023

Just Like You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

``````~~~~~``````

 

“The line you have called is currently unavailable. Please try again later.” It was the fifth time I called but no one picked up. I gave up calling and dropped my phone, not caring if it dropped onto the floor.

I'm tired.

Everything is happening so fast, there isn’t time for me to react at all. Everything is being revealed to me at one go. It’s amazing I haven't fainted. I didn’t have anyone to talk too.

There wasn’t much happening to Xue nowadays. No more accidents, no more stalking or random people coming up to us wanting us dead. Things has been peaceful and the guys’ were home more often. My service wasn’t needed anymore.

“You’re here.” I knew who it was but didn’t turn to greet him. “I didn’t see you around the past few days.”

‘You didn’t see me?’ I was home all day. I didn’t even leave the house, only when Xue wanted to go out. Was I invincible to them?

“I have something I want to talk to you about.” He sat down next to me and clasped his hands together.

“What is it?” I asked softly. My heart raced upon hearing his voice.

“It’s about Xue.” My heart dropped, literally. I gulped my saliva.

“What about her?” I managed to croak out.

“She is different recently. It’s like she became a different person.” he paused. “She is more considerate to us now and she stopped whining. She doesn’t behave like a brat anymore.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?”

“Yes it is. But because of her change, everyone is starting to take note of her. She is getting more attention on her.” I gathered my courage to look at him in the face. He was frowning for the first time.

“She likes it doesn’t she. Isn’t that good for her?”

“Yes and no. I don’t like that she is getting attention from the others.” He looked at me and I took in the look in his eyes. His once cold looking eyes were now warm and full of feeling.

“To tell you the truth, all I think about these days is her. I close my eyes, she appears. She is everywhere and if she disappears, I get worried. I know it sounds absurd but I can feel now. Seeing her get attention from the other members, I can’t help but feel angry. Why must she smile at them, why must she touch them? Can’t it be me that she touch and smile at? These thoughts run through my head all the time.”

My breath hitched as he confessed to me. My heart hurts, it feels like I was stabbed right through the heart.

“D-Do you feel like you have to protect her?” he nodded.

“When she is happy, you are happy? And when she is angry or sad, you feel the same?”

Yes.”

“Just by looking at her, your bad day can turn into a good one. Making you forget all your worries and such?” tears were starting to well up and I tried my best to now make my voice shake.

“Yes. How did you know?” I immediately looked away, avoiding his eye contact. My hair covered my side, preventing him from seeing my expression.

“You like her.” there was silence. Neither of us said anything for a while.

“You are in love with her.” it came out barely as a whisper.

“I’m in love with her.” he repeated my words. “So this is how love feels like. It’s warm.” I saw his hand moving to his chest.

“You are not the only one. There a few of them who are infatuated with her.”

“Who?” his voice grew louder.

“That’s for you to find out.” he ran his hand through his hair and sighed.

“What do I do?” then it occurred to me that it this maybe his first relationship. He couldn’t feel before but now with feelings, he could love someone.

“Tell her how you feel.” He fidget in his seat and hung his head.

“I don’t know how to tell her.

“Just be yourself. And compliment her lots, make her feel like she is a princess.”

“She is a princess.” He said.

“True, but make her feel like you are her prince.”

“How?” I looked at him, he looked frustrated and lost.

“Kris, just tell her how you feel.” He looked at me, my heart did a little flip. “Let her know you like her. That’s all that matters right?” He slowly nodded, my heart clenched in pain.

“I’m sure you got Luhan’s approval. There is nothing stopping you so just do it before the others do so.” My voice trailed off at the last part. It pains me to give him suggestions. And I’m helping him confess to someone else when I actually like him.

Yes, I’ll admit it. I’m in love with him.

I love Kris.

Just being around him makes me happy. The way he thinks about his friends, the way he does things oh so carefully and the way he looks at her. How I wished he would look at me like that.

“Do you think she will respond to me?”

“Yes, if you are sincere. She like you too you know.”

“I know.” he said.

I looked at him. “I’m just worried that she may not like the way I confess.” The moonlight shined onto his face, highlighting his facial features. His light brown, near blonde shone in the night. I stared at those strong jaws and high cheek bones, his cheeks. I wanted to hold his face in my hands and memorise his face.

I looked away and grabbed a fist full of t-shirt before closing my eyes. I breathe out a shaky breath. Damn he is handsome.

“You okay?” I opened my eyes and looked at him.

“Y-yeah. Just a little tired.” I lied. “I don’t feel so good, I’ll head back to the room.” I stood up and he watched me move. I paused at the door and turned back.

“Just be yourself. Good luck.” Before I could walk off, he grabbed my wrist, pulling me back.

“Thank you. You are the best girl-friend a guy could have.” His lips twitched upwards and he smiled for the first time. It was beautiful and mesmerising. It hurt me even more now that I know that Xue will be the one who can see his smile all the time. He let go and I walked back to my room and closed the door carefully, trying not to make any noise. I slid down and sat against the door. A tear dropped down my cheek. I closed my eyes and my shoulders shook from crying. The numbness came back as I sat there. I knew that I didn’t have much time left. I needed to do something but I couldn’t and it hurts.

A lot.

 

``````~~~~~``````


 

Over the next few days, nobody asked if I was okay. I stayed in the room all day and only came out if needed. I was a zombie literally. My hair was messy, I had dark eye bags and my cheeks which were once filled with baby fats, were now sunken. I didn’t recognise myself when I looked into the mirror. I knew I lost a lot of weight and looked terrible.

I looked lifeless.

There was only one thing that kept me going. I had to find my friend. I searched the organisation’s database on the citizens, hoping to find my friend or at least her contact number. I would hack into the government’s database to find her if I had too. I needed to see her even if it was for the last time.

I managed to get hold of someone with the same name and birthday. I took down the number. As I searched, I prepared a letter of resignation. I couldn’t stay here anymore. I didn’t want to. To me, this place is no long comfortable, it is plain torture. I want to leave.

I was about to call her when there was a knock on my door.

“We are having a meeting. Come down soon.” I walked to the door and open it.

“Hey, are you okay? You look terrible.” I just walked past him and headed down stairs. I wanted to get this done and over with.

“We are gathered here because we have to go on a business trip for 5 days. This time we will be going to china.” The Chinese members broke into a smile as Kris revealed what the meeting is for.

“We will be leaving tomorrow so do pack and prepare to leave.” He looked at Xue. “You will be coming with us.” She smiled and nodded happily. I just stared at the scene, everyone was chatting and happy. I felt out of place. Why am I even here at this meeting? None of these applies to me. I stood up and walked back to my room.

“Rin.” I stopped, not bothering to turn around. “You are coming with us too.”

“I don’t want to.”

“What?” I turned around and looked at him in the eye.

“I’m not going. I’m quitting.”

“Why? You can’t just quit, what about Xue noona?” Sehun exclaimed. I stared at him and he flinched slightly. He blinked at me, his eyes showed a bit of fear. I drifted my gaze and looked at all of them, I saw Chanyeol stiffen when my gaze landed on him before looking at Luhan.

“For the past two month or so, there wasn’t any incident. I already did my job past the normal time limit. My health has taken a toll for the worse and I’m not recovering. I’ve prepare my letter of resignation. I’ll place it on your desk.”

“But you can’t just-“ I turned and left the room ignoring the cries being made by the others. I took the letter and placed it on his desk and went back to my room. This was it. After this I won’t have to deal with them at all. I will be able to live my life as a normal 20 year old.

I took out my luggage and packed my clothes in. It was a good thing I didn’t have many items so it made packing easy. There was a knock on my door and Luhan came in with Lay.

“I won’t accept your letter.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Who will take care of Xue when we are on the business trip?”

“You can bring her home. Wouldn’t that be better? Besides you guys already took over my job. If you needed someone to look after her, you could have hired a maid.” He looked at me and I continued to pack my stuff. I must have hit him on the nail. I had to help her run errands, take care of her like a maid. That was not in my job scope.

“Please, don’t leave. I’ll pay you double.” He was begging me. The great Luhan was begging me to stay.

“I don’t need your money. I need my life.” I stared at them and spoke with a calm and firm tone. “All these months, I have been handling your sister. It’s not easy but I did my best. But what do I get back? I get blamed for not keeping her scratch free. Okay, I let that go but having to deal with a lady who behaves like a 5 year old and her crappy brother and friends for the past 6-7 months, I have enough. I’m human too, I have my life. I have been putting that aside and staying with you guys making sure that she isn’t in trouble or anything for 24 hours. Have you tried it? If you haven’t I suggest you to try it out yourself and see if you can handle it. I have never had a client like this before. Never in my life have I been treated like dirt by a client and for such a long period. I haven’t seen my family in 6 months and they only leave 2 hours down from here.”

They stood there shock at my revelation. I have never told them about this before, I kept it all inside.

“While you guys have breaks, I wasn’t given one. While you all were relaxing and having fun, I wasn’t. I haven’t had a break these 6 months. I can sue you for mistreatment.”

“I want my life back.” I said. “Please, just let me have my life back.”

“At least stay for another week. After that, you can leave.” He spoke, his voice wavered a little.

“Just hire a maid.”

“Rin. I’m sorry.” Lay spoke softly. “I should have known. I’m sorry.” He walked towards me. “It’s all our fault, we made you like this.”

“Please just hang on for another week. I promise I’ll treat you better, no we will treat you better.” I didn’t say anything and just stared ahead.

“I have had enough. I don’t want this anymore.” he hugged me. Luhan looked down and I could tell he didn’t know what to say anymore. It’s either he feels guilty or he is lost for words. Either way, I didn’t care. Lay pulled away and made me look at him, he had tears in his eyes.

“Please. Let me take care of you.” he whispered.

“One more week and I’m gone. No contacting, nothing at all. We are going to become strangers after one week. Back to where we were.” I stared at them.

“You better keep your promise.”

 

``````~~~~~``````


 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading