024

Just Like You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

``````~~~~~``````

 

We left the next day and Lay made sure to seat next to me on the plane. After yesterday’s talk, he kept his promise. He looked out for me more and made sure I was comfortable. The others didn’t come and find me yesterday. The 2 people I expected to come running to me didn’t come. They avoided me and I did the same. On the outside I may look fine, but on the inside, I was crumbling.

I was breaking apart.

I met eyes with Suho and he looked at me apologetically. He gave me a sad smile, so did Baekhyun. I just stared before looking away. I didn’t feel like seeing them at all. Another 7 days and I’ll be free from them. That was my only motivation left.

We touched down in a few hours and boarded the van waiting for us. I sat at the back and didn’t converse with anyone. I was feeling weaker as the days went by and I knew it was a sign. A sign that I didn’t have much time left. I gave up finding my family. I was going to die anyway what for should I find them then make them cry over me again? The van parked in front of a bungalow. Everyone got out and there stood a couple.

“Welcome back.” They smiled and Xue went to give them a big hug.

“Auntie. I missed you.” the lady patted her back and let out a small laugh.

“Then you shouldn’t have ran away. Silly girl.” The male standing next to her patted her head and showed a fatherly smile. The lady then went to give each member a hug and stopped in front of Lay.

“My son.” she tear up a bit and Lay when to hug her.

“I’m home mother, father.”

“Welcome back.” His father said and patted his back. He then caught sight of me standing next to the van, probably looking out of place.

“Who is that young lady?”

“That’s Rin. My friend and Xue’s bodyguard.” His mother came up to me and held my hand tenderly.

“Thank you for taking care of her. I know she can be a handful but thank you for keeping her safe.” I understood perfectly but Lay translated it to me thinking I didn’t know Chinese. None of them knew.

“No problem.” I said while looking at them. “Thank you for letting me stay.” They smiled and turned around leading the others into the house. I stood there and watched the maids scurry with the luggages. I walked up and grabbed a few.

“No, it’s okay. We can handle it.” the waved their hands and tried to take the bags from me.

“It’s okay. It will be faster this way. Thank you for your help.” I said in Chinese and bowed slightly before heading into the house, leaving them standing there dumbfounded.

The interior was simple and cosy. Everyone gathered in the living room and were given the rooms. I had my own room this time. I placed my bag down and sat on the bed. Qian suddenly appeared in front of me.

“It’s ending soon isn’t it?” she nodded slowly. I could tell she was sorry. “Don’t feel bad. It’s not your fault, it’s mine.”

“I want to bring you somewhere tomorrow.”

“If they let me leave, I come.”

“They will. I’m sure.” She nodded and held my hand.

“Thank you. For everything.” I said and looked at her. She smiled sadly and slowly disappeared. There was a knock on my door and Lay came in.

“How’s the room?”

“It’s okay.” He came over and kneeled down before me. Taking my wrist, he took my pulse.

“You are tired.”

“I know.” I have been giving them these one two word replies. I changed, because of them and because of him. He make me like this. He made me like him, exactly the same.

“Want to go downstairs?” I just nodded and left the room. He brought me to the garden and I looked at the flowers they grew. I heard someone enter and he moved from his position.

“She is pretty. Is she your girlfriend?”

“Mama, she is just a friend.”

“Oh, what a pity. She looks really lovely. She and Yi fan look good together.”

“Mama.” He asked her to stop.

“I’m just stating a fact. She made him shine brighter when she is next to him.” she paused before continuing. “She should smile more.”

“She does. But she doesn’t smile that much nowadays.” he was right, I haven’t been smiling for a while. I didn’t even realise it, now I know.

“Lay.” I turned around interrupting their conversation.

“Yes?”

“There is a place I need to go too tomorrow, can I have some time off?”

“Where? I’ll bring you there.”

“No need. I have the address. Just need to take a cab. I’ll be fine.” I assured him and he nodded giving me the green light. At least that is settled.

“Come in, dinner is ready.”

 

