Chapter 23

A Friend Of Mine

Amber was waiting for the old lady to respond and it will be too late if grandma would deny it. And fixing the scarf and the sunglasses to hide herself from her doesn’t help too. Amber is a hundred percent sure that the lady beside her is Grandma Jung because she is always wearing the silver watch on her left wrist, like now. Grandma took a deep breath and turns her body towards the short haired girl.

“Hi Amber...” She softly spoke. Slowly taking off her sunglasses and her scarf and putting it aside.

“Grandma, what are you doing here?”

“I was just... you know taking some day off.” Grandma said casually but the younger girl didn’t seem to be satisfied. “I’m telling the truth, dear. I’ll pay visit to my old friends in Jeonju that’s why I’m here.”

“Okay. I believe you now.” Amber said.

“Where’s my granddaughter? I thought you two are together?”

“Well... she’s on the other plane. She transferred on the last minute because on the thought that Minhyuk will be on that plane...” Amber was cut by a noise coming from the small commotion happening at the front row. A little while, a tall guy appeared and it was Minhyuk. Krystal’s love of her life is just sitting 2 seats from where Amber and Grandma seated. “... Well I guess not.”

Grandma Jung leaned forward enough to get a view of the said Minhyuk. “Aigoo. He’s good looking. Its gonna be a tough one, Amber.” The old lady whispered but loud enough for Amber to hear.

Amber immediately whipped her head towards Grandma “What did you say grandma?”

“N-nothing dear...” She raised her hands and immediately said. “... Amber, tell me with whole honesty, what is Soojung to you?”

“Soojung is...” Amber didn’t know what to say. She knew deep inside her heart that she had fallen in love deeply to her best friend. That she will do anything to protect her and make her happy no matter what, even if it means that it will cause her own happiness. But when she glanced over to the guy in front of them, she knew that she was no match for him “... my best friend.”

“I think it’s more than that. Why don’t you tell her how you feel?”

“Cause if I tell her how I feel, she would get angry and worst she will not talk to me anymore. I don’t want to lose her grandma, so it’s better to be like this.”

“What if Soojung doesn’t get angry? What if she will understand? You two are best friends for god’s sake!” Grandma said bombarding the younger girl some questions

“Well, I’m still saving up grandma.”

“That’s right, it’s right to save for your future together.”

“Uhm no...” Amber scratched her head “... I’m saving enough courage to tell her how I feel.” She shyly said while fidgeting her fingers. “Ouch! Grandma, what’s that for?” Amber whined after feeling a slap on the back of her head

“That’s for you, Amber. Aigoo if only I could tell Soojung how you feel about her! Hurry up Amber; you might lose her to that Minhyuk guy over there. And that pain you feeling will be a lot worse if it happened.”

After an hour, the plane landed safely at the Jeonju airport.

“Don’t tell Soojung I’m here okay?” Grandma said before going to the taxi bay.

“But why?”

“Just don’t. I want to relax and unwind here. And Amber, let’s keep in touch okay? I hope you earn your courage faster.” And with that, Grandma left Amber alone. Amber went to the arrival area to look for Krystal who is now sitting at the bench sipping some juice.

“Where have you been? I’ve been looking for you!” Krystal said as she went straight to Amber. The older girl automatically grabs Krystal’s duffel bag and carries it.

“I uhm...” Of course she can’t say that her grandma is here so “There’s a long line to the bathroom, that’s why I came here late.”

“Come on, I wanna see Minhyuk now!” Krystal then grabs Amber’s wrist and drags her to the exit. “I thought he was on the same plane as mine.” Krystal pouted and sulks.

“Aww poor kid.” Amber . She was suppressing her laugh because she got to saw Minhyuk on the plane and she was thanking the gods that Krystal made the right decision to change her flight at the last minute.

“But I won’t lose hope; I’m going to see him now!” They stopped at the taxi bay and hailed a taxi. Amber purposely taking things slow so that she can delay everything. “Oh god Amber, do you know what time is it?” Krystal pops her head at the window and screamed at Amber. Right now, she didn’t care if other people are looking at her.

“Alright, alright! I’m done okay?”

The odds seems coming against to them this time. There was a heavy traffic on their way to the hotel because of the road construction happening at the near intersection. Amber was crossing her fingers, secretly hoping that this traffic will last for a little while. On the other hand, Krystal was busy checking some alternative routes on her phone. “Come on Amber, we can walk from here.” Krystal immediately handed the money to the taxi driver and gets out of the door.

“What?! But the hotel is a bit far!” Amber was trying to keep up with her best friend.

“No, if we wait on this kind of traffic we will never make it. Besides, it’s not that far. Now let’s go and help me with the bags!” Krystal said before running her way to the hotel leaving Amber behind.

When they get into the front of the hotel, Krystal noticed that many people are leaving already. With them are their signed cd’s and posters by the CN BLUE band. “Amber quick we might not catch them!”

“I’m coming!” Amber said while panting. She was tired because she was carrying both of their bags.

As they enter the lobby, much to Krystal’s dismay the event is already over. The staffs are starting to pack their equipment and the people are also gone. Amber victoriously smiled. Because of her plan to delay everything, Krystal did not see Minhyuk today. On the other hand, Krystal became sad as she failed to see Minhyuk.

“It’s all your fault, we didn’t catch him.” Krystal said as she turned around to face Amber. Her eyes are becoming watery as she went to sit on a chair and start to cry silently. And that made Amber feel guilty. She’s right, it was all her fault. And now, she made Krystal cry. She was about to say something to comfort the younger girl but nothing came off.

The sound of the elevator grabbed Amber’s attention. A little girl holding a pen and a paper came running towards Minhyuk who just came out of the elevator.

She looked at Minhyuk then to Krystal. Questions like “Should I tell her? Or not?” “Should I call his attention?” Amber closed her eyes, as much as she didn’t want to tell Krystal that Minhyuk was like a few meters away from them, she knew that in the end what matters is Krystal’s happiness. Even though this will mean that she will make herself lose to the battle, she doesn’t care anymore.

“Hey Krystal...” Amber poked her arm.

“WHAT?!”

“Look, there’s Minhyuk...” 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi there! Okay first, I want to apologize for not updating this. I've been so busy in the past weeks and I have no time to write. School works are killing me. :( It may took a long time to update this again, but don't worry If I will find a time, I'll try to write and post another chapter. :) Thank you to my awesome readers who continue to read this. :bd