The Thin Veil

One Shot Dumping Ground
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Seventeen]

 

Jihoon was late and he knew it. He had been summoned to a meeting with Master Jeonghan, one of the elite master sorcerers, and his mentor. Making his way up the smooth black stone steps of the guild house, he placed his hand carefully on the door, directly over the silver diamond symbol, waiting for the diamond to read his identity and allow his passage. He was always slightly irritated when entering the guild, because with his short stature, he was forced to reach up and extend his arm just to reach the diamond. Every time he entered the guild, he cursed his lack of height, knowing his arm would get tired, by the time the diamond symbol let him in.

 

Staring at it now with a grimace, he waited impatiently for the desired verification. Just when his arm was turning into mush, he noticed the symbol light up, and the door cracked open for him. Sighing deeply, Jihoon pushed the door open and slipped inside, shaking the feeling back into his arm.

 

Making his way down the hall, he turned and walked into the council room, noticing his master, the beautiful, angular Jeonghan, sitting at the single large table alone. Jihoon glanced at him, curious about him being alone, with no other council members present. He had just opened his mouth to ask about it, and also explain his absence, when the taller, thinner Jeonghan stood up and nodded to him.

 

"Welcome, Jihoon," Jeonghan tucked a strand of long, silky hair behind his ear, frowning. "I have been here for nearly an hour...You're lucky this is an important meeting, Jihoon," he grumbled, motioning to the seat next to where he had just stood up from. "Nevermind, however. Have a seat."

 

Jihoon smiled slightly, trying his best to offer an apology with the action. "I'm sorry I'm late. I got held up by a few issues. It won't happen again." he took the offered seat next to his master, feeling the tension rising in the room.

 

"I'm sure you will be late again, but that's of no matter here," Jeonghan turned the ring on his pinky finger thoughtfully, sighing. "I needed to meet with you alone because this is very important, and no one else care hear of this, understand?"

 

Before Jihoon could reply, the other man pulled out a blue stone, setting it on the table and placing his hand over it. This was a Viewing Stone, and Jihoon had always been a bit wary of the object's power, since they had the potential to show the user anything the desired. He knew that Viewing Stones had been known to cause grievances over what had been seen on them, even to the point of starting wars, and the young man wanted nothing to do with them. However, he was, staring at one and putting his life and reputation on the line.

 

As he stared at the stone, he saw a mist forming in the air above it, twisting into the shape of a circular, black stone with a purple hue to it. Jeonghan pulled out a knife as Jihoon stared at the image of the stone, very curious about the purpose of this. Jeonghan took the knife and set it on the table, smiling slightly when Jihoon turned his attention to the knife. The sealing of the promises. That was the part of the meetings he hated even more than the Viewing Stones. With one drop of blood, one could be bound to a promise, to the point of death and Jeonghan already knew how much he hated turning his life over into someone else's hands. He liked his freedom.

 

"As my apprentice, I need your help with this. That stone you see in the viewing is the last of the Black Sapphires, and I need it, so I can complete my collection. They are powerful, as you know, and this is why I'm trusting you to find it for me," Jeonghan caught his full attention, locking eye contact. "As I said before, tell no one else about this, and bring it directly to be, understood? Your reward will be a ring and a spot in the Diamond Guild. It's a privelage unlike any other."

 

Jihoon his lips nervously, realizing the seriousness of this mission. Completing this quest would give him full access to everything offered by the Diamond Guild. "Alright. I'll do anything you ask of me, Master Jeonghan. Where do I begin?"

 

Jeonghan stood up again, handing him a piece of bread. "Eat this. You shouldn't promise on an empty stomach."

 

Jihoon swore under his breath, eating the bread. After a few minutes, Jeonghan took his apprentice's hand, cutting a thin line into his palm and placing it over the Viewing Stone. Jihoon could feel the pain from the cut, but the part he was more concerned about was the blood that had dripped onto the stone, ingniting a bright green flame in the center of the stone. It was done. He was now bound to the promise, and if he broke it, it could mean certain death. "Where do I find the Black Sapphire?" He hadn't meant for his question to sound as forced as it had come out, but he couldn't help it. Jeonghan knew how much he hated these types of missions.

 

"I don't know, for sure, but it's said to possibly be in the Cave of Darkness," Jeonghan shook his head at Jihoon"s expression of dread. "You're already bound to it, so there's no getting around this. Find it and bring it to me. That's all I ask. Now go. Remember, tell no one of our meeting."

 

Jihoon nodded, a sick feeling settling in the pit of his stomach. "Very well, Master Jeonghan."

 

•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•

 

Soonyoung frowned, staring at the car in front of him. He hated rush-hour traffic, especially when he was going home. This should have been the more relaxing time of his day, but it was turning out to be the most stressful. At least at work he could dance his troubles away, but not when he was stuck in a car, with only his music to keep him company. He was just ready to be home. Glancing down, the young man heard the sharp car horn before he felt the impact of the vehicle behind him, deploying his airbags and sending him into blackness.

 

•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•◇•

 

It had been three days since Jihoon had made his promise to Jeonghan, and now he was on his way to the Cave of Darkness. He felt nervous traveling alone, since it could be dangerous, even being the powerful sorcerer that he was. He knew that the promise forbade direct portaling, so he was forced to ride his horse instead, and it had turned out to be a long trip filled with lies to strangers about his mission.

 

As he rode further, he noticed a still figure on the side of the road. Pausing, he debated whether he should turn around and go the other way or continue on this path. His body told him to ignore the wounded young man, but his conscience was louder, nagging at him to stop and check on him. If he left someone to die, he would never forgive himself, especially knowing he had avoided his moral duty as a decent human being to obtain his own mission. He would regret that for the rest of his life if he did it.

 

Dismounting, he led his sturdy mare over to the young man, leaving the reins on her neck to carefully and cautiously inspect the man. He had a deep gash on his forehead, and scrapes and bruises on his sleeveless arms. Jihoon took a moment to study him, noticing the strange pattern on his shirt and the interesting, blue pants he was wearing. He paused in his inspection of the wound, staring at the odd, rectangular object that was beside him. It had a glass surface, and a shiny black backside of it, and he was very confused by the entire sight of the young man. Picking up the strange object, he placed it into his satchel before carefully lifting the wounded boy and placing him on his horse. So much for reaching an inn to stay for the night. This would be way too much to explain, and he needed an expla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter