The Friendships

Bound to Love, Bound to You

A week after the school orientation, SUJU University officially opened for a new school term. Fanciful cars appeared in the school compound, and people of stylish outfits stepped out of the car, trying to impress on their first day. Greetings were exchanged around the campus, laughters can be heard, from the open lobby of the entrance to the corridors of the classes.

Kyuhyun arrived, in his usual dull outfits, nothing too fanciful on the first day. With a sling bag across his torso, and a map given by Donghae on his hand, showing the venues of the different buildings. Donghae was behind him, talking on his cell phone.

 

"Yes. I know. I will take care of him. Hyung, you don't have to worry too much, yeah? He will be fine..." Donghae assured over the phone, "And don't you think you are a little too much? Caring over Kyun more than me. I am your blood-related dongsaeng..."

Kyuhyun stopped and turned around, montioned Donghae to pass him the phone.

 

"Sungmin hyung." Kyuhyun spoke when he received the phone, "Aren't you late for work?"

Kyuhyun nodded, as Donghae could hear the screams from the phone.

And the phone went dead the next moment.

 

"There. Problem solved." Kyuhyun said, passing the phone back to Donghae. 

"Wow. Only you have a way to hyung." Donghae raised his thumb and shoved it in front of Kyuhyun.

"Quit the praise and show me where is my building supposed to be?" Kyuhyun slapped Donghae's hand away and resumed back to his map reading.

"You are Mathematics expert, yet, you can't read a simple map?!" Donghae chuckled.

"That is a job of a geographer, not a mathematician." Kyuhyun stated matter-of-fact.

"Yeah yeah I can never win the smart mouth." Donghae shrugged, "So, the noble mathematician-going-to-be, shall we meet for lunch later? When is your free time?"

"My building...hyung..."

 

Entering a lecture theatre for his first lesson of the day, knowing that he is not a person who wants attention, Kyuhyun settled himself somewhere middle yet near the aisle at the corner of the elevated seats.

Flipping through his book and lecture notes for the module, a group of people appeared in the theatre, talking and laughing as they walked in. Among them, was the handsome senior that Kyuhyun befriended with at the orientation.

Choi Siwon.

 

Kyuhyun arched his eyebrows, Isn't he under Business Management? What business did he has here, the module for calculus study? 

Siwon took the seat right in the middle of the entire seats, with his friends surrounding him. Too immersed in his conversation with his friends, he did not notice Kyuhyun behind him.

 

Whatever... Kyuhyun thought, and resumed his attention on the notes that he was reading earlier.

 

Minutes into the read, Kyuhyun found that something or someone had casted a shadow on his lecture notes. He paused on his read, and looked up, only to find a smiling handsome face.

"Hey. We meet again." Siwon beamed.

"Hi." Kyuhyun replied, and back at his notes.

Siwon sat down one seat in front of him, "I didn't know I will meet you here."

"Neither do I." Kyuhyun flipped on the next page, while he continued to speak, "I thought you are a senior, and is in Business Management."

"Oh yes, I am. But to the meet the aggregate score to graduate, the seniors have to attend elective modules. So I choose Calculus Study for this term." Siwon explained, "And seems like it is a great start for me."

Kyuhyun looked up again at Siwon, "And how is this a great start?"

"Because you are a mathematics expert, so you can help me in this module." Siwon grinned.

 

"... Did I even said I will help you? You have a group of friends, if you noticed." Kyuhyun pointed out.

"And you will notice, they are not as smart as you."

 

"Who is not as smart as him? How dare you badmouth us!" Another senior came to sit in front of Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun sighed. So much so of the unwanted attention.

"Hyuk, this is Kyuhyun. My new friend I made at the orientation." Siwon introduced.

"Oh hey. So you are the one who broke the record of breaking Siwon's all-win on tic tac toe!" The person flashed his gummy smile which Kyuhyun finds his teeth were way too bright, "I am Lee Hyukjae."

"Yeah I recognised your voice, the DJ who commerced the whole orientation." Kyuhyun responded.

"Haha! You are smart! I like you!" Hyukjae laughed.

"And he knows Donghae." Said Siwon.

"Oh!! That makes us even closer huh? Haha! Me and Donghae are the best buddies from the dance club." Hyukjae exclaimed excitedly, "Everyone call us, the dancing duo!"

 

Having a little chat, the lecturer for the module walked in. Hyukjae scrambled back to his original seat, while Siwon remained at the same spot.

"You should go back to your friends." Kyuhyun whispered.

"But... You are alone." Siwon replied, in a whisper as well.

"I am...used to being alone." Kyuhyun answered, with a flick of sadness flashed across his mind.

Siwon caught the tone that Kyuhyun used, but before he could make any remark, the lecturer started with his lecture.

 

Kyuhyun felt a little remorse for his words when Siwon got up and returned to his group of friends, but was surprised to see Siwon walked back to him, and planted himself next to Kyuhyun.

"What...?" Kyuhyun mouthed.

Siwon raised his hand to get the attention from the lecturer, "Sir, we should have a study buddy in this module. Since some of us here are not mathematics students, so I suggest that, for all of us to find a study buddy. It can help those who are not students of Mathematics Study, and also we can help each other out of the class. Don't you agree?" And he winked at Kyuhyun after he made the request.

Hyukjae turned back and gave a thumb up to Siwon, because he was one hopeless person in Mathematics as well.

The lecturer pushed his spectacles and thought for a second before he nodded his head, "Very well. It seems like a good idea to me. So, please everyone, get yourself a study buddy in this room. We will start the lecture in another 5 minutes time."

 

Kyuhyun had his jaws dropped, astonished at Siwon's skill in talking through to get his way.

"So now, you are my study buddy for Calculus Study. Hi." Siwon grinned, "And you are not alone anymore, in this module."

"You are definitely one outrageous species." Kyuhyun uttered.

Siwon laughed, "Haha to be honest, sometimes, I do feel that I can be a great talker, a person who can change a world..."

Kyuhyun shook his head and turned his attention back at his notes, but a smile was formed on his face...unknowingly from Siwon.

 

Maybe...it is not that bad...afterall...

 

Throughout the 2 hours of lecture, Kyuhyun was concentrating hard and jotting down notes neatly, making sure he did not miss out any important points told by the lecturer. Whereas for Siwon, he did try...but most of the times, he was glancing at Kyuhyun. Impressed by the seriousness Kyuhyun had for his studies, and...stunned at how beautiful Kyuhyun looked...when he was working hard.

Yes. Siwon still find Kyuhyun is a real beauty... Beautiful like a girl, with milky smooth skin on the surface, and those features that were screaming "I AM A GIRL" literally at Siwon.

 

Sensing the eyes locked at him a few times during the lecture, at the end of the lecture, Kyuhyun turned to face Siwon, who was indeed looking at Kyuhyun. Siwon froze as he was catch red-handed for observing Kyuhyun.

"Do I seems like I have the notes on my face?" Kyuhyun asked.

"Ermmm..." Siwon scratched the back of his head as he was trying to find a proper explanation, "I...was just trying to study...you."

Kyuhyun was startled with the answer, but he cleared his throat to ease the awkwardness, "You are in Calculus study... Not Cho Kyuhyun study, if you noticed."

"Haha I know... But you are far more interesting than those calculus formulas... Like...how can a guy, to have such...milky skin? Did you soak yourself in milk everyday?" Siwon asked innocently, but Kyuhyun's ears turned red at how this new friend praised for his skin.

 

"You do still think I look like a girl, don't you?" Kyuhyun muttered softly, partly due to the shyness taking over his snarky personality.

"Well, you can't blame me. I have not seen a pretty boy like you before. So I am curious." Siwon grinned.

"...I really do appreciate, if you say that I am handsome..."

 

Packing up to leave the lecture theatre, Kyuhyun noticed that Siwon did not jot down any notes from the lecture.

"How are you going to study?" Kyuhyun asked, curiously.

"I have you. You can loan me the notes, isn't it? Isn't this is what a study buddy should do?" Siwon beamed, "And... Would you want to join me for lunch?"

Putting his last material into his bag, Kyuhyun shook his head, "Sorry study buddy, I have a lunch date. So I will see you around."

"Lunch date? With who? Hey!" But Kyuhyun was already walking out of the room, before Siwon could catch up with him.

He wanted to talk to this new friend...more...

