Chapter 27

A Friend Of Mine

*knock knock*

Minhyuk came out from the toilet when he heard a knock from the door. “Who is it?”

Krystal opened the door “Hey, it’s me.”

“Come in, Krystal!” Minhyuk held the door for her and motioned for her to sit on the couch but Krystal declined.

“No, it’s okay.” She waved her hand. “I... I just want to give you this.” She handed her homemade sandwich in which she made a while ago.

Krystal’s heart fluttered when Minhyuk smiled at her. She can’t help but to smile too. “Thanks, Krystal. I’m sure it’s yummy.” He complimented. “Uhm, would you like to stay in for a while so we could talk?” Minhyuk asked trying hard to hide the blush forming on his cheeks.

Krystal wanted too but she knew that Minhyuk should get some sleep at this moment. Knowing his very tight schedule, the boy didn’t have enough time to take a proper rest. “I know you’re tired, Minhyuk. You should get some sleep. The fans will be sad if they saw how big your eye bags are.” She joked.

That made him chuckle. “Alright then, you should get some sleep too.” 

Krystal walked towards the door and turned her head again to Minhyuk “Goodnight, Minhyuk.”

He nodded “Goodnight, Krystal.” And closed the door.

She walked happily back to the room. When she opened the door, she was surprised when she saw her best friend lying on the floor while holding her nose.

“Oh god! Amber are you alright?” She asked worriedly and bent down to check if it is serious.

Amber shook her head and looked at her hand. “Yep, I’m fine.” She groaned as she stood up holding her .

Krystal held her arm for support and guided her towards the couch “I’m sorry I didn’t know that you’re at the door.” She said as she put her hands on the short haired girl’s cheeks, seeing if her nose is okay.

“No, it’s okay. I was just about to go outside to get some fresh air.” She lied. Amber was eavesdropping awhile ago as Krystal and Minhyuk talked.

“Are you sure you’re not hurt?” The brunette asked looking deeply at her best friend’s eyes and Amber caught herself staring back at those eyes again. The eyes that she loved. She was about to say something but went dry. So, she slowly nodded her head.

Krystal smiled and Amber’s heart went berserk again. “That’s a relief. Well, I’ll go shower now toothpick!” She patted her head and left to the bathroom.

It took a while for Amber to regain herself from reverie. She looked at the bathroom door when she heard water splashing indicating that Krystal was there already. “Here.” She placed her hand over her chest. “Here...” she mumbled to herself.

 

The morning came and they head down for breakfast. The duo had their eyes widened as they saw many variety of food that was placed at the long table at the cafeteria.

“Hey guys!” Minhyuk greeted them and swing his arms to Krystal and Amber’s shoulder making him at the middle. “Come on let’s eat!”

Being a gentleman, Minhyuk handed a plate for Krystal and for Amber as well.  “Here you go.” Minhyuk said as he placed a sliced of apple at Krystal’s plate but Amber quickly removed them “She’s allergic to them!”

“Oh really? I’m sorry I didn’t know.” He apologized.

“No, it’s okay.” Krystal smiled and Amber smirked.

Minhyuk saw Krystal is heading towards the steak. He must redeem himself, he thought. So he helped her to put the steak on her plate. “Okay, this time I know you like meat.”

Krystal chuckled “Yes, I do.” She thought that he was finished putting something on her plate “You know, the steak will taste good if you add these.” He put some pieces of cut cucumbers at the side of her plate.

In a swift move, Amber poked them all by using her fork and ate it all at once. “She hates cucumbers!” she said a little louder with still full.

Minhyuk rubbed his neck and laughed awkwardly. “I guess I didn’t got anything correct.”

Krystal walked to him and patted his shoulders “It’s okay, there would be some other time.” She laughed softly. Minhyuk excused himself after hearing his phone ringing. Krystal turned to Amber which was currently filling her plate with food. “Yah!” she nudged her side.

“Ouch, that hurts!” She whined “My plate almost fell off.”

“Don’t do that again, it’s embarrassing.” Krystal whispered.

“Why Krys? Just because he gave it to you... you’ll eat it?!” Amber said after she put down her plate at the table.

“No, I will give it to you.” She stuck her tongue out and left Amber at the food counter.

“Yah! Come back here hippo! Aissh.” She angrily ruffled her hair but smiled afterwards.

 

“Hey mom.” Minhyuk said over the phone.

“Baby, how are you? Are you eating well?” Her mother asked worriedly.

He chuckled and said “I’m fine mom, don’t worry about me. We’re doing fine.” He smiled when he heard her mom sighed in relief.

“That’s good! When are you gonna visit me? I’m here in Jeju already!” Her mom excitedly said over the phone. It’s been months since he saw Minhyuk. They have no time for each other since Minhyuk became a superstar.

“You’re there already?! I’m gonna visit you soon mom. Be sure you prepare my favourite meal okay?”

“Okay dear, just don’t tire yourself too much. On that state, how can you have a girlfriend of your head is always on work?!” Her mom slightly scolded her son.

“Who says I don’t?” He whispered over the phone while looking at Krystal.

