Friends?

You and I {Completed}
Jiro was left all alone in the doorsteps of the high school building as he wandered around the school,and then finally went to the office.And found the faculty busy getting ready for their class.The secretary was busy talking to somebody on the phone.Jiro waited for her,as he stood by the counter.Then finally she hang up and looked at him.

"Yes ,may I help you?"she asked.

"I am Jiro Wang,the new student."he said."I need my class schedule."

"Why did you not get you schedule in the mail? They should have mailed it to you along time ago."she said.

"We just moved here few weeks ago,and they told me to just dropped by the office for my schedule." he told her.

"Alright,let me checked it out."she said as she dug on the files in her desk."Alright ,I got it.Homeroom is Mr Albright and in Room 208 and here is the rest of your schedule." as she handed him the paper.

Jiro looked at the paper,and he have to moved from one room to another.Today is going to be a busy day.Just looking at the room will be a quite a job today.

He started walking to his class.The room is almost full when he got there.He scanned his classmates faces,and nothing and none seems to be interesting,he seated himself at the chair at the back.He noticed that the students looked at him as he entered the room,and seems to stare at him.Girls giggled and boys just stared.

It must be his oddity in this place.It seems like that he is the only Asian guy in the class and much less in the whole school.The only one different is the girl that was seated beside him in the bus this morning.The girl in his side smiled at him,as he smiled back.

"Hi I'm Heather,you are new here?" she said,her blond hair swaying and her blue eyes sparkled as she smiled with her nice pearly teeth.She looked like one of the cheerleaders in the magazines as Jiro stared at her.

"I am Jiro." he said smiling."We have just moved here few weeks ago." and then Mr Albright walked in,as he concentrated on the teacher in front.The girls threw him some meaning ful glances,but he just brushed them off.He was used to it,the attention and the stares.He has been the most
popular guy in his school before his transferred here,and he does not get frazzled by his white and American classmates anymore.He have met quite a number of them,since his Dad socialized with them in the daily basis back in Hong kong,and have quite a number of them as friends and girlfriends.

The day went by,and it seems like faces to another new faces each session,and having to explain himself all over again to each new classmates that happens to pass by.He missed his old school,he missed Genie,and he missed his old world.If only he can go back and walk to that familiar place once again,he missed the crowd,the people,the food and he missed talking to somebody in his own native tongue.Even his parents,does not talk to him in Cantonese anymore.They talked to him in English in front of everybody,only when they were alone ,do they talk in Cantonese and that is very seldom.

He saw the girl again in the cafeteria during lunch time.She was with her friends,everybody crowding her.She seems to be very popular in school too.That guy is with her again.They were seated side by side.He wondered if they are boyfriend and girlfriend.Somehow thinking the possibility hurt and upset him.He does not know why.He wondered if she is as American as she seems to be,devoid of any Asian cultures in her,except for her looks.

They met again outside while waiting for their bus.He looked at her and she smiled shyly.He wondered where are her friends.They boarded together and Jiro sat next to her which surprised her.

"Hi I am Jiro,and you are.."he said looking and smiling at her.

"I am Hebe."she said`"You are new here?"

"Yes,we just moved a few weeks ago."he said."I am sorry,but I just want to know,are you also Chinese like me."

Hebe smiled.She does not know,how is she going to say.Do I tell him a virtual stranger,that I am adopted."Yes I am."she said.The first time in her life that she admitted to herself that she is Asian and Chinese,for she always considered herself American ,just like her known parents.But she knew deep in her heart she will always be a Chinese just like her heritage is,no matter how slang she speaks English and no matter how American her ways are.

"It is nice to know that here is someone like me in this crowd."he said as he smiled at her.

"Yes,I know what you mean."Hebe said.She knows,just the feeling like she really belonged there but does not.It will be nice to befriend him,then maybe I can seek my own self,the real Hebe Tian and found myself where I really belonged...she thought.They looked at each other and smiled....finding an affinity in each other.