``````~~~~~``````

 

That night, I couldn’t sleep. I had pictures flashing behind my closed lids, pictures of that boy. I got up and walked out of my room. The hallway was dark and soft snores could be heard from the other rooms. I walked to the stairs and passed by this room. I turned and looked it, it was as if it was beckoning me to come closer. Slowly, I walked closer and held the door knob. I looked around, there wasn’t anyone around.

“Go.” I heard her voice softly and turned the knob. The door opened silently and I walked in. It was dark, the only light source was the moonlight streaming in through the day curtains. Even though it was dark, I could tell it was a girl’s room. The moonlight shone onto the bed as I walked towards it. The bed sheets were light purple, my favourite colour. I opened the closet next to it and it was full of clothes, new clothes with the tags still intact. Dresses, pants, shorts, T-shirts, blouses and skirts. You name it, they were there. Closing the door softly, I turned and walked towards the desk. There wasn’t anything on it, except a book.

A children’s book.

 

‘白雪公主和七个小矮人’

‘Snow white and the seven dwarfs’

 

My head started to hurt and my sight was covered by whiteness.

 

“Do you want me to read Snow white for you?” I nodded vigorously.

“Once upon a time…..” he began reading the story.

“The witch is bad.” I said. “I’m scared of her.”

“Don’t be. Gege will protect you from her. No one will touch Ning.” He hugged me tightly and I giggled.

“Gege are you a prince?” he smiled.

“I am your prince and you are my princess.” He stood up and bowed before me before grinning.

“I don’t want you to be my prince.”

“Why?” he tilted his head to one side.

“You are my xing xing.” I shouted and smiled.

 

I held my head as it was throbbing in pain. I was feeling dizzy and tears fell. That book was my favourite. Panting slightly, I looked up and Qian stood there, her eyes were filled with worry.

“Do you remember?” she asked softly.

”What do you mean?”

“Do you remember who you are?” she took a step forward and led me to a picture that was hanging on the wall. I didn’t notice it when I came in. she looked at the picture before looking back at me. I lifted my head and stared at the picture. It was a family portrait. A family of four.

Unconsciously, tears flowed down my cheeks and I started sobbing. I covered my mouth to muffle any sound trying to come out. My right hand reached forward and touched the picture. It was Lay’s family picture. There stood his parents and him, they were smiling brightly for the camera. Next to them was a little girl, she too was smiling. I traced her face with my finger and cried harder, my shoulders shook violently. I rested my finger on his face, he looked the same. How could I not have known?

My knees buckled and I fell. I covered my face and cried. Qian hugged me trying to comfort me.

“I-I’m sorry.” I croaked out softly as I took in short breaths as everything came back to me. I knew that girl. She loved light purple and snow white. She preferred wearing pants than to dress. She couldn’t eat spicy food just like her brother.

That girl is now 20 years old.

That girl was me.

“Don’t cry, Yi ning.” She whispered and rubbed my back. It was strange, it seemed like I could only feel her touches.

“I-I d-didn’t know.”

“Shhhh, it’s not your fault. You lost your memory. Now you can be together with them again. They have been waiting for you.”

“No.” I pulled away and wiped my tears away but they just kept falling. “I don’t have much time left. I don’t want them to cry because of me.”

I stood up and looked at the picture one last time. Qian held me by the arm and I walked out of the room without looking back. I knew who I was.

My name is Zhang Yi Ning.

 

The next day, I stay in the room. I was drained from crying all night and my eyes were swollen and red. I calmed down a lot and thought of what I should do next. I found my family but should I let them know who I am? What if they don’t believe me? I didn’t have much time left and I knew it. If I let them know who I am now they might be happy and all but once I’m gone, they will go back to being sad. It might be a big blow on them. I don’t want to take that chance. We should just stay just how we are right now. Strangers.

It would be for the best.

There was a knock on the door and the maid from yesterday came in.

