VII: Beneath Great Storm

Boys over Flower II: Eternal Love

 

 3 in the morning at the hospital, Kyu jong woke up half consciously. He did not see Mr. Wong but he grasp an image of his cousin Jihoo who’s taking care of him and his young brother who’s standing beside him. He tries to move away from him and wanted to reach his brother but he does not have strength to do it.

 He felt Jihoo patting his head and his arm with warm towel, fixing his bed sheet so he can’t catch a cold and then he checked his blood pressure.

 

He’s taking care of me… how ironic, he thought and he closed his eyes. But when he opens his eye again he cannot recognize where he was.

 

The room was so bright and the sunbeam passes through the thin curtain of the window.

 

Where am I?

 

He looked around and realized that he was, in a hospital.

 

But how?

 

Then he remembered the image of Jihoo in his mind.

 

Did he…

 

Mr. Wong shows up.

“I’m glad your awake, Mr. President.”

 

“How am…”

 

“I came to look for you in your condo and see you without conscious.”

 

“ Where hyung came to…”

 

“He’s not yet back from China but I already mention that you were sent to the hospital about three days ago.”

 

So it’s just a dream, he thought but he gasps as he heard Mr. Wong, “THREE DAYS without waking up?”

 

“Neh. You loss a half bag of blood so you became weak.”

 

“I see…”

 

“Our chairman will be here tonight so get a full rest sir.”

 

“Ara, ara.. always Jihoo sunbae… go away.”

 

He just lowered his head to leave then suddenly, Park Jungmin enters the room.

 

“Annyeong hasseyo, sudungnim! Annyeong hasseyo, sunbae.” He greets.

 

“So you came early. Why our chairman is not with you?” asks Mr. Wong.

 

”Waeyo? I thought he’s here at Japan a month ago since chairman always gives me a task in the Philippines for the proposal. He said that I need to go here for Kyu jong-ssi.”

 

So I’m not dreaming that night, Kyu jong clarified to himself.

 

“It can’t be. I had an international call from our chairman a month ago in Indonesia and this past four days, he said he was in China with YOU.”

 

“But three days ago, he also contacted me to go here after submitting the proposal to the Philippine ambassador, sunbae.”

 

What then?! Now I’m confused! Kyujong said to himself

 

“As personal secretary, you should always at his side! How come you are not around with him? What if there is something happen to him? Are you responsible for it? Park Jung Min-ssi, you dishonor your family for being carelessness!”

 

“Mianhaedda, sunbae…” he bend his knee for forgiveness.

 

“Don’t feel sorry, stand up Jung min-ie. I ask him to go there, Uncle Wong,” then he looked up to Kyu jong, “Are you sure you don’t want to have a press conference before the launching?”

 

“I’m sure of it.”  He says. It’s a simple word from Kyujong like he was not surprised at all.

 

“C-chairman Yoon… you’re here.” He bow and said, “You should address him carefully sir. He is still your employee.”

 

“We’re not in the office right now Uncle Wong. I took the first flight so I can come early than Jungmin but I miscalculated it. It seems he is so worried about you, Kyu jong-ie.”

 

“You had this smooth talk in your mouth, what’s new?” asks Kyu jong.

 

“We got good feedback to the two countries I visited and I am waiting for the approval for the Philippines and that’s my assignment for Jungmin-ssi.”

 

.”I see you got a rollover.” He said sarcastically.

 

“HYUNG! YAH!” a young man shouts as he enters the room, breathing roughly.

 

But Jungmin halt him, “I’m sorry but this is A PRIVATE PLACE! You should find your own brother!”

 

“Let me in! Aiishh! I know him, you old hag!” Hyung Jun insist.

 

“What?! OLD HAG? Hey you little bumpkin, even you look so great and I wearing this delicate suit that’s made me mature you should follow orders, Arraseo?”

 

But the man tries to come inside even Jungmin warns him.

 

“Let him in, Jung min-ssi. Sorry but I know him. He’s Choi Hyung Jun.” kyu jong said at last when he recognize the man.

 

“Neh?” Jung min stops harassing the man and hold him smoothly.

