Chapter twenty-one

Madame
Please log in to read the full chapter

I was gonna put this one into 2 chapters but I decided to make it super lengthy in return of being absent for a while again. I hope you guys enjoy this one <3 ^^

 

 

I was amazed at how different Tiffany's bed is from mine. It was much more softer and comfortable. It was the second time in the week I stayed over at her place. Only this time it wasn't that awkward anymore. I had watched her again, the way her hair camouflaged with the black pillow case. Her expression calm and restful. I took my eyes off of her and heaved a silent sigh.

I would never get used to this. Nor would I ever take Tiffany for granted or the little things like waking up next to her.

My phone began vibrating loudly on the nightstand and I quickly picked it up so Tiffany wouldn't wake up.

''Hello?'' I sat up and checked that she was still asleep.

''Hey Taeng! Open the door.''

I recognized the cheerful voice. ''What? I-I'm not home right now,'' I whispered.

Yuri chuckled on the other line.

''Hmm, let me guess, you're at Tiffany's place again?''

''Yeah,'' I replied guiltily, pinching the bridge of my nose. ''Are you really behind my door?''

''Was. Walking back down now,'' she answered.

.

''I'm sorry Yul. Let's do something tomorrow.''

''Okay. Dinner?''

''Just us two?''

''I guess. Sica's with her sister this week.''

''I'm really sorry.''

I had been neglecting my friends and I felt like I was getting too comfortable by being only around Tiffany. I gulped at the feel of guilt taking over. I had been unfair and selfish but I would be lying if I hadn't enjoyed every second I spent together with Tiffany. It was easy for me to forget about everything else when I was with her. I'm a horrible friend.

''Taeyeon?'' Tiffany mumbled from behind me.

I looked at her and bit my lip. ''Okay Yul, I gotta go. I'm sorry you had to go all the way to my apartment. I'll pay for the meal.''

''I'll take that. Go mingle with your american chick, bye!''

I smiled and rolled my eyes. ''Bye.''

I hung up and put my phone back on the nightstand. I laid back down and Tiffany engulfed me in her arms.

''Did I wake you?''

She nodded tiredly. ''Who was it?''

''Yuri.'' Tiffany yawned and I smiled. ''Sorry for waking you up.''

''I think it's time I get up anyway. Sleeping together with you makes me want to sleep more,'' she grunted as she pushed herself up to sit.

''That's not necessarily a bad thing,'' I sat up as well.

''It's not. But we should really get up and eat something.''

I let myself fall back down and took a deep breath. Tiffany came in my view with a smile on her face. She was right, I would have chosen to stay in bed with her all day.

''Do you ever think about how we turned out to be?'' she asked. She leaned down even closer and trapped me between her two hands on both sides of my head.

''Sometimes.''

''Isn't it kind of amazing?'' she remarked. ''I never expected this but right now I'm kind of glad you were obsessed with that doll.''

My face burned and I glared at her.

''Obsessed is a strong word. I'd say interested.'' I stated.

She laughed. ''Uh huh. Either way, it brought us together. If Yuri hadn't confronted me at the store, I wouldn't have ever talked to you again. I wouldn't have met an amazing person that is you.'' She poked my nose gently.

''I'm glad too. You're so good to me, I really wonder what do you see in me. I mean, I'm just a college student.''

''Yes, you're just a college student. So what? Does that change anything? I don't think so.''

''And...our ?''

She smiled when I said that. Then she shook her head. ''Nope.''

''Really?'' I asked. ''Your age doesn't matter to me. But you could think I'm naïve or less matured than you are. I mean, you have been through things and those are way ahead of me. I have no idea of the struggles that you've experienced.''

I tried to say all of that carefully so she wouldn't take it the wrong way. I didn't want her to take it the wrong way because despite the differences we still had a good thing going on.

''That's true.'' she nodded thoughtfully. ''But your struggles may vary. You won't necessarily get to deal with anything that I have. Maybe you will, maybe it will be even worse for you. But that's the thing, we don't know what's going to happen. And honestly I'm not even worried.''

''Sorry,'' I placed my hand on her arm and slid it up to her shoulder and down to her back. Tiffany kept smiling softly and leaned down to kiss me. I gladly returned the kiss and the smile after she pulled away.

''Don't be. We may be different in some aspects but this connection we have makes up for it. I'm not worried at all.''

''Thanks.''

''I like the pace we have right now. We don't have to hurry it. Just go with the flow,'' Tiffany said. I nodded and grinned.

''Just go with the flow.'' I repeated after her.

She kissed me one more time and crawled over me to get out of the bed. I grimaced in pain while she giggled.

''Did you really have to puncture my freaking ribcage with your knees?'' I rubbed my sides gently.

''I'll make you pancakes. How's that?'' she went to her closet and pulled out a pair of sweats. She began taking off her pajamas and I shyly looked away.

''You win,'' I admitted my defeat quietly. She turned around and smirked.

''Come on babe,'' she came to slap my leg before walking out of the room. ''Get dressed and come help me out!''

I broke into a grin and sighed happily.


 

I watched the waitress serve our food on the table, glancing up at my hungry best friend practically drooling at the sight. We thanked her and Yuri dug in the food instantly.

''Sooyoung is graduating in summer,'' she mentioned. I looked up and raised my brows.

''Really?''

Yuri nodded.

''She swore to finish everything by this summer. She told me she's making plans to move to Japan.''

''Wow. That's a huge step for her.''

''Oh yeah, I didn't tell you but she's fluent in japanese too. She might get a job there or something.'' Yuri gave a small shrug.

Japan, huh?

''Well, that's good for her. She's smart and hard working so I think she can get anywhere she wants.''

''True.'' Yuri agreed. She gave me an expecting look. ''So...Tiffany.''

''What about her?''

''You guys still going strong?''

I gave small laugh. ''I guess. It's great now.''

''Did you talk about making things official?''

I shook my head. ''We didn't need to. We sort of indirectly discussed the topic and agreed that the pace we're going right now is perfect. And that honestly eased my mind.''

''I'm happy for you.''

A short silence followed and Yuri fidgeted in her seat. She looked uneasy all of a sudden.

''Taeng. What if I told her?''

''Jessica?'' I asked carefully.

''Yeah.'' she said meekly. Her eyes focused on the food.

''If you told her, it would be a good thing. I mean, she deserves to know.''

Yuri stayed silent and continued to eat.

''I've been thinking about it,'' she admitted quietly. ''Seeing you and Tiffany together makes me feel optimistic. That maybe she will see beyond what we are. It also makes me feel lonely to see you guys together.''

''Hey,'' I said softly. ''I'll be there Yul. If you really want to go for it, I got you. I'll do anything you want me to do.''

Yuri smiled a little. ''Thanks. But I think I still need to think about it a little while. It's honestly kind of scary.''

''I know. Been there, remember?''

She puffed a long sigh. ''Why does it have to be so complicated?''

I shrugged. ''I guess that's just one of lifes big mysteries.''

I kept glancing at Yuri every chance I got for the rest of the day. It started to dawn on me – the very same thing had happened to both of us but it was me that got lucky. I began to understand how Yuri was feeling , she knows that we were in the same boat and she had struggled with her issue longer than I had. And yet I was the first one to get the price.

Later, we rode the bus from the other side of the city and I hugged her briefly once we got off at the bus stop near by where she lived.

She gave me a surprised look while stiffly patting my back.

''Where did that come from? The Taeyeon I know doesn't go around giving hugs!''

I landed a playful punch on her arm in return. ''Appreciate it.''

''Okay, okay! No need to hit me like that.''

I put my hands in my pockets. ''Look, I just don't want you to feel alone.''

Yuri gave me a small smile. ''I know that I'm not. And it's okay that you've been with Tiffany a lot lately. I understand you two have just begun and want to make progress in your relationship.''

''It's easy to get lost in her presence,'' I muttered.

''Well, Tiffany is quite a catch so nobody's blaming you.''

I laughed. ''That's an understatement.'' If you only knew...


 


 

I lazily waved at Tiffany when I saw her walk out of the elevator. She waved back and said something to her co-workers that came out with her. I hated coming over to her workplace but I had no choice but to it up when she told me to come.

She was walking towards me with a smile on her face when a man called out to her. I recognized the man as the CEO whom I had grown to dislike very strongly. I had the urge to roll my eyes but I remembered I was still in public. Besides acting indifferent was all I had.

They emerged into a brief conversation and I waited as patiently as I could.

''Let's go!'' Tiffany exclaimed after approaching me. I followed her quietly outside and to her car.

''I'm sorry you had to come all the way here.''

I shrugged and gave her a smile to assure her. ''It's fine. But you're buying me dessert though.''

She grinned. ''Of course.''

After having dinner, we stopped by an ice cream parlor to get the dessert she promised me.

''Here,'' Tiffany offered her ice cream cone. ''Taste mine.''

I leaned in and it. ''Yum.''

She took my hand and took a big bite from mine.

''Ewww. How can you bite into ice cream?''

''What?'' she giggled, wiping her lip with her thumb. ''Is that so weird?''

''Yes it is! No sane human being bites into ice cream like that.''

Tiffany rolled her eyes. ''Eat your ice cream and be quiet.''

''Yes ma'am.''

''I have heels on. I'll destroy your toes if you have something smart to say again,'' she said. I side-eyed her cautiously.

''I hate your heels,'' I mumbled.

She looked at me with brows raised.

''I mean, you're taller than me and I look like I'm your little sister or something.''

Tiffany grinned. ''Ohhh. So that's the issue. Hmm okay. Perhaps we need to buy you heels too.''

I shook my head and chewed on the crispy cone. ''No heels. Unless you want me to break my ankles.''

''I did runaway shows. When we practiced, I remember this girl sprained her ankle really badly but she still went through the whole show the next day. I've had my share of ankle injuries too,'' Tiffany said, looking longinly ahead of her. ''It takes time to get used to them but it also makes you feel confident, ya know?''

I looked at her and nodded. ''I guess. But I just haven't really been that interested in heels...''

She smiled lopsidedly.

''High heels are y.''

Her statement made me feel small. So my sneakers weren't y enough? Of course they're not y, you idiot! But I did wear pretty flats that one time we went out to eat...But only because Jessica forced me to. Maybe I could ask Jessica to teach me how to walk in high heels. Or die trying.

But she's right, heels are y.

''What are you thinking about? You're gonna drop ice cream on your jeans if you don't eat it soon.''

I snapped out of my thoughts at her voice.

''Sorry. Just random things.''

She continued to stare at me and I noticed she had finished her treat already.

''Let's go. Finish it in my car. I wanna go over to your place.''

I nodded and followed her.

__

Tiffany took off her heels and left them carelessly on the floor. I stepped over them and followed her to the living room where she laid on my sofa and turned the TV on.

''Do you wanna take a nap?'' I asked her. I took the coat she hung on the armrest of the sofa.

''Maybe.'' I heard her say while I hung it up.

''Well, I have to do my homework. I have a lot to do, by the way.''

Tiffany pouted. ''Oh, alright.''

''Make yourself comfortable!'' I yelled from my room.

I was halfway done with making my notes when Tiffany came in and kissed my cheek.

Please log in to read the full chapter