033

Just Like You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

``````~~~~~``````

 

“There they are.” Mama said as she walked towards us with a young couple behind her.

“My son and his date for the night, she is like a daughter to me.” We greeted the couple who addressed themselves as the Wong’s.

“So are you two dating?” the older male asked. “That is one fine young lady.”

“No, we are friends.” I said. “Thank you for the compliment. You too, have a beautiful wife.”

“And she has a sweet tongue.” He chuckled and his wife shot me an apologetic look.

“You look gorgeous.” She said to me. “I love your dress, it suits you the best. Not many people can pull of this colour, let alone a long maxi dress.”

“Thank you. You look stunning in that dress as well. That green off shoulder dress matches and enhances your pale skin tone making you shine.” She looked at me a bit stunned by my compliment and smiled.

“What’s your name?”

“My name is Rin.” She held out her hand.

“Nice to meet you Rin, I’m Wong Lin.” We exchanged greetings and I looked at Lay who was smiling while mama looked so proud.

“Lin jie!” we turned to the voice and saw Xue running over with Kris at her tail. “How are you? It’s been so long since I last saw you.”

“It has, how are you Xue? Who the handsome young man behind you.” she smiled brighter and pulled Kris by the arm.

“This is Kris, my boyfriend.” My heart hurt when I heard that and I took a deep breath to calm down. I drank the rest of my fruit punch and placed it on the nearby table.

“Nice to meet you.” Kris said and shook hands with the Wong’s. They turned back to me as Lay came closer to me just to make sure I was okay.

“So, how’s work so far?”

“So far, it’s been going smoothly.” Lay replied.

“Have you thought of working for you father? He will in time need an heir to the company.”

“My son doesn’t want to.” mama lightly punched his arm. Lay just smiled sheepishly. “He isn’t interested in the business at all. But we respect his decision. If he wants to do what he wants, we will let him do it.”

“Who about yourself? What do you do?” he looked at me.

“I’m a bodyguard.” He and his wife widened their eyes.

“I didn’t expect a beautiful young lady like yourself to be a bodyguard.” She exclaimed softly. “You don’t have that image.”

“Rin is specially trained. She has certificates of most martial arts. Taekwondo, Judo, Karate, you name it, she knows it.” Lay said with a proud smiled.

“That’s impressive. Especially for a young lady.” The man said.

“Thank you.” I bowed and they smiled at me.

“Lin jie, so what are you up too these days?” Xue cut in.

“Nothing much, just running the business making sure everything is fine. It’s sometimes not easy.” She sighed.

“What kind of business do you do?” I asked out of plain curiosity.

“We are actually in the automobile industry.” She smiled. “But recently we are actually thinking of branching out into a different industry. It’s hard to make a decision.”

“Ah, automobile. A very profitable industry.”

“What do you think about it?” the male asked.

“The industry has always been very strong. Foreign firms are coming in and it’s a tough competition for the Chinese as they try to surpass the sales of the foreign brands. But, Chinese market remains the global auto industry's best for growth.” The man nodded and looked impressed.

“When did you learn that?” Lay whispered to me and I looked at him. He looked surprised.

“I just read up.”

“What industry do you think we should consider going into?” he asked me.

“How about our business?” Xue asked cutting me off again. I could sense that she was a bit jealous from the attention I’ve been receiving from the couple. “I mean our business is stable and it’s definitely worth investing in.” she smiled.

“Why do you say so? What makes it so special that I would want to branch out into your industry? The fashion industry is very competitive.” She looked taken aback by the question.

“W-Well……we are one of the best and our clothes always sell out fast.” He didn’t look impressed by her answer.

“How about the jewellery industry?” I asked. “The jewellery industry is showing a great potential for growth.”

“Keep going.”

“Well with the Chinese becoming more knowledgeable about gemstones and jewellery, they are more particular about their purchases. They look for value and brand. And also with the technology advancement, that means higher quality standards of jewellery.” He nodded as he listen to me give my opinion.

“I think Yixing’s company would be a good investment. They care a lot about their quality and standard of their jewellery. People these days are more open to western designs or fusion, which is what their company specializes in. They care about their branding and their mission is bring the best to the consumers, that’s why they are really particular about the stones. They hand pick their gems and stones and make sure that they are the best out of the best available. They also provide the best customer service and customers keep coming back for more. Their employees are also happy working with them as they have good benefits to reap and most of all, they enjoy working in the company.” I paused and looked at the couple.

“I’m very sure that if you look into their company, you will find that they are really the best company for you to invest in. If you are hesitant, you can probably start with a collaboration. I’m sure papa wouldn’t mind. Since both products focuses on quality and each product gives off the vibe of sophistication, classiness and beauty. Selling your automobile with Jewellery together may not be that bad. Not only will it capture the attention of the public but it will also help build awareness. All you need is a good model, and if it works out well, sales would be coming in. It would be killing two birds with one stone.” They didn’t say anything and looked at me.

“Did I say something wrong?” the man burst out laughing and his wife just broke into a smile.

“That was the one of the most interesting proposal I have ever heard.” he looked at mama and Lay.

“You definitely got yourself a keeper. She is not only pretty but she has the brains too.” his wife told Lay and gave him a wink. Lay just rubbed his neck and smiled.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” He said.

“Rin, I didn’t know you knew that much about our business.” Mama said and I shrugged. I did do my research on their company. I am their daughter after all.

“It was nice meeting you, miss. I hope to meet you again and when that happens, I hope you don’t mind talking over a cup of coffee.” He held out his hand and I took it in mine giving him a firm shake.

“It would be my pleasure.”

“I hope to see you again, Rin.” Wong Lin smiled as they stepped away from us. Mama followed them and they left us alone.

“That was amazing!” Lay half screamed and he gave me a hug. “You should totally join our company. Work for us! The way you spoke and all was so convincing, I almost wanted to invest our company myself. I bet they didn’t even know that you are Korean, not when you spoke to them with such fluency in mandarin. Did you see how he looked after you finish talking? Do you know that the Wong’s are said to be very hard to convince or impress? But what you just did certainly blew them away!”

“I just stated the facts.” He smiled.

“You are awesome, mei.”

“Hmph. What was so good about that? I could have done that too.” Xue crossed her arms across her chest. Sure, their family business was one of the most famous one in China but she didn’t really wear her family brands. She mostly wore foreign brands.

I didn’t say anything. I was just giving him my opinion because he asked me. Just because she couldn’t answer the question he asked her doesn’t mean that she needs to take it out on me.

“First, you come and take all the attention away from me then you make the Wong’s interested in you and now you call uncle papa? What are you? Their daughter?”

I was.

“Xue, stop it.” Lay said and she rolled her eyes before eyeing my dress.

“Where did you get that dress from?”

“I borrowed it from ma- Yixing’s mother.”

“Given by my mum, remember it’s a present.” He said.

“Do you know that is the latest dress designed by my favourite designer? There is only 2 pieces and you are wearing one now.”

“It’s a present, I had to accept it. She wanted me to wear it.”

“Where did auntie get the dress? It should be me wearing it not you.” she glared at me.

“It’s not for you. Mama bought it for my sister.”

“Please wake up! Why are you so hung up about your dead sister?” I saw Lay clench his fist and jaw.

“She is no longer around why should I care so much? Gege, you should stop looking for her, it’s been 16 years and you have been hang on to that stupid hope that she is still alive. She is gone, she doesn’t exist anymore.”

“XUE.” He raised his voice a little and a few people turned to our direction. “You better SHUT your mouth before I RIP IT OFF your face.” she just scoffed.

“Kris, do you see, he is always treating me like this.” She hung onto him and looked pitiful. Kris looked at us and didn’t say anything, I guess he knew about the sister thing.

“Let’s go okay? It’s an event, don’t create a fuss. It will ruin your image and parents’ image.” He pulled her away.

“No, it’s not fair. Why did auntie let her wear the dress that was supposed to be for her daughter? She should have let me wear it, I’m the one closest to being her daughter.”

“Bull.” Lay said in a low tone. “You don’t deserve it.”

“It’s mine.” She lunged at me and grabbed my dress. I pushed her away as a reflex. She stumbled into Kris arms shocked.

“You did not just do that.” She hissed.

