Chapter 026: No Place Like Home

Operation Kill This Love


 

Dada sat back in the driver's seat of the van, watching his companion swirl around in his swivel chair forlornly from the rear view mirror.

 

“Oh, don’t look so pathetic, Taimoto. You knew this was bound to happen one way or another.”

 

The ebony-gold rabbit only sighed in response.

 

“Come on,” the eldest of the two ordered. “keep your eyes on the screens. We need to make our timing right if we want to finish this quickly.”

 

_______xOperation Kill This Lovex: Last Strike_______

 

It was around six in the evening Thursday night, as Yugyeom was continuing to glare angrily at the tremendous amounts of homework sitting on his desk. His teachers seemed to think that the greatest time to spam their students with but their pointless assignments the night before the oh-so glorious Friday. Although Yug usually didn't mind having at least something to do when he got bored, his mind was nowhere close to thinking about history or mathematics; school in general wasn't his main concern.

 

'I hope mom gets home soon...'

 

Yugyeom's mother was out working the late shift that night, and wasn't supposed to be home until at least eleven. The fact that she was at work didn't worry him; he was used to that routine since she first got the job. However, what was worrying him was that he was sitting at home alone, and the kidnapper- or kidnappers- still roamed the streets, possibly looking for their next victim.

 

'Is tonight a kidnap night?'

 

Forgetful, he got up from his desk and went to one of his book shelves, pulling out a partially torn purple folder. When he opened it, the first thing that he saw was that month's calendar, marked with red pen. After Youngjae's sudden disappearance, he dated the day and titled it 'No YJ'; on the day of Jinyoung's disappearance, 'No Umma'. After Jaebum's disappearance (Which was labeled 'No Appa'), however, he noticed a small pattern with the different dates, and it seemed that he made an assumption on when the next one was coming, as a blank box was circled in red with a question mark inside it.

 

'This circle's on a Thursday...this Thursday...'

 

He had let out a small curse, closed the folder and placed it back on the shelf.

 

'I need to check if I'm able to block any possible entrances real quick. Then, I need to get back to doing my work.'

 

Nodding to himself, Yugyeom began to seal himself from the rest of the world, starting with his bedroom windows, especially the one near his desk; it wasn't able to lock, so he would need to find an alternative for it. After that, he let himself out and walked over to his mother's room to lock the windows down and pull her velvety curtains closed. When he stepped into the kitchen, however, he got distracted by a loud rumbling sound, which scared him until he realized it was just his stomach.

 

“Oh yeah, I forgot about dinner...” He thought out loud. “Maybe after I’m done securing the house, I could make myself a microwave dinner or something.”

 

With a sigh, Yugyeom continued his little job; he finished shutting the windows in the kitchen, which were then followed by the living room doors, and lastly, the front door. He surveyed the area one last time for any areas he may have missed.

 

"Alright, I think I got everything...time to eat! I wonder if there's any bulgogi left in the fridge..."

 

Before he could turn to the kitchen, however, there were sudden soft knocks at the front door. Yugyeom froze in place, slowly looking over at the door.

 

'Maybe if I stay quiet, the person will go away.'

 

"Yugi!" The visitor yelled. "I know you're home. You're the only one who forgets to turn off the lights once you leave a room."

 

"..."

 

The boy half-shamefully walked to the door and unlocked it, opening it to reveal BamBam standing in the darkness.

 

"What're you doing here? And so late at night?" Yug asked.

 

"Your mom called mine earlier and asked if I could come and keep you company for a bit, so I walked over, and now here I am."

 

"...best story ever."

 

"I know right?"

 

The duo chuckled amongst themselves as the elder of the two waltzed himself in.

 

"Have you eaten anything before I got here?"

 

"Nope. I was about to though, if there was any bulgogi left over."

 

"...Then...to the fridge we go!"

 

_______xOperation Kill This Lovex_______

 

It was a little past ten, and both of the boys were chilling in Yugyeom's room, trying to finish the younger's homework without staining it with bulgogi. It wasn't the easiest of tasks, to say the least, as their helpings were soaked in soy sauce.

 

"BamBam," Yugyeom whined. "Why was math invented?"

 

"Because they wanted something to torture us involving learning." The older replied, towering the latter with his half-empty bowl.

 

Yug groaned and took a bite out of his own dish, wiping his mouth of any drips of sauce. Annoyed as he was to have to finish his homework, Yugyeom was happy to at least have someone with him instead of being alone. To add to that, he was also able to have a helping hand with his work, as his super genius work-buddy was the best and only tutor he ever had.

 

"Hey, what's the value of this one?"

 

The eldest looked over at the paper again, eyeing the question with his round brown eyes.

 

"It's...I think it's -42."

 

"Okay." Yugyeom replied, "Thank you, hyung!"

 

"No problem, Yugi. If you have any more questions, just ask away."

 

"You got it~!"

 

Leaving his tall friend to finish, BamBam started mindlessly strolling around the small room with his little dinner in his hands. He always liked the way Yugi's room was set up; it was simple, but it also suited Yugyeom. The king bed was messy, as it usually was, with the velvety blue blanket hanging loosely on the side; it looked almost exactly like it did the last time BamBam visited. The two navy blue shelves were aligned on the left side of the bed, each one with six rows filled with nothing but books. One of the rows, however, had something sticking out.

 

'Hm? What's this?'

 

He placed his bowl on the bedside table and walked over to it; the specific shelf was thankfully just around his height so he can see it and get it easily. When he pulled the object out- the object was a folder -he nearly gasped at the title that was on it.

 

'Kidnap Log'

 

"Um...Yug?" BamBam his heels to face his friend. "Mind telling me why you have a 'log'?"

 

The youngster, who seemed to have finally completed his work, turned in his chair. When he looked up at his elder, there was a small hint of guilt shining in his dark eyes.

 

"Oh, well..." Yug bit his lip. "I just...wanted to keep track of the events..."

 

BamBam eyed the younger, as he opened the old folder; he was actually surprised at how organized it seemed to be. The papers that Yugyeom had either printed or written were in their own proper sections, with sticky notes and clippings covering most of the writing. He even made small documents of each of the missing teens, all with their contact names and photos. If Tats were to see what BamBam was reading, he would be so proud and probably show it off to the rest of the boys; you know, before killing the boy.

 

"Holy cow, Yugi. You worked hard on this didn't you-"

 

His sentence ended abruptly, as he saw something hiding Jaebum's photo. It was one of those print-out mini calendars, this month's issue to be exact. Yugyeom's red pen marks were all over the sheet, with dates labeled and small notes written on the side. On one the dates, there was a big red circle around it, inside the circle a bolded question mark.

 

'He...figured out the pattern...but not the next victim...'

 

"BamBam?" Yugyeom asked, waving his hand in front of the shorter boy's face.

 

"H-huh? Oh, sorry, just...Yugyeom, when did you do all this?"

 

"I've been working on it for...maybe the past few days? I don't remember, but I do remember what I wrote in my notes."

 

"And, when were you gonna show your research to the police?"

 

"...um..."

 

"Yugyeom." BamBam said sternly. "Were you gonna show this to them at all?"

 

The latter looked down. "I've been meaning to, yeah. Like, maybe you and I could go down and show it. Then maybe, they could try and catch the-"

 

"I'm afraid we can't do that."

 

The room went dead silent at the comment. The silence wasn't like their sweet quiet moments; it was unwanted, unneeded, and unexplained. Yugyeom looked at his friend puzzled, and slightly fearful at the stoic look he was being given.

 

"W-why not?" Yug asked.

 

BamBam's answer was only the silence. His usually happy, sparkling eyes went dull, wet with the tears that he was trying to keep in. The latter saw this, and placed his hands on his friend's face, wiping the escaping tears.

 

"BamBam? What's going on? Why're you crying over this?"

 

"I...I-I'm not crying over this," BamBam whimpered, flailing the folder a bit. "But...you won't be able to turn this in."

 

"What?" Yugyeom was confused; how did that make any sense?

 

Suddenly, he felt a cold breeze on his back; he only ignored it, along with the creeping figure.

 

"I'm sorry…” The eldest mumbled.

 

“Sorry? BamBam, what are you sorry for?!”

 

“For this…”

 

“For what- ow!”

 

There was a sudden sting of force on his shoulder. He took one of his hands away from his confusing friend’s face to rub the aching area, only to feel something more than just skin; he felt a metallic body, with a feathery end.

 

‘Why...is there an arrow on my back..?’

 

Yugyeom heard himself groan and stumbled into BamBam’s shaking arms.

 

“Sweet dreams, Sleeping Beauty.”

 

‘That voice...that’s not BamBam’s...who else is…’

 

His thought then drifted into nothing, as the tranquilizer went on full effect, leaving him unconscious; unable to awaken for a while.

 

“Yugi...I’m sorry...Ehe...I guess I know how Dae felt about all this now…It ing hurts.”

 

“Sleeping Beauty’s finger has been pricked,” Dada said monotonically into the walkie talkie. “there’ll be no prince to wake them up for the next 10 hours.”

 

_______xOperation Kill This Lovex: Last Strike/Yugyeom_______


(Note...Well . I managed to finish this chapter before V-day...don’t know whether to be proud or...ANYWAYS~!! I’m really sorry if I had hurt your feels with this whole ‘betrayal’ thing that just happened between Yugyeom and BamBam but...you kind of saw this coming right? No? Well, if you didn’t, SURPRISE!! Now, I’m going to now try and figure out what the hell I need to write for the next chapter, but until then, talk to you later, my lovely pyschopaths~