Chapter 10

A Friend Of Mine

Amber is trying her best not to fall asleep because she finds their history class oh so boring. So she just keeps herself busy like taking down notes or highlighting some keywords on her textbook. She suddenly glances over her bestfriend who is very busy staring at her ultimate crush’s back. She chuckled and shook her head. “Isn’t she getting tired of doing it everyday?” Amber mumbled to herself. She began making some paper plane coming from the torn paper from the back of her notebook. When the teacher is busy writing something at the board, she throws the paper plane towards Krystal. The tip of the paper landed on her nose, making her a bit surprised and woke up from her trance. Amber suppressed her laugh upon seeing her bestfriend’s shocked face. Krystal immediately turns her head towards Amber and shot a deadly glare.

“Sorry.”  Amber mouthed and stops laughing.

Krystal notices that there is a note inside the paper plane. She carefully unfolds it and silently read the paper under her desk.

‘He might melt if you keep on staring at him... and wipe your mouth, your drooling.’ – toothpick

Krystal immediately put her hands on to check if there is a drool. She will be so embarrassed if Minhyuk will see her drooling, but when she checks it there’s none. Amber, who is watching her bestfriend panicking, began pinching her thighs for her not to burst out in laughter. When Krystal is about to shot another glare towards her, she immediately went back to her serious face and began pretending to take down some notes. When she felt that Krystal is not looking at her anymore, she hangs her head low and began laughing silently on to her seat.

During their break, Krystal stomps her way towards Amber’s place. She playfully slaps her bestfriend’s head making the other yelp in pain.

“Ouch!” Amber rubs the back of her head.

“Yah! I really thought I have some drool on my mouth.” Krystal said as she sat on to Amber’s table and grabs Amber’s cube and started playing it.

“You should have seen your face earlier, you look so... cute.” Amber suddenly bit her bottom lip when she realized that she just complimented Krystal. It is not the word that she is supposed to be saying. It seems that that word slipped in .

“What? What did you said?” Krystal said not peeling her eyes off on to the cube. Amber sighed in relief. She was glad that Krystal didn’t hear it.

“N-nothing... I said nothing.” She said after clearing and fixing her sitting position.

Krystal just shrugged it off. She was busy twisting and turning the sides of the cube. “Hey Amber, you know Nicole right?” She suddenly blurted.

Amber scrunched her eyebrows as she tries to remember the person. “Oh Nicole, your cousin?” she asked.

“Yep. Auntie said that she is going to study here next year.” Krystal said and hops off from Amber’s table. “Ugh. This cube is hard! I give up.” She put the cube back to Amber and walks away towards her seat.

Amber is looking at Krystal until she was already in her seat. She is pouting like a kid while lazily scanning some random pages on her book. “Cute.” She suddenly said to herself and smiled.

 

As Amber was strolling around the hallway, she saw a poster at the bulletin board about an art exhibit for their foundation day. The theme was very easy. A participant must present a photograph, portraying the everyday life in the school. When nobody is looking, Amber immediately grabs the poster and rolls it and she runs fast back into their classroom.

When she got home after a long walk with Krystal, she went upstairs towards her room. She gets the rolled poster out and stares at it for a while.

“You want to join?” Amber suddenly jolted up upon hearing someone. She turned around only to find her dad smiling at her back.

“Dad, you scared me!” Amber said and hugged her dad.

“Sorry kiddo...” Mr. Liu patted her daughter’s head “... I see that you’re interested in that exhibit.”

Amber slightly nodded. “I really want to but... I don’t have any camera.” She said sadly and hangs her head low.

“That’s why; I wanted to give you this...” Her dad handed her a box. Amber carefully opens it and her face immediately formed a smile when she saw what’s inside. “... sorry if it is kinda used, but I’m sure that you can use it.”

Amber jumped happily and hugs her dad tightly. “Thanks dad! You’re really the best. I promise to take care of this camera of yours.” She said as she started to explore the specs of her dad’s camera.

“No, it’s yours now. I hope this camera will help you. I know you have a talent so use it well.” Her dad patted her head once again and afterwards he left Amber’s room and went to his home office.

 

On the next day, Amber signed up her name for the exhibit. Bringing with her camera and her form, she walks around in search for Krystal. She thought that her best friend will be happy for her to know that she signed up for the exhibit. She can’t wait to tell Krystal the good news. After running around and searching for her bestfriend, she saw Krystal walking towards a bench near big shady tree with a sandwich on her hand. A smile immediately forms on Amber’s face. When she was about to run and will call her bestfriend, she suddenly stop her tracks.

“Minhyuk!” She heard Krystal calling Minhyuk who is sitting at the bench while silently reading a book.

Amber take a few steps back seeing the two happily chatting together while eating the sandwich that Krystal brought. She slightly crumpled the paper in her hands as she turned around and left the two. “Maybe its not a good time to tell her.”

As days pass by, Amber is keeping herself busy taking different photos inside their school. Also, the bonding time between her and Krystal is decreased. She always makes some alibis for her not o be with Krystal whenever it is lunch time or dismissal time. She thought it was a good thing because Krystal and Minhyuk will have some good time together and Krystal would love that. When she got home, she began importing some pictures at her computer. She will now choose what she will gonna submit for the exhibit on their foundation day. While she was browsing some photos, she stops at certain pictures and she separates them and put it into another folder. She was secretly taking pictures of Krystal and just by looking at them; she realizes how beautiful Krystal is. She let out a smile as her heart began to flutter a bit.

 

At the day of the exhibit, Amber knew that her photographs had been selected. But on that day, she lazily got herself up to bed and seems like she is not in the mood to go to school. Upon reaching the school alone, at the distance she saw the photographs displayed near the school’s lobby. She smiled when she saw her own work at a distance. She doesn’t want to go near the boards because there are so many people around it.

During their breaks, Krystal invited Minhyuk to go see the exhibit with her. Athough Minhyuk already saw it earlier, Krystal persuaded her so he ended up coming with her.

“Wow, the pictures are beautiful.” Krystal said as her eyes scan to one picture to another.

“Yes they are.” Minhyuk agreed.

As they continue to look at the pictures, Krystal heard something. The voices are coming from a bunch of girl students complimenting a certain photograph in front of them.

“Oh my god. This one really looks good!”

“Yeah, she really has a talent for this.”

“I agree, I never thought Amber Liu is good at photography.”

Upon hearing the name of her bestfriend, Krystal immediately went towards them to have a good look at the picture. She saw a bunch of little kids playing around the playground and herself a little blurred in the background. Krystal felt proud upon seeing her bestfriend’s work of art.

“Wow, I didn’t know that this belongs to Amber.” Minhyuk said.

Krystal just nodded and smiled. “Wow, Amber is really good! Don’t you think, Krystal?” Minhyuk turned his head to his side expecting Krystal to answer but he found nothing. Krystal suddenly disappear while Minhyuk is immersed looking at the picture. “Where did she go?” he scratched his head.

Krystal immediately went off to see Amber. She knew very well where to find her bestfriend at this time. When she finally saw her, she tip toed her way towards her and playfully slaps her head hard.

“Yah!” Amber shouted and winced in pain. She looks up only to find her bestfriend glaring at her. “Why did you do that? I’m sleeping.” Amber went to her sleeping position again. She crosses her arms at the table and buries her face into it.

“Why didn’t you tell me about the exhibit?!” Krystal sits beside Amber and slaps her arm.

“I’m not planning to tell anyone.” Amber said still not moving from her position.

“YAH!” Krystal slaps her again.

This time jolts up in pain. Krystal is really violent, she thought. When Krystal is about to slap her again, Amber raises her hands to defend herself. “Okay okay, I was about to tell you but...”

“But what?”

“... but I don’t know how to because you’re always with Minhyuk. That’s why I didn’t tell you.” Amber said in a low tone. Sadness is evident in her voice and Krystal felt it too.

Krystal moves closer and she wraps her arms on to her bestfriend’s waist. “Sorry...” Krystal whispered and she leans her head into Amber’s shoulder. “... Your pictures are beautiful, I really like it. I’m proud of you.”

Amber places her hands above Krystal’s “It’s okay, I understand... and thank you.” Amber broke the hug and looks at Krystal “Hey you better go back, go on and see your knight in shining armour.”

Krystal suddenly realizes that she just left Minhyuk at the hall without saying goodbye. She stood up and was about to go to Minhyuk but then she looks at Amber smiling at her. She went back and seat next to her bestfriend. Amber gave Krystal a questioning look and Krystal just smiled and leans her head back to Amber’s shoulder.

 “Leave him there. Bestfriend comes first and besides... I kinda miss her.”