Chapter 22

A Friend Of Mine

“If you weren’t so slow, I would have been with Minhyuk right now!” Krystal said as she followed Amber into her studio “Oh hi Onew!” She greeted him upon seeing him at the counter.

“Hi Krys! Oh are you guys having a lover’s quarrel?” Onew joked and Amber rolled her eyes. “Poor Amber.” Amber got her revenge by throwing the tissue box on Onew and stuck her tongue out.

They are almost near the airport, riding Amber’s SUV. Krystal attentively listens to every radio station that has news about the CNBLUE on their whereabouts. Unfortunately for Krystal, the DJs didn’t want to reveal where they headed and that makes Amber smirking for victory. She was about to lose hope until they got to stop at the red light. Amber was so immersed in the song that she was bobbing her head and tapping her fingers into the steering wheel in sync to the song while Krystal on the other hand was sulking beside her. Then they heard a police siren that made Krystal to straighten up on her seat. It was the convoy of the CNBLUE.

“Yah, toothpick. It’s them! It’s really them!” Krystal screamed while shaking Amber sideways. Amber puts on a slightly annoyed face. Krystal ordered her to follow it but they were still on the red light. Amber did her might to follow the , well at first she started of slow but Krystal commanded her to move fast so she did. But in the end, they lost sight of the van.

Later that evening, Amber ate dinner at the Jung’s house as usual. As they start digging in, Nicole just come home fast walking towards the dining table. Throwing all her stuff at the couch not minding if they fall off.

“Wahh dinner looks delicious!” She said eyeing the food appetizingly. Amber rushed back into the kitchen, reaching a plate and utensils from the cupboard to be place on Nicole’s table. She was intentionally avoiding the fatal stares of her cousin by focusing on the food. “Thanks, Amber unnie!” The latter didn’t utter a word, cause she knew that if she defend Nicole again her bestfriend will kill her... not literally though. So she just patted her head and took a seat beside Krystal.

“Why are you late this time?” And there it is, the interrogation has begun. Amber, auntie and uncle Jung suddenly looked at each other that cause them to chuckle. Krystal playfully pinched Amber’s thigh making her winched in pain. She turned her gaze back to Nicole who seems to be enjoying her meal.

“Unnie...” She said as she quietly placed her fork at the side of the plate. “... have you heard?”

“Heard what? Yah Nicole Jung, don’t you dare to change the convers-“

“CNBLUE will have a mall tour!” She cuts her off, resulting Krystal to choke a bit. She blinked her eyes many times before speaking again.

“W-what did y-you s-say?!” Krystal stammered.

 

“YAH AMBER HURRY!” She screamed as she drags Amber by the hand towards the noisy crowd. As much as Amber hates it, she needs to accompany her. At first, Amber was pretending to delay her work for them to be late on the fan meeting at the mall. Until Krystal came by herself at the studio. She admits that she was really doing this for fun, but she couldn’t deny the fact that what she was doing will make her beloved hippo mad at her.

Feeling that Krystal can’t handle the crowd “Hold onto me.” She said before walking her way in front, to be able to make some space for her friend. Krystal was strong holding on Amber’s hands and shoulder, and once they make it in front Amber switched their positions making Amber at the back to protect Krystal.

She started to yell and joined the chants of the CNBLUE fans while Amber didn’t care a thing. She stood there uninterestingly. “MINHYUK! MINHYUK!” she voiced out very loud while raising the necklace in the air, thinking maybe Minhyuk will notice. On the other hand, Amber face palmed and shook her head.

The performance ended and Minhyuk and the other members left the place already. And to her dismay, Krystal failed on getting her knight in shining armor’s attention. Until, she heard from the host that the band will go to Jeonju as a part of their promotional tour around Korea.

Amber went to Krystal bringing with her two burritos and two large sodas. “Are you okay?” Krystal asked worriedly seeing Amber having a difficulty in walking.

 “I think I have a broken nail, that lady beside me was keeps on stomping it a while ago.” Amber said as soon as she sat beside Krystal at the bench. 

“Ahh it’s just reddish, good thing it doesn’t bleed.” Her bestfriend stated as she looks at Amber’s foot. They ate their snacks in silence until Krystal spoke. “Hey Am, did you know that the best bibimbaps are made in Jeonju?”

“Oh really?” Amber said looking at her rolled burrito.

The latter nodded. “Let’s go there!” clinging her arm to the other.

Amber sighed as she turned sideward to face Krystal “How far will you go running after Minhyuk?”

“Up to the ends of the earth.” She replied dramatically.

Amber scoffed and stood up from her seat. “You know Krystal, I’m sure if Nicole is the one who’s doing what you’re doing...” Amber put the trashes inside the bin and Krystal followed behind “... you already hanged her upside down.”

The two walk towards the exit and seeing that the rain is pouring down and they didn’t bring any umbrella, Amber slowly s her jacket and put it on top of her head. “Toothpick, Nicole and I are different. I’m already at the right age. I have business and savings. Everything is in place, except you.”

Amber looks at her “Yah, you changed the topic again to me...” She fish her car keys on her pocket “Just wait me here, I’ll go get the car.” After a few steps, Krystal followed her not minding the rain. “What are you doing?!”

Amber spread the jacket so that she can also shield Krystal from the rain. “Are you angry? You know I’m just thinking about you, when the time comes that I have to leave.” Her bestfriend uttered putting some aegyo as she wraps her arm on Amber’s waist.

“Leave? Where are you going?” the short haired girl questioned

“Well it depends... it depends on where Minhyuk wants to settle down. Maybe in the US, Europe, or in Singapore.” The two finally found the car and Amber immediately gives the jacket on Krystal as she went on to open the car door.

After they went inside the car, Amber gives a towel on Krystal to dry herself up. “That’s why I don’t want your head to get wet. Crazy ideas will start to crawl up to your brain.” Amber joked and Krystal threw the towel on her face and laughed along.

 

In the end, Amber and Krystal went to Jeonju. Amber applied for a leave and immediately Onew permitted her saying that she doesn’t have too. She’s the co-owner so she can do what she wants. The day before going to Jeonju, Amber paid visit to Daegu to see the improvement at the tree house.

“It’s nearly done and it gotten bigger.” A voice from behind her said.

Amber smiled knowing the owner of the voice. “Yes grandma, just some repairs on the roof and the stairs and the interior too... Oh uhmm grandma.”

“Yes dear?”

“We’re going to Jeonju tomorrow. Krystal and I.” Amber stated.

“Oh really? Waa. It’s a really good place and eat lots of bibimbap.” Amber nodded and smiled. “But why are you two going there?” Grandma asked.

“Well...” Amber rubs the back of her head and smiled cheekly. “It’s because Minhyuk will go there to promote their album and Krystal wants to see him.”

 

Onew drove Krystal and Amber to the airport. Upon checking in, Krystal continuously scans the place hoping that she will see Minhyuk or anyone in their band.

“OHMYGOSH.” The long haired girl gasped as she saw the other members checking in but there is no sign of Minhyuk. She immediately went to the line and luckily, there is a last minute cancellation but it’s only one seat. And it means that Amber and Krystal will not be at the same flight going to Jeonju. After ensuring that Krystal had already went on the plane, Amber went on her plane too. As she saw the seat number, she places her duffel bag at the top compartment and took the seat two chairs from the window. On her left was a middle aged lady wearing sunglasses while drinking a cup of tea. She smiled and slightly bowed on her as a sign of greeting. Afterwards, she turns on her music player and plugged her headphones in.

“Opps!” the old lady accidentally drops her spoon. She was about to get it but Amber took it first.

“Here you go.” Amber politely said after cleaning the spoon with a table napkin.

“Thank you, Amber dear.”

“You’re welcome grandma...” Amber smiled. She was about to put her headphones back when she realized. “Grandma Jung?!”