Fourteenth

Beautiful Target
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“If someone gives you a sign like I am right now, then please notice it.”

Man in Love – Infinite

 

"Where are we?"

It was the only question asked by the freshmen, when they arrived. Unlike the freshmen, the sophomores and seniors didn't say anything. They were more excited with the view than asking where their location was right now.

"Ah, I forget this place has no signal!" Jongdae grumbled. "I can't log in to my SNS account."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "And why the hell should you log in to your stupid account?"

"Because I want to tell my fans I'm arrived safely. So they don't have to worry about me." Jongdae bragged.

Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol only shook their heads. Responding this drama king would only make them wanted to commit suicide.

Truth to be told, they were sent to a remote village. There was no signal, so it was useless to use phone. The only vehicle that able to be used was bicycle, so if someone couldn't ride, it meant the other had to give a ride or by foot.

But the view was great. The air was still fresh, because there were lots of trees, and there was a fall and a lake near the village. There were also lots of rice fields.

They were all gathered right in front of sub district office. They were all tired but energized for the big moments.

"Okay, people, so here it goes. I will give all of you the arrangement. There will be four teams with twelve members each. As what we always do, the teams will be given tasks, and you have two weeks to finish it. The names marked italic are the captains of the team. It can't be changed. And for the roommates, Seohyun will explain later. Oh, in addition, I don't want to hear any complaints, so you all have to get along with each other." Jinwoon explained the whole thing firmly, when the school's organization members spread the arrangements.

 

 

TEAM 1

TEAM 2

TEAM 3

TEAM 4

1.

Huang Zitao

1C

Do Kyungsoo

1C

Choi Minho

3C

Byun Baekhyun

2B

2.

Kim Junmyeon

3B

Jung Jinwoon

3C

Jung Daehyun

1A

Kim Jongdae

2B

3.

Kim Kibum

3A

Lee Hyunwoo

1C

Kang Minhyuk

3C

Lee Chanhee

1C

4.

Kim Myungsoo

2A

Lee Taemin

1A

Lee Byunghun

1B

Lee Sungyeol

3A

5.

Lee Sungjong

1C

Seo Kangjun

1B

Lee Howon

3A

Nam Woohyun

3C

6.

Zhang Yixing

3C

Tuan Mark

1D

Woo Kevin

3D

Park Chanyeol

2B

7.

Bae Irene

3C

Jung Nicole

3D

Bang Minah

1C

Jung Eunji

1C

8.

Cho Hyunyoung

3B

Kim Jiwon

2D

Choi Junhee

1D

Liu Amber

2B

9.

Im Jinah

3D

Kim Yura

2B

Kwon Nara

3D

Park Chorong

3D

10.

Kang Jihyun

2C

Lee Minyoung

3A

Lee Jieun

1C

Park Sunyoung

1B

11.

Kim Dasom

1A

Park Hyekyung

3D

Park Jiyeon

1A

 Shin Hyejeong

1A

12.

Yoo Jiae

1D

Seo Joohyun

3B

Park Sooyoung

2A

 Yoon Bomi

1C

 

Baekhyun was busy chatting with his seniors, when the whispers gradually heard. He turned around and furrowed his eyebrows when his female classmates giggled, and Yura was sending sharp glares at him.

"Whoa, this is interesting!" Kibum shouted when he looked at the arrangement paper.

His senior, Irene joined him and smiled widely. "Whoa, Baekhyun will love this interesting news."

"What? What? What is interesting news?" Baekhyun pulled the paper away impolitely.

He rounded his eyes when he saw his name was marked italic. It meant he would be the captain. No, he was okay being the leader. He loved attention. But what attracted his eyes was a very well known name written as member of his team.

Jung Eunji.

And to made it worse, it wasn't only his name was marked, it was Eunji's as well.

Frozen for few minutes, he then sighed heavily. "You'd better go to Jun and ask how in the world that could happen." Irene suggested.

