Twenty Second

Beautiful Target
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“My heart melts at your smile, when our eyes meet, my heart pounds.”

Beautiful – Baekhyun

 

It was the usual dinner for the Byun family when the topic finally popped out. It was a simple gesture by his older brother that could bring butterflies inside his belly. “Eomma, do you remember Jung Eunji, the girl that kicked this brat’s balls?”

The spoon that was about to enter his mouth paused, as he shifted his eyes to meet his brother’s playful gaze. This would pay for bringing her up into the conversation.

“Of course, I do,” she smiled, “Why is that, Bom?”

“I heard that she and Baekhyun finally make it official. They’re dating now,” Baekbom said as if he was talking about what’s the headline news on the newspaper.

“They do?” Their mother’s brow was rising in curiosity.

Baekhyun put the spoon back on the plate and mumbled, “… Ah, I’m so tired. Thank you for the din—”

“—you’re not going anywhere before you give us details, son…” Mother said in firm tone, stopping her youngest son before stand up and leave.

“Eomma… Exhausted…” Baekhyun whined, using his powerful aegyo.

He could see his mother was cracking into a small smile, it meant that she couldn’t handle his cuteness, but she said, “I know my son is incredibly cute, but now I want details.”

“Eomma… I’ve been running for laps… My feet are wobbly now… They asked me to give them some rest… And my room is upstairs…”  Baekhyun knew she sounded unreasonable, but who cares?! He needed to get away from this topic as soon as possible. “… You know how difficult my journey would be…”

“You can sleep with me in my room…” His mother still refused to give in so easily.

“Eww, Eomma, what would people think about us? I have a girlfriend… You have a husband… We’re blood related… Eomma, do you know that is—”

“—skip the trash and give me details, son…” His mother was persistent and so hard-headed. Well, there’s a saying, a fruit never falls away from its tree.

Baekhyun made a face seeing his brother was smiling victoriously, of course he planned to do this all along. He also did exactly the same to Baekbom when he dated his girlfriend. “Eomma… You may not like this story… It’s kinda boring…”

“Boring is my cup of tea.” His mother blinked cheerily and gave no chance for Baekhyun to escape from his fated destiny. He was fated to tell about his embarrassing love story.

“Okay…” Baekhyun sighed. “Here we go…” He inhaled and mouthed a you, hyung to his brother before telling his love story, “… You know… Eunji and I have never been in peace passage since the first time we met…” His mother nodded, “… And then, I realized she had this crush to a classmate of her… Who I found that already had a girlfriend at the moment…” He ignored the smile his mother gave and continued, “… Then I thought… If she knew, she would be sad… Breakdown even… So yeah… I tried everything to make her getting my attentions… But the weird thing is… The more I tried, the more I realized that I’ve fallen for her.”

Even Baekbom was mesmerized on how sincere the way his younger brother told his mother about her, and his eyes were sparkling too, as if he was really enjoying the fact that he’s now getting her to be his.

“And then? What happened between you two?”

“… Chanyeol and Jongdae kept telling me that if I don’t ask, I will be the one regretting it… And yeah, I finally had the audacity to ask her properly, even before she was very upset because she found out that her crush and her friend were dating…”

“Oh, that must be awful,” His mother pressed her hands on her chest, she sounded irritated, well, Baekhyun was also irritated recalling that day.

“… Tell me about it,” Baekhyun frowned and opted to look up at the ceilings. He felt really awful too remembering her tears. Baekhyun has promised himself that he wouldn’t ever make that girl cry. “So yeah, it took a while before she agreed—”

“—you mean with your persistent forcing—”

Baekhyun glared at his older brother and continued, “—it’s not forcing, it’s trying, learn the difference, you, useless hyung,”

“Yah, you little brother—” Baekbom was cut off by their mother raised her hand.

“Enough, boys, you two are not kids anymore, why are you bickering too often. I could get heart attack… Anyway, Hyunnie, I think you should ask her to come here…”

Baekhyun rounded his black orbs and yelled, “Eomma, no!”

“No, why no?” His mother blinked in confusion, “Chaeyoung also met me a day after your brother dated her. So I think it’s even if you to do the same as well. Bring her over. I want to meet her.”

“Eomma, don’t embarrass me! She will not come, believe me.” Baekhyun whined, because seriously, why did his mother need to make up such things?! It’s not like Baekbom and Chaeyoung, they had bright future ahead – unlike Baekhyun. Even he was sure that he could like that annoying scary gangster until he’s seventy, but would she? And more, isn’t it more sounding like a soon-to-be daughter-in-law comes over?

“Just bring her over, Baek,” Baekhyun swore to God he would wipe his brother’s smug smile anytime soon, really. “It’s not like she’s going to be a daughter-in-law anytime soon,”

Knowing that he has lost the argument, two against one, with the two were older than him, how could this argument could be fairer? Baekhyun stood up finally and muttered, “I’ll try to ask her,”

“Ask her for real, Baek,” Baekbom’s voice echoed, “… Don’t make me ask for her number to Yonghwa, okay?”

All Baekhyun’s comeback was, “I hope you rot in hell, hyung, I really do!” and he took a halt at his living room, walking back and forth, he was hesitating and blowing some air to his hair. “Ah, just be a man and do it,”

So he pressed his #5 on speed dial and waited – he was jamming along with her ringback tone, it was 4Men’s Knock Knock Knock.

“Hello, sunbae?”

DAMN. DAMN. DAMN. Her sweet voice after meeting her just now was epic. His heart was accelerating like crazy. DAMN. DAMN. DAMN. It sent shivers to his spine. Was this how a guy should feel calling his girlfriend?

“Hello, sunbae?” She called again, “You’re not joking right now, are you?” She sighed and waited, but there was still nothing, only soundly gasping. Thinking she was being joked at, Eunji said, “Sunbae, I’m hanging up—”

“NO,” Baekhyun answered her finally, “… Ugh… Eunji… Hello…”

“What’s wrong?” Eunji asked, sounded a bit worried, “Are you okay? Are you sick?”

Whoa, it’s escalating to something. She never sounded this worried before. “Uhm, no… I’m fine, just tired…”

“Then you should sleep instead calling me!” Eunji harrumphed.

“But I miss you…” Baekhyun blurted out without any warning.

A pregnant silence, Baekhyun was about to say he was sorry for saying something like that – because maybe it was really surprising for the younger, since they had just dated for more than twelve hours only, but then just then, he swore he could hear she said, “I miss you too,” very very softly, before her tone raised, “… Your health is more important than me, it’s not like I will like the sick you, ugh… Chanyeol oppa once said you’re whiny when you’re sick…”

“What,” Baekhyun chuckled, “So you won’t take care of me if I get sick?”

“If you’re going to whine at me like a baby, well no, I rather take care of a real baby,” Eunji retorted.

“I could be a baby if you want me to,”

“No, please don’t. I can’t imagine myself taking care such a big baby like you…”

They chuckled, before Baekhyun finally found the courage to call her, she waited until Baekhyun spoke up, “My mother knows about us,” Silence. “… And she, in some ways, expecting to meet you in person,” Still silence. “Do you think you can come over? But…! It’s really understandable if you don’t want to… I mean… We’re new… It’s moving too fast… I understand…”

“What cake does your mother like to eat?” Eunji out of blue, out of Baekhyun’s prediction, blurted a question, “… I don’t really know mothers’ taste since I live with three males, and I think my taste is getting awful just like boys… I eat literally everything… It’s scary, don’t you think, sunbae?”

Baekhyun gaped. Did this girl saying she would go in some complicated ways? “… Will you come?” Baekhyun dared to ask.

“Well, do I have another option? I don’t remember you’re saying anything about I can to refuse…”

“I said it’s understandable if you don’t want to…”

“You’re saying something that your heart doesn’t even want to say,” Eunji cackled, “It’s okay, I’ll come to meet her. Tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow?” Baekhyun asked back.

“Err… I’m only saying… It’s you inviting me, sunbae…”

“Oh, right, me, right, tomorrow… You’re okay with tomorrow? Nothing to do? It’s really okay if you have plans for tomorrow. And uh, should I come and pick you up?”

Baekhyun could feel Eunji was giggling and Baekhyun wished he could record that giggle – she was giggling because of him, and it’s really really good for his health. He could live for another fifty years after hearing her laughter.

“… You’re nervous, aren’t you, sunbaenim?” Eunji finally managed to say.

“I am not,” Lie. “I’m not nervous, at all,”

“But you sound like one,” Eunji teased and Baekhyun really should go to church to thank heavens for giving his chance to be with her.

“Fine…” Baekhyun admitted, “It’s really new for me, you know… I’ve never brought any girl to my house…”

“Taeyeon eonni?” Eunji tried her luck.

Baekhyun knew if he answered this wrong, it could turn everything upside down, “Well yeah, she came too, but her status was hyung’s girl, not mine.”

“I see…”

“Hey, don’t frown,” Baekhyun tried his best to enlighten the mood, “It’s you. I’m going to bring you coming, not her, not anyone else.” 

“Okay…”

“Okay,” Baekhyun heaved a sigh and ran a hand to his hair, “I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay,” Another short answer coming from the other line.

“So no sweet kisses and goodbyes?”

“Do you expect to be cut to pieces or pushed off the edge of rooftop?”

“I was only saying! I’m really nervous about us, you know… I’m only trying to make us comfortable with each other.”

“Seriously, sunbae, you’re thinking too much. It’s not like I’m going to be all cheesy about our relationship. I think you should sleep,”

“Why, you want to sleep?”

“Kinda… My feet are worn-out, my body is too, I really need to rest…”

“Okay, then,” Baekhyun smiled alone, “… Sleep tight, gangster, dream of me.” And Baekhyun chuckled hearing Eunji muttered some audible curses and ended their conversation.

 

 

After the call ended, Eunji turned around only to find her brothers and her father were crossing their arms and looked at her meaningfully. Her father’s and Yonghwa’s stare were rather calming and teasing – unlike Jinwoon’s. That guy, even he already gave her his blessings seemed like he still didn’t want to believe that his baby maknae was getting older and having a lover.

“Hyung, I don’t want to see this,” Jinwoon pointed up and down at his sister, “I can’t believe that she’s getting older… I don’t want to believe that she’s going to leave us anytime soon!”

“What are you talking about, Woonie?” Yonghwa caressed his brother’s back, “Of course Jungie is getting older… She can’t be kept like things, she is not a thing. I think now it’s your time to wake up from your sister complex, brother. Find a girlfriend and you’ll find yourself acting just like I do and Eunji does,”

Her father nodded in agreement, “Yes, and invite her over! It would be better if she can cook, I like girls that can cook,” Then her father glanced at his youngest daughter and let out a naughty smile, “So my daughter is going somewhere tomorrow?”

“Appa,” Eunji whined but ran into his embrace. Her cheeks reddened by the tease, “I’m nervous,”

“Yah, don’t be.” Yonghwa shook his head firmly. “Don’t be nervous, because you’ll be fine there. You should be polite and sweet, yes, but still be you. I think Baekhyun’s mother wants you to come over to see the real you. It’s not like you’re going to visit your in-laws—”

“—Eunji’s too young to know about in-laws, hyung!” Jinwoon cut him off and Yonghwa glared at is brother. Jinwoon was sure having a sister complex.

“Aish, this kid…” Yonghwa then set his eyes back at Eunji, “Now you’d better go to your room and start preparing for tomorrow.” Yonghwa patted her back, “Go.” Yonghwa commanded and Eunji dashed away, leaving the males alone.

“And you,” Appa pointed his index finger at his second child, “… You should really get a girlfriend soon, son. I don’t want to see you be lonely in love, while your siblings are enjoying the moments,”

Appa got an eye-roll from the second son and a burst of laughter from his eldest son.

***

Baekhyun called in the morning to say that he’s going to pick her up at ten, and Eunji was busy finding the right dress to wear. She heard the door was knocked and turned around to find her father was smiling jokingly at Eunji. Eunji blushed and she quickly stepped to her father, he was shaking his head seeing the amounts of clothes were spread all over her bed.

“Now I understand why your mother took so long to prepare when we dated,” her father joked and Eunji smiled thinly, she missed her mother too. But her father was quick to change the topic and said, “Jinwoon is still sulking, do you know any girl that should be his girlfriend?” her father tried to think, “Or how about the girl we saw when I picked you up? She seems nice,”

“… Jinwoon oppa is so dumb, Appa,” Eunji told, “… That eonni is been obvious liking him for long, but Jinwoon oppa doesn’t waver, yet he still acts so casual towards her. Ugh. Even his friends already tried, but Jinwoon oppa still is dumb.”

“Where did he learn to be like that?” Her father pouted and Eunji only giggled. True, unlike Yonghwa and Eunji, who were always loud, showing their feelings from their facial expressions, and  talkative, Jung Jinwoon was a bit different, he was quieter, reserved, and people would always wonder what he was thinking because his facial expression was unreadable, even sometimes his siblings got hard times for that.

“Maybe Woonie oppa has not met the one?” Eunji tried as she picked up one of the dresses and shook her head, “Someone needs to get into his head, Appa…”

Her father clicked his tongue, “Should I introduce him to my friends’ daughters? Some of them are pretty and—”

“—no, Appa…” Eunji smiled, “… There’s only one female in particular, and I think it’s about sooner or later.”

Her father nodded and then picked up a dress – it was light green dress with floral patterns – “Wear this one,” her father said, “You’ll look beautiful in this,”

It took some moments before Eunji said softly, “… It’s Eomma’s,”

Her father broke into a soft kind smile and nodded lightly, “… I know. She wore it on our last date, where I proposed to her,” then his eyes sparkled, “Who knows that he will—”

“—APPA!”

 

 

Baekhyun really came at ten sharp, he was wearing his flannel shirt and light blue jeans, and if Eunji took a good look, his hair was colored lighter than it was before, and it seemed soft like cotton candy, but again, Eunji needed to admit that Baekhyun nailed the look. He welcomed Eunji with a bright smile and stood up, there was Yonghwa beside him – Jinwoon wasn’t home because of his preparations for final exams – and Yonghwa looked as pleased as her boyfriend.

“Take care of her, will you, son,” her father slapped his arm a bit hard and Baekhyun quickly bowed.

“Of course I will, Sir,” Baekhyun then smiled at Eunji and led the female to the car. After ushered her, Baekhyun went in and he honked before took off, leaving the place.

The ride was silent, the only noise was coming from Baekhyun, he was humming to a certain song and Eunji opted to look out of the window. Summer in Seoul has always bright and hot, but Eunji liked it. She looked up at blue sky hidden by skyscrapers that was when she felt something was on her cheek. As she turned her neck, turned out it was Baekhyun’s index finger caressing her cheek.

“Whoa, did I tell you that you look great?” Baekhyun chirped happily, “I never know a gangster could look so pretty in a dress,”

“Yah, Byun Baekhyun…” she frowned because Baekhyun still .

“And this pretty gangster belongs to me,” he added and Eunji’s heart raced faster. “Whoa, I really am honored.”

Eunji hissed and rolled her eyes, and Baekhyun only laughed.

“Anyway, you’ll meet my mother and if you’re unlucky, my brother will be at home as we’re talking right now… And um, my father is leaving out of town for weeks–for business, I guess… So yeah, mother and brother,” Baekhyun informed, “… And they are louder and much noisier than me, so I think you should try to hang on for a while,”

Eunji studied that Baekhyun was nervous, his grip was too tight on the steering wheels, even the traffic was ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter