Chapter 7

A Friend Of Mine

After talking with Min on Skype, Amber closes the program and looks at the wallpaper of her desktop. She smiled but sighed afterwards. It was a picture of Amber and Krystal at their graduation ceremony, holding their diplomas on their hands while Krystal draped her arms around Amber’s shoulder. Krystal is the one who set up that wallpaper because she thought that they look cute in the picture and Amber didn’t change it since then. She clearly remembers how happy they are in the picture. She let out a sigh again and lazily slumps onto her couch with her left hand on the back of her head. She boringly stares at the white ceiling above her. Her mind is occupied of many things: Her clients at the studio, Grandma’s 50th wedding anniversary, her scholarship to LA and her bestfriend.

 

 “Hey toothpick, I’m bored.” Krystal said while poking Amber’s cheeks. They just finished completing Amber’s puzzles and now they had nothing else to do. When Krystal didn’t had an answer, she crawled into Amber, who is lying down with her back facing the ceiling while trying to solve her Rubik’s cube. She places her head on Amber’s back making it her pillow. “Yah, Amber answer me!”

“What do you want to do?” Amber said not looking at Krystal. She didn’t want to lost her focus onto her cube

“I don’t know, what do you wanna do?” Krystal reached for the nearest toy and started to play with it.

Amber grunted because she can’t fix her cube. She set it aside and she turned her head at the girl who is laying her head on her back. She then glance into the window and saw that the weather is very nice, and that gives her an idea of what they gonna do next. “Hey, let’s go swimming!”

Krystal suddenly sat up and looks at Amber. “That’s a good idea!”

Amber stood up and ready to go down at the tree house. “Let’s race towards the river, the last one will treat food for a week!” Amber immediately went down.

Krystal being the chubby kid is no match with Amber because she is fast. “YAH WAIT UP! IT’S NOT FAIR!” She shouted as she carefully went down the stairs while Amber is almost at the river.

“Krystal hippo! Krystal hippo!” Amber chanted as she reached the river first. She saw Krystal very exhausted already as she run towards the river. “You’re gonna buy me food for a week!” Amber climbed into a big stone and stood there. She is doing her victory poses which annoy Krystal more. Suddenly, Amber slipped which causes her to fall down towards the river.

“AMBER!” Krystal screamed.

 

Amber suddenly jolted from the couch. She put her hands on her head and sighed. She realized that she fell asleep on her couch and dreamed about what happened when they are kids. Krystal saved Amber from drowning in the river. She owed her life to Krystal. If Krystal didn’t save her back then, she’s probably dead by now. She looks at the clock and it was 6:30 in the morning. Amber lazily pushes herself up on the couch and heads into the bathroom to get ready for work.

As she began placing her things on her bag, she glanced at the brown envelope that was place on top of her desk. She looked at it for a while, contemplating whether to go to LA or not. She went back to her seat and picks up a pen from her black pencil holder and clicks it. She opens the envelope which revealed her scholarship to arts school in LA. She read the paper once again while playing the pen between her fingers. When she finally decided to put her signature at the paper, she puts down the pen and lean back on her chair. There’s a part of her saying that she should sign it because it was her dream and her father’s dream also, but then there was also a part of her that seems telling her not to. She puts back the paper inside the envelope and places it on the drawer. She thought that she must wait for the right time when her decision is final.

“Hey Onew, you got some time?” Amber said as she peeked through Onew’s door.

“Yeah sure, what is it?” Onew places his paper works aside on his desk as Amber sit on the chair in front of him.

“Uhm... I’ll be needing some equipments on Grandma Jung’s wedding anniversary.”

“Ohh okay, do you need some crew then?” Onew asked.

“Nah, it’s fine. I think I can do it myself. The party isn’t that big and I think the venue also.”

“When is the anniversary?”

“About three weeks from now, I have to go to Daegu in two days to see the venue so I can think of a great idea for the event theme...” Amber clears and scratched her head. “... and about the price...”

“Don’t worry about that Amber!” Onew cuts her

“Well I was going to say that I’ll pay it all. It is supposed to be my gift to grandma so that she wouldn’t expend money anymore.”

“Amber...” Onew patted Amber’s shoulder. “It’s okay. I will give it for free.” Onew smiled to her.

Amber smiled also. “Thanks, buddy. You’re the best!”

“No problem Amber, and bring these with you...” Onew handed some photobooks to Amber “It’s just recently released; you can find new ideas in that book.”

“I’ll look at these later, thanks again.” Amber smiled and left Onew’s office.

 

Amber woke up earlier than her alarm. She can’t sleep well last night and she doesn’t know why. The thought that she was going to Daegu today gives her a nervous and an excited feeling. She keeps herself in bed until her alarm will start buzzing. Her things are already packed two days prior to her trip. She was lazy to make breakfast so she just orders through a drive thru restaurant. While waiting for the red light to turn green, she unconsciously glances into the seat beside her. The seat was reclined and has a small pick pillow attached to the headrest. She realized that until now, she didn’t fix the seat to put it back to its proper order. Well it’s because Krystal would often reclined it and will lie down while she will place her feet at the dashboard above the compartment. She was awaken on her trance by a loud honk coming from the car at her back, she didn’t noticed that it was already a green light.

After hours of driving, she finally reached Daegu. She is always having a good feeling whenever she is coming back to her hometown. As she was getting off of her car, Grandma Jung immediately welcomes her.

“Grandma!” Amber said and opens her arms for Grandma

“I knew it was you because I heard the sound of your car.” Grandma envelops Amber for a hug. “Aigoo, you must be tired from driving all the way here.” Grandma said as she wipes the sweat on Amber’s forehead. Amber smiled because Grandma Jung is very caring for her.

“Nah it’s okay Grandma, I’ll just get the equipments then I’ll go inside.” Amber was ready to pick up the things but grandma stops her from doing so.

“You can do that later. Come inside first, I made your favourite food today.” Grandma pulls other girl’s arm. Amber just smiled and she just let Grandma drags her away.

The wide smile of Amber that was pasted on her face is slowly fading away as she saw a familiar person sitting at the living room while reading a magazine. Grandma Jung noticed the sudden change of expression on Amber’s face and she felt Amber’s body stiffen. Grandma Jung cleared causing the girl to look up and looks at Amber. She was a bit surprise when she saw Amber.

“Okay it seems that everybody is here...” Grandma Jung said to break the awkward atmosphere “... I want the two of you to work together for my wedding anniversary.” And with that, Amber looks at Grandma sending her a ‘why-you-didn’t-tell-me-earlier-look?!’ Grandma Jung ignores Amber’s staring and pulls Amber to sit in the couch next to the girl.

“Soojungie, I want you and Amber to be the event planner of my anniversary. I know you two will be a great team.” Amber keeps on sending eye messages to Grandma Jung but Grandma still don’t mind it. Amber sighed in defeat and just nodded her head to the agreement.

“Oh right! I have to check if the chicken is already done.” And with that, Grandma Jung immediately left the two alone at the living room.

There was again an awkward silence between them but then Amber breaks it. She turns her head to the girl that is looking at her and weakly smiled.

“Hi.” She wanted to talk about how is she? What is she doing now? What happened in the past three weeks? She wanted to ask all, anything but not about her current boyfriend. This isn’t their normal kind of conversation but all Amber manages to say is a simple “hi”.

“Hi.” Krystal replied and weakly smiled. 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Remember what happened in this chapter, you'll find out soon why. :)