Meet the Neighbors

Cafe Lulo

A blue Honda pulled up on the driveway.

"They must be the new neighbors," Kang Minhyuk spoke to himself as he opened the blinds of his window. 

"Who? Kang Sora, Minhyuk's older sister asked from behind him.

"The new neighbors," Minhyuk repeated himself. 

"Let's go," Sora patted him on the shoulder. 

"Where?" Minhyuk asked. 

"Help them unload?" Sora said, in a tone that showed she expected Minhyuk to already know this. 

Krystal had her earbuds in and was listening to Buen Camino by Shin Hyesung and Lyn. It was her favorite latest song. She lazily danced to it on the drievway as her parents struggled to transport their luggage from their car and the movers brought in their furniture from the truck. She could faintly hear her parents yelling at her to help them, but she pretended not to hear. 

"Omo!" her mother suddenly exclaimed. 

The louder volume of voice catching her attention, Krystal pulled out her earbuds and walked over to where a girl and a boy, most likely siblings, were standing by her parents. 

"Ahn yeon ha saeyo," they both formally greeted, bowing their heads. 

"I'm Kang Sora and this is my younger brother Kang Minhyuk. I apologize our parents not being here, you see, they're on a business trip, but the Kangs welcome you as our new neighbors." 

The girl was very pretty. Her complexion was clear and pale, and she was lean and tall. Krystal suddenly felt the need to stand up straighter. 

"Oh, how wonderful!" her mother exclaimed, "You can address me as Mrs. Jung, and this is my husband. Oh, Krystal! She's our daughter."

Krystal walked over to her new neighbors. 

"Hi," she listlessly lifted her hand up. 

Embarrassed by her rudeness and lack of enthusiasm, Mrs. Jung quickly shoved a box into Krystal's arms and gave her a stern look, but before Krystal could protest, Minhyuk took the box for her. However, when he reached over, their hands touched and just for a second, just for a moment, the two glanced at each other. Yet, before either could recollect the skinship that had just happened, Minhyuk walked off with the box and was already heading for the front door. 

"Where should I put it?" he asked. 

Sora also took a suitcase from the trunk and prevented Krystal's mother from taking it from her.

"We didn't prepare anything to give," Sora smiled sincerely, "The most we can give right now is our help."

Krystal's father put two heavy boxes to his daughter.

"More like physical labor," Krystal muttered under her breath. 

"Uh-huh!" Mr. Jung scolded and flicked Krystal's forehead. 

"You're lucky we have guests around," she threatened him, "Or else I would have thrown a fit."

"Exactly," he laughed, "That's why I'm using this time to bother you wisely."

Krystal rolled her eyes at her father. He was always going to be her old man, no matter what. 

The luggage seemed to come at them nonstop. By the time everything was set, everyone was sweating. Mrs. Jung asked everyone to gather at the new living room, although there was nothing there but a couch at the moment. 

"I'm sorry for not having any drinks," she apologized, seeing that Sora and Minhyuk was sweating.

"It's alright," Minhyuk replied, sitting down, next to Krystal. 

He glanced over at her and smiled. Krystal felt tingly inside. His gaze was made her posture stiff and herself nervous. She didn't like it because it kept setting her off her usual. 

"Are you planning on doing anything in the summer?" Sora asked Krystal's parents. 

"Oh, well," Mrs. Jung answered, "For my husband and I, we're not sure, but Krystal will be working a summer job at a cafe. You see, my brother owns it."

"Cafe?" Minhyuk asked, "Which one?"

"Um," Mrs. Jung had to think about it, "Krystal, what was the name?"

"Lulo," Krystal replied dully. 

"Cafe Lulo?" Minhyuk exclaimed.

"Yes," Mrs. Jung responded, "Why?"

"Our Minhyuk works there too," Sora explained. 

Krystal's eyes widened.

"I guess I'll be seeing a lot of you this summer," Minhyuk turned around to look at her.

His eyes were bright and his smile so innocent. Krystal didn't know if seeing him often during this new summer of hers would be good or not. Good because she could clarify this odd aura she felt when around him, but bad since then it would hard to be lazy at work because for some reason, she really didn't want to leave a negative impression on this particular guy.