they were worried. 

Su Jin decided to go and see him, she gathered all her courage, and went and stood in front of him.

“Jaejoong-si” She said, he looked at her, his eyes were filled with sadness,

“My heart is with you in this time of sorrow, this must be hard for you, we will miss her.” He looked at her, then he remembered what his grandmother told him in her deathbed.

“Jaejoong-ah, my baby, my angel, please take care of yourself, don’t overwork, and don’t skip meals, I want you to live a better life, to smile more, I want you to always wear the smile you have when I’m around. Please my baby, don’ be sad when I’m gone. I heard that you had a fight with your wife, please don’t fight with her, I know you suppressed your feelings in order to keep peace with others. Many people did what you did, and as a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. But maybe that’s not the case for you, Maybe God has a bigger plans in term of happiness and love for you than you had for yourself. Your cold heart, will change, just be patient, and try to love her, she is the warmth of spring to your cold heart. I write you a letter, you will find lot of things about me and her, read it.”

He looked at her, and didn’t answer, he hugged her, she was startled, she hugged him back, and said “It’s okay… You can let it out, you can.” His tears started to fall, and then he cried all his heart, she patted his back and cried with him. His parents were felling much better after he cried, because he started to worry them when he was emotionless.

 

After the funeral Su Jin accompanied Jaejoong to their home, and decided to drive his car because he looked so tired, when they arrived, she went to his home, prepared a hot bath for him and his pajamas, and told him “Jaejoong-si”

“Yes?” He was holding a glass of alcohol, still wearing his suit and holding a letter hesitating whether to read it now or later.

“You should take a bath to relax a little, I prepared it for you.” He smiled and went upstairs. She did the same; she took a bath, and went to her bed.

 

When Jaejoong showered, he went to bed, lighted a cigarette, and opened the letter his grandmother left him, he was surprised, his late grandmother told him stories about what she did with his wife, how she took her out whenever she has a day off, she took her an orphanage where they took care of kids, they tried to make them smile for a day with gifts, foods, and even played with them, Su Jin took the old woman to Namsan Tower, they both went to SPAS, Su Jin showed halmoni places she used to visit when she was still young, she showed her places she never saw, they went to late night dates, ate street food, did some photo shoots. Jaejoong saw his grand mom’s pictures and smiled, he thought at how much fun she must have had. The late madam Kim told him everything they did from the day he married Su Jin. The letter was very long, while reading it, he was crying, because he remembered his grandmother, and because he wronged Su Jin, he insulted her, he was thinking that whenever she left the house she was cheating on him.

 

Two weeks have passed and Jaejoong’s situation was getting worse, he only works, drinks and smokes a lot, his health started deteriorating, one day Su Jin woke up early to prepare breakfast for her husband but he didn’t wake up, she went near his room, and heard loud coughs, she knocked, when she didn’t hear an answer she opened the door, and entered, she saw many alcohol bottles on the floor, which surprised her, knowing how neat Jaejoong was. The room smelled cigarette, and Jaejoong was still in bed, she went near him and put her hand on his forehead, he was burning, she woke him up, “Yah, you want to kill yourself?”

“Just leave me alone.”

“No, I won’t, I will bring you some medicine, you will take a shower while I clean this room, and breakfast is ready.” He was surprised at how she talked to him, but he did as she said. When he finished his shower, his room was clean, and smelled good. He then went downstairs where Su Jin was waiting for him to eat together.

 

“Change your clothes, we will go out.”

“Where? Are we invited to the family’s?”

“No, you will see.”

He went near the garage, and found Su Jin standing there,

“Give me your keys, I will drive.”

“It’s okay, I will drive.”

“You don’t trust me because I’m a woman, don’t worry nothing will happen to your car.”