Bonding

Cafe Lulo

Uncle Go Soo walked Krystal to her cabin, and guess who? Minhyuk was waiting at her door. 

"Minhyuk?" Krystal quickly wiped away dried tears on her face. 

That was Go Soo's cue to leave. 

"Good night, Krystal," he said. 

Krystal didn't even hear him. 

"What are you..." she was too humilated to even speak.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay," Minhyuk explained, not able to meet her eyes, "I'm your partner so I should be responsible for you."

Krystal laughed and sat down on the cabin steps. Minhyuk sat next to her. 

"I don't think you have to be responsible over these kind of things, if you're just my partner."

"Fine," Minhyuk rolled his eyes, "It's because I'm your friend too."

"I haven't had one for a long time," Krystal sighed.

"Friends?" Minhyuk was surprised.

"Yeah," she responded, "I transferred in and out of schools so quickly that I had no time to bond with the other students. And by the third time of my transferring process, I decided to give up. Plus, if I make any bonds with people and leave right away, it'll be hard for me."

"I see."

"Well," Krystal poked Minhyuk's cheek, "I know your story is completely different."

"What do you mean?" Minhyuk asked.

"Your life..." Krystal heaved a sigh, 'Is probably perfect."

"Wow!" Minhyuk exclaimed, surprising Krystal, "Boy, have you got that wrong."

"How?" Krystal was so confused, "You're popular, you have a beautiful sister and you guys get along, you have a big house, and your parents seem to be quite successful!" 

"They're not.." Minhyuk stared at her with deep eyes, "...my real parents."

"What?" Krystal whispered. 

"You wouldn't have been so surprised," Minhyuk said calmly, "I look nothing like my parents."

"Then Sora?" Krystal tried her best to not saying something too hurtful on the touchy topic, "Is she...?"

"Nah," Minhyuk crinkled his nose, "Somehow we look similar. Or at least, that's what people say because they claim they can tell we're related."

"But...why are you telling me this?"

"You seem to be having a hard time," he gazed at her, "And I don't know...Just wanted to show you that you're not the only one going through hardships, although I don't know what you're going through."

Krystal felt ashamed. She was crying over her ex boyfriend while Minhyuk hadn't shed a tear about his family background. 

"Mine's nothing compared to yours," she laughed.

"A guy, right?" Minhyuk guessed.

Krystal wanted to die. 

"I saw," Minhyuk chuckled, "Quite the looker. Fit too."

"Oh my gosh," Krystal covered her face with her hands. 

"It's fine!" Minhyuk pulled her hands away to reveal Krystal's face. His hands held hers firmly. 

"Minhyuk," Krystal returned to a serious note, "Who knows...about your parents?"

"Everyone at Cafe Lulo," Minhyuk answered. 

"Everyone?" Krystal reacted.

"I mean, just the staff. You haven't worked there yet so you wouldn't know, but the staff number is small and so we're all very close. I trust them with anything," Minhyuk explained.

"Do you know...who you're real parents are?"

Minhyuk laughed heartily.

"Haha, nope. And I don't plan on looking for them."

"You don't?" Krystal was surprised by his answer. 

"Nah," Minhyuk said in a joking tone, "They must have had a reason...that they left me."

Krystal stared at Minhyuk. Someone who was able to smile everyday...had such an unfortunate past. Krystal felt bad for him and her heart ached.

"You always help others," she began, "And you act all strong inside, but you're actually fragile, aren't you?"

Minhyuk didn't reply. 

"You know," Krystal smiled at him, "I'm your friend. You said it too."

"I know," he laughed weakly. 

"So, you can lean on me sometimes," she said happily, "And share some of that burden with me."

"And why would I want to do that to you?" Minhyuk titled his head at her, "It would just get you involved into nonsense."

"Because," she responded, "I want to."

"Why?" Minhyuk grinned, "It's just more complicated."

"Because..." Krystal couldn't resist any longer. 

She stood up suddenly.

"What's wrong?" Minhyuk asked her. 

Krystal took a deep breath.

"Oh God," Minhyuk thought to himself, "Is she going to kiss me?"

Yet, Krystal bent down...

 

 

...and hugged Minhyuk tightly, wrapping her arms around his back.

"You can talk to me about it, if you want," she offered.

"You still didn't answer me," Minhyuk said teasingly, "Why?"

Krystal looked up at him. 

"I already told you."

"You did?" 

"Uh-huh."

"Then tell me again."

Krystal stood up on her tippy toes and leaned in towards Minhyuk's face to whisper in his ear. 

"Because---"

But Krystal leaned forward a bit too much and lost her balance. 

"Whoa!" Minhyuk barely saved her from the hitting the ground. 

Krystal opened her eyes. 

"You alright?" Minhyuk laughed. 

"Yup, sorry about that," Krystal scratched her head. 

Krystal bent down to dust her shoes off, but when she was about to speak to Minhyuk again, she saw quite a sight over Minhyuk's shoulder.

An infuriated Victoria.