Different

Cafe Lulo

The cadence of the pouring rain gave a gentle pitter patter on the car window. Scenes of Krystal's short-lived experience at the town she was leaving flashed in her mind as she passed her previous school. Neatly buttoning up her uniform shirt in front of her mirror, introducing herself with the same words she had used already five times already, and finally, taking her final steps down the school entrance after transferring. School life had always been boring for Krystal because she would transfer out of schools as abruptly as she had transferred in. Her father's occupation obviously limited her freedom. 

"You should get some sleep, dear," her mother suggested from the passenger seat, "It'll be quite some time before we get to Seoul."

"I'm not tired," Krystal sighed, feeling insipid from staring at the uniform drops of precipitation falling down in front of her. 

"You're going to be," her mother said, "Because you're not only going to be attending school."

"What are you talking about?" Krystal was very surprised. She had assumed it would be the same in-and-out routine again. 

"We're not moving anymore," her mother announced excitedly.

"What?" Krystal was shocked.

"And since we're going to get there during school's summer break, I found you something to do during the summer so you can meet new people."

"Mom!" Krystal complained, exasperated that this was the first time she was hearing of such news.

"It's a cafe," her mother explained, ecstatic and trying to ignore Krystal's frowning reaction, "I was recommended that place because a lot of students from your school work there for the summer."

"What?" Krystal threw her arms up in the air. 

"Remember at our family gathering you met Uncle Goo Soo?" Krystal's father suddenly mentioned.

"Yeah, what does he have to do with any of this?" Krystal slapped her hand over her face, "Ugh."

"He owns the cafe," her father added.

"But---" Krystal tried to refuse. 

"So you're going to be comfortable working there," her mother finished the conversation. 

"Knowing Uncle Goo Soo, it's probably some cheesy name that just serves black coffee and blueberry muffins," Krystal predicted. 

"It's actually extremely popular," her father chimed in again, "Although I'm not sure why though. I don't think it's because of the food, but doesn't matter. Since the place does well, employee pay is relatively average."

"What is it called, then?" Krystal sparked a bit of interest in anything if it had to do with money. She was always impecunious. 

"Cafe Lulo."