“Good morning. I brought you breakfast because you didn’t come down.” she walked to me and as she got closer, she must have saw my swollen eyes.

“What happened? Are you okay?” she placed the tray on the bed and touched my forehead. She was about to go outside when I held her back.

“I’m fine. Don’t tell them, it’s nothing serious.” She looked at me and sighed.

“Okay, I won’t ask or tell. Eat, you need strength.” She held up the spoon and I took it from her, smiling a bit.

“Did they ask you to come here?” I was curious.

“No.” she shook her head. “I didn’t see you this morning so I thought that you might still be sleeping. I brought you food.” I took a good look at her, she was a middle age lady, probably the same age or slightly older than Lay’s parents. She has her fair share of wrinkles but she looks lovely to me.

“Thank you. It means a lot.” She sighed and patted my head.

“You remind me of someone.” She paused. “Has anyone told you that you look like Yixing?” I shook my head.

“Do I really look like him?” she chuckled and smiled.

“A little. Maybe because you have dimples as well. Eat well. I’ll go downstairs and get you something to drink.” She got up and left. I thankful towards her. Even if someone asked her to bring the food up or she did it on her own, at least someone came up stairs.

“At least someone remembers me.”

It was late afternoon when I came out of the room. The whole house was quiet, I guessed that they all went out or had to work. I walked down the long hallway letting my fingers touch the walls. Everything was nostalgic. I remember running down this hallway, hiding from Lay and my dad. It was so quiet and I loved it.

Thud.

I turned towards the sound and walked towards the room. The door was slightly ajar and I peaked in. There sat Lay whose head was in his hands. He looked stressed.

“You okay?” he looked up and when he saw me, he broke into a smile.

“Yeah, just a bit stressed over work stuff.”

“Can I come in?” he nodded and I went in. I wanted to spend more time with him, I want to know him better. His room was neat and simple. He had a mini office on one side of the room and it looked cute.

“Is there anything I can help with?” he gestured me to seat on the couch which I did.

“I’m good. Just met with some problems. It’s normal. What about you?”

“I’m okay I guess.” He looked at me for a while.

“You seem a bit pale but other than that, you seem to have more energy. That’s good.” He smiled again. There was this comfortable silence, maybe because we were siblings, just being with him made me comfortable. Like I can be who I really am.

“Are you hungry?” I nodded slightly. “Do you want to try my favourite food? I always have it when I come back.”

“Why not.” I smiled slightly. It was the best I could do now.

“I’ll go make it now. Stay here and make yourself comfortable.” With that he left me alone in his room. Curious about what made him stressed, I went to his desk where his computer was. I looked through what he was working on and found out why.

They have been working on this case for 2 years, they have had several clues but I guess they couldn’t catch of find out who those people were. While scrolling, something caught my eye. I paused and looked at the picture. It was the picture of a tattoo, a star. I’ve seen it before, in one of our data base. Seeing him stuck, didn’t make me feel good, I want to help him even if it is just a bit. I always carried around a thumb drive and took it out. I inserted it into the laptop and copied the file. I was going to help him.

After 15 minutes, he came back with a pot and chopsticks. He placed it on the table and is smelled delicious.

“Try it.” he looked at me happily and I took a bit. It was awesome. It was a bit sour and salty, my favourite combination. One could say that it was tasty and it suited my taste buds and I went for more.

“It’s delicious!” I said and he too dig in. Together, we spent a quiet afternoon together.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

``````~~~~~``````

Another update. I'll try to update more frequently.

Just want to say that I have nothing against the other members at all, especially Luhan. I thought he fitted the role so don't have anything against him. I have taken noticed that Rin and Kris doesn't have much interactions, I'll try to implement more in the future chapters. Just a heads up, the upcoming chapters maybe sad. Originally I wanted to make it a sad-happy ending but somehow it changed along the way so it may end up with a sad ending.

Thanks for the comments:) I'm glad that you are enjoying the story so far. Thanks for sticking around and subscribing.

♥ ❤ ♥