 

The day after the concert, Minhyuk invited Krystal and Amber together with his band to have sightseeing around Busan. They have nothing to do, so they all agreed. Amber took lots of pictures of Krystal, and some of them with Minhyuk. The night came, and they all head back to the hotel. Minhyuk and Krystal took a silent walk towards the garden, leaving Amber and the rest of the members at the poolside.

“I think I still have a hangover on your concert yesterday. The crowd loves you.” Krystal said to him and smiled.

Minhyuk rubbed the back of his neck and look down to hide his forming blush. “T-there’s only one person who made it worthwhile...” Minhyuk stopped and so does Krystal “Its... it’s you.” He stuttered.

Krystal smiled and resumed walking “It’s a pity that you weren’t able to sing my favourite song.”

“What is it?” He asked.

She cleared and looked at him “Such a feeling’s coming over me from you. There is only one wish in my mind..”

Minhyuk nodded and sang together with her. “I long to be close to you...I long to be close to you...” He chuckled and slightly ruffled Krystal’s her in which made her blush. “You know, most people think that’s a love song –“

“But you actually wrote it for your father.” Krystal cut him off.

“How... how did you know that? He asked.

“Before when your dad used to bring you at school, I saw you doing a secret handshake with him.” Krystal took Minhyuk’s hand and did the handshake.

Minhyuk smiled and suddenly remembered his dad. “You’re the only person who got that.” He stopped for a while and look at the sky “I wrote that a year after he died.”

“I’m sorry... I didn’t know.” Krystal looked down fidgeting her fingers.

Minhyuk held her chin up to look at her “Hey it’s fine.” He smiled “You just don’t know how much I‘ve missed you until I saw you again. Thank you, Krystal. I’m really happy that you’re with me.” He added.

 

“Hey lovebirds how long do you planned on staring at each other?!” Yonghwa shouted which made the two to wake up from their trance. Minhyuk chuckled nervously while Krystal remained on her spot silently fidgeting her fingers. “Come on you guys, the food will be cold!” He added.

“Did you guys saw Amber’s pictures? Dude she’s so awesome.” Jonghyun complimented her and patted her back.

Krystal sat beside Amber and ruffled her hair “Yes, my best friend here is so talented!”

“I—uhm not that good.” She said shyly and Krystal whacked her head not believing at to what her best friend said.

The ahjumma came in and handed them the food. “Tteukbokki! It’s Amber’s favourite!” Krystal said. She took the chopsticks and got a piece for Amber. “Here toothpick, have a bite.”

Amber was about to open but then she looked at Minhyuk who was looking uncomfortable to them. She cleared and got her own chopsticks “I can do it by myself, Soojung.”

She pouted and ate the tteukbokki instead “Hmp!”

“So how do you guys know each other?” Jonghyun asked.

“Well uhm, they are my grade school classmates. I remembered that I saved Krystal from bullies.” Minhyuk proudly said.

“Aww that’s cute!” Yonghwa said and took a sip on his beer. “That’s puppy love.” He added and Amber snorted.

Minhyuk looked at Krystal “I believe in puppy love, first love, or whatever you call it. Cause it stays with you.” He placed his hand over Krystal and smiled.

Amber saw that and sighed. She grabbed another bottle of beer and jugged it down at once. After finishing her third bottle, she passed out. Yonghwa and Jonghyun volunteered to carry her towards the room leaving Minhyuk and Krystal behind them.

“She doesn’t usually drink. She has a low tolerance on alcohol.” Krystal said as she opened the door of their room. She saw Amber already asleep on the bed. They both stay near the door.

“Maybe the two pushed her to drink that’s why.” Minhyuk shook his head and chuckled.

“Probably, but she’s going to be fine.”

He took a deep breath and grab Krystal’s hands. “Uhm... The ferry will be leaving in a couple of hours to Jeju. And uhm... I—I want you to come to Jeju with me. I want you to meet my mom.”

Krystal wanted to say something but went dry so instead she nodded her head in return.

“Great. Well uhm... See you tomorrow?” Minhyuk took a step towards Krystal.

“Yeah, see you. Good night Minhyuk.”

Minhyuk leaned forward and planted a quick kiss on Krystal’s lips. “Good night Krystal.”

 

Amber saw and heard it all but she pretended to be asleep. When she heard the door closed, she immediately closed her eyes again. She felt Krystal crawled onto the bed and snuggled to her close. “Amber! Amber!” she tried to wake up her best friend but Amber didn’t respond. “Amber, I think my prayers had been answered. We’re together now!” she happily whispered to her ear.

When Amber felt a weight lifted on the bed and hear the toilet room closed, she sat up and lean her back on the bedpost. She brought her hands on her face and silently cried. 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preview: 

Amber stayed at the corner leaving her best friend enjoying herself with Minhyuk’s mom. She’s shy. She doesn’t know anyone to talk to. She boringly tapped her fingers at the arm rest and looked at them.

“Hey, you’re Krystal’s friend right?” A girl asked and sat beside her.

“Uhm yeah, I’m Amber.” She extended her hand towards the girl.

The girl took it and said “Hi Amber, I’m Minah. Minhyuk’s cousin.”