Chapter 014: Too Sweet

Operation Kill This Love


 

"Jackson's still moving."

 

There was disappointment in the tone of Yongguk's voice, with a hint of joy.

 

"I warned him today was the beginning." Toto sighed, looking over at his hyungs with a masked frown.

 

"This means Keke has to start the chain."

 

"Why me?" The white one asked.

 

"Because Shishi-hyung said so; and because you're closest to your target. So you have to. And can you bring back a cake or two after work for me please?"

 

_______xOperation Kill This Lovex: Strike One_______

 

It was a normal Tuesday in the local coffee shop; the early birds were sipping on their fresh beverage, the college kids were typing out their excruciating long essays, and Youngjae was getting extremely busy with the orders. One customer wanted this kind of coffee, another wanted a slice of cheesecake with theirs; it all seemed too much for him to handle.

 

And it's only been fifteen minutes since he started his shift! Then again, schools were just now letting out the students, so of course the place would be flooded.

 

Although it seemed tiring and annoying to most teens his age, Youngjae would never complain much about the unexpected rush hours. He was a hard worker, Daehyun admitted, and always made the day better for even the grumpiest of customers that would walk through that door.

 

The owner kept his eye on his employee from afar, aka the room where he bakes his cakes, looking amazed at how the boy's cute smile had yet to falter under pressure. Yes, Dae would see that smile almost every afternoon (and in all hours of the weekend), but that didn't mean he wasn't allowed to stare once in a while. His mind drifting off, he nearly forgot about the coffee cakes that he stuffed into the oven.

 

Nearly.

 

By the time the timer had begun to beep, the cakes were already pulled out of the mouth of the appliance and set on the cooling rack. Daehyun smirked victoriously at the scrumptious sweet breads before him; they looked perfectly fluffy, just the way he, along with his happy customers, liked it.

 

"Baker's instinct." He stated to no one, slipping his oven mitts off his little hands and placing them on the table. He looked back into the small window of the room's door, and felt his heart melt at the sight of the tough young barista, who was handing a regular customer her usual espresso and slice of cheesecake.

 

Now, it may be very hard to believe such a nice man like Jung Daehyun would do any sort of wrong, especially to one of his favorite kids; but he most certainly can. Working with someone like Bang Yongguk for about six years can change someone’s life, along with their perspective of life. Back when Dae was little, he thought nothing of death, or anything about being the one to cause it; but here he was now, 21 and part of a hitman organization, taking the lives of the innocent to please the ungodly rich sinners. The whole idea of it still bothered the kindhearted man, but he didn't want to end up dead like the last guy he had to go after, so he had kept his mouth shut.

 

"Hyung! I need some more of the coffee cakes please!" Said the childish boy from the other side.

 

"Coming!" The man slipped on the mitts once more and picked the breads up, walking out the door to the rhythm of the happy music escaping the speakers. This afternoon choice was 'Breathe' by none other than G-Dragon, a popular idol who pleases his many fans by his voice. The beat of this song was very heart-pumping, always getting the non-morning people up and moving as they danced around; and some of the customers actually did as such!

 

As he was placing the coffee cakes into the glass box, he saw two girls, most likely from the college down the street, goofing off and giggling as they danced what moves they could remember from the music video. Most would get onto them for acting this was way in a cafe, but to Daehyun, the day was still young; let 'em have their fun! To be honest, he'd rather have a café filled with happy-go-lucky children and teens than whiny adults.

 

By the end of this night, however, one smile would be missing from the work day; his most favorite smile, the smile that makes him feel almost human again.

 

He hated how such young and lively children were brought into things, especially ones as deadly as this. He didn’t see why Mark couldn’t just kill the boy in first place, but then again saw why he most certainly couldn’t now; emotions got in the way of everything. Working as a teenager could cause things like this to happen to a boy, if they’re one of the unlucky ones, which Tuan unfortunately now fell under the category of. There was nothing wrong with being a teen, of course, but having to have grown attached to people like he did can start some havoc.

 

AKA, the situation he, along with the B.A.P and Mark’s ‘friends’ got into.

 

“Dae-hyung?”

 

The young adult snapped out of his thoughts with the happy and childish voice he fell in love with.

 

“Are you alright? You seem to be dazing off…” Youngjae remarked, his large chocolate eyes staring up at his boss. So much care in such dark and young eyes, always making it hard for the latter to lie with simple and believable words; words he never accepted as his own. Every word Daehyun told him were of another hyung, another man that was living in the same body, but a different life. Many comparisons could possibly be made, but never personality-wise; one was a baker at heart, filled with hopes and dreams surrounded by happiness, and the other was a killer, fearful mad unfaithful with only his gang as his 'friends'.

 

With his artificial laugh and grin, the older replied gaily, "Everything's fine! I've just been thinking of this new recipe I found last night, and I was hoping you would like to give it a taste test for me."

 

Each word made his heart pang.

 

'Please say no,' he begged in his mind, 'say no and go home unharmed.'

 

Unfortunately, but predictably, his employee's answer was the complete opposite.

 

"Of course, hyung! I'll always be glad to help!"

 

Though saddened by his choice, Daehyun couldn't help but chuckle at Youngjae's cute enthusiasm; he always liked taste testing a new recipe, even if it ended up with trying something grotesque, which had yet to happen. There was not a single thing that Daehyun could list as a flaw for his little helper, besides the fact the young one was somewhat oblivious; he could sense when someone was sad, but brushed it off once he heard some sort of excuse.

 

Such a large problem for a situation like this.

 

"Alright, then you need to head to the back after we close." Dae stated.

 

"You got it!" The latter replied with his smile.

 

Daehyun was going to miss seeing that.

 

_______xOperation Kill This Lovex_______

 

Youngjae was hopping around as he cleaned the small tables in the café, checking the clock almost every second for time to announce the doors to officially be closed. There was joy during this wait, for the boy was happy to always be with his hyung; mainly when they were alone together. The smiles and the bond they shared made up of the lack thereof that was in his little group.

 

He didn’t hate them or anything like that, but it seemed like everyone had their partner in the bunch; Jinyoung with Jaebum, Yugyeom with BamBam, and Mark reluctantly with Jackson; and where was Youngjae’s?

 

Many would call it just a sense of needing attention in his situation, but what Youngjae had and felt for his hyung was pure admiration, and maybe a bit of a crush. There was no such thing as wrong when it came to crushes on other males for the Korean boy; he, of course, learned this from his ‘Umma’ Jinyoung. There were no boundaries, even in age, so Youngjae didn’t feel any sort of unsettled or uncomfortable emotions when he realized his small (or perhaps huge) crush on Daehyun.

 

A huge smile then creeped onto his face as the ding of the wall clock chimed in the empty room, the work day finally at its end. Youngjae, with merriment and glee, placed his cleaning rag over his shoulder as he went to the front door and flipped the bold red sign from ‘open’ to ‘closed’.

 

“Youngjae-ah!” his hyung hollered from the back, “Time for your taste test~!”

 

“Coming hyung!” He his heels and strode over to the baker’s area. The young Choi slid over the countertop and pushed open the baker's door, the heat of the ovens meeting his face. It felt unbearably warm, unlike the freezing fall breeze awaiting Youngjae outside the café.

 

"I'm back here!" He heard.

 

Youngjae slowly walked over to the back part of the room as instructed, and turned a small corner for his eyes to meet the slouched back of his handsome employer. Taking this as some 'spy time', he quietly looked over the figure before him; the way his shoulder blades would slightly stick out of his white uniform and how the toned arms in the sleeves would bunch up the material as Daehyun was moving. The boy began to blush brightly when his eyes landed on the grown man's derrière, but it looked very nice.

 

Not that he would stare at it a lot.

 

Choi quickly averted his eyes to a nearby wall when the latter began to turn around.

 

"Are you ready to try the new addition to the menu?" His hyung asked, with an uncharacteristic crack in his tone.

 

The younger hummed in reply, his eyes wandering to the plate held before him. It looked scrumptious, as most of the male's baked goods do, with creme cheese frosting sprinkled with small chunks of walnuts atop the dish.

 

"What is it exactly?" Youngjae asked.

 

"It's banana bread cake! The original recipe I got it from was plain, but I thought it would be fun to add some delicious decor on it as well."

 

The plate was then in Youngjae's hands, with no fork in his sight.

 

"Uhm...hyung...? Don't I need something to eat it with?"

 

"Ah, don't worry, I got you."

 

A fork appeared in Daehyun's hand from God-knows-where, silver and clean as a whistle, only to stab into the frosting to take a small bit of the pastry.

 

Dae looked at the younger with a small watery smile and chirped, "Say ahh~."

 

The boy blushed at this, but looked more concerned about his hyung; Daehyun didn't seem to be himself that day. He was spacing out every time Youngjae wasn't near him, or wore a frown on his face as the other 'wasn't looking' his way.

 

"Hyung?" Youngjae muttered, "Are you okay? You haven't been yourself since I came in today, and I'm really getting worried. Did I do something?"

 

The elder shook his head, inching the fork forward towards his boy as he said shakily, "You never do anything wrong, Youngjae-ah. Just take a quick bite..."

 

Daehyun's hand was beginning to look more shaky, only visible by the vibrations the fork seemed to give off as it was getting closer and closer to the other's mouth. The boy was too sweet to deny having a small bite, but he would make sure to interrogate afterwards. With suspicious eyes, and for Daehyun, a heavy heart, Youngjae took the small portion in his mouth and started to chew.

 

It was indeed delicious, just as he knew it would, but it seemed to have a different taste; he's had a few banana bread slices in his lifetime. He could still taste the fruit, the textured walnuts, and the frosting, but there was something else there bothering him.

Nonetheless, he swallowed it and wiped his mouth clean with his sleeve.

 

"It was great!! Now, can you tell me what's really wrong- humph!"

 

A pair of arms engulfed him into a solid but cottony wall; Daehyun was hugging him tightly. Youngjae couldn't tell what to think of this gesture, even though the elder gave him many hugs before this, but there was something strange. In his ear were the repeated words, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry', the reason unbeknownst to him, but haunting the latter's heart and mind greatly.

 

The younger wrapped his arms around his hyung's back in confusion, but also in worry.

 

"What are you sorry about...?"

 

Daehyun went quiet, his arms still held tightly around the smaller male, his face hidden in the crook of his neck. His entire being was wobbly, hands clenching tightly to the fabric on the boy's back; breaths short but unnoticeable on his neck; something was very wrong. The strangest, however, was that Youngjae himself began to shiver violently.

 

He was sounding as if he had no control of his voice as he stuttered, "What's g-going on? D-Dae-Hyu-hyung, what was in the c-cake?"

 

Everything began to blur before his eyes; his legs gave up from under him, but Daehyun's arms were able to keep him somewhat up. Numbness then took over him, crawling with nimble claws from his toes to his head, which was banging and aching from an unknown force. Though he felt such pain, he never let go of his hyung as his eyes began to grow unbearably heavy.

 

"H-hyung..." He whispered tiredly, "what was in that cake..."

 

No answer reached his ears, as he was put painfully to sleep, his clenching hands falling to Dae's signs. They both stayed there, one unconscious and the other frightened, their beings the only witnesses of what had occurred.

 

With a shaky figure, he was able to lift his Youngjae up a bit higher and placed him on a nearby chair, keeping him in a comfortable position. Out of his pants pocket, he pulled out a pure black walkie, and spoke with a hard and breaking voice; his true voice.

 

"Snow White bit the Poison Apple. I'll put her in the casket and take her to the woods."

 

Daehyun looked back at the 'sleeping' figure, knowing that this was only the beginning of the chain, and there were more to come.

 

_______xOperation Kill This Lovex: Strike One/Youngjae_______


(Note: I told you I would release this sooner than you'd think. Why? Because I'm a morbid person that plans the death of others (even fictionally) beforehand. But yeah, here's the first victim of Mark's emotional stupidity! Don't hurt me...I'll talk to you later, pyschos!!