That Spectacular Night

Seeking for Certainty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Can we pretend that we’re still together and we’re still in love?”

As soon as Suzy heard those words, she bit her lower lip. She wanted to say ‘yes’ right away but her mind now had a better grip of the consequences so she mumbled, “You’re crazy.”

“For you, I am,” Myungsoo retorted.

“Someone might see us,” Suzy tried to argue but didn’t try to escape from his grasp. “There are many reporters here.”

“They’re all inside. No one would see us,” Myungsoo argued back. He then broke the hug but still held her shoulders as he looked onto her eyes and said, “Let’s enjoy this night as if we have every right to be together and to be in love. Let’s spend the next hours not thinking about anything or anyone else. Let’s act like nothing matters in this world but us.”

The happiness and the hope that shone in Myungsoo’s eyes made everything difficult for Suzy especially when those orbs shouted plead as he whispered, “Give me this one last wish, please?”

With a small smile, she nodded and the next thing she knew, they were running – running away from everything that prevented them to be together.

 

 

The only lights that illuminated the place came from the runway but Soojung didn’t fail to notice how Suzy exited the place and was then followed by Myungsoo minutes later. She was already expecting this situation for all throughout night, her eyes were only on the two, waiting and looking for the next moves they would take. When she saw how much they rightfully belonged in each other’s arms during the dance, she knew that she had to act fast before everything falls apart for her.

She chewed on her lower lip as she rushed to catch her husband but then her steps halted when she met Jessica at the door. A smirk instantly played on the latter’s lips as she told her, “Where are you going? The party’s not over yet.”

“R-Restroom,” Soojung stuttered.

“Restroom’s inside,” Jessica retorted.

“Then where have you been?” Soojung asked.

Jessica smiled and answered, “I needed to take a call so I looked for a place where it’s less noisy.”

“Then I’m looking for that place too,” Soojung replied and was about to walk away from her sister.

But then, Jessica scoffed and said, “I saw Myungsoo.”

At that statement, Soojung turned back to her sister and asked, “Where is he?”

After confirming that Myungsoo was again the cause of the girl’s anxiety, Jessica chuckled, walked slowly to Soojung and whispered, “With Suzy of course.”

Soojung bit her lip so hard, it almost bled. Her fists were balled and the tension showed through the rigidity of her body. She was so infuriated at her sister that she spat out, “If Myungsoo doesn’t come back to me… you’re going to pay for this.”

The smug smile that hung on Jessica’s lips slowly melted and her gaze on her sister turned sharp. She walked closer towards her, so close that they could already feel each other’s breath. Jessica then uttered, “Try. Just try and you’d let not just our parents but the whole world know how crazy you are.”

Jessica’s eyes then flashed concern as she stared at her younger sister. She sighed before saying, “Soojung, you could honestly be so much better… if you could just stop chasing the man who would never love you back.”

“No!” Soojung firmly replied, almost shouting at her sister. Breathing heavily she argued, “If it’s not Myungsoo, then it wouldn’t work. I don’t want anyone but Myungsoo… So tell me now. Tell me where they are.”

Jessica rolled her eyes and huffed with frustration. Soojung was too stubborn for her to handle. Giving up, she turned and was about to walk away, intending to leave Soojung’s question unanswered but then, Soojung shouted, “Sooyeon unni!”

“In the garden!” Jessica answered in the same manner. She did not even bother flashing a wicked smile as she added, “But I’m betting that those two would have run away by now. Go on and see for yourself.”

Without saying goodbye, Soojung started running away. That cold night, beads of sweat were already trickling down her face because of tiredness but no matter how hard she searched for, she could no longer find the two. Finding herself alone in the garden, she felt frustration boiling in her veins. She then burrowed her nails on her palms as she clenched her fists and started yelling at the top of her lungs.

 

 

Myungsoo’s one hand was on the steering wheel while the other clasped Suzy’s hand. When he first held her hand again, Suzy widened her eyes and looked at him but when he just smiled, she knew that he wasn’t kidding about his idea. He meant to be freely with her at least for one night.

And she let him be.

She let him be because when she felt his palm pressed against hers, it sent those familiar tingles in her heart and she realized how she still loved how his hand would softly brushed against hers before their fingers get entangled together. She savoured the feeling of how each time they held hands, it seemed like Myungsoo was filling her gaps.

“So how’s work?” he asked, breaking the silence.

Suzy then laughed because she realized how she also missed these petty little conversations. Myungsoo then admired the smile that he hasn’t seen for so long.

Every time I see you, I see you cry, he thought sadly.

“I experienced how to be a model,” she replied.

“I saw them,” he nodded.

“Did I look good?”

The confidence to make the conversation go smooth came naturally after Suzy had convinced her mind that she’d be carefree at least for one night. Myungsoo glanced at her and with a beam, he answered, “Of course, you do look good.”

But after a hum, he added, “But you’re still better when you’re the one behind the cameras.”

“I thought so too,” she chuckled with him. Sighing, she looked outside the window and asked, “Where are we going?”

With another smile, Myungsoo answered, “To our world.”

He refused to bring her to an arcade where they could get souvenirs because they agreed that this night should be just kept in their memories. So they spent their money on things that they could enjoy but would not last: food. Even with fancy clothes on, they dared to walk around the night market, trying on different food, just like how they did back in college. It was nostalgic to see their favourite shops and if they had more time, they would have eaten there too, but Myungsoo wanted to manage their time wisely so they dug on foods in sticks. Occasionally, they would feed each other and Myungsoo would then brush his thumb on her lips whenever he spotted some sauce spilling on them.

“Why do you eat so dirtily when your outside?” he scolded her.

“I can’t help it,” she argued with full making Myungsoo chuckle at her cuteness. After gulping, she added, “The food seems to be better when there’s a lot of sauce in it, you know.”

“You look like you haven’t eaten for a year,” he told her as the girl kept munching for more.

“I needed to be on a diet or else your sister-in-law – “ Suzy stopped mid-sentence when she realized that she have touched a taboo topic. Quickly dismissing it, she rephrased, “I… I tried my best to eat less so that I can avoid Jessica’s wrath. She’s picky when it comes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter