Chapter 6

A Friend Of Mine

Amber was busy adding color on her desired sketch of her tree house. She was lying on the floor with her back facing the ceiling. There are many scattered crayons with different colors on the floor. When she is satisfied on her drawing she immediately went down and knocks onto her dad’s home office.

 “Come in!” she heard her dad shouted.

Amber opened the door and run towards her dad who is busy making a floor plan on his project. “Daddy!” Amber hugged her dad. Amber’s dad set aside his drawing materials and turns his attention to her child. He picks her up and makes Amber sit on his lap.  

Her dad smiled and patted her daughter’s head. “Hey kiddo, what can I do for you?”

Amber showed her drawing to his dad. “I finished it dad! I want my tree house to be like this.”

Her dad was so amazed by Amber’s work, because on an early age she can draw very well. Her daughter has a great talent in being an artist he thought. “Wow Amber the tree house is so beautiful. Alright, I’ll talk to my friend I’ll ask him if we can get some cheap materials so that we can make your tree house.”

Amber smiled and hugged his dad. “Thanks dad! You’re really the best!”

 

The next day, Krystal was sitting on her bed reading some book about fairytales but then she eventually became bored, so she closes the book and puts it back on the shelf. She unconsciously went to her window and see if Amber is on her room. “I think toothpick isn’t in her room...” she mumbled to herself. So she went downstairs and went straight to their back door at the kitchen and luckily she found Amber at the back of their house.

“Hey Amber!” She skips happily towards Amber.

“Hi Krystal.” Amber turned around and smiled at her.

“Wow, you’re in a good mood.” Krystal said.

Amber nodded. “I’m just so excited because tomorrow, dad will help me make my own tree house.”

Krystal saw the excitement in Amber’s eyes. She can’t help but to feel excited too. “Really? That’s good! Can I help?” Krystal clasps her small hands and looks at Amber with puppy eyes.

“Of course, you’re my friend. I don’t mind sharing my tree house to you.” Krystal smiled widely and immediately hugs Amber. “Y-you c-can... let g-go now... M-me can’t br-breathe!” Amber said as she repeatedly taps Krystal’s shoulder.

“Oh sorry. I’m just so excited that’s all.”

Amber immediately gasps for air as Krystal let go of the hug. “Its okay.” When Amber is okay, she gets her apple from her pocket and bites on it. She saw from her side that Krystal is looking at her, so she faces her and offers her apple. “You wanna bite?”

Krystal nodded and gets the apple from Amber’s hand. “Sure.” After biting, she gives the apple back to Amber. After a few seconds, Amber noticed that Krystal’s skin is getting red and Krystal’s breathing is becoming irregular.

“Are you okay?” Amber worriedly ask

“I... c-can’t breathe.” Krystal said while gasping for air and holding her chest.

Amber panicked that she throws her apple on the floor and patted Krystal’s back. “Stay here okay? I’ll go get some help.” When she was about to run and seek for help, Krystal holds her wrist preventing her from leaving her. Krystal can’t speak well but Amber can understand what was Krystal’s trying to say to her. So she kneels down on one knee and holds Krystal’s hand. “Don’t worry, I’ll be right back.” Krystal just nodded and seems convinced in Amber’s words so she finally let go of her hand. Amber immediately rushes into the Jung’s residence and seeks for help.

Amber stood outside of Krystal’s room. She was nervous and worried at the same time. She didn’t know how she manages to piggyback Krystal from the back of their house going to the Jung’s house. It must be adrenaline, she thought. It may look quite impossible because Amber is so skinny and Krystal is so chubby. But she is so happy that she did it. Suddenly the door opened and Krystal’s mother let her in.

“Thank you Amber for bringing Krystal here.” Mrs. Jung thanked Amber and patted her head.

“No problem Mrs. Jung.” Amber smiled and bowed.

After that, Krystal’s mom left the room leaving Amber and Krystal only in the room. Amber walks towards Krystal’s pink bed and sit on the edge. “I won’t ever let you eat apples again.”

“But they are so yummy.” Krystal cutely said.

“But you’re allergic to them! I was really panicking earlier. I don’t know what to do!” Amber said as she puts her hand on her head massaging it. She was so stressed out because of what happened earlier

Krystal got up from her bed and hugs Amber very lightly. “Thanks for saving me.” Krystal whispered and she rests her head on Amber’s shoulders.

Amber sighed and patted Krystal’s head. “Just don’t eat them okay? I’ll just give you mangoes instead.” Krystal smiled and nodded.

 

Days passed, the tree house is slowly coming to life. Amber and Krystal helps Amber’s dad in doing the work. Krystal and Amber painted the tree house with red and blue because it was their favourite color. They are both satisfied and happy. It may seem small but it can fit for two people. They started placing their things inside like their toys, books, coloring materials, teddy bears, some pillows and blankets and some food so they can eat them if they get hungry. It seems that whenever Krystal and Amber are inside the tree house, they are drowned in their own little world. They feel happy and free and they are proud to call the tree house their own.

 

One night, it was raining hard and loud thunders can be heard and the wind is very strong. Amber stayed on her room because there was nothing to else to do. She randomly picks up a book and began to scan it. As she was about to go to sleep, she suddenly saw a flashing light coming from her window. She knew Krystal is calling her so she got up and walk towards the window. As she looks at the window she saw Krystal crying, so she immediately picks up a whiteboard marker and a small whiteboard and wrote “What happened?”

“I’m scared. Thunder.” Krystal wrote on the other end.

Amber immediately grabs her jacket hanging on the back of their door and hurriedly went downstairs to grab and umbrella. Krystal doesn’t know why Amber suddenly left. Amber cautiously went outside of their house because she knew that her parents are already asleep by this hour. She went through their back door and run towards the back door of the Jung’s house. Good thing Krystal told Amber the secret code so that she can unlock it.

Krystal was hugging her pillow when she heard a knock on her door. She wipes her tears and got up from her bed and went to the door. She was surprised as she saw Amber standing in front of her. “What are you doing here?” Krystal asked

Amber didn’t know what to say. She, herself didn’t also know what she’s doing in Krystal’s room. It seems like her feet just drag her all the way here. Before she can say anything, a loud thunder was heard causing Krystal to cover her ears. Amber walks Krystal towards her bed after closing the door. The girl clings on her every time she will hear a loud thunder sound. The two sat on Krystal’s bed while leaning their back on the headboard. Amber pulls up the blanket and covers their bodies in order to get a little warmer.

“You can’t sleep?” Amber asked and Krystal just shakes her head. Suddenly another loud thunder was heard and Amber immediately covers Krystal’s ears with her hand. Krystal snuggles closer to Amber as Amber continues to cover Krystal’s ears. They stayed in that position for a while and later on, Amber started to hear some light snores coming from Krystal. She knew that the girl already fell asleep. So she gently lies Krystal down and tucks her in. She gently wipes away the tears on Krystal’s cheeks and removes some hair strands on Krystal’s face. Amber felt something deep inside her that starting now until she gets older, she will protect Krystal with all her might. She smiled at that thought.

She carefully gets off her bed, not wanting Krystal to be awake. “Goodnight.” Amber whispered and she tiptoed towards the door.