Chapter 11

A Friend Of Mine

Amber walks towards to the field and climbs up to the bleachers where her bestfriend Krystal is sitting there alone. She sat herself beside Krystal and waited for the girl to talk first. Krystal is looking at the field like she was contemplating a very deep thought. Amber shrugged. She thought maybe Krystal didn’t notice her presence. To kill the boredom, Amber started making a flower origami and when she was done, she extended her hand in front of Krystal’s face, making the girl wake up from her trance.

Krystal swatted Amber’s hands and gives her an annoying look. Amber can’t help but to chuckle. She really likes to play jokes on her best friend. “Why did you call me?”

Krystal gets the paper flower from Amber’s hands and starts playing with its petals. “I have a problem.”

Amber shoved a slice of rice roll in before responding “What is it?”

Krystal also took one slice from Amber’s container but before she can put it inside , Amber slaps her hand. “Yah! Put it back!” Krystal shot her a glare but Amber didn’t mind it, instead she got another container from her bag and hands it over to Krystal. “Here. There’s no cucumber in it. I know you hate them.” Amber said not looking at Krystal, too bad she didn’t saw Krystal smiled at her. Although they always bicker or fight over things sometimes, they both knew that it is their unique way of showing how much they care and love each other... as friends, of course.

As they eat silently, Amber turned her head at Krystal to face her “So... tell me about your problem.”

Krystal let out a sigh after she swallowed her food. “You see, Valentine’s Day is coming and I haven’t thought of a gift that I’ll give to Minhyuk.” She pouted.

Amber looks at Krystal for a long time, and Krystal was hoping that she can get an advice from her friend. After a while, Amber places her hand on Krystal’s shoulder and looks at her deeply in her eyes. “Krys...”

“Yes?” Krystal said like she is anticipating for an answer. She knew that her friend is really good at this... helping her on her problems.

Amber looks down and sighed. “I’m sure that you’ll gonna think of something.” And with that, Amber picks up her bag, stood up and ready to leave.

After taking a few steps... “YAH!” She heard her bestfriend scream that it almost echoed throughout the field. Some of the athletes that are practicing on the field suddenly stopped and turn their attention to them. Amber places her hand on to muffle her laughs and she bowed to apologize to the people below them.

When she went back to Krystal, she received a hard slap on her head. She was prepared for it. “I was just joking.” Amber rubs the back of her head.

“That was so embarrassing. Aissh!” Krystal’s ears became so red, and she put her hands on her face.

“I know.” Amber cannot contain anymore her laughs but then again Krystal slaps her head again.

“Yah Liu, don’t forget that I-“

“Yes, you saved my life...” Amber cut her. How can she not forget it? She clears “So... did you have something in your mind?”

Krystal shook her head. “How about flowers?” Krystal said as she pointed the paper rose on her hand.

“You will give him flowers? Krys, you’re not a boy. Boys are the one who gives the flowers.” Amber said.

“Chocolates? Sweets?”

“Too common.”

Krystal sighed. She can’t think of anything that she will give to Minhyuk. Amber saw the troubled look at her bestfriend’s face. She glances at the clock and it was time for them to go home. “Hey come on; let’s think about that on some other day okay? Let’s go home.”

Krystal nodded and obeyed. As they walk pass the gate, Amber walks in front of Krystal, bends over, grab Krystal’s arms and encircled in on her neck.

“What are you doing?” Krystal asked.

“Piggyback.” She answered. Krystal smiled and hops into Amber’s back. “You want some ice cream?” Krystal responded by nodding at her shoulder. Amber surely knew how to make Krystal’s mood to boost up.

Along the way and until they got home, Amber also wanted to give Krystal a gift on Valentine’s. She doesn’t know why, she just wanted too. “Aissh!” Amber ruffled her hair in frustration. She flops herself into her bed thinking that maybe tomorrow she will come up of an idea.

 

“Still got nothing?” Amber said as she climbs up the tree house bringing some food that grandma Jung made for them.

 Krystal shook her head, walks towards Amber to help her with the food. They sat down on the floor while eating their snacks as they watch their favourite afternoon show at their small television. Afterwards, Amber felt something heavy on her shoulders. She smiled as she saw Krystal already fell asleep. She carefully lay Krystal down, placing her head on her lap making it as a pillow so that the girl will sleep comfortably and will not get any sore neck afterwards. Krystal moves her head closer at Amber in search for warmth. Amber knew that Krystal is very sensitive to cold so she took of her jacket and place it on top of Krystal.

As she continues to watch Krystal sleeping, a thought suddenly hits on Amber. She knew now how to help Krystal’s problem. She gets the recorder from her bag, plugs the headphones in and she starts to listen to it. She also took out a piece of paper and a pen and attentively listens to Krystal’s stories about Minhyuk.

Amber smiled as she finished writing. She was ready to give it to Krystal when she wakes up but then it seems that something is preventing her to do it. She looks down and chuckled as she saw Krystal sleeping with slightly open. “Close your mouth, flies might enter into it.” Amber whispered as she gently pushes her chin up.