 

“Aigoo! What a jerk guard.”

 

“Yah!Yah! I’m not a body guard you little rotten! I’m a personal secretary.”

 

 “It’s seems that my gift was late.” Jihoo says.

“Him— as a present?” Kyu jong mumbles.

 

He just smiled.

“Jung min-ssi, be tame. You’re acting like a child.” Mr. Wong warns.

 

“Gomenasai.”

“I’ll take over the company for the meantime; take some rest with Choi Hyung Jun-ssi.” Says Jihoo to Kyu Jong.

 

“I can’t. I have limited time and I want to finish it by myself.”

 

“No. I forbid you to do reckless.”

 

“One week rest--- just… Don’t take over it, I already started it.”

 

“Fine. Let’s go Jungmin.”

 

“Hie!”

 

Then they leave with Mr. Wong, only Hyun Jun and he left behind.

 

“How are you?” he asks.

 

“It’s better than ever when you visit me.”

 

“What happen? You never fainted in work. Why all of a sudden—“

 

“I commit suicide.”

 

Hyung Jun stared enough at him and said, “Don’t Joke around.”

 

“No I’m not.”

 

“What reason?”

 

“He took away my brother.”

 

“I understand… he’s the only one you have in your life now that—now…hmnn… I think it’s not healthy to tell you in this kind of situation.” Hyung Jun cuts.

 

“Proceed. No matter what it is, I think it will hurt me more.”

 

“Ara… Uncle Namgil is not around at Jeju anymore. Mianhae not telling you this before because you’re busy but my father told me that Uncle Namgil was taken by three suit men dragging along the road.”

 

“Was it possible that my Hyung behind of it? Or the creditors were my father had bad debt carried him?”

 

“I don’t know who exactly they were.”

 

“When it happen?”

 

“A month after you left Korea. Almost ten months passed.”

 

Kyujong grip his palm harder.                              

 

“Never tell hyung that I heard some news about my father.”

 

“But, why can’t we tell? What if he can help us—“

 

“That’s the point. He want me crawling back to seek help especially to him.”

 

“We’re just up to conclusion. It might—“

 

“Take a rest, Maknae. You need it too like I need it badly.”

 

“Neh… I’ll be back before dinner.”

 

He left as Kyu jong cover his self with blanket.

 

Hyung Jun sighs after he left Kyujong and he saw Jihoo with Jungmin and gave thanks to the opportunity to visit him.

 

“Is there something wrong, Hyung Jun-ssi? You look sad.” Asked Jihoo.

 

“N-nothing, I’m okay Chairman.” But he changed his mind. “Oh y-yeah… sort of…  I can’t tell Hyung that his father was not at Jeju anymore now that he’s suffering like this.” He explains as he exhales.

 

“Jungmin-ssi…” he calls.

 

“Yes, chairman-president?”

 

“Find Kim Nam Gil-ssi for me and get some details why he went out in Jeju.”

 

“Actually, he was been forcefully out in Oedolgae, Jeju Island. Some neighbors saw him dragging out by men in suit.”

 

“Thanks for the info. By the way…” he looks at Hyung Jun, “Don’t tell him that I knew about his father’s situation.”

 

Then he left them.

 

He just shook his head while smiling, “They cannot hide that they are really cousins. Same attitudes. Same thing they want to do to their love ones—hide something not to hurt them, Haishh.”

 

“At this moment I agree with you.” Jungmin says as Hyung Jun thought he was all alone.

 

“Yah! You scare me! Com’n, lead me where I’m going to stay.”

 

“You’re the one who didn’t notice me, pabo!” he smirk, “I hope I scared you to death with this good looking body.” He said while they are following Jihoo to the elevator.

 

“Aigoo! Who said you’re “good looking”?  That? That?” he’s pointing at his slender legs.

“You’re like a skeleton! No, I mean a walking stick!” he teases.

 

“Yah!  You want me to use this slender legs of mine to kick you off so you can go to the elevator as fast as you can!” lifting his legs like acting to kick him.

“Now I know what I’m going to call you.” He smirks.

“What?” he asks.

“MAL! Jung Mal.” then he ran toward to Jihoo before Jungmin realize the word he spurts out then he suddenly chases him as he understood. He immediately became tame when Hyun Jun hide at the back of Jihoo.

 

“Meryeong!” sticking his tongue out while riding the elevator.

 

Jungmin is so disappointed that he can’t hit back to Hyung Jun in front of Jihoo as he enter the elevator. Then suddenly, Jihoo speaks to goad them.

 

“Do whatever you like. Pretend that I’m not here.”

 

An evil smile flashes on Jungmin’s face.

 

“Hyung!?” that’s the only word Hyung Jun calls to him but Jihoo smile back slightly but fades away when he saw a girl standing in front of elevator’s door.

Yoon Jihoo and Jung Oh Hani stared at each other apart before the elevator door closed.

 

One evening of Kyu jong’s rest with Hyung Jun [restaurant at Tokyo Tower]:

 

You change a lot, hyung.”

 

“Neh?” he stopped first before looking at Hyung Jun.

 

“I miss the old Kim Kyu Jong I know.”

 

“I’m still him.”

 

“Yeah right...” he continued eating.

 

“Since when? This week? So sorry about it, I’m just frazzled by work.”

 

“No since your identity revealed.” Hyung Jun pointed out Kyu Jong’s heart, “Since then, your heart fills with anger, jealousy and revenge.”


“He made me like this.”

 

“No. you made yourself like that.”

 

“How can you say that, Jun-ah, you know how hard for us to live!?”

 

“You made it miserable. He also had dilemma like yours… no, it’s worse than yours but look at him.”

 

“Jun, you’re just fascinating by his helping hand but the truth he’s not that kind of person you were thinking. You forgotten how my mom stressed how lucky that spoiled brat he is.”

 

“Maybe you’re right and maybe I’m wrong but I’m more worried in your actions towards to it. If he’s cruel, you’re crueler than him as of now. Kyujong, I met a girl who has lower status than yours but she became friend of F4.”

 

“So what’s her connection into our topic?”

 

“She just show who she is to them and she have their respects. If you just—”

 

“That will not do.”

 

“Why? You didn’t even try. You just fell into your own hypothesis and bring yourself here with anger and you want your brother to get involved into this kind of mess.”

“He’s supporting me.”

 

“…Because he is your only brother.”

 

“I can’t back down anymore. I started this silent war already.”

 

“I wish you awaken to the reality from your fantasy.”

 

“Please, let’s stop this argument. I want to be with you without stress because tomorrow will be the day that I’m preparing for.”

 

“I’m just reminding you. I just don’t like seeing you hurting yourself from the fire that you lit up.”

 

“I’ll be careful, Jun-ah. For now let’s eat.”

-------------     -------------------               --------------------------

December 22, Tuesday: Today is the induction of Cultural Center of Korea at Japan and they are live coverage of one of outstanding TV channel. Many reporters, commoners and elite class are there to be part of the biggest foreign event and Kim Kyu Jong can’t hide his nervous as his hand is sweating even the real show is not yet starting.

 Jihoo went to his side and says, “Calm down… I acknowledge your hardship you put here.”

“Neh, you’re pacifying me? Is that for real?” Kyu Jong sarcastically answered.

“It’s okay if you don’t mind.”

“It’s better to say ‘Job well done’ than that.” Irritated.

“Don’t be too pushy, this event is just starting.”

“You want me to calm down but you still creeps me up... haiissshh! How cruel.”

Jihoo just smiled at him and started to walk with Kyu jong but as the people cheers and give a round of applause to them, he immediately turn left and hide to the crowd as he is planning not to show his self and do not want to expose his identity to all because only few of them knew who’s the chairman is and to others, he is a stranger.

Kyu jong gave signals to start the program to Mr. Shimbo and he immediately asks the PR to roll on. The curtain fell down where big screen set up on the center stage and some dancers perform along with the music. But the most interesting part in the event was all of their viewers, common people and elite ones are on down stage without boundaries!  You can see some high class families were very irritated and or annoyed of what is happening, some were happy joining the others and the commoners were so glad jamming with the music. Jihoo was surprised but pleased of what Kyu jong prepared on that event, even he saw some awkward rapport to some of them with others.

 

I know you did not expect this kind of surprise, Kyu jong thought as he look towards to Jihoo’s place.

Aniyo. I already expecting this but not that much that you do, he thought while looking at Kyu jong.

They like talking far apart while glancing with one another and as the last part of the program continues; one unexpected guest performs in front of them.

While Kyu jong went to the crowd, his surprise guest, Mr. Kim Hyung Jun performs and sings their original group song titled ‘Love ya’.

 

Everyone is amazed by his magical voice and dazzling steps while he sings.

Some girls shriek and shout ‘Banzai!’ as they cheer for him and much more to viewer’s thrill, he shows his cute side and wink at them; Kyu jong just grin as he know Hyung Jun will do that when he gets excited.

On the other hand, Hyung Jun was overwhelm by audience’s response and gives his best more like performing with his band mate.  Thinking of this made his heart cry because every minute of his life, he always misses the times with his friend and singing along with them.

As it ends, the crowd cheers for him and they wait for another performer as Hyun Jun bows  but Kim kyu Jong halts the cheering when he starts to get everyone’s attention while he’s at the back of commoners and elites boundaries. The camera man and also the crowd focus on him as he starts talking using a wireless microphone.

 

“This boundary...” he’s talking to the rope that separates each other, “…represents the hindrance of future.” He slowly unties the rope ends by end, “For people who don’t like to stand up for change means nothing but stagnant water’s vase. That guy performed well on that stage, giving his best to make him worth of it but some of us asking each other ‘who he was’, ‘how can he perform there if he’s unknown in the industry’ --- he already knew those question but he accepts it like  as parts of changes happening to his life.”. Hyun Jun is still standing at the center of the stage, listening.

He stops at the middle of all, “As we enter Japan, we’re only like a rag doll who seeks attention. Difficulties arise as we starts reaching them to communicate~ to reach them out. Some of them were afraid that this company booms and think that we will conquer the traditions that they maintaining and foreigners like us invades their peaceful land.”

 

He look where Jihoo’s standing, “You are wrong~ our goals why we are standing here until now and why we push through this event are because we want to express our gratitude. Yes, we are thankful that we are here in front of you and built this small company with your consent. We promise you that we are going to maintain the essence of culture that you’re taking care of while reaching you to develop everyone’s skills and to be known worldwide ~holding hands with you!” he stretches his arm onwards like reaching the stage—reaching Hyun Jun.

 

“If we don’t start now, When it will be?” he lower his hand and sway his hand near to the rope. He looks at everyone’s eyes near him and smiles as he wants them to realize what sense of untying the rope.  He looks straights at Hyung Jun.

 

He understands Kyu jong so Hyung Jun too held up his hand like reaching him far apart.

 

“You are right…” Mr. Quin said as he gets near the rope. “If they are not around, what makes sense of having a business?” he’s referring to the commoners whose standing beyond the line. He starts to untie one of the ropes; some commoners and elite family realize the essence of what they hear and started to help others. Kyu Jong and Jihoo are very pleases of what is happening right now and Kyu looks at Jihoo with pride.

 

That’s a good start Kyujong-ssi, Jihoo thought as he’s looking at the event far from them; he walks away and went to the lounge. He doesn’t want to recognize who he is because Jihoo wants the company recognized by his excellent employers like Kyujong, not being a member of elite families and linked for being famous F4. Kyu Jong continues walking towards the stage as he reaches Hyun Jun’s hand.

 

“Chukkhaeyo, chingu!” he smiles at Kyu Jong while holding his hand to get him up on the stage.

 

“Let’s be like this forever...” He did not let go Hyung Jun’s hand.

 “…Supporting one another.”

He smiles, face the crowd, held Hyung Jun’s hand ups and bow with modest and the party continues.

 As Jihoo was walking at the lounge to meet the Japanese businessmen on the banquet hall, he felt dizzy and almost fell down.

 He can’t breathe easily and his visions become hazy.

Jihoo can’t think clearly and try to find anything to grip on.