Chapter 29

A Friend Of Mine

Krystal groaned as the warm breeze of the morning and the sunlight welcomed her. She was not ready yet to get out of bed because she was busy thinking of something last night. But she was awakened by her own actions because she realized the she now on the other side of the bed. If her memory was correct Minhyuk’s mom was sleeping beside her. He immediately jolted up and was shocked to see Minhyuk staring at her while leaning at the doorjamb.

“Cute.” Minhyuk blurted out. “I wish I can see this every day.”

Krystal blushed to the sudden confession and threw a pillow at Minhyuk. “Go away. I just woke up.”

He caught the pillow on his hands and chuckled. “Go freshen up. Breakfast is ready.”

 

When Krystal finished eating, she went to the veranda and saw Amber on the bridge near the lake. Amber’s phone rang and she sighed when she saw the caller id.

“Hello?”

“Amber! How are you? What’s happening between the two of you?” the middle aged lady asked on the other line

Amber bitterly smiled “The boxing match already ended, grandma. I lost by a technical knockout. They are officially a couple now.”

“Yah!” Amber moved her phone away from her ear. “But they are not married yet! Who knows, if Krystal finds out how you really feel about her, she might change her mind.” There was a pause in between and Grandma Jung only heard a sigh coming from Amber. “Don’t give up, Amber.”

“I have to, grandma. It seems like my best friend is happy right now.” Grandma wasn’t able to reply due to a bad connection. Amber was oblivious on her surroundings and was shocked to see Krystal standing next to her.

 “Hippo!” Amber blurted out only to earn a playful slap on her arm.

“Why you didn’t wake me up?! It is so embarrassing.” Krystal was shooting glares at her best friend but Amber didn’t seem to mind it.

Amber chuckled and continued to look at the lake in front of them. “You were sleeping like a log and you might get grumpy when I wake you up.”

Krystal sensed that there was something off at Amber. She slowly touched Amber’s hand and looked at her. “Am, are you okay?”

Amber replied with a nod.

“Why are you acting this way? It seems that you are avoiding me ever since we were in Jeonju.” Krystal tightened the grip on Amber’s hand.

“Wha—“ Amber turned her head to Krystal “...No.”

“Is there something that we have to talk about?” Krystal forced to make Amber look at her.

Amber sighed. “What do you want to know, Krystal?”

“Do we have a problem?” Krystal became serious. She was hoping that she can find an honest answer from Amber.

“Yes we have.” Krystal’s face changed and waited for Amber’s reason. “Onew needs me at the studio. When are we planning to go back?” Krystal knew that this is not the only reason but nonetheless, she let it go. She was about to reply when they heard a honk.

“Hey Amber! We are going downtown, wanna come with us?” Minah shouted

“Sure thing! I’m just gonna get my camera.” Amber said at carefully let go of Krystal’s hand.

Krystal was awakened from her trance as Minah called her “Krystal, you can go with Minhyuk.” The girl only nodded.

 

They decided that Minhyuk and Krystal will go separately from others to make some bonding moments and Amber was left with Minah and Minhyuk’s mom. At first Krystal doesn’t want to, but seeing her friend enjoying to take shots of the scenery made her say yes. And of course, she also wanted to make time for Minhyuk.

They took a stroll to a nearby church, wherein Minhyuk surprised Krystal with flowers. As they entered the church, Minhyuk touched Krystal’s hand and intertwined them.

“This is so beautiful.” Krystal said in awe

“This is where my parents got married...” Minhyuk said as they began to walk on the isle. “... And this is where I want to get married too.”

When they reached the altar, Krystal asked “Who is going to be the bride?”

Minhyuk planted a soft kiss to her forehead “I hope it’s you.” Krystal blushed and became speechless.

 

Afternoon came and they all decided to meet at the beach wherein Minhyuk’s mom made a dinner for them. When the two lovers arrived from their tour, Krystal saw Minah clinging at Amber’s back.

“Hey MInah, you’re fat! You’re gonna break Amber’s bone!” Minhyuk joked.

Minah stuck her tongue out “Yah I’m not fat. Besides, Amber lost on our game so she’ll piggyback me!”

Amber only nodded and smiled. Krystal immediately held Minhyuk’s hand and motioned them to sit down and watch the sunset. She was unconsciously taking glances at the two, who currently busy playing at the shore.

 

After the dinner, they immediately went home. All of them were tired from the tour. Krystal went to the bridge later that night. She wants to have an alone time by herself and she didn’t noticed that was already beside her.

“Krys? Why are you crying?!” Amber asked and immediately searched for her hanky. “Did you two fight? I swear I’m gonna kill him” The boyish girl was ready to give a fist but then Krystal stopped her from doing so.

“No.” Krystal replied.

“Then why are you crying?” Amber asked again.

“I don’t know.”

“Krystal, there should be a reason. You know that I hate seeing you like this.” Amber said as she fixed Krystal’s hair and wiped her tears.

“I miss this... I miss you.” Krystal weakly said. Amber stopped all of her actions and looked at her best friend. Krystal then playfully slapped Amber’s arm. “It’s your fault! You’ve been avoiding me!”

Amber chuckled and rubbed her arm. “Then, what do you want me to do? I’m like a crazy dog following you and your boyfriend.”

Krystal adjusted her position and move closer to Amber. “Minhyuk and I are so different, Am.”

The short haired girl wanted to make the conversation lighter “Ofcourse, especially for the body size. You are a hippo—OUCH!”

“Yah! That’s not what I mean!” Krystal said as she pinched Amber’s side. “We are so different.”

Amber sighed and leaned her elbows on the edge. “Krystal... of course you two just meet again. I’m sure the both of you are going through an adjustment period.”

“Amber...”

“Yeah?” Amber looked at her

“Don’t you like Minhyuk?” Krystal asked her.

Amber looked at her eyes. She wanted to say yes, that all she wanted to do is to love her and take care of her. But seeing how happy Krystal is with Minhyuk made her say the otherwise. Maybe some things are better left unsaid.

“Minhyuk is fine. He is okay for me.”

Krystal held Amber’s hand again and asked “Are you jealous of Minhyuk?”

And that made Amber speechless. She looked below her to see their hands that Amber always thought that it fit together. And she wondered now that s this the last time that she’s going to hold it?

Amber looked up and smiled. Instead of answering the question, she asked another. “If I get a significant other, won’t you get jealous?”

“Of course I would! Even right now that you don’t have any, I want to poke their eyes in advance!”

Amber chuckled “That’s what I meant, Krystal. That’s why I’m staying away from you. I think we need to put some distance from each other.”

“Why do things have to change?” Krystal asked and she was again in the verge of crying.

Amber scooted closer and placed her hand on Krystal’s shoulder. “Because the situation now is different,  Krys. In the same way that you are adjusting to Minhyuk, we also have to learn to adjust to changes. Just like what you said before, you’ll leave me when I’m okay on my own.”

Krystal cupped Amber’s cheek “But you don’t seem okay yet, toothpick.”

Amber carefully removed Krystal’s hand from her cheek “No... Maybe because we’re so used in doing the same things together, that’s why people find it hard to be part of our lives... Maybe that’s why it’s hurting us too.”

Krystal clings on Amber’s arm “You sound like you’re leaving me.”

“Well, it seems you want me dead?” Amber joked and she earned another slap from her best friend.

Amber pulled Krystal for a hug “Don’t be sad, because no matter what happens, I will always be your bestfriend.”