Chapter 9

A Friend Of Mine

Not far away from the two, Amber stood behind a tree holding a sandwich on her hand. She saw what happened earlier but when she will go to rescue her bestfriend, Minhyuk already showed. She then steps back a little because she knew that she can’t take down those bullies. If those bullies punches her, she is a hundred percent sure that she will pass out and not to be able to defend Krystal. She sighed in relief when she saw that Minhyuk flew away those bullies in an instant and Krystal isn’t hurt. But then, Amber felt a little jealous when Minhyuk gave Krystal a necklace, and now they are happily eating their lunches together.

“I guess I’ll just join them next time.” She mumbled and walks away. She thought that it might be not a good time to go with them now. She saw how happy Krystal when talking to Minhyuk that she never saw when they are together.

During the whole period, Krystal cannot take away her stares at Minhyuk although she is just seeing his back from her desk. She thought maybe this is what they call a crush. Amber noticed this also but she just shrugged off his jealous feelings away and listen to the lecture instead.

It was dismissal time, Amber walks towards Krystal’s desk ready to take Krystal’s bag. When they are ready to go, Krystal went to Minhyuk. “Hey, Minhyuk.”

Minhyuk turned around “Hi Krys.”

Amber followed behind Krystal bring their bags together. “Uhmm...” Krystal hangs her head low because she didn’t want Minhyuk to see the blush on her face “... I just want to say thank you again... for what you did.” Krystal said shyly.

“No biggie, what they did to you is wrong so I only did the right thing.” Minhyuk said.

“Are we going home now?” Amber whispered to Krystal.

Krystal turned her head to Amber and nodded and back to face Minhyuk again. “We’re heading off now; I’ll take care of this.” Krystal pointed the necklace.

Minhyuk smiled and nodded “That necklace is important to me; I know I gave it to a right person. Bye Krystal ad Amber.”

Amber just nodded and Krystal waved her hand. When they are outside of the school, Krystal suddenly screams causing Amber to be surprise and lose her balance while biking. Fortunately, she manage to set her foot into the ground ahead if not both of them will fall. “Yah! Why did you scream? Are you alright?” Amber asked worriedly and turned her head at the back to see if something happened to Krystal.

“I’m just so happy!” Krystal said smiling while back hugging Amber.

Amber blinked her eyes a few times “Ehh?”

“Just go biking now and let’s stop at the convenience store. Buy me ice cream please.” Krystal said waking Amber from her trance. “HURRY UP!” and with that Amber resumed her biking.

After buying some ice cream, they stop by in a small park near their house and sit on a bench near a swing. “Amber.” Krystal called

“Hmm?” Amber hummed but she didn’t look at Krystal.

“I think I have a crush on him...” she motioned near Amber and leans her head at Amber’s shoulders “I think I have a crush on Minhyuk.”

“Oh yeah? How do say so?”

“Well... he saved me from a bunch of bullies earlier. She is my knight in shining armor! Oh Amber if you just witnessed it earlier, on how he stood up in front of me and defended me against those bullies. He is such a brave man...” Krystal said giggling to every sentence she said.

On the other side, Amber remained silent while eating his ice cream. ‘I know... I was there’ Amber said in her mind.

“... he even gave me this necklace to me...” Krystal holds the pendant and gave a kiss

 ‘Yeah yeah I saw it.’

Krystal lifts her head on Amber’s shoulders and she turned her body to her right to face the girl “Where did you go earlier? I was waiting for you at the table with Minhyuk.” Krystal asked.

“I... I was uhm...” Amber is scratching her head thinking of what she will say to Krystal. Is she going to say that she saw the whole thing or she will just say an alibi? “... I was at the clinic; my tummy aches again so I had to go.” She didn’t want to tell Krystal the truth that she saw everything and do nothing to those bullies. Well all thanks to Minhyuk though.

Until they got home, Krystal is still babbling about Minhyuk while Amber is just listening silently. When Amber went inside her room, she went to the mirror and looks at her reflection. She pulls her sleeves up to see her thin arms. She suddenly wanted to become fit like any other kid so that she will be able to defend Krystal next time. She went downstairs and knocks on her dad’s office and told her dad that she wanted to learn self defense and luckily, her dad agreed. She was attending taekwondo classes every weekend. She exercise and eat proper diet every day, she is really determined to get fit.

