Chapter twenty-three

Madame
Please log in to read the full chapter

I encourage everyone to read the prev chapter again (I fixed some grammar and mistakes I found because I was trying to update fast.) I'm sorry for causing confusion and I hope this chapter makes up for it. Things will get hectic after this chapter lol just saying.

I appreciate the support you guys show this fic and I promise to try to update more frequently :) 

Love you guys <3

 

 

''I promise I won't leave your side even for a second,'' Tiffany spoke into my ear as we walked closely into the company she currently worked at. Apparently they were holding a party to celebrate the CEO's birthday. Not that I really gave a damn about him, but Tiffany wanted me to come with her. I didn't see myself suitable for the job but it was better than her going with someone else.

''I hope the food is good, because I'm starving.''

She smirked. ''They got the best catering in the city, trust me you'll enjoy it.''

''Oh joy, it's some overly fancy food, right?''

''Something like that,'' she laughed.

I held my purse tightly between my arm and my body as I walked beside Tiffany. She introduced me once again as a very close friend, even though they kept guessing whether I was a younger sibling or a relative of hers.

''Remember when we went to that party with Yuri and Jessica? The one at Sooyoung's place?''

''Yeah?''

''Now I know how you felt like when you said you felt out of place.''

Tiffany smiled at me. ''Oh come on. You look amazing and you're doing just fine. I can see some of the guys eyeing you and I'm not exactly liking that. ''

''Yeah right,'' I rolled my eyes at her. ''How long do we have to stay here again?''

''We can go after he cuts the cake.''

Tiffany took our coats and went to hang them.

''Ms. Hwang!'' I heard someone shout. I turned around and saw Tiffany exchanging simple pecks on the cheeks with a well groomed man. She smiled when she looked at me and gestured me to come next to her.

I shook hands with him and introduced myself politely, as he did in return. They talked for a while before he excused himself.

''Who was that?'' I asked once he had left us.

''That's the IT guy.''

I raised a brow skeptically. ''The IT guy? Really?''

She smiled. ''Yeah, don't let the looks deceive you.''

I said nothing and let her pull me to the catering table. I was reaching for a pastry when Tiffany stopped me.

''Use the spatula honey, not your hands.''

''Right, manners.''

I took the spatula and started loading my plate with whatever looked good enough for me to eat.

She grinned. ''Just tonight.''

We met more people and some even remembered my face from seeing me wait around for Tiffany before.

''Okay, crap. That's my department manager,'' Tiffany grunted silently. I looked behind her and saw a familiar man heading our way.

She had a forced smile on her face the entire time she chatted with her boss when he suddenly brought up work related stuff.

''Just because you got a pretty face does not mean you can slack off, Ms. Hwang,'' he remarked with a smile before excusing himself.

I furrowed my brows. ''What the hell did he mean by that?''

Tiffany rolled her eyes. ''Just ignore it babe.''

''Does he treat you like that all the time?''

She shrugged, taking bites off a pastry. ''Sometimes. He's used to getting work done quick and I may have had to return my reports with a delay a few days ago.''

''Can I just go stomp on his foot?'' I pointed at the heels I was wearing. Tiffany laughed.

''If you want to get me fired, then sure go ahead.''

''What a jerk.''

''Don't worry, I am more than capable of taking care of myself at work. And I'm used to being criticized. I was a model, remember?'' she whispered with a smirk. ''But I appreciate your concern.''

I sighed.

''Right. But that's still uncalled for.''

''Just ignore it. Let's just try to have fun. Atleast you're with me this time. You have no idea how awkward it is to go alone to parties like these.''

''You won't ever have to worry about that as long as I'm here.''

She smiled. ''You're very right.''

An hour later I was already starting to feel tired and my feet were hurting badly. I shifted beside Tiffany who was chatting animatedly with a woman. She was born to be around these kind of people and I admired how outgoing she was, without spilling too much about herself or her life outside her work.

''Taeyeon is actually studying business right now.''

''And nearly dying while at it. Who knew it would have been so difficult?'' I half joked.

''Oh, you're cute Taeyeon!'' the woman chuckled and patted my arm.

I faked a smile and looked at Tiffany, screaming in my head for her to help me.

''Taeyeon is a good student. Maybe one day she'll be a CEO of a big company too,'' Tiffany praised with a grin.

That's not helping!

I strained and flashed another fake smile. ''We'll see.''

The woman laughed once again with Tiffany.

''Look, I don't want to gossip but I heard the CEO got a foreign girlfriend. You should have gone on that date with him when he asked.''

I snapped my head at Tiffany.

''I'm just...not interested. I have a lot going on, you know,'' she defended herself, growing uncomfortable under my shocked stare.

''He seemed very interested, though. You'd make a good couple.''

''Yeah well, I'm sort of off the market at the moment.''

I wasn't sure if she said that just to make the woman stop talking or to calm me down.

''Hmm. Who's the lucky guy?'' the woman playfully nudged her shoulder.

Tiffany gave a nervous laugh, sparing me a short glance. ''It's still in the early stages, unnie.''

''You don't talk much about your private life, huh?''

''I'd rather not.''

The woman gave an understanding nod, sipping the champagne from her glass. ''Fair enough. That's a good thing to do. Well, I better go find my husband and see what he's up to.''

She left and we were left with a somewhat awkward silence. I stared at the glass of beverage in my hand.

''I'm sorry about that.''

''So, he asked you out? Isn't that forbidden since you're working in the same company?'' I pursed my lips.

''It's not entirely forbidden. And yes he did but I declined,'' Tiffany said, looking at me. ''That was before we got involved though. He has made his interest towards me obvious but...I just wasn't feeling it.''

''I see.''

''Should we go?''

''Can we?''

Tiffany nodded. ''I think so. You go get our coats and I'll go let them know we're leaving.''

I waited by the doors with Tiffany's coat hanging off of my arm. I was feeling a bit jealous and frustrated to have learnt what kind of working environment Tiffany was involved with. She had been through a lot and I began to understand why she didn't like those people. They were way too nosy.

''There you are,'' I heard her voice.

She smiled and took her coat from me.

''Here I am,'' I replied quietly.

''Do you wanna stay the night at my place?''

I nodded. ''I have classes tomorrow though.''

''I can drop you off at school.''

Tiffany and I took the cab to her place, where she wrapped an arm around my waist while standing in the elevator. I looked at her and she tightened her grip.

''I'm not going anywhere,'' I told her but the grip never loosened.

She ignored what I said and sighed. ''I hate when people try to pry about my personal life.''

I stayed quiet, assuming she wasn't done talking.

''I don't work there to get friends. I only work there so I can pay my bills.''

The elevator doors opened and we walked out to the hallway. At her door she let out a sharp sigh.

''I think I'm more upset about this night than you are,'' she muttered.

''I'm not even upset, Tiffany.''

I followed her inside and into her bedroom. She flung her purse on the bed and expertly reached behind to her dress.

''I was just surprised.''

I sat down and saw her shaking her head.

''No, you were upset and I understand that. One of the reasons I dislike those people is because they're like a giant group of gossipers. Gossips are what keeps the lively atmosphere alive there. Who I date and what I do when I'm off work is none of their business. They know who I was before and so they want to know everything about me even now when I'm a nobody.''

I looked at my sore feet while she got out of the dress and pulled on her home clothes.

''They think just because I'm used to being the topic of gossips and everything, they can pry into my personal life. I draw the line at that.''

She took a deep breath and sat down next to me.

''You're a part of my personal life and I want to keep you safe. Do you understand?''

''Yeah. I understand. I'm glad that at least you said you were off the market.''

She smiled. ''I said that because it's true.''

Tiffany stood up and pulled me up with her. ''Now get out of that dress and wear whatever you want from my closet. I'll make some tea and see if there's anything on TV to watch.''

She kissed me softly on my lips before leaving the room.

I chose a t-shirt and some shorts, putting the dress I wore on of the chairs in the bedroom. I walked barefeet to the kitchen.

''Ooh,'' she grinned.

''What?''I hopped up on the counter and watched her put the boiling water into two cups. The smell of jasmine and green tea filled the room.

''You look great in my clothes.''

I laughed shyly. ''Thanks.''

''Wanna watch some good old american action films on TV?''

''Sure. What are they showing?''

''Mission Impossible.''

''Let me guess, you like Tom Cruise too?'' I rolled my eyes. She chuckled.

''I met him actually.''

I stared at her blankly.

''It was years ago. Don't look so baffled.''

''I keep forgetting you were once a celebrity.''

''That's a good thing,'' she put her hand on my thigh and leaned to peck my lips. ''Come on, let's go to the living room.''

Tiffany was too immersed in the movie to notice me laying down on the other side of the couch. I placed my feet onto her lap and turned my head to face the TV.

The commercials came on and I slowly moved my feet towards Tiffany's face. I bit my lip when she side-eyed me.

''What are you doing?'' she grabbed my foot and shook it a little.

''What you always do to me.''

She laughed. ''Oh I see.''

I yelped when she pretended to bite my toes. She stopped and smirked.

Please log in to read the full chapter