 

But he was stopped by his friends, asking among themselves where should they go before the next module starts. However, deep in his mind, Siwon was thinking of Kyuhyun while his friends were babbling in front of him. The way he concentrates in lecture, the glowing milky skin, the slender fingers that took down the notes gracefully...everything... Everything about Kyuhyun, was marked within his eyes, in his heart and in his mind.

 

Why am I so interested in you, Cho Kyuhyun?

---------------------

After lunch, Siwon stepped in the lecture room, for another module of the day. A module for his business management. He was greeted by his friends of the same course, but his mind was not focused on their conversation as he was feeling a little disappointed, unable to track Kyuhyun down on his lunch date.

 

"Hey Siwon." Yunho slapped on Siwon's back when he settled next to Siwon, "How is your elective module?"

Siwon woke up from his daze with the slap, "Oh... Fun... Never be better..."

Yunho narrowed his eyes into a straight line, "Fun? But...you never like Mathematics... And you seems reluctant to go for the module."

"Yeah, I know. I have no choice but to go for it... But... It was really fun." Siwon smiled sheepishly, thinking of what he had been doing in the module.

"You are weird, something happened? Met a pretty girl?" Yunho teased.

 

Siwon went back to daydream about...

More like...a pretty boy... A beautiful boy...

 

"There is a pretty girl in your calculus class?" Jessica appeared out of nowhere.

"Why? Are you jealous? Want to know more about your love rival?" Yunho answered instead.

Jessica rolled her eyes and ignored Yunho, "New target?"

"Why are the two of you making me like a typical playboy?" Siwon pouted, "I am very devoted in every relationships, mind you."

"Yeah, but, your past relationships can't lasted more than 3 months." Yuno stated.

"Well, same for Jessica, isn't it?" Siwon tried to divert the attention to Jessica.

"It is because she never put in effort for the relationships, as she ALREADY has someone in her heart that she wants ALL ALONG." Yunho wriggled his eyebrows at Jessica who was glaring at Yunho with her stares.

"Please," Jessica rolled her eyes again and flicked her long silky hair, "As if you know me very well..."

"Well... Being your cousin for almost my entire life, I can say, I do know you very well." Yunho mumbled.

 

Siwon held his hand up to stop the bickering, "Anyway, I did not meet any pretty girl in calculus class..."

And Yunho could see a small tweak moving up slightly at the corner of Jessica's lips.

"But, I met a rather interesting person, that I wanted to know more about." Siwon smiled, ever so sweetly thinking of Kyuhyun in his head.

Jessica was bewildered, to see Siwon smiling so sweetly. She had never...seen this side of Siwon before... Even when he was with his past girlfriends, he never smiled in this way, ever...

 

"A girl?" Yunho asked curiously. 

"...Do I look like I am a girl hunter?" Siwon frowned, "No... The new friend is a guy. The one I met at the orientation."

"Ohhhh...." Yunho remembered, so did Jessica.

The pretty-looking freshman with the fluffy brownish hair...

 

"What's so interesting about him?" Yunho asked again.

"Well... I don't know... I just find him...very special... And...he got the mystery magnet, that lure me wanting to know more about him." Siwon stated straight that came in his mind.

Yunho and Jessica eyed at each other, this is truly the first time, that Siwon behaved this way. He never get so curious over a friend, a male friend furthermore.

 

Especially Jessica, who felt rather uneasy with this new friend that Siwon just got to know. Very very...uneasy...

 

Their conversation was interrupted by the forever noisy Hyukjae, who appeared to in with his latest gossip of the campus.

"Zhoumi and Song Qian are living together at the moment! Heard that after their graduation, they intend to return to their hometown to get married!"

--------------------

Kyuhyun was in his bedroom, flipping through and arranging the notes he had made for the modules that he attended on the first day. He had a fruitful day, learning a lot through the modules on something that he likes. He enjoyed it, very much.

When he flipped the notes that he made during the calculus class, his mind drifted to the image of Siwon sitting next to him, glancing at him numerous times. And the things that he said...

 

"...But you are far more interesting than those calculus formulas... Like...how can a guy, to have such...milky skin? Did you soak yourself in milk everyday?"

"...I have not seen a pretty boy like you before. So I am curious."

 

"...He is such a weirdo..." Kyuhyun mumbled to himself, but a smile was formed on his face, thinking back at how Siwon praised him, without blinking his eyelids at all.

So...those were not lies...for sure.

......

 

"Why am I feeling happy for a guy to praise a guy as beautiful?! You are getting weird too, Cho Kyuhyun..." Kyuhyun sulked.

"Who is getting weird?" A voice appeared from behind, which caused Kyuhyun to jump a little from his chair.

Kyuhyun turned around to the familiar voice, and smiled at the already smiling face standing by the door with his arms folded across his chest.

"Sungmin hyung."

 

Sungmin walked in the room, and stood behind Kyuhyun, looking over at the notes spread all over the desk, "Working so hard on your first day?"

"Of course. How can I be ungrateful to what ahjussi and ahjumma had done for me..."

Sungmin beamed, and ruffled Kyuhyun's hair affectionately, "Yah, our Kyuhyun is so hardworking."

"Not too late for you to notice this." Kyuhyun smiled, feeling comfortable with Sungmin's hand on his hair, "So you shouldn't worry much anymore. Because of me, you were almost late for work, isn't it?"

"Yes, I got it. I am sorry for being so immature."

"Good boy."

 

Sungmin clapped his hands, as if remembering something important, "Oh, you made me forgot the reason I am here. Mother wanted you down for dinner. Lets go." 

Kyuhyun nodded, and followed Sungmin out of his room.

"Yah, kid. Since when you are taller than me?!" Sungmin pouted.

"Yah hyung. Since when you learn to do aegyo?" Kyuhyun teased.

"Yah! How dare you tease your hyung!" Sungmin pouted further, while Kyuhyun was running down of the stairs to escape from Sungmin.

 

Kyuhyun settled down at the dining table, while Donghae was helping in laying out the dishes, "Seems like you are having fun with hyung."

"More like teasing me." Sungmin appeared next to Kyuhyun, and pinched slightly at the chubby cheek.

"Yah kids, settle down will you?" A middle-aged woman came out of the kitchen with the plates and bowls.

The trio chuckled, and within a minute, all were ready for dinner.

 

"Where is father?" Sungmin asked, while he was chewing on his food.

"He will be late. Called in earlier not to wait for him." The mother of the house replied, "How is your day, Kyuhyun?"

Kyuhyun raised his head from his plate, "Fine, ahjumma. I am starting to like university."

Mrs Lee smiled, as she was pleased to see Kyuhyun growing up well and fine, under her care. Unbelievable that, he is growing up so well to attend university.

 

"Ahjumma," Kyuhyun suddenly called out, "Once I am more stable with school, can I...look for a part time job?"

All eyes around the dining table turned to stare at him, "Why?" All three mouths opened and asked at the same time. Kyuhyun was rather surprised to see such harmony among them. Indeed...a real family.

"Just...thinking that... I shouldn't be eating and staying here...for free and not doing anything to contribute to the house." Kyuhyun though nervous, but he would want to voice out, the things that had been inside him for years, "And since I am of age, capable of doing some part time work, so I would like to earn my own money. I can't be eating on you forever, ahjumma..."

"But Kyuhyun..." Mrs Lee wanted to stop him from saying more, but Kyuhyun beat her to that.

"Ahjumma. I appreciate what you have done for me. But, I am never a Lee... This is a truth. And I have taken a lot from you. Even providing the necessary to send me to university..."

"You don't have to feel bad. I have already treat you like my own son. Though I have 2 of my own..." Mrs Lee sighed, "Fine... If that makes you feel better, you can look for a part time job. But, promise you wouldn't skip school just to earn money ok? You are a smart boy, probably smarter than these 2..." Mrs Lee pointed out at Donghae and Sungmin, who totally agreed with their mother, "So I hope, you will continue to do well in school. Deal?"

Kyuhyun nodded, "Deal." 

"Ok, lets stop this heavy topic and continue with our dinner!" Donghae broke the serious atmosphere, not wanting to spoil a good dinner with such heavy tone, "Let me share with you a gossip that I heard in school earlier!"

"You sounds like a teenager now!" Sungmin teased.

 

Kyuhyun looked at the happy image in front of him. And he was once again, truly grateful, to what this family has done for him. If not for this family, the friends Donghae and Sungmin that he befriended when he was young, he can never witness and be part of this heartwarming household.

And...he can never attend university, to know more interesting stuffs and people.

 

Friends, indeed, seems to be not so bad in his life.