One day during their lunch, Krystal, Amber and Minhyuk are seated in the same table while eating their lunches. Amber is waiting for her sandwich that Krystal’s grandma made for her but Krystal gave it to Minhyuk instead

“Hey that’s my sandwich!” She slightly nudges Krystal at the side but Krystal only replied Amber with a glare. “Like I said, I just go buy one for my own.” Amber scratched the back of her head and Krystal just smiled widely at her.

It was their daily lunch routine; they will sit down together and will eat their lunches. Minhyuk and Krystal are always the one who are chatting while Amber is always eating her lunch silently because she can’t even squeeze a word.

When Amber and Krystal are on their way home, Krystal will start talking about Minhyuk to Amber, eventhough Amber already knew what Krystal will gonna tell her. When Amber and her mom went to the grocery, she saw a voice recorder at the electronics section of the store. She picks it up and bought it. She doesn’t know what the purpose for buying it, but she thought that someday it will be useful. While Krystal is busy talking about Minhyuk, Amber turns the recorder on.

Amber and Krystal are now in 5th grade. They are having their PE class as their last class for today. They are playing dodge ball. The class are divided in two groups; Minhyuk and Krystal are on the same team while Amber is in the other team. When Amber has a ball in her hands, she is always targeting Minhyuk but he manages to dodge the ball always “Darn.” Amber hissed. Amber tried and tried, when she got another ball in her hand, she took a deep breath before throwing the ball to Minhyuk. And this time she succeeded. She turned around and lifts her fist into the air “Yes!” she said in a low tone.

After the class, the two went home straight away. They are walking this time because Amber’s bike is broken.

“Have you seen Minhyuk’s face? His nose is bleeding earlier.” Krystal said while fidgeting the pendant of Minhyuk’s necklace.

“Really?” Amber said sounding like she doesn’t know such a thing.

Krystal just nodded. “I hope he’s okay now.”

While they are walking, Krystal suddenly stopped and bends down. “What’s wrong?” Amber asked.

“I have a small cut on my knee. I didn’t notice it earlier.” Krystal said and gets her handkerchief to wife off the blood around the wound.

Amber moves her face closer so that she can see the wound. She get’s Krystal’s hand and drag her to a nearest bench. “Sit down” she commanded Krystal. She sat in front of her and gets something from her bag. “I always bring these when we are having PE class. This might sting a bit.” Krystal winced in pain after Amber applied some betadine in it, but Krystal felt that the pain subsided when Amber immediately blows it. Afterwards, she places a pink band-aid on the wound. “There, it’s done hippo.”

“Thanks, toothpick. I love the band-aid, its pink!”

“I know you like pink.” Amber said while putting her things inside her bag. She turns her back at Krystal and places her bag in front of her.

“What are you doing?” Krystal asked

“I know you’re tired. I can lend you my back and besides I don’t want to see my pretty bestfriend to look so haggard.” Amber turned her face and smiled.

Krystal playfully slaps her back before hopping into it. “Ha! That’s right and of course...”

“You saved my life, I know, I know.” Amber cut her.

“Good thing you know.” Krystal said as her rest her head on Amber’s shoulder.

“So... is there anything that you wanna tell me? Anything about your knight and shining armor?” Amber asked while secretly turning her recorder on, on her bag.

 “Hmm... let see. Oh yeah! There was one time, that Minhyuk and his family was on vacation...” Amber smiled while listening to her bestfriend talking about Minhyuk although deep inside she is slightly feeling hurt, she just keep brushing it away.

“Hey hippo, we’re home now.” Amber said as they reached the front door of Krystal’s house. She smiled as she noticed that her bestfriend is sleeping at her back. Her arms are locked on Amber’s neck and her head is buried at her neck. She put Krystal right away on her bed after grandma opened the door for her. She gently tucks her in and afterwards she left the room.

When Amber is on her room, she immediately took her recorder at her bag and took the memory off and imports the file into the computer. After the file was transferred, she renamed it according to the date today. She copies it on a folder wherein she places all of Krystal’s recordings. She realizes that it has been two years that she is doing this.

“She must be really like him a lot Amber.”