Following her suggestion, he walked to Junmyeon. "Hyung. Who set these whole arrangements?"

Junmyeon pretended to act cool, when he actually wanted to laugh at him. "Nicole. Why do you ask?"

"No, hyung. Thanks." He walked off. "Yah, Jung Nicole!" Baekhyun looked at his friend, Jung Nicole, who quickly hid behind the giant Chanyeol. "Why are you doing this to me?! Just because you are older than me, it doesn't stop me wanting to strangle you, you pretty little !"

"Yah, that's not how you talk to your dear noona, you Byun!" Nicole snapped. "I was asked, Baekhyun! Well.. I also thought it would be fun for you!"

"Yah, it's not fun! It's torturing! Who the hell asked you, noona?!" He was angry to the core.

Nicole secretly pointed at Jongdae and Amber, who chuckled and glanced at him.

So those two brats planned this. "Yah, you bastard! How could you do this to me?! Aren't we friends for life?! And you, Amber! How dare you joining that !" He yelled.

Jongdae hurriedly ran away, leaving Amber alone. Baekhyun walked closer to his friend, Liu Amber, who was grinning like a fool. Well, Baekhyun could tell she was very nervous, remembering what Baekhyun could do to her. "Yah, Baek, isn't it great? You can have fun with her!" Amber smiled forcefully.

"Great?! Yah, you little piece of.." He didn't continue his curse. She was girl after all. ".. How could you do this to me?! She won't forgive me anyhow!"

"She will, Baek! Trust us!" Amber quickly covered with her hand. "... I mean, trust me! Trust me, okay?"

But Baekhyun knew there was something wrong. "Us? . Not only you two, huh? Who else?" He ruffled his hair. "Yah, Liu Amber, what are you up to?!"

Amber pretended to act deaf and walked away. Baekhyun, who was still very very curious followed her and kept asking.

Chanyeol and Jongdae, on the other hand, were busy commenting about the arrangements.

"Aigoo, too sad. Yura isn't with Baekhyun!" Jongdae faked a sigh.

"Ah, Yoon Bomi is with us! Of course, of course. Wherever Eunji is, Bomi will be there."

Jongdae was like stopped breathing out of sudden.

"Yah, yah. Look at this! We are with Chorong noona too! Whoa, we are safe, Jong!"

Jongdae nodded merrily then called Junmyeon, who was busy explaining about the roommates. Of course, as always, the Captain Beagle turned all eyes on him.

"Yah, Jun hyung!" Junmyeon looked at him in confusion. "You should let us slip, okay?! Your girlfriend is my hostage here!" Then he pointed his finger at Jinwoon. "And you too, Woon hyung! Your sister is my hostage! This is awesome! The VIPs' important girls are in my team!"

The students laughed hard with his stupid threat. "But once you make my sister hurt, I will make you pay, okay?" Jinwoon said with soft tone, but for the Beagle line, it was friendly warning.

"Aigoo. My team members are pranksters and troublemakers. How could I survive with this mess?" Nam Woohyun, third year, who was also known as a famous and handsome prankster, walked off towards their direction with paper on his hand, shaking his head, pretended to act worried.

"Yah, hyung, you also are a prankster, just like us. Oh no, you are not just a prankster. You are the master." Jongdae said.

"I know, right? I taught you three everything. We are like.. Shifu and Po in Kung Fu Panda." Woohyun joked.

"Hyung, seriously. You are almost graduating. Why can't you be a bit serious like Jinwoon hyung and Junmyeon hyung? You should study harder for entrance test, hyung.." Chanyeol asked.

"Yah, I can't be serious like them. And serious means boring. I can't be boring! Yah, Channie, just because I don't use my brain often, it doesn't mean I'm not smart. If I use it often, I will be much much smarter than Woon and Jun. Trust me."

"Trusting you is hard, hyung. Oh, Baekhyun! Why is your face look so gloomy? Smile, dude, smile. We will have so much fun!" Chanyeol said, but Baekhyun knew he was mocking him.

"Have fun, my ." He grumbled, then nudged Jongdae. "Yah, who do I share the room with?"

"Me." Chanyeol and Jongdae answered.

"Jinwoon hyung and Seo Kangjun." Chanyeol added.

"Really? Jinwoon hyung? Can't we change?"

"Yah! He is your future brother-in-law! You can't change him like he was junk food." Chanyeol smacked his head.

"Oh, right, right. Yah, ! Brother-in-law, your . I'm not thinking that far!" Baekhyun's turn to smack his best friend's head.

"But, but, but..." Jongdae cut their bicker off and grinned.

Baekhyun sensed the 'but' wouldn't be nice to hear.

"We are also with him." Jongdae pointed at someone, who was also familiar in his life, since he met that gangster junior.

". Like my day hasn't gone bad yet." Baekhyun rubbed his face miserably.

 

 

Just like the frustrated Baekhyun, Eunji already looked like hell. She confronted her older brother, a bit far from the crowds. "Oppa."

Jinwoon tried to control himself not to grin teasingly and looked at his younger sister. He knew that face. "What's wrong, Jungie?"

"I want to switch team. I don't want to be with that jerk." She pouted.

"Yah, Jungie, I can't do that. I can't cheat, only because I love you and you are my sister. What will they think about you? They will think you are a spoiled brat, who can't fix your own problems."

"But, oppa... How can I get along with him? The only thing I want to do is cut him to pieces and feed it to dogs."

"Yah, Jungie, I know you hate him, but can you forget it for two weeks? Only two weeks, pretending nothing happened between you two. Because, really, maknae, I can't switch you as easy as I pleased. Rules are made to be obeyed, remember? And I can't risk you.. Or me, only because we are siblings."

Eunji stared at Jinwoon with hatred look, but she knew she would lose the argument. She sighed heavily. "You helped Nicole eonni, right, arranging those stupid arrangements?"

Jinwoon didn't answer. His meaningful smile answered everything.

"Of course you will. Don't you think I will be curious? From all people why you and Kyungsoo are in same team? And more, why do I become a team member with people I know well? Like Seohyun eonni, Bomi... The answer is easy. You did scheme with her."

Jinwoon didn't respond anything. He let Eunji spoke, letting all her deductions out.

"And you really are trying to keep me at distance. You prefer your beautiful, one and only sister be with that stupid jerk in same team."

Jinwoon smiled. "Trust me, Jungie, you won't regret this decision."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Promise?"

"When did your oppa lie to you?"

Eunji frowned hard. He got the point. "If you lied, I would tell Min eonni not to date you." Then she walked away.

Jinwoon needed few seconds to process what she has just said. When he realized, his expression was blank. "What's that supposed to mean?"

***

Eunji was staying at one of the villagers' house, Jang. He was a widower, who worked at sub district office. Eunji stayed there along with Bomi, Minah, Irene, Seohyun, and Yura. Six of them in two bed rooms. Because they were aware what would happen if Yura stayed with Eunji, since well.. They were rivals, even Eunji didn't admit she liked Baekhyun.. She hated that guy, remember? So Eunji was with Bomi and Seohyun, Yura with Irene and Minah.

"Uncle Jang is so kind. I'm really full. He made a delicious kimchi for sure." Seohyun patted her belly with smiling happily. "Let's check what we will do after dinner... Oh! Campfire! Whoa, it's cold outside. We should wear sweater! Do you two bring sweater?"

The younger nodded heartily.

Eunji opened her bag and checked it. She blinked when she saw there was no sweater inside. Where was it? She was sure she put one inside before. Yonghwa kept telling her to bring sweater, so she took it right away.

"What's wrong?" Seohyun innocently asked.

Eunji was busy with her bag, so she didn't realize her roommates were smiling secretly.

"I can't find my sweater.." Eunji whispered.

"Maybe you put it on the bottom, Ji." Bomi's voice was calm.

Eunji checked over and over again, but still, she couldn't find her sweater. "Ah.. Seems I forgot to bring one."

"You what?!" Seohyun pretended to be surprised. Too surprised, really. "Yah, it's so cold out there! You will freeze to death, Eun!"

Eunji bit her lower lip. She didn't want to freeze on her first day here. "Maybe Woonie oppa has spare jacket.." She stood up and was about to open the door.

"No! No! No! No!" Both Bomi and Seohyun quickly stopped her.

"Why?" She asked curiously.

"Because..." Bomi tried to make an excuse. "Because... I have extra for you." Bomi smiled and took out something from her bag. "Wear this."

"What is it?" Eunji furrowed her eyebrows.

"Duh, a varsity jacket, of course. What else?" Bomi answered, her smile was still there.

"I know, I'm not blind. Why are you giving this to me? And.. What's with LA Dodgers? I never knew you like that baseball team."

"Ah, it's a gift. But it's too big for me. So I think it will fit you better."

Eunji frowned, but she wore it anyway. It was freezing, even they were inside the room.

"You know it's big, then why did you bring it?"

Bomi smiled forcefully. "Ah... Just in case I need more. Jongdae sunbae said this place is very cold at night."

Eunji looked at Bomi and smiled back at her. "Thanks, Bbom. You save my life."

"I know, Ji, I know."

Seohyun looked out the window and she grinned when she saw something she expected for a while ago. "Yah, are you two ready? Let's go. The campfire is just about to start."

 

 

"Yah, do me a favor." Chanyeol took out something from his bag and handed it to his best buddy, Byun Baekhyun.

Baekhyun took the varsity jacket and furrowed his eyebrows. "What is this for?"

"For you. We three are going to wear same varsity jackets."

"But I already wore this hoodie." Baekhyun pointed his red hoodie, at the same time refusing to wear it along with his friends. "And we are not babies anymore, dude. We don't have to wear something childish like this."

Chanyeol looked irritated hearing Baekhyun's response. "Childish?" He seemed hurt. "So you don't want to wear this? Okay, okay, it's not good for your image, isn't it? Okay, I get it. It's okay, Baek. Thanks. It's glad to know before too late." Chanyeol took the jacket away. He stood up and was just about to walk out the room, when Baekhyun snatched it away.

"Okay, okay, okay. I wear this. Happy?" He wore the varsity jacket along with his hoodie.

Chanyeol pretended to be mad. "No, just give it back. I can give this to someone else. Woohyun hyung, Jinwoon hyung, anyone. You shouldn't feel guilty, Baek."

"Yah! Why are you saying that to me?! I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry. Look at me, dude. I wear it, right? I wear it for you. For Jongdae."

Chanyeol smiled widely after Baekhyun begged for his forgiveness. "But promise me one thing, dude."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes but gave in. He couldn't disagree if he wanted Chanyeol to stop his stupid mad acting. "What is it?"

"Promise me you won't take it off for any reason."

He blinked. "Why?"

"Promise me."

"But―"

"Baek.." Chanyeol warned him.

"Okay, okay. I promise I won't take it off for any reason."

"Great! Let's go. We have a campfire party to rock."

"No. Wait. Why don't you wear yours?"

Chanyeol clicked his tongue. He never knew Baekhyun was this careful. And now he had to lie. "Mine is with the camel. He's outside. Come on, let's go."

Baekhyun followed Chanyeol obediently, but somehow he felt something bad was about to happen.

***

Baekhyun's gut was never wrong. Baekhyun's gut would always tell the truth.

They were standing several meters away with their eyes widened. They looked up and down, realizing they were wearing exactly same varsity jacket.

When Baekhyun tried to it, Chanyeol coughed. Baekhyun made a face to his best friend and canceled his intention.

And when Eunji ed the first button, Bomi spoke softly to her, "You will freeze to death, Ji. Just keep it on. It looks cute on you, don't worry."

Eunji scrunched up her nose and ruffled her hair roughly. "This is very very annoying."

They walked slowly to the crowd, like letting one of them to join first. Both Baekhyun and Eunji stepped right behind Chanyeol and Bomi.

Jongdae noticed their presence first. And as expected from the captain Beagle, he shouted loudly on purpose, "Whoa, my team captains are wearing the same jacket! Yah! Yah! My captains are just so sweet!"

All eyes locked on Baekhyun and Eunji.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Look at this famous couple! So is that official already? You two dating?" Im Jinah, mostly called Nana, grinned slyly.

"Yah, Woon! You should come and see your sister! She has grown up!" Junmyeon pulled Jinwoon, who was busy preparing the campfire to their direction.

Unexpectedly, Jinwoon was only standing beside his best dude and looked at them two. He nodded slowly and said, "They look compatible. Perfect match. Don't you think so, Myeon?"

"I do! Whoa, we really should make this official! Jinwoon gives his blessing. And it's more than enough, Baek. You can date her safely now." Junmyeon teased.

Baekhyun's face reddened. "Whoa, look at this blushing Byun Baekhyun." Amber snickered.

"Yah, you s!" He yelled. He was pissed off, but his face didn't do any help. It was red, not because of anger, but embarrassed. Yes, people, Byun Baekhyun was embarrassed being teased like that. He lost his pride. Because of the girl.

Then Lee Howon, a third year, came to the rescue. He told the students campfire was ready and they had to sit, creating a circle shape. With a simple condition, the person next to them had to be different gender.

It took almost an half hour to create a perfect spots for everyone.

Eunji smiled happily because Kyungsoo was on her right and Tao was on his left.

But her boys were annoyed. Even until that obvious moment, Kyungsoo was Minah's left, Eunji still didn't see the sparks between them.

"That little piece of ." Chanhee grumbled when he saw Minah was smiling meaningfully to Kyungsoo. "I'm really going to smack her."

Jiyeon, who sat beside him, blinked confusedly. "Her, Chanhee?"

Chanhee looked at her and shook his head. "It's nothing." Jiyeon still looked at him. "Stop looking at me." He howled lowly.

Lee Howon and Nam Woohyun stood right in the midle, near the campfire. Along with them, there were Kim Jiwon and Lee Minyoung, who held papers tied with pink ribbons.

"Good evening, everyone." Howon started. "I know, I know, it was a hard way to get here from Seoul. I understand all of you are tired, because we all here too. But for tonight, before we give you the tasks tomorrow, we want all of us to get along. Because well, we believe some of you even don't know each other before."

"Unless this two." Woohyun out of sudden pointed at Baekhyun and Eunji. "They must know each other very well."

There were teasing noise, before Howon calmed them down.

"And now, we already prepared questions for you. They are all different questions, so don't you dare hoping it will somehow the same."

"The rules are simple." Minyoung, well known as Min, added, "You have to answer the question honestly. If we find out you're lying, you will get a punishment. And more, after answering yours, you should point someone else, as long as they are different gender."

"It's easy, right? Okay, to turn up the heat, let me play first." Jiwon took one of the papers and opened it.

Why do you join Summer Projects?

"Whoa! A safe question!" Min clapped. "Answer it, Jiwon!"

Jiwon smiled. "My reason for joining this is easy. Because I need a break from studying like a crazy student and my friends are joining. Oh! Because this event will be my last. That's why I decided to abandon my papers and join."

After answering, she looked around and she smiled at Choi Minho. She walked to him and handed him the paper. "Minho, your turn."

Minho opened the paper and blushed seeing the question.

When was your first kiss?

"Ooohhh... An illegal question.." Woohyun said then chuckled at his own lame joke.

Minho blushed harder. "Yah, can I change the question?"

"Yah, do you want punishment?" Howon asked back.

He inhaled some breath, but then he was exploded in laughter. He seemed like very nervous to answer the question.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter