The Differences

Bound to Love, Bound to You

As the weather was turning a little warmer for the spring, people around the campus started to sit outdoors, during their free time or breaks, to enjoy the slight breeze of the natural wind. With a little sunshine peeking out from the clouds, giving the earth a bit of warmth for the spring.

Kyuhyun was on a bench facing a wide view of the open space in front of the building that he had his lessons earlier, munching on a sandwich while browsing through the newapaper on 'Jobs Classification". He had marked on the part time jobs that he thought he might be interested in applying diligently, determined to make a difference in his life for a change.

Just as he was circling another job ad, someone seated himself in front of him without asking for Kyuhyun's permission. Feeling a little annoyed and not wanting to get disturbed by anyone, Kyuhyun raised his head but he swallowed back his words when he saw a grinning handsome boy.

 

"Hey." Siwon greeted, with his dimples deeply plastered on both side of his cheeks.

"Hi." That was all he could say, afterall, it was hard to be angry with a smiling person. A handsome one in fact.

"What are you doing?" Siwon asked, with his eyes on the newspaper.

"Looking for a part time job obviously." Kyuhyun replied, turning his attention back on his job-hunting.

"Oh, why would you want to work part time?" Siwon asked again, "Didn't your family provide you enough allowance?"

Kyuhyun sighed, and looked up once again, "Choi Siwon, where are your friends? Why are you alone here?"

"Why are you avoiding my questions?" Siwon sulked, "And do you always sound like I cannot live without my friends?"

"Well, you are as a matter-of-fact, that you are surrounding with friends." Kyuhyun mumbled, "You don't have to deal with me all the times."

 

"But, I thought we are friends, and study buddy furthermore for calculus class..." Siwon answered, "And to be honest, actually, I don't feel there is a need to have many friends to be with me all the times. In fact, I enjoy you as a company more than a group of people that sometimes I don't understand what are they talking about..."

Kyuhyun was startled to hear such words from Siwon, that he stopped with his munching and his job hunting. He stared at Siwon trying to understand the guy smiling at him, but he just can't find an answer, or a reason to be mad at Siwon for being so clingy in befriending him.

Seeing those doe eyes budging out so comically, Siwon couldn't help but having a need to tease.

"Why are you staring at me? Am I too handsome that you can't stop staring?" Siwon chuckled.

Kyuhyun let out a soft laugh before he resumed his job hunting exercise.

 

"Hey! Are you laughing at me?" Siwon pouted.

"Yes, I am. Of you being so full of yourself." Kyuhyun replied.

"But," Siwon smirked, "You cannot NOT agree that I am handsome." 

"Show off..." Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, though he could not find an arguement to disagree. Because indeed, Siwon is a real handsome looking guy, that many would want to be his friends, and girlfriends.

 

"Ok enough of the tease." Siwon slammed his hands on the table top, which caused Kyuhyun to jump up a little, "You have not answer my initial questions. Why are you looking for a part time job?"

Kyuhyun sighed, "Because I wanted to?"

"More money?"

"Nope... More like, I want to be more responsible for my life, and not always eating on others." Kyuhyun explained.

"Not always eating on others?" Siwon didn't get the meaning.

 

Kyuhyun hesitated, as he was not really keen to share his past, even though Siwon is now consider his friend. He fidgeted the sandwich on the left hand, while the left hand was playing with the corner of the newspaper, thinking through his mind to come out with an excuse to brush Siwon off.

Catching the little actions from Kyuhyun in his eyes, Siwon knew there must be something that Kyuhyun was not ready to share.

 

"Hey, its fine if you did not want to share with me." Siwon smiled, "I understand... Everyone would have something in their hearts that are not ready to let out."

"Thanks..." Kyuhyun smiled, genuinely at Siwon for being thoughtful.

And Siwon was dazzled, by Kyuhyun's small smile, making his porcelain milky face even more beautiful...

 

"You should smile more... You look so..."

"Not beautiful again!!" Kyuhyun exclaimed.

"Oops! You can read my mind! Haha!!" Siwon laughed.

"I am NOT beautiful! Why can't I be handsome as you?" Kyuhyun sulked.

"Oh!! So you really think I am handsome! Hahahaha!!" Siwon teased, and laughing so hard that he had to hold his crutching tummy.

"...." Kyuhyun just shut his mouth, not wanting to comment anymore on Siwon's thick-skinned.

"Don't you think we make a good pair?! The handsome and the beautiful.. Whoooooo so romantic~" Siwon continued with his teasings that earned a few more stares from the beautiful one.

 

Once the pair was done with the teasings, Kyuhyun returned to his job hunting again. Siwon observed Kyuhyun at his serious side looking so attentively at each and every job classification. Then, he thought of an idea, and even grinned at the idea that he had.

"Kyuhyun," Siwon called out.

"Hmmm?" Kyuhyun's eyes were still on the newspaper.

"Actually, I have a part time job ready for you." Said Siwon.

"Huh?" And that got the attention from Kyuhyun.

"If you don't mind, I can introduce a job for you." Siwon replied.

"You have?"

Siwon nodded, "Yup. Tell you what, I will meet you tomorrow here, after our lessons. I will bring you there."

"But what if I am not suitable?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Oh, then you can do the job hunting again." Siwon answered, "How about it?"

 

Kyuhyun thought about it for a while, no harm trying actually, and he can save the trouble of finding job so aimlessly...

"Ok." Kyuhyun agreed.

"Great! Lets exchange our numbers, so we can be in contact with each other for tomorrow." Siwon grinned sheepishly.

Kyuhyun narrowed his eyes, "Is this an excuse for getting my number?" But he fished out his phone afterall.

"Hey! I am not...that sneaky..." Siwon stuck out his tongue, "Though I really did want to have your number. Can you believe that we don't have each other's numbers? And we are supposed to be study buddy..."

 

"...Do you want my number or do you want to keep talking?" Kyuhyun handed the phone over to Siwon, while the other hand was held out to get Siwon's phone.

Siwon grinned as they exchanged their phones to key in their numbers. And he almost laughed out when he typed the name to save together with his number in Kyuhyun's phone. Not having any suspicious on Siwon, Kyuhyun received his phone back, and started to browse for Siwon's name. But he couldn't find the name at all.

Siwon did the same, and found Kyuhyun saved his number together with 'Kyuhyun', "That is so not creative..."

"What did you saved as in my phone?!" Kyuhyun frowned, "I can't find a 'Siwon' at all."

"Because I don't save as Siwon." Siwon raised his eyes from his phone, "You got to be creative in creating your phonebook."

"...What did you saved as?" Kyuhyun asked again.

 

"...Handsome Siwon."

 

"...Seriously?" Kyuhyun could not form any logical word to rebuke on Siwon's egotistic anymore.

"Well, you can change it to something else."

"Like...?"

"Stunning Siwon." Siwon grinned even wider, seeing the astonished look from Kyuhyun.

 

Shaking his head not wanting to use his energy in arguing with Siwon, Kyuhyun packed his stuffs preparing to leave.

"Hey, lets stay a while more. I want to know more about you." Siwon tried to stop Kyuhyun from leaving, but Kyuhyun continued to pack.

"I need to attend an appointment. I will see you tomorrow." Kyuhyun stood up to bid goodbye.

"Oh...ok. Do you need a lift then? I can drive you over." Siwon asked.

 

Handsome, popular, cheeky, cheesy, and rich to own a car. This guy...is a something..

 

"Its ok. I can make my way there on my own." Kyuhyun threw his sling bag over his shoulder, "Well, goodbye Choi Handsome Siwon."

Siwon laughed, "I know you will admit it sooner or later. Bye Cho Beautiful Kyuhyun."

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes for the last time while he turned around to leave, waving as he walked away.

 

And Siwon was still at the original position, looking at Kyuhyun's leaving back.

"Even your back...is so worth looking..." Siwon mumbled to himself, adding a little chuckle thinking he must be mad to look at a guy so wholeheartedly.

 

"Oh well, maybe I should change this name..." Siwon touched on the name in his phone's phonebook, and decided to edit the name that Kyuhyun put in...

 

...to 'Beautiful Kyuhyun".

--------------------

Kyuhyun was in a cafe, sitting with a cup of hot chocolate in front of him. He was stirring the spoon absent-mindedly as he was looking out of the windows with his elbow on the table support his head. In his head, images of his encounter with Siwon earlier came in his head, and though he was a little annoyed by Siwon, he actually had a little smile formed on his face, without himself knowing.

But when a middle-aged lady sat opposite him on the same table, the smile vanished instantly, and no expression was found on his face.

 

"Hi Kyuhyun." The lady greeted.

Kyuhyun nodded to her presence, "I got you a black coffee."

"Thank you, Kyun ah..." The lady smiled, but Kyuhyun did not return a smile to her.

 

The waiter served the black coffee to the lady, and awkward silence was next. Kyuhyun had his eyes on his hot chocolate with his hand working on the stirring, while the lady with her eyes on Kyuhyun observing.

Wanting to break the silence, the lady cleared and succeeded making Kyuhyun to look up at her.

 

"Kyun ah... How is...your university life?" She asked.

"...Fine." Kyuhyun replied, in a rather monotone voice.

"That is...good." The lady sipped the coffee, and looked at Kyuhyun again.

 

"You...seems to have lost a little weight." She said.

"...I didn't notice that..." Kyuhyun replied, lowering his gaze down at his chocolate drink.

"Do eat more..."

"...I will."

 

The lady sighed, as she felt the distance between herself and Kyuhyun was rather far though they were seating opposite each other. There was an invisible barrier in between them, that she can't cross over, or rather, Kyuhyun was blocking her from crossing over. It was a true sad case for them...as a pair of...

"Kyun ah..." The lady called out once again.

"Yes?" Kyuhyun replied, raising his head up.

"I...am going back to Canada, in a few days' time." She sounded rather sad in her tone.

"...I know."

"Wouldn't you like to have dinner...with me, and...them for one day, before we leave?" Though sad, she was hopeful, that Kyuhyun will agree to her request.

 

"..."

"I know...you...wouldn't want to..."

"Then why would you ask?" Asked Kyuhyun, from expressionless, to have a slit of pain flashed across his face.

"But...we...I might not be coming back...for a long time..." The lady had the same painful expression as Kyuhyun, equally sad...

"I don't seems to have a problem with that, since you have gone for long before this meet up..." Kyuhyun snapped, "Omma..."

 

"Kyun ah..." Her eyes started to turn watery, "You should know.."

"I know..." Kyuhyun mumbled, "I was not wanted, when you get remarried. And I am not wanted even now. So why should we go through a painful dinner when I am not part of that family in the beginning?"

"Kyun ah... I am sorry to leave you behind... I am sorry... But when your father left... I couldn't..." Kyuhyun's mother started to sob.

"Then maybe I should join him, in heaven... That will solve your problem, isn't it?"

 

"No! STOP THINKING THAT WAY!" She slammed her hands on the table, that surprised Kyuhyun a little which made him jumped. But that doesn't stop him from being hurt by his mother's decision of leaving to get remarried with someone who did not accept Kyuhyun in the first place.

Kyuhyun handed a tissue over to his mother, and rearranged his expression before he spoke again, "If I ever had that thinking, do you think I will still be here talking to you?"

"Don't ever have that thinking... Don't ever scare me like this again..."

 

"I am sorry..."

"Kyun ah..." Kyuhyun's mother reached out to hold Kyuhyun's hands. And he froze with the touch. Its been long...since he had the touch from his mother.

"I know this is hard for you... To live under the roof of others."

Kyuhyun shook his head, "It is not as hard as been left behind... Thanks to the Lees, for unconditionally taking me in to their household and taking care of me. I am happy living with them."

"...I know I can never be more grateful to them. Of giving you things that I can't give..." 

"Glad you know this..."

 

"Kyun ah... Uncle Lau is really sorry for treating you that way... And Henry...has been wanting to see you again." Kyuhyun's mother prompted again, hoping to use Henry to bait Kyuhyun out, as she knew Kyuhyun cares for his half-blood brother.

But no matter how much Kyuhyun cares, he knew deep in his heart, he can never be part of them. And even Uncle Lau really do feel sorry for him, Kyuhyun knew, he will never be wanted in the Lau's family. So, rather to face a happy family to go through the dinner, he would rather stay hidden from them...

And he is more comfortable to the Lees, instead of his own mother.

Irony, but so true...

 

"I wouldn't force you, if you are really uncomfortable about meeting them..." Kyuhyun's mother removed her hands from holding her son's precious hands, "But I don't know when...I can see you again."

Though Kyuhyun was relieved that his mother did not force on him, but he was a little guilty to make her upset with his decision.

"I will be fine with the Lees. And SNS is easy to access nowadays..." But he knew though with SNS, they wouldn't get any closer than what they always have...

 

Kyuhyun's mother wiped the tears from the corner of her eyes, knowing this will be the last time she sees her son, till the next time which she has no idea when... Maybe a year later, or 5 years, or...10, 20 years...

"Take care, my son. You really have to take care, Kyun ah..."

 

"I will, omma..."

--------------------

Siwon was happily whistling and tapping his feet, where he sat on the bench where he and Kyuhyun promised to meet the day before. Though he had sent a text to "Beautiful" Kyuhyun about the meeting time, he decided to reach the venue half an hour earlier. He chuckled at the name he had put in for Kyuhyun, and was in the mood looking forward to see how beautiful Kyuhyun can be for the day.

Just then, a call came. Assuming to be Kyuhyun, Siwon picked up the call and greeted happily, "Hello K..."

"Hey horse, where are you?" A not-so beautiful voice came into his ear. Monkey...

"I have something on. What do you want Hyukjae?" Siwon dropped his enthusiasm almost immediately.

"Going somewhere?"

"Yeah, I am going to Twosome." Siwon answered, while looking at his watch. There is still time to talk...

"For? Which branch of Twosome? Today is not a Saturday.. What business do you have at Twosome?" 

"Whatever it is, I will tell you the next time." Siwon replied, "What do you want exactly from me?"

"Ohhhhh you are getting very sneaky nowadays... Often disappear from us..."

 

"What.Do.You.Want, Monkey?"

"We were just thinking to have dinner together at our usual place, and Jessica noticed you went missing right after the lecture. So she made me call you to check if you want to join us."

"Then sorry you made a wasted call. Like I said, I am going to Twosome later. You guys can go ahead without me." Siwon started to look left and right for Kyuhyun.

"You are really getting weird recently. Probably another poor girl is falling into your trap again."

"...Seriously nothing can be good coming from your mouth."

"Whatever! Haha! Then I will see you tomorrow!"

"Yeah bye." Siwon hanged up the call, just about time when Kyuhyun appeared behind him.

 

"Hi." Kyuhyun greeted which made Siwon jumped at the voice, "...Am I that scary?"

"Woah! You surprised me there!" Siwon stood up and turned himself to face the person he was waiting for.

"Erm, I am sorry then?" Kyuhyun walked to stand next to Siwon, "So shall we go?"

"Yeah sure. My car is over there." Siwon pointed to a direction and grinned.

 

At the carpark, Kyuhyun was shocked, for a university student to own an Audi. Audi convertible furthermore. This guy must be filthy rich...

"An Audi...?" Kyuhyun climbed in the 2-door car at the passenger's seat, while Siwon moved in swiftly at the driver's seat.

"Audi Cabriolet to be exact." Siwon said proudly, as he the motor, "My favourite car at the moment."

"You have more than a car?" Kyuhyun was even astonished, just how rich this guy can be...

"Erm, family cars to be exact. But this is a gift to me, so by right, I only own one car." Siwon threw his jacket to the back of the car, and started to drive out the carpark.

 

"I didn't expect that, you can be this rich..." Kyuhyun mumbled. He never make friends with rich people, so he had no idea how to be normal around them. In fact, the only friends he has all these while before he met Siwon, are the Lee's brothers.

"But...I don't think me being rich will be a hinder of me to be your friend. Anyway, I might not be as rich as you imagined. I am just a normal person who has no much difference from others. So please don't feel pressure with me." Siwon looked at Kyuhyun while the car was in the queue to exit the carpark, "Some of my friends are not from rich family too. Take that Hyukjae for an example, the one whom you met at calculus class? He is my best friend, but he is from a normal family. Just like anyone, just like you." He sincerely hoped that Kyuhyun would not mind being friends though they are of different family backgrounds.

Kyuhyun let out a dry laugh, thinking of how complicated his family background can. No...does he even have a family? Yes, the Lees took care of him for years, and he is grateful every single day. But...he is not a Lee afterall, isn't it... And he is not part of the Lau too...

He is the only Cho...only Cho in his life...

 

"Kyuhyun?" Siwon called out, when he noticed Kyuhyun had dazed off from their conversation, "Are you alright?"

"Huh? Yeah... I am fine." Kyuhyun assured, "So, where is the place you are taking me?"

 

Little that they know, they were actually being monitored by a group of people standing by the sideway of the carpark.

"Isn't that Siwon's Cabriolet?" Someone pointed out, as they were walking towards the carpark.

"Oh yes... But why is he driving that car today? And not the usual family car?" Hyukjae questioned.

"What did you and him talked about earlier on the phone?" Another one asked.

"Well, he did say he got something on today." Hyukjae replied.

"And there is someone inside his car. A girl?"

"Can't see clearly, maybe its a girl who he is targeting at now. Haha!" Hyukjae laughed, "Hey come on, lets go! Why are we discussing about that rich horse in front of the carpark?!"

 

While the rest was laughing at Hyukjae's joke, a specific girl was not looking happy, totally. She frowned, knitting her nicely trimmed brows together, thinking of what Hyukjae had said.

This is not what she expected...of Siwon going after a girl, the moment a new term had started.

This is not how she planned...

 

"Jessica! What are you waiting for?" Someone called for her attention. As quickly as possible, she reformed her expression and threw an ever sweetly smile at her friends.

"Coming!"

--------------------

After ten minutes or so, Siwon stopped his car in front of a cafe that says "Twosome +C4". Kyuhyun stepped out of the car and looked around at the environment. It was at one secluded area which was located at Myeongdong, one of the busiest place in Seoul. Though it was slightly away from the main area of the noisy Myeongdong, people can be seen walking in and out of the cafe. Is this the place that Siwon wanted to introduce the part time to him?

Twosome +C... That is one of the popular cafe name around Seoul, and +C4 means this Twosome is the 4th shop in Seoul. What connection does Siwon has with Twosome +C?

"Come on in." Siwon smiled, as he opened the door for Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun stepped in the cafe, and immediately he could smell the strong aroma surrounding the cafe. Though he is not a fan of coffee, but no doubt, the smell was indeed alluring...

 

"Siwon? What are you doing here? Today isn't Saturday, right? Or was I too busy that I forgot about the days...?" A rather well-built barista spoke from the counter, when he saw Siwon walking in with an unfamiliar face.

"Haha, nope today is not Saturday and you are right about the days, Kangin." Siwon chuckled.

"And then...?" Kangin asked, arching his eyebrows looking suspiciously at Siwon.

"I got an applicant for a part time job here. Wasn't you who was telling me, that you are short of manpower here?"

"Yeah. And so, the person you got us, is this guy over there?" Kangin pointed at Kyuhyun, who was busy looking around the decoration of the shop.

"Yup." Siwon pulled Kyuhyun for his attention, "This is Cho Kyuhyun, a junior from my university."

 

Kyuhyun was startled by the pull, but he bowed and greeted Kangin, "Nice to meet you. I am Cho Kyuhyun."

"Erm... Yeah nice to meet you. I am the floor manager here. Kim Youngwoon, or you can call me Kangin." Kangin smiled, he likes Kyuhyun for his manner already.

 

"So, you want a part time job? Here is suitable for you, especially for a university student. I don't require you to work everyday, just 2 to 3 nights on the weekdays, and both weekends on shift mode." Kangin was out from the counter, to describe more about the job to Kyuhyun.

"So what do I have to do here? I can't brew coffee..." Kyuhyun looked at Siwon helplessly.

"You can do simple chores like taking down orders, cleaning up, and in the meanwhile to learn how to make coffee." Kangin smiled explaining.

"And you will have no problems with calculation on the orders." Siwon added.

"Oh, a mathematic student huh?" Kangin assumed. Siwon nodded, "A strong one in fact. He beats me in tic tac toe, breaking my all-time winning record."

"Haha, please Siwon, this is not something you can boast around all the tme." Kangin teased.

"Hey, that is very rude of you!" Siwon sulked, but soon he was laughing with Kangin on the jokes.

 

Kyuhyun was still confused at the situation, looking lost at their conversation, "So, am I in for the job?"

"Well, ask the boss." Kangin pointed at Siwon, before Siwon could stop him.

"Boss?" This got Kyuhyun even more confused.

"He is the owner of Twosome +C." Kangin explained.

"Owner?!" Kyuhyun looked at Siwon with the best shocking expression he could give.

 

"To be exact... Twosome +C...is my family business... I am not really the owner...but this particular Twosome +C4...is under my name. So technically, yeah I am...the owner here." Siwon scratched the back of his head, knowing that he had surprised Kyuhyun big time.

"So...you are saying, you are the son of the listed Twosome +C company group?" Now he understood, finally, on how Siwon managed to own a car...

"Yeah, he is. Twosome +C, that C equals to Choi." Kangin explained on behalf of Siwon.

 

...Did I just made...a friend who is not as simple as he claimed to be?