; XXV

When I and You Become Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

XXV

 

 

There were always time when someone want to give up, after everything happened in their life—bad or good. That happened to a lot people, no one would deny that one thing. But, that wasn’t Soojung’s type. She had suffered a lot in her past and she promised to herself she won’t ever give up whenever bad things happen to her.

She grew up with strong personality that she built by herself. She left her grandparents home when she entered high school at Seoul, going through a lot of things by her own. As a student and also part time worker in the past, she got experiences that she doubt, she won’t got it if she still stuck with her grandparents.

Soojung grew up with a bunch of love from her grandparents, even though they didn't think the same way—her family was broken and left her alone—Soojung would always appreciate them in her life as the reason why she still perfectly fine until today. Long story short, she loves her grandparents more than anything.

So that’s why she never complained she should stuck in the hospital until Tuesday, with Jongin who still stayed with her, she never said anything bad to sleeping at couch only to accompany her grandma. Soojung promised to herself she would stay until grandma awake, or atleast, getting better.

And miracle happened. In the morning around nine AM, Soojung was just finished her breakfast when Jongin frozed in his place, Jongin’s eyes stuck at grandma. He waited for seconds—literally ignore Soojung’s question what happen?—and finally whispered, “I think she’s awake.”

“She is what—”

Jongin put his plate on table and moved fast, “I’ll call the nurse, you stay here.”

He ran to outside and yet, Soojung didn't move an inch. She stared at grandma who’s still laying lifelessly on bed, she held her breathe until a simple movement from grandma’s fingers right before her eyes. Soojung almost lost her breathe, and that time, she thought that maybe, just maybe, grandma had a second chance to life.

Everything went so fast, Soojung didn't remember everything in perfect orders. She only remembered when Doctor and nurses came inside room, then she followed to stay beside grandma. Her mind went full of thoughts all of sudden, Soojung wanted grandma to comeback and accompany her, Soojung wanted her to stay alive so that she would take care grandma even better than ever and she would listen to Soojung whenever Soojung need someone to lean on.

Most of all, Soojung didn't want to be alone in this world.

Her tears were all over her eyes, ready to fall but she held it back hard. She couldn’t cry, no, she should be someone who’s strong. She could stay strong, after almost two straight days she never cried anymore.

Seconds passed, minute came. Minutes passed, yet her grandma stayed still. Soojung almost lost her hope—almost, until she saw by herself grandma opened her eyes really really slowly. Grandma still looked pale and weak, but as she opened her eyes perfectly, she directly looked at Soojung on her side.

“S-Soojung...” that slipped Grandma’s tongue was the reason Soojung’s wall finally crumbled and she lost her tears on face. “It’s me, Grandma. I-I’m here.”

*

 

It was a perfect morning in early November. Soojung arrived in front of her office around 8.15 AM, with Jongin by her side. Jongin stopped his car and looked right into his girlfriend who prepared to get off of car.

“Make sure you eat your lunch, Soojung,” he said when they eyes met. Soojung gave a faint smile and nod, “You too, call me if you need anything.”

Jongin let out a warm laugh, despite dark circles under his eyes he still looked charming this morning, “I am the one who’s supposed to say that. If you need anything, please, call me.”

“Make sure you’ll answer it,” Soojung shot him a look.

“Sure thing.”

“Okay, so, see you later. You don't need to pick me up if you’re tired.”

“I’m fine,” Jongin gave her an assuring look. “Don’t forget to call your grandma at lunch.”

Soojung nodded lightly. They exchanged glances for a moment until Jongin took off his seatbelt and leaned closer; he brought Soojung to his embrace and hugged her tight. They didn't say a single thing, not a word even when Jongin squeeze her hand slowly, “Have a good day,” he whispered.

They stayed with same position until they didn't know. It felt like both Soojung and Jongin didn't want to break the contact or break the warm touch between them. It felt like they hadn’t touch each other for thousand years, when just barely made any skinship ever since Soojung’s birthday. Jongin then moved his head really really slowly and finally gave a light peck on her cheek.

“That’s a fighting kiss for my tough girlfriend,” he said which made Soojung chuckled.

She simply nodded and gave him a light peck on his cheek as well. “That’s a gift for my warm boyfriend. She wishes you to have a good day, too.”

 

 

Soojung guessed she would get tons of questions as soon as she arrived on her floor. Well, of course she had told her boss she need a short break because of some reasons. But there was no way everyone would know about her Grandma’s condition—she had told her boss to not tell people about this. Soojung simply didn't want them to pity her.

Believe her, she had guessed about people asking her, but she didn't expect Seulgi would dragged her inside her office room and closed the door right after she walked out of lift—like right now. Seulgi asked her to sit down first—which actually didn't have too—on Soojung’s own room.

“So, how are you?—wait, no—how are your grandmother? Is she fine?”

“Seulgi.” Soojung eyed her best friend. “I’m just arriving!”

“That’s why! Believe me, I try to help you avoid the same question again and again from our curious co-workers. You can tell me what you want to tell, and I will tell them if you want.”

“Why should you’re the one who tell the story?”

“Because,” the one eyelid girl smiled at Soojung, “You won’t see pity look from people again and again, right?” Soojung stayed silent this time and Seulgi continued, “So, mind to tell me what happened to your grandma?”

She took a deep breathe before finally she told her best friend everything. Everything she knew, everything what Doctor told her for the past six days, includes Sehun and Jongin. Seulgi didn't say anything, until Sooung finished her story with a sigh, “So.. yeah, now I’m here.”

“She’s awake now?” Seulgi asked to assure things. Soojung nodded, “There is an old woman, she’s my grandma’s friend and also her closest neighbor, she is willingly taking care of my grandma starts from yesterday.”

“Whoa she’s so kind.. doesn't she have personal life?”

“She only has one daughter and she lives in Seoul, so you can say she has plenty of free time.”

Seulgi nodded her head slowly, “So.. that’s why. Will you pay her later?”

“Of course. She’s more than nice, I can't imagine if she’s not there to come and visit Grandma.”

“I want to visit her someday, can I?”

Soojung eyed her best friend once again then she smiled, “Of course. I actually have to visit her every weekend and stay there until Sunday.”

“You’ll go back to Busan this Saturday?” Seulgi asked. Soojung remained silent for a while, “Uhm, I want to go at Friday night but I’m not sure about Jongin. I’ll ask him late—”

“Jongin?”

“Yeah, he wants to accompany me everytime I visit grandma so.. we’ll go there together.”

Seulgi frowned, “Wa-wait, is it because of Sehun?”

“What? Of course no, Seulgi. He offered himself, this have nothing to do with Sehun.”

“Are you sure?”

Soojung nodded her head without hesitation, “What makes you think that way?”

“Nothing, I thought he’s jealous because Sehun was the one who brought you to Busan,” Seulgi shrugged. “But that’s a good sign of Jongin. He should take care of you more, I know he’s busy lately.”

A smile appeared in Soojung’s lips. “Yeah. I’m glad he is here with me.”

“He should,” Seulgi said. “He’s your boyfriend afterall. This is part of his job.”

Soojung laughed as she leaned her back. The two grown up woman continued their conversation for some minutes. Soojung told Seulgi to not say anything about Sehun and Jongin to their co-workers. She wanted them only to know about her grandma’s condition and wish her for get better soon. Few minutes later, Seulgi walked out of the room.

And it was a story how Soojung passed her first morning at office after back from Busan. She was actually still tired, realizing that she and Jongin was just arrived in Seoul around nine PM last night. But she knew she still had works to do and there was no time to get rest, even only for a while.

*

 

Naeun wasn’t it good condition this morning. She threw up again this morning, right before Jongin came to her place. She looked a bit pale, but more than anything, Naeun looked all right. Her bump on stomach could be seen more clearly than last week. She cleaned her toilet and walked out of bathroom, found Jongin was sitting on the couch.

“Hey,” she gave a weak smile. Naeun walked pass him through the kitchen bar and drink her mineral water. “You’ll go again this morning?”

Jongin didn't move nor reply her. A frown on Naeun’s face appeared as soon as she looked at his face and sat down right beside him. “Something’s up?”

“You said you’re fine, Naeun.” That was the first time Jongin talk after minute passed. And judging his tone, Jongin wasn’t pleased to see Naeun threw up again.

“I’ll be fine.”

“You said you stopped throw up few days later!”

“That was the truth! I felt better when I texted you that day,” Naeun replied with a glare. “It doesn't mean I won’t throw up again for the next day, Jongin. You know it’s normal for a pregnant woman like me.”

This time, her voice went soft. Her face too, she was unhappy to see mad Jongin at her place few seconds ago but she decided to held her anger back. Jongin didn't understand, Naeun thought.

“Now, tell me, do you anything? Does.. the baby.. need anything?” Jongin asked back, with smoother tone. He looked straight into Naeun’s eyes, and when he found a small dark circle under her eyes, Jongin changed his expression all of sudden. He felt bad. He didn't knew why, though.

“No, I’m fine now.”

“You sure?” He asked again. “I won’t be back until Sunday night so if you need anything, just tell me, I’ll buy it right now.”

“No, Jongin. I am seriously fine,” Naeun slowly touched his palm and squeezed it softly. “I want you to stay longer here, but I know that’s selfish, so you just have to go now,” she mumbled.

He stayed still. For a moment, Jongin couldn’t think straight. She was just.. conffesed him to stay, wasn't she? Jongin didn't misheard things, did he? He took a glance at Naeun’s soft hand that still on his palm. Somehow, he felt safe in her touch. And she felt so fragile at the same time.

Naeun was like.. she’s seeking attention, or it was just him?  Jongin gulped as soon as the thought of Soojung waited for him at her place with Seulgi crossed his mind.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter