Bringing Me Back

One Shot Dumping Ground
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[2PM]

 

Chansung stared out the window of his apartment, sipping hot coffee as he watched the snow fall. It had been snowing for the last two hours, and he knew it wasn't going to let up any time soon. He walked to the kitchen, opening his refridgerator to see what he needed to buy. He wrote a list of the items that he needed for the next morning, then closed his fridge.

 

Glancing at his phone, he frowned. It was the night of December 1st. That meant twenty days. Twenty days until December 20th, the day that had changed his life forever. He sighed, feeling depression fall over him like a heavy blanket. He could never get into the Christmas spirit fully because of that incident. He had tried, and even gone to counseling for many years, but the depression always came back.

 

Pulling his heavy, black coat, gloves and beanie on, he stepped out into the crisp, night air. Deciding that a walk would be a good idea in the snow, he left his car and headed toward the store. The air was cool and refreshing, despite the chill. If nothing else, the cool air would help to clear his thoughts.

 

 

After getting his groceries, Chansung began his walk home, pulling his collar up when the wind began to blow again. He now wished that he had brought his car.

 

He was about two blocks from his house when he heard loud commotion. When he stopped and listened, he thought it sounded like someone getting attacked. Switching his bags to one hand and holding his heavy flash light in the other, he stepped toward to sound that was coming from the alley between his building and the next one. He heard running footsteps as he got closer, but when he got there, the attackers were gone. Chansung glanced in the direction they had run in, calling the police and giving details.

 

When he had just hung up with them, he noticed the young man they had attacked lying on the ground. Cursing, he knelt down next to the young man and inspected him. He was breathing, but was badly beaten, so Chansung called his friend, Nichkhun to help him. Once his friend arrived, they put his in his car and drove to his house. They took him up the apartment stairs as quietly as possible, laying him on Chansung’s guest bed.

 

“I’ll stay here, if you need me to,” Nichkhun looked concerned about him, glancing at the mysterious young man. 

 

Chansung smiled, shaking his head. “I’ll be okay. I don’t think he’s going anywhere for a while. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thank you for helping me.”

 

Nichkhun nodded, smiling again. He still looked uncertain. “Alright. Just call me if you need me, okay?”

 

Chansung nodded back, yawning as his tired body caught up with him. “Thanks, Khun. I’ll let you know how things go.”

 

He watched as his friend left, then turned back to the young man. “Who are you?” He asked the question in the dark, knowing that he wouldn’t get a reply. Lying down next to the young man, he fell asleep quickly, keeping his heavy flashlight next to him, just in case he got attacked.

 

 When he woke up the next morning, Chansung noticed that the young man was still not awake, so he took the chance to inspect him further in the morning light. The man appeared to be around his age, with broad shoulders and nice muscles, and he wondered how someone like him would have been taken down and beaten so badly.

 

Shaking his head in curiosity, he walked to the kitchen and wet a cloth with warm water, grabbing the peroxide as he walked past the bathroom. The young man was still asleep with he entered again, but he began to stir when he started to wipe his wounds with the water.

 

Chansung tensed slightly when the man opened his eyes, staring at him in surprise. He started to sit up, but Chansung pushed him back down carefully. “It’s okay. There’s no need to get anxious. You were attacked, and I found you, so you’re safe now.” He smiled at the young man, trying to offer some reassurance.

 

The young man relaxed a bit, leaning back again. “Well…thank you. My name’s Wooyoung, and before you ask, I don’t know who attacked me. I don’t really have any enemies.”

 

Chansung thought about it for a moment, curious about why he had been attacked. “I’m Chansung. You’re safe here, and you can stay as long as you need to.”

 

Wooyoung smiled at him, and Chansung noticed that his entire face changed when he smiled. He looked younger than he probably was, which was probably in his mid twenties. “Thank you very much. That’s kind of you, and I really appreciate it.”

 

Chansung was about to reply, when he phone rang. Glancing at it, he saw that it was the police department, likely calling to get a full report on the incident. “I’m sorry. I have to take this. Make yourself comfortable, okay? The bathroom's the second door on the left.” He flashed another smile at Wooyoung before walked out to talk to the police. He gave them a full report on what had happened, and they told him that he would need to bring Wooyoung in to give his side of the story. He told them that he would bring him in, and hung up the phone.

 

 

Over the next few days, Chansung found out that Wooyoung had been on his way home from taking food to a food bank when he had been attacked, but he didn’t know who the attackers were. Chansung told him that he could stay as long as he needed, and that the police would find the men who had attacked him.

 

They also hung out a lot when they were both home, and Chansung found that he got along with him very well. He was funny, sweet and a very nice guy to be around. On top of having companionship in his home, he found that Wooyoung was able to raise his spirits at a time that they were usually very low, keeping his depression to a minimum.

 

 

One day two weeks after they had met, Wooyoung sat at the table, studying Chansung while he was cooking. He turned to the other man, grinning. “What's up?” He didn’t receive an immediate answer, and noticed that Wooyoung looked serious.

 

“May I ask you a personal question?” Wooyoung got to his feet and walked over to the stove to help him cook.

 

Chansung cocked his head to the side, glancing at him. “Sure,” he replied quietly.

 

Wooyoung frowned, stirring the pasta thoughtfully. “When we first met, you seemed kind of sad and guarded. What happened that you don’t like this time of year? Any time I mention Christmas, you tense up…” He smiled softly, looking nervous. “If it’s too much, you don’t have to answer.” He frowned again when he noticed that the younger man tensed, exactly as he had been speaking of. “Just like that.”

 

Chansung checked the pasta, then pulled it off of the stove, walking over to the sink. “I just don’t like it. It’s not a good time

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter