Chapter 14

A Friend Of Mine

Amber is busy working on the front page layout of the school’s paper that is to be publish next week. She was busy editing while eating a lollipop that is stuck inside her left cheek.

“Hey Amber...” Onew slides his chair besides Amber and takes out his lollipop.

Amber only hummed in response. She didn’t peel her eyes off on the screen.

“Look at Dong-woo, he’s walking towards Krystal with chocolates on his hand.” Onew whispered to her and pointed the lollipop to Dong-woo, causing Amber to shot her head up. Dong-woo is also a member of the school’s publication. He was a junior writer in Krystal’s department. All of the members in the organization knew that Dong-woo have a huge crush on Krystal, but it seems that the girl didn’t mind him at all. Dong-woo is a very nice guy, and a straight A student. He is viewed as a geek because always wear his thick rimmed glasses and even wearing a different color of suspenders everyday.

“Uh-oh.” Amber and Onew shook their heads. They slide their chair a little bit to the side to get a better view of what will happen and afterwards the lean their heads forward just beside the monitors so that they will not get caught by their seniors because they are not doing their assigned tasks. They watch closely as they their own lollipop at the same time.

As Dong-woo settle himself at the back of Krystal who is busy typing an article, Amber stood up from her seat. “I’ve got to do something.”

“Where are you going?” Onew pulls her down back from her seat.

“I’ve got a feeling that this is going to be a bad day for Dong-woo. Hey do you have some coins?” Amber said to Onew, opening her hand to him.

Onew fishes some coins inside of his pocket and unhesitantly gave it to Amber. “Here.”

“Thanks!” Amber immediately runs away leaving Onew dumbfounded. She went to the vending machine and bought a mango juice drink then runs back to the publication’s office again. She was on the door puffing some large amounts of air while her one hand leaning at the doorjamb.

“H-hi K-Krystal...” Dong-woo said while poking Krystal’s back to gain her attention. The poor guy is sweating so hard that beads of sweat are forming in his forehead and you can slightly hear the chocolates bouncing inside the box due to his uncontrollably shaking hands.

With Amber noticing what is happening, she walks towards them on the double. “This is bad...” She murmured.

Krystal stopped typing and swivelled her chair to the back. She looks up showing off her cold aura to Dong-woo. “What do you want?” Krystal said coldly. Dong-woo stood there frozen with his mouth open. He was about to say something but I guess, nothing came out.

 

Onew who saw what happened, pops his lollipop from and hangs it open like Dong-woo. He can’t believe that Krystal is this cold. It makes him shiver. Amber came over to rescue the poor guy. She took a deep breath before skipping happily to Krystal.

“Hey I bought you some juice...” Amber gently place the can on Krystal’s desk and put up toothy smile hoping that the girl will change her reaction a bit “... don’t worry it’s mango.”

Krystal looks at the mango juice then back at Amber. She smiled wildly and hugs Amber’s arm “Aww, thanks toothpick!” She cutely said causing Amber to chuckle and pats her head.

Amber nodded. “Go on, continue what you’re doing...” Amber said and Krystal gently released her arms on Amber.

Dong-woo and Onew opens their mouth once more as they can’t believe the sudden change of mood of Krystal. Amber turns around to find Dong-woo in disbelief. “Sorry, she’s kinda sensitive these days.” She patted his shoulders and gets the chocolate on her hands. The boy just nodded and scratched his head and leave.

As Amber went back to her desk, she found Onew astonished from where he is seating. She places her index finger at his chin and gently lifts it up. “Yah. Close it.”

Onew woke up from his trance “Dude, how did you do that?” Sliding his chair beside Amber.

“Do what?” Amber asked as she continues editing.

“T-that!” Onew stuttered. “That sudden change of expression!” He said pointing the lollipop to Krystal.

Amber chuckled and shakes her head. “It’s an instinct. That’s what I get from knowing her over the years.” Amber simply said.

“You know what dude; I’ve been thinking that you’re much of a boyfriend than a best friend. If I didn’t know you two are best friends at first, I’ll probably think that you guys are in a relationship.” Onew said that made Amber stop what she was doing. She gazed at Krystal who is busily typing her article while drinking her juice. She brought her hand over her chest to feel the rapid beating of her heart.

 

The weekend came. Amber is up on her room drawing some random things on her sketch pad. All of a sudden, Onew’s voice once again echoed in her head. She didn’t notice that she’s just doodling some lines until Krystal barged inside her room.

“Amber! Amber!” Krystal went inside the room without even knocking. She ran towards Amber who is at the other space at the moment. Her best friend didn’t move an inch so she places her hands on her head and lean her chin on it. “Ohh, what’s that? Is that what they call an abstract?” Krystal said as she peeks from above and pointing at the sketch pad.

Amber woke up from her trance and swatted Krystal’s hand. She immediately closes it and puts it away. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m bored. Let’s do something please?”

“I’m not in the mood to do anything.”

“Please, Amber. Pretty please!” Krystal said using her aegyo. Her hands travelled downward to her neck and envelop Amber for a hug. When the other girl didn’t respond Krystal suddenly smacks her head. “Yah! I saved your life, okay?!”

And that’s it, when Krystal started saying those words, Amber cannot do anything about it but to grant Krystal’s wish. She scratches her head and turns at Krystal. “Okay okay. What do you wanna do?”

“Let’s watch some movie.” Krystal suggested. She began to rampage Amber’s DVD’s that are alphabetically stacked on her shelf. When Krystal had finally taken her pick, she inserts the disk into the player and plop herself to bed beside Amber. Ten minutes had passed since the movie began playing, Krystal felt her stomach growling. She nudges at Amber who is paying her full attention to the movie.

“Hey Am, I’m hungry.”

“What do you want?” Amber asked.

“Burritos.”

Amber looks at her with her eyebrows scrunched. “Burritos?! But the store is so far away!” Krystal just glared in respond “Okay, I’m going to buy some.” She immediately said. Amber grabs her jacket hanging on the back of her door, head downstairs and rides her bike on the way to the food stand. She was going to buy only two, but she thought of Krystal’s situation so she ordered a total of four burritos with two large drinks.

On her way back home, she saw Krystal sitting on her bed while hugging her llama stuffed toy. “What took you so long?!” Krystal said annoyingly. When she saw the food container at Amber’s hands she immediately smiled and drags Amber towards the bed. “Sit down now, I know you’re tired. Let me carry those bags... Hmm, oh god this is good.” As Krystal took a bite. Amber just shakes her head in disbelief.

As they continue to watch the movie, there is a part when the antagonist is doing an evil plan on the female lead. Krystal all of a sudden threw a pillow on the screen. “Yah! You witch, you deserve to die not her!” Krystal shouted.

“Hey calm down. Here drink this.” Amber handed the large cola to Krystal and after she took a sip, the girl’s anger somewhat subsided and she gets back to normal.

As the movie ended, the female lead died. It was a sad ending but Amber didn’t tear up. She heard some sniffing noises beside her, and it surprised her that Krystal is hugging her pillow crying. “Why does she have to die?” She said sobbing.

“It’s predictable that she’s going to die... and besides it’s only fiction.” Amber reasoned out. As she was about to shove the last bite of burrito inside , Krystal grabs it right away.

“But no... *sobs* she-she’s too young to die! *sobs* Give me that!” Amber only blinked her eyes as her precious last bite is already gone. “Wait... did I eat all these burritos?” Krystal said as she scans through the empty boxes of burritos.

“Yeah, I ate only one and you ate all the rest... including my last bite.” Amber said and began tidying up the mess on her bed.

“Why you didn’t stop me from eating?!” Krystal shakes Amber’s body. “I’ll get fat.” *sobs*

“But you are fat.” Amber joked.

“YAH!” Krystal smacks Amber’s head.

“I like you when you have your periods... you’re so sophisticated and unpredictable.” Amber said while massaging her head with her hands. It amazes her all the time when Krystal is being like this. Although Krystal makes her do something weird or complicated things or out of this world wishes while having her period, she likes it and she doesn’t mind any of it as long as it makes Krystal happy.

“You don’t know what it feels like.” Krystal said.

“Yah! I’m a girl too. I also bleed once a month but I don’t experience that kind of phase you know.” Amber reasoned out.

“Oh yeah, I forgot about that!” Krystal laughed and Amber does too. Krystal felt her eyes heavy so she lies down on Amber’s bed.

“Good thing you have me as your period-buddy.” Amber joked. She threw all the trashes on the bin and afterwards she sat on the bed beside Krystal.

Krystal chuckled. “Yeah... You’re the only one who understands me all the time.” Krystal patted the empty space beside her telling Amber to lie down also.

When Amber saw that Krystal yawned, she pulls up the blanket to cover up their bodies. Amber lies down facing Krystal. She carefully examines her best friend’s angelic face while sleeping. She smiled as her eyes gazed through her eyebrows, down to her eyelashes that are perfectly resting on her rosy pink cheeks. Her nose that is occasionally twitching and her pink plump lips that are slightly parted at each other. Amber leans forward that she can slightly feel Krystal’s breath. She gently moves some hair that covering Krystal’s face and tucks them behind her ears.

Krystal begins to move causing Amber to move away from her. With Krystal half awake, she checks if Amber is beside her. “Amber... are you there?” she said in sleepy voice.

“Y-yeah. Why?”

“Come here, hug me.” Krystal flew her arms around her waist and leans her head on her chest. She continues to snuggle to Amber as she tries to find a perfect and comfortable position. Amber stiffens at first but felt relaxed when Krystal said “So warm, that’s better.” Amber also wraps her arms around Krystal securing her from the cold. Krystal let out a soft smile and drifted off to dreamland.

 

The school ball is finally coming near. The students, especially the girls are busy on what they are going to wear at the said event. It was Monday afternoon, Krystal and Amber is walking towards home while eating an ice cream along the way. The stopped at the riverside and sat themselves at the soft green grass.

“Hey Am...”

“What?”

Krystal shifted her sitting position towards Amber so that she can face the girl “How come that you’re not telling me something about your love life? Or about someone you like or a crush?”

Amber choked at the sudden question.

“I mean... I always tell you about Minhyuk but you didn’t tell me any stories of someone you like.” Krystal said while patting Amber’s back.

“I dunno... you never asked.” Amber said after recovering from the choke.

“Omo! So you have someone you like... are you gonna invite that person to the ball?” Krystal leans closer to Amber.

“Nah. That person like someone else now.” Amber said with a little bit sadness.

Krystal grabs a hold of Amber’s shoulder and forces her to look at her. “Yah! Do I know that person?”

“Maybe.”

Krystal being the violent one shakes Amber’s body to and fro “Tell me who!” Due to the sudden force, Amber stumbled backwards making Krystal on top of her. “Yah, tell me please! Who is it?” Krystal insisted.

The sudden closeness between the two made Amber blush a little and her heart to start beating rapidly like it will explode anytime inside her ribcage. Amber looks deeply in her eyes and utters the word that her heart is dying to say.

“You...”

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I know you guys wanted to know about the present Kryber. But for now, just enjoy the ride. The present will come... soon! Hehe. I just wanna say thankyou to all my awesome readers for patiently reading this crap. Haha. I haven't been updating fast lately coz I'm busy doing other things. Hehe. I'll get going now.. gonna prepare some stuff coz I'm going to school and we'll have the school party later (yay for paskuhan! mehe) I hope it will not rain tho, I like to watch the fireworks display this year. Okay gtg! =)