Chapter 8

A Friend Of Mine

They are both coughing hard as they get out of the water. Krystal is holding Amber by the shoulder to support her and for not Amber to lose her balance. When they reached a dry place, they both lie down gasping for air. Krystal who the first one to recover, turns her head to the girl on her left. She immediately went beside Amber who is breathing really hard while her eyes still closed.

“Hey Amber, are you alright?” Krystal asked as she places her hand on Amber’s head and the other on the chest.

 Amber slightly nodded “Yes, I think so.” She opens her eyes and saw Krystal’s worried face.

“Thank God!” Krystal sighed. “I thought I wouldn’t be able to save you.”

Krystal helped Amber to be seated “Thanks for saving me.” Amber put her arms into Krystal’s waist and leans on her chest.

Krystal smiled and gladly returns the hug “I can’t afford to lose my best friend, you know.”

Amber broke the hug and looks at Krystal. “Now I know how you save me.” She let out a toothly grin.

“How?” Krystal curiously said.

“Because you have these in your tummy and your arms.” Amber pointed and gently squeezes the fats on Krystal’s arms and tummy. “See? You’ll easily float!” Amber pokes her tongue and quickly runs away

“YAH! COME BACK HERE!”

 

Krystal is really hard to wake up in the morning, but the thing that motivates her every morning is the food that her grandma will prepare for her lunch to be eaten at the school. She immediately went to the kitchen after preparing herself at her room.

“Chicken sandwich!” Krystal said as she peeks behind her grandma

“Yes it is Krystal. I’m doing some for Amber too.” Grandma Jung said.

She patiently waits for her food at their living room. She suddenly heard a bell sound, and with that she already knew who it was. She went towards their window and see if Amber is already at their front house.

“Grandma, Amber is here already!” She shouted. She gets her pink backpack and opens the front door and her grandma followed behind.

“Hey toothpick!” She greeted Amber. Amber transferred her backpack and places it in front of her so that Krystal can seat at the back of the bike.  Grandma Jung handed the lunchbox at Amber and Amber places it at the basket in front of the bike.

“Amber, I made you some chicken sandwich too.” Grandma Jung said.

“Thanks grandma, we’ll go now.” Amber said and Krystal automatically wraps her arms on Amber’s waist. “Bye grandma!” They both said in chorus and waved goodbye.

It was an ordinary school day for the two. They are third grade students and they are also in the same class. While travelling towards the school, Krystal leans her head at Amber’s back while enjoying the scenery and the warm breeze in the morning.

It was lunch time already and Krystal is on her way to the cafeteria when a bunch of little boys surround her.

“Hey chubby kid!” The kid in the middle said

Krystal felt scared as she turn her head left and right finding a way to escape but she is already been surrounded “What do you guys want?” She said while hugging her pink lunch box

“Give us your lunch!” The kid shouted and smirked

“No way! My grandma made these for me.” Krystal said as tears starts to form in her eyes.

Suddenly the little boy in the middle grabbed the pink lunch box causing the ziplock which contains the food to fall into the ground. The other boys immediately pick it up and left none for Krystal.

“Thanks for the food chubby kid!” The boys said while eating Krystal’s food in front of her.

“YAH! GIVE IT BACK!” Krystal and the bullies heard a voice coming at the back. He runs towards Krystal and stand in front of her “Leave her alone, or else I’ll tell this to my dad!” The boys who bullied Krystal immediately runs away like a wind because they all knew that Minhyuk’s dad is the assistant principal of the school.

Minhyuk turned around and gives her hand for Krystal to hold it for her to stand. She gladly took it and muttered ‘thanks.’ Krystal already knew Minhyuk because they are both in the same section. “Hey don’t cry.” Minhyuk said as she saw Krystal crying. “Here, I have an extra sandwich.” Krystal lifts her head up only to saw Minhyuk offering his sandwich to her.

“Are you sure?” Krystal silently asked

Minhyuk just nodded and smiled. Krystal gladly took it and smiled. “There, see you look cute when smiling.”

Krystal blushed as to what Minhyuk said but then she suddenly thought of the possibility that the bullies will come back again for her. “What if they comeback and bully me again?” Krystal sighed after taking a small bite at her sandwich

 Minhyuk took off his dog tag with a musical note at the center and gives it to Krystal. “They knew that it was mine, so when they will see that they will back off.” Minhyuk smiled and patted Krys