Chapter 12

A Friend Of Mine

“Amber, hurry up!” Krystal shouted downstairs.

“I’m coming!” Amber shouted back. She got her jacket and her wallet. She was ready to leave but then she glanced at the slightly crumpled paper on her desk, hesitating whether she will bring it or not. But in the end, she let out a groan and picks it up and hides it on her back pocket.

They are going to the mall to buy a gift for Minhyuk. At first, Amber didn’t want to come but Krystal insists her saying that she saved her life. That is the line that Krystal always tells her bestfriend if Amber didn’t fulfil her request.

“Amber what do you think? A black bracelet will be nice right?” Krystal said as she scans over some accessories

Amber looks at it uninterestingly and sighed. “Pick the blue one, it suits him more.” Amber remembered from the list that it was Minhyuk’s favourite color.

“Really? Okay I’ll buy it.” Krystal happily said.

As they went inside the bakeshop, Krystal scans over a pile of cake on a counter. She can’t decide what to buy for Minhyuk. She turned into Amber who is standing at the corner and looking at her watch. “Toothpick, should I buy the Black Forest or the Blueberry Cheesecake?” She asked while pointing at the glass.

“Pick the Lemon Cake, he likes that more.” Amber nonchalantly said.

Krystal raised an eyebrow on that “Really? How did you know?”

“I uhmm... I just saw him eating it almost every day at the canteen.” Amber lied. Good thing Krystal believed on that. “Aissh this girl. She didn’t even know what her crush like.” Amber mumbled.

After they finished buying gifts for Minhyuk, Krystal drags Amber to her favourite stores. This only means one thing; after this day ends Amber will be broke.

“Can we go home now?” Amber whined and pleaded. She was so tired of walking around the mall. She can feel her feet being numb.

“Just a minute okay?” Krystal said as she scans the cheap clothes and toys one by one.

Amber sighed and sits at a nearby bench. While waiting for Krystal to finish, she went inside a shop and she found a cute teddy bear key chains. The store owner noticed her staring at the key chains so he walked over towards her.

“Here.” The store owner handed Amber the two couple key chains.

“But ahjusshi...”

“It’s okay; I’ll give this to you for free. It’s Valentine’s day tomorrow.” The store owner gladly handed the two bears to Amber.

“Thank you, ahjusshi... But I’ll buy that red velvet crinkles, I don’t want to walk out of your store without buying something.” Amber said to the store owner. As Amber went out of the store, Krystal also finished buying.

“I thought you’re going to leave me...” Krystal said while running towards to Amber.

“You’re done buying things?” Amber asked while putting the keychain and the crinkles inside her backpack.

Krystal nodded. “What is that?” Krystal tries to peek at the back of Amber.

“N-nothing! It’s just nothing!” Amber reasoned out but Krystal didn’t believe her so she keeps on staring her bestfriend. “I swear!” She raised her both hands.

Krystal smirked and walks towards Amber making the other girl to take a step back. “Tell me the truth; do you have a crush on someone?”

“NO!” Amber shouted back. She was avoiding Krystal’s eyes the whole time.

“Why does your face is as red as tomato?” Krystal pokes her cheeks and teased.

“IT’S NOT!” Amber places her hands on her face and starts to walk away. “Yah let’s go home!”

Krystal chases her and continues to tease Amber. “Tell me who is it? Tell me! Yah I said tell me! Aish.”

 

It’s Valentine’s Day. The whole campus is filled with romantic vibes as it was decorated with red coloured hearts, some of them are giving free candies and chocolates at the gates and many different booths are scattered at the filled.  Amber didn’t bother to look for Krystal because she knew that her bestfriend is spending this with her crush. She decided to spend the remaining time to roam around the campus, looking at the different booths and play some games to kill her boredom.

As she walks around the oval, she suddenly glanced at the bleachers and saw a girl sitting alone. She leans forward and squint her eyes to have good look at the girl and her hunch was right, it was Krystal. As she walks over towards Krystal, someone called her making Amber to turn around.

“Hey Amber.” Three girls came running towards her with gifts on their hands.

“Hi. May I help you?” Amber asked. She recognizes the girls from the lower section.

“Uhm... we just like to give you these.” The girls handed some chocolates. “We really admire your photographs so much.” The girls said as they hang their heads low. They are trying their best to hide the blushes on their faces.

Amber scratched her head and shyly accepted the gifts. “Uhm. Thanks.” She mumbled. The girls giggled and left Amber.

When she turns around to go to Krystal, she saw that her bestfriend is already looking at her. “I saw that.” Krystal said as Amber sit beside her.

“Are you crying?!” Amber asked worriedly. She immediately wipes the fallen tears on Krystal’s face by using her thumb.

“He didn’t give me anything.” Krystal mumbled but loud enough for Amber to hear.

“Who? Minhyuk?” Krystal nodded in disappointment. “Aish. I told you to not expect anything. Come here.” Amber pulls Krystal for a hug to comfort her friend.

“I didn’t receive anything this day. Good for you... you have fangirls already.” Krystal joked and breaks the hug.

Amber sighed. She remembered the things that she bought yesterday. She gets the other teddy bear keychain and attached it on the zipper of Krystal’s bag. “There. Your bag looks pretty now.”

Krystal smiled and looks at Amber. “Thanks toothpick. It’s cute.” She said while caressing the teddy bear on her hands.

“Someone gave you a gift now, and look I have one too.” Amber showed the other teddy bear making Krystal smile again but it suddenly fades away. “What’s wrong? Don’t you like it?”

Krystal shook her head. “It’s not that...” Krystal looks at Amber with sad eyes “This is Minhyuk’s last year in Korea. Their family will be migrating to New York.”

Amber doesn’t know what to feel. Although she is feeling happy inside, she felt a little sad too for her best friend. “It’s okay; just think that it’s a good opportunity for him. New York is a nice place.”     

Krystal nodded and smiled. “Thanks for comforting me always.”

“Well that’s what bestfriends are for right? I’m always here for you remember that.” Amber reaches for Krystal’s hands and squeezes it. “Oh right! I’ve got you something.” Amber gets the red velvet crinkles on her bag and gave it to Krystal.

“Ohmy! These are my favourites. Thanks toothpick, you’re the best!” Amber smiled as she saw Krystal happy again. She really knows how to turn that frown upside down.

“Hey toothpick...”

“Yeah?”

“Can I have those chocolates too?” Krystal pointed at the chocolates that the girls gave to Amber earlier. Amber just chuckled and ruffled Krystal’s hair. Krystal really can’t say no to food.