Success in Deceit

Seeking for Certainty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun was smiling to himself as he cooked breakfast. Just when he had finished preparing, his phone started ringing but as he looked at the caller ID, he needed to make sure no one was listening before taking the call. He breathed deeply before answering.

“Soojung,” he whispered her name.

“Sehun,” said the other line. “Sehun, we need to talk.”

“Hmmm,” Sehun hummed and nodded. “I know.”

“Is today okay?” Soojung asked.

“Sure,” he merely replied.

“Then see you at our favourite café,” she said before they bid goodbye at each other over the phone.

With a sigh, Sehun walked towards the bed where a girl was sleeping soundly. Half of her body was covered by the sheets and her hair was the beautiful kind of messy as it was sprawled over her pillow. The rays of the sun that shone on the girl’s face just added radiance to her milky skin. He found himself smiling as he stared at the beauty in front of him. Carefully, he tucked some stray strands of her hair behind her ear which caused the girl to stir.

Suzy’s eyes fluttered open and a smile instantly formed on her lips as Sehun’s face welcomed her sight. Sleepily, she said, “Good morning.”

Sehun just smiled some more and told her, “Breakfast’s ready.”

“Hmmm,” she nodded but Suzy’s eyes then started closing again.

The male shook his head and without warning, he carried Suzy the bridal way causing the girl to completely gather all her senses. Instinctively, she wrapped her arms on his neck but instead of complaining at the sudden act, Suzy instead enjoyed the way the male pampered her. She giggled as he carefully sat her at the dining table; he served her lots of food as they proceeded on breakfast.

“I’m going out today,” Sehun informed her.

She nonchalantly asked, “Where?”

The lying then came out natural as he said, “I’m going to meet some high school friends.”

“Okay,” Suzy smiled and nodded.

She then drove Sehun away from the kitchen as she insisted that she would do the cleaning alone and the male could instead prepare himself. She was almost finished washing the dishes when Sehun s his arms on her waist and put his chin on her shoulder, giving her a back hug. Suzy smiled as she could smell his after-shower scent which she found masculine but neat. The male said nothing and just kept on embracing her.

“Yah. Your friend could get angry if you’d not let go of me anytime soon,” Suzy told him.

The way Suzy phrased her words took Sehun aback, making him seriously stare at the girl but then Suzy chuckled and added, “Go or else you’d run late.”

Sehun smiled in relief and pecked her neck before laying his head back to her shoulder once more. He cuddled her tighter as he said, “Just give me more time – more time to be like this with you.”

 

 

Soojung waved at him as he entered the café and Sehun noticed how genuine smiles on the girl’s lips and how the light in her eyes came back, indicating a good sign. With a beam of his own, he walked towards her and he wasn’t surprised that Soojung have already ordered for him. Before anything else, they were best friends for years – of course she would know what he wanted.

“How are you?” Sehun asked.

A giggle escaped her lips and a blush crept up to her cheeks as she mumbled, “I’ve never been better.”

“So you and Myungsoo are doing well now, huh,” Sehun commented, feeling genuinely happy for Soojung.

“Hmmm,” Soojung nodded. “He’s treating me like a wife and he promised not to leave me too.”

“Hmm,” Sehun nodded with a hum. But then, the girl flinched when he asked, “What about your pregnancy?”

She sighed as she hesitated but she trusted Sehun so much that she was willing to tell him her every plan and every move that she made. She then confessed, “I… I… I staged a car accident and faked the miscarriage.”

“Soojung!” Sehun’s voice croaked.

“What do you want me to do?!” Soojung retorted with the same ferocity. “Tell him that I’m faking it? That would make him hate me, Sehun! It’s the only thing that I could think of in order to get out of the lie I’ve been living with!”

“You think that got you out of your lies?!” Sehun sternly said. “You’ve just made up another lie, Soojung.”

“But it made him stay! It made him, stay, okay? He was finally giving me the love and care that I’ve always wanted!” Soojung reasoned out as she stared at Sehun’s eyes and the male saw the despair in her gaze.

“Urgh,” Sehun grunted as he buried his face in his hands. He wanted to cry for all the frustrations that were bursting in his chest. He knew that they would continue lying because they would lose the kind of life they were in if they were discovered. He didn’t want both scenarios but they had to choose which was lesser between the two evils.

“How about you?” Soojung asked after a long silence. “How are you, Sehun?”

Sehun was more than hesitant and it showed through the way his fingers tapped on the table and the way his gaze was fixed on his hand. By the way his mannerisms showed, Soojung knew that he was hiding something from her.

“Sehun,” she uttered his name, demanding for an explanation.

“I’m dating Suzy,” he confessed.

“Really?” Soojung beamed but something in her smile seemed off to Sehun. She asked, “And how long have you been dating her?”

“More than three months,” Sehun replied, observing her.

“Everything’s happening according to our plan,” Soojung whispered with a grin quickly forming on her lips. “We’ve successfully made it, Sehun.”

“You’re already living well, Soojung,” Sehun said and his gaze softened. “Let’s leave it like that.”

“What do you mean?” Soojung spat out as her brows became knitted in confusion.

“You’re happy. Myungsoo’s happy with you. Can’t you give Suzy her happiness too?” Sehun asked and there was plead in his eyes.

“Her happiness?” Soojung scoffed. “Who’s her happiness? You?”

Sehun did not answer but his facial expression triggered a fear in Soojung.

“No, Sehun,” Soojung slowly shook her head. “You promised me.”

“Soojung, you already have Myungsoo. We already broke them apart,” Sehun argued but with a soft voice as he tried his best not to make Soojung any madder. He sighed, “She already suffered enough from losing Myungsoo.”

Sehun watched as Soojung’s whole body started stiffening. Her fists balled on the table and her jaw clenched. He tried to reach for her hand but she shoved his hand away. She glared at him and even her gaze seemed tense in anger.

“But you promised, Sehun!” Soojung yelled. “You promised to break her heart! You promised to let her know how I felt!”

Now, they were starting to gather the attention of the people in the café but Sehun less cared about that. He couldn’t argue any further because Soojung then started hyperventilating. Wasting no time, he almost jumped off from his seat and moved towards her, hugging her closer as he told her to breathe. He was starting to panic but he silently prayed that her situation right now would not get any worse. To his relief, Soojung’s body in his arms started relaxing as the girl took slow but steady breaths.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter