Chapter twenty-four

Madame
Please log in to read the full chapter


I promise, no more long breaks between chapters lol. I feel awful for doing this but I will get a grip and focus more on writing now that I've managed to get everything stable in school. Thank you for being patient and awesome as always. I love you guys!

Ps. Constructive criticism is always welcome!

 

 

I woke up alone in the bedroom. I squinted my eyes at the sun peeking through the curtains. I got out and headed to the bathroom first. As I went lower on the stairs, I wondered where Tiffany had gone. Judging from the dead silence, I was the only one awake, apart from Tiffany of course. I flattened down my bed hair a little on the way, feeling the soft grumbles in my tummy.

I spotted a figure sitting on the porch. I slid open the glass door and Tiffany turned around. She smiled at me.

''Good morning.''

''Morning. What are you doing here?''

She showed me her mug. ''Drinking coffee. And waiting for you to wake up actually.''

I leaned against the doorframe. ''Oh. You should have woken me up.''

''I did and I recall that someone just swatted my hand off their shoulder while mumbling something.''

''Really? I'm sorry.''

She laughed and stood up. ''No worries. Come on, let's go eat something.''

I went to wake Yuri and Jessica up so that we could go have some breakfast at the small seafood restaurant not too far from our cabin.

I knocked on the door before slowly entering and saw Yuri stretching her legs on the floor while Jessica still slept soundly.

''Good morning,'' I said. ''Wake her up. We're going to the restaurant we saw on our way here.''

Yuri nodded. She got up, cracking a few joints. ''The one that serves seafood?''

''Yeah.''

Yuri reached over the bed and pulled the covers off of Jessica in one swift move.

''AHH!'' A shrill scream echoed in the room. Jessica curled up into a ball and wrapped her arms around herself. I giggled and decided to jump in the bed.

''Wake up!''

''Go away!''

I bounced on the bed while Yuri just chuckled.

''Come on! We're hungry. Let's go have some food.''

Jessica sulked and turned around to give me an angry glare. ''I hate you. You shouldn't have pulled the covers off. It's cold!''

I smiled at her. ''That was Yul.''

I looked behind and saw Yuri scurrying out of the room.

''You're dead!'' Jessica shrieked, throwing a pillow after her.

''Come on,'' I patted her arm. ''Get ready.''

She pulled me on top of her and hugged me tight. ''I'm cold!''

I laughed. ''Tiffany is going to kill you when she sees us like this.''

''I can hug my best friend, can I?''

''You can but…'' I rolled off of her, ''not like this.''

I reached for the covers and pulled them over her.

''Get ready! I'll get out now so you can have some privacy.'' I walked out and closed the door after me.

Maybe thirty some minutes later Jessica came down fully dressed and ready to go.

''Wow, you sure took your time.''

''I had trouble finding the right clothes.''

I smacked the couch cushion and sat up. ''Alright let's go before we starve to death.''

Tiffany skipped while flinging her bag back and forth. I watched her with a goofy smile. It was nice to go somewhere like this with the people I cared about the most. Tiffany had permanently become a part of our little posse and I was glad she was interacting with both Yuri and Jessica like she had always known them.

Yuri joined her and they both skipped while singing a random tune.

''Food!''

I cocked my eyebrow at Jessica and she could only shake her head. ''I'm afraid she has infected your lover with that kkab disease.''

Tiffany skipped a circle around me while we walked and sang a random song, making me laugh.

Suddenly she jumped on my back and my eyes bulged out while my knees wobbled, trying to hold her weight without crashing right down to the ground.

''Forward, girl!''

I held onto Tiffany's thighs and picked up my pace. ''I'm dropping you off after that lamp post.''

''Awww,'' she haphazardly moved her hand on my face, trying to poke my cheek but ended up nearly poking me in the eye. ''You're no fun.''

''I'm hungry! And you're not exactly light like my baby sister.''

I dropped her like I said I would and she pouted. I curled my arm around hers and pulled her forward. ''I'll make it up later.''

''Promise?'' she asked as she finally began walking with me.

I nodded.

''Okay.'' Tiffany looked pleased.

We caught up with the other two and entered the restaurant. We got a table and I was borderline drooling while looking through the menu.

''Damn...the lobster sounds good,'' I mumbled.

''Should we get it?''

Tiffany nodded at Jessica. ''I'll pay for it.''

I looked at her hesitantly. ''You don't have to. We always split, right guys?''

Yuri forced a smile and nodded. ''Y-yes. That's right. I'll pay. I always pay for my share. That's a bit expensive but I'll pay.''

I rolled my eyes. ''Shut up. If we all split, you don't even have to pay that much.''

Tiffany put a hand on mine and looked at me. ''I got it.''

''If Tiff wants to pay then let her pay!'' Jessica exclaimed, closing the menu book.

''That's right. Now shut up and let's order before my stomach caves in from hunger.''

I cleared my throat and deflated.

Damn you Tiffany. You've got me so whipped.

''Besides,'' Tiffany handed her menu to the waitress who then left with our orders. ''I want to pay in order to show my appreciation for you all.''

''Hey Tiff, you're one of us now!''

She grinned and I sighed in defeat. ''Whatever floats your boat, I guess.''

I felt a kick on my shin and I glared both at the two girls across the table. I knew it was Jessica from the way she was looking at me.

I gave up and decided to strike up a conversation.

After the hearty breakfast slash lunch, we walked back to the cabin. My best friends decided to give Tiffany and I some privacy and raced back together ahead of us.

Tiffany nudged my shoulder. I looked at her.

''Are you mad at me?''

''What? No, why would I be?'' I asked in confusion. She smiled a little.

''Because I paid for the food.''

She continued to nudge my shoulder when I rolled my eyes. ''Oh, come on. I'm not mad about that. I'm not mad about anything.''

''I just felt like I should pay. I don't know if you saw but Yuri really seemed relieved that she didn't have to pay. It was pretty expensive.''

''Of course she was relieved. We're poor college students.''

She laughed. ''You too? I guess I have to spend money on you often then.''

I shook my head rapidly. ''No! You don't have to.''

Tiffany just smiled and kept walking beside me. Somehow I knew she wouldn't listen to me.


 

I followed Tiffany in the souvenir shop, browsing the items less enthustiastically than she did. She was all over silly glasses, tiny ornaments and anything I would call unnecessary. She pulled my arm and I turned my focus back to her.

''Look,'' she grinned and showed me a candle shaped like a cat.

''Are you going to buy it?''

''I don't know,'' she examined it, tilting her head side to side.

I stifled a groan and turned around to look for my best friends. I felt another pull on my arm.

''You're bored again.''

I feigned innocence and gave her the best puppy eyes I could pull off.

''Oh stop that,'' Tiffany rolled her eyes. ''I know you well enough to notice when you get bored.''

''I'm sorry!'' I sighed. ''I just want to go to the beach already.''

''And I just wanted to get some souvenirs from this trip. It's the first trip we've had together.''

She continued to browse and I followed. I looked around and touched her arm when I saw something pretty on the wooden wall.

''That painting is pretty though,'' I pointed. ''Let's get that.''

She pursed her lips, looking at the painting. ''I want to get something for both of us.''

''You can get that one for yourself and I'll get something to place in my apartment.''

''That's a good idea.''

''Since I found that for you, you can find something for me. It's only fair.''

She smiled. ''I agree.''


 

Even though I was having my summer break, Tiffany still had to go to work. I had given her a copy of my apartment key so she could come over anytime. I trusted her enough and she said she would give me a key too, but lately she seemed to be more and more reluctant to do so. She never said anything, but her forgetting everytime was a clear sign. I didn't think of it as suspicious but after a while, I began to question if she really wanted to give me that key.

I stared boringly at the statue of two cats with enlongated necks and their tails curled up into a shape of a heart. Tiffany insisted on getting that for me, and I gave in as easily as she expected me to.

It was silly for me to start questioning everything at this point but my poor brain would not give me a break. I had drawn my conclusions; Tiffany was a private person. She had a rough past and expected us to take things very slow, which I had agreed on. Maybe being with me was too different for her. As it was new for me as well, I was okay with the snail pace.

There were times I just wanted to scream I loved her, because I was pretty certain what I felt towards her was love. At the same time I was too scared – what her reaction would be, had she even gotten where I was right now?

A ring to my doorbell snatched me out of my thoughts. I figured I moved too slowly because soon I heard a key turning the lock and Tiffany opening the door.

''Oh,'' she looked startled. ''I didn't know you were here.''

''I guess I took too long,'' I laughed.

''Such a lazy bum.''

She kicked her shoes off and dropped her bag on the floor. She gestured me to come closer and I did. She kissed my forehead and began moving us towards the kitchen.

''I miss you.''

I looked up at her and she pulled me in closer and closer until her arms went completely around my waist. I pressed my cheek against her shoulder and allowed myself to bask in her soft touches, the on my back and playful pokes along my spine.

''You okay?''

I nodded. ''So, did you bring me a key this time?''

The movements stopped and I held back a sigh. I already knew the answer. I hung my head in a dramatic manner.

''I didn't...I'm sorry. I totally forgot.''

I pulled away and she gave me an apologetic look. I stifled the urge to nag about the stupid key at this point but decided to just push it all the way to the back of my mind so I could spend some time with her.

''Taeyeon-''

''How was work?'' I interrupted. I took out a carton of orange juice and a glass from the rack.

Please log in to read the full chapter