“It’s a reflex.” I told her.

“That’s it. “ She grabbed a glass of red wine nearby and splashed it on my face.

“That is for taking away my attention.” She took another glass and did the same thing. “That is for wearing that dress.” She put the glass down and dusted her hands.

“Now that the dress is ruin, none of us will wear it. It looked horrible on you anyway.” she linked arms with Kris and dragged him away from the scene. I just stood there processing the scene. She did not just pour wine on the dress. My hair was ruin and my dress was stained dark purple. I took some napkins and tried to rub the stains away. It was a precious dress, I had to clean it no matter what.

“That girl.” Lay growled. He took off his jacket and placed it on me. There were onlookers looking at our direction.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, but the dress is not.”

“Rin, I’m asking about you, not the dress.”

“But this dress is important. There is a significant value behind it, now it’s ruin.” He cupped my face and made me look at him. He brushed away some loose hair and looked into my eyes.

“It’s just a dress. You are more important than the dress. Are you okay?” he repeated and I nodded. Never in my life have I been so embarrassed and humiliated in my life. I looked passed him and saw the others members looking at me. They looked away as soon as they made contact with me. They felt guilty or at least that’s what I think.

“Let’s get you cleaned up.” he held me and we walked to the toilet.

“But what about the mess.”

“Leave it. The people will clean it. Worry about yourself first.” We stopped outside of the toilet and he asked me.

“Do you need help?” I shook my head.

“I can handle it.” I turned around and pushed the door open.

“I’ll be waiting here.”

I stood in front of the mirror. The dress was ruin. I placed a napkin under running water and dabbed it onto the dress. The stain lightened a bit but it was still visible. I sighed and proceeded to clean my face and hair. There were wine stains on my face and I smelt like wine. My hair was dripping and I had to squeeze them dry. As much as I wanted to keep my hair up, I had no choice but to let it down so that I could clean it better. Carefully, I cleaned my face making sure I don’t smudge the makeup. It was a good thing that they used waterproof ones. I wiped away the markings and then someone came out from the cubicle. She was really beautiful. She smiled at me, washing her hands and left. She had tan skin and looked really fit. As she turned and left, I caught something.

Throwing away the soiled napkins I used, I ran out bumping into Lay who was waiting for me.

“Whoa, what’s the rush?” he asked as he adjusted his jacket on me.

“Did you see a lady coming out just now? She was wearing a pale yellow dress.”

“Oh, she went back into the hall. Why?” I didn’t think twice and ran inside. I placed the device Dae oppa gave me into my ear and pressed the button.

“Rin?”

“Oppa, they are here.” I scanned the whole room searching for her.

“Who?”

“Starship. A female, she had a star tattoo on her neck.” I heard some paper rustling and fumbling from the other side.

“Wait, I’ll check.” I walked around discreetly, I couldn’t afford attracting her attention. I had to find her. “What was she wearing?”

“A pale yellow dress. She has tan skin and is slightly taller than me. She has brown hair.”

‘Yellow dress. Yellow dress.’ I chanted in my head and I caught sight of a pale yellow dress. She was making her way to where Xue was standing. I moved quickly.

“Yoon Bora. 24. Specializes in knife work and is one of the top agents in Starship.” I quicken my pace when I heard her profile being read. I caught sight of something shiny in her hand. My eyes widened and I ran. I was under the dim light and because my dress was slightly towards the darker side, I almost blended into the walls.

“She has a knife.”

The music changed and more people went to the centre to dance, blocking her and giving me time to reach Xue before she did. Xue was with EXO so that made it somewhat safer for her. But they can’t have their identity exposed. I grabbed the nearest member which turns out to be Chen.

“Get Xue out of here, NOW.” I watched as Bora made her way here, she was getting closer, there was any time to waste.

“Go.” I looked at him and he seem to catch what I was saying and he looked behind me.

“I understand.” He said and left. He must have saw her too.

“There you are, where did you run off too?” Lay grabbed my hand and I immediately pulled away.

“You need to leave.”

“What?”

“It’s not safe. Bring mama and papa to safety.” I pushed him away from me and handed him his blazer. I turned around just in time and met her eyes. She looked straight at me. She smiled gently and walked passed me. I grabbed her arm and stood in front of her.

“Have we met before?” she looked confused. She was putting on an act.

“I’m sure that before you come in, there was a security check and I believe that that object that you are holding onto is forbidden inside here.”

“Oh really? My bad.” She stuck out her tongue and laughed. “I have to do something so if you excuse me.” she tried to get past me but I held her back.

“If it involves using a knife on someone, I’m sorry I won’t allow it.”

Just as I said that, she lunged at me and I dodged her. Her knife dropped from her arm like she had a secret compartment for it and she grabbed hold of it before swing it at me.

“Be careful, she is really strong. She is the strongest female fighter in Starship. Even without her knife, she is a street fighter.”

“I can see why.” I grunt as she pushed me against the wall. People started screaming it was chaotic. I turned to my side as she plunged the knife towards me, got a cut on my waist. I pushed her off me and I knew I had to knock the knife away from her, then I would have a slightly better chance against her. I wasn’t in my best condition but I was well enough to put up a fight.

I kicked her as she dodge me and I grab her free arm before flipping her onto her back.

“Argh.” She grunted in pain and I held her arm down. I hit it against the floor, hoping that she will loosen her grip of the knife but she didn’t. She held onto it even tighter.

I was saddling her and she kicked me from behind, making me tumble forward. I rolled away as she stabbed the place I was just at. I got up and she lunged for me, skilfully swing the knife at me. I didn’t manage to evade in time and got cut on my arm, It bleed instantly.

She was strong.

Neither of us were panting. It wasn’t a fair fight, she had a weapon while I was fighting bare handed.

“Rin!” I turned my head to Lay for a while and she used it to her advantage. “Look out!” he shouted.

I grabbed hold of her before the knife touched my face, it did graze across my cheek I think and I kicked her in the stomach. She fell over and clench her stomach. Glaring at me, she did some fanciful turn and inflicted a cut on my arm.

“Till next time.” she growled and ran. She jumped out of one of the window and I ran after her. I looked down and she was nowhere to be seen.

She got away.

“She’s gone.”

“Damn it!” I hear over the line. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah nothing too serious.”

“We will get them next time.”

“She will know my face.”

“They don’t know who we are. Don’t worry.” I nodded and turned around.

“Send me what you got later.”

“Understood.” I pressed the button again and the line gets cut off. I walked back to the centre of the hall. The place was in a mess. The event was ruin but that was the last thing on my mind.

Were there any other people hurt? Were my parents okay?

“Rin!” he ran up to me along with the others. He looked at my wound and quickly took out a handkerchief to stop the bleeding. I pulled away from hm.

“You are hurt.” I just walked away.

“Rin.” he ran after me and I just continued to walk.

“Hey,” he grabbed my arm turning me to face him. His eyes were full of worry. “Did you hear me? You are injured.” I shoved him away from me.

“It doesn’t hurt.”

“You got cut! You are bleeding.”

“It doesn’t matter.” I turned and walked towards the door. I saw my parents and Xue standing one side. They looked really worried and made sure that none of the guest were hurt. I felt bad seeing them like this. Xue just stood there looking bored as they apologised for the incident. She was the cause of all this.

“Se Rin!” He raised his voice and grabbed me again, this time he pulled me so hard, I collided into his chest. He looked into my eyes, his gaze was strong. My heart speed up being so close to him. I very much wanted to pull him down and give him a kiss right square on his lips. I only had a certain amount of control. I struggled to break free from his arms but he didn’t let me go. He was making things hard for me.

“Let go of me!” he shook his head.

“Not until you are treated.

“It’s just a cut.” I said. “Now let go of me before Xue comes for my head.” he broke his gaze on me and looked at where Xue was standing and true enough, she looked like she had steam coming out of her ears. Slowly he loosen his grip on me and I pushed him away. He stumbled backwards.

“Don’t tell me what to do.” I turned and walked away.

The cuts didn’t hurt. The kicks and punches she threw me didn’t hurt.  The only thing that was hurting was my heart.

 

``````~~~~~``````

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

So not only can Rin fight, she is also smart.

Sorry for the wait, Enjoy!