Lost Without You

The Long Way Home {Complete}

Hebe looked at the window.The dark clouds are gathering and it seems the rain is coming soon.There is a typhoon on the forecast.The trees swayed with the strong wind as Hebe don her hoodie over her printed blouse.She was wearing a jeans and a sneaker.She decide to called in sick from work today to check on her friend,after a phone call from Mama and Selina's Mom yesterday.Both of them voicing their concern about Jiro and the baby.

It took almost an hour before Hebe finally arrived at Jiro's house.The house was eerily quiet.She rang the doorbell as the maid let her in the house.It seems that nobody is home.Jiro is still in the room and might be still sleeping.They are not allowed to disturbed him per Jiro's instruction.The maid has been with Selina and Jiro and has quite known Hebe as she allowed her to move around the house.

Hebe went to the nursery and found the baby sleeping.The Nanny  sitting on the rocking chair obviously tired and sleepy after last night.Jeremy is sleeping quietly totally unaware of his sorroundings,as Hebe stared at the baby.The baby looks like Jiro.The eyes the nose and the pouty lips.The cheeks pink and full of life.Her feelings swelled at the sight of the baby.Losing a parents when she was on her teen is tough and losing a Mother at birth is even tougher,as tears found a way in her eyes.

"How is the baby ?" as she turned at the baby sitter.

"He is alright but have been up all night last night." she answered.

"Did his Dad ever come here to see the baby?" Hebe asked.

"No,he never even checked up on him.Only Mam Ren checked on the baby everyday and Mama,Jiro's Mom called and checked up on him always ." she answered.

"You obviously looked tired,why don't you ran along and rest. I'll watch the baby for now." Hebe said.

"Thank you Mam ,it is really tiring to care the baby by myself and I am thinking of talking to Sir but we are unable to talk to him at all lately." she said."I am thinking of visiting my family and if not quitting all together.My own Father is sick and has been asking for me."

"I am sorry to hear that.Don't worry I'll try talking to him but please don't leave right now,the baby needs you." Hebe said.

The Nanny looked at Hebe with concern."I know.I am worried about the baby too.But I don't know." she answered.

"Why don't you go and rest now,and we'll try to solve the problem later" Hebe said.

Hebe went back and looked at the baby as he started to stir.It must be almost feeding time as she tried to look for formula and diaper and wipes for the baby before Jeremy fully wake up.

Jiro woke up.He was unable to sleep last night. Memories of Selina filled his mind and thoughts.He keeps blaming himself for losing her.How come she never told him?Is having a baby that important to her?The past few days has been a blur for him.Too many people coming around to console and comfort him and Selina's family.But nothing can quenched his lost for Selina.He could not even bear to look at the baby,knowing that it cost Selina's life to bore him.And guilt added to guilt as he felt miserable ,as he drank to his lost and guilt feelings.Alcohol is his most constant companion recently.

He had such a headache today and he felt it more when he got up.He went to the bathroom as he tried looking for an Aspirin or Tylenol to cure his banging head.He  found an Aspirin in the medicine cabinet as he stared at himself in the mirror.He is without a shirt with only the pajama bottom.He looked like a mess as he stared at himself.He was unshaven his,hair is all over the place, and his eyes is deep without life,cheeks is pale and hollow

Looking at himself,he has come to a realization that he is lost without Selina in his life.She needs her in his life ,as he cried to himself,feeling tha pain of his lost.But Selina is gone for good for now,and he is still here with a baby to care for and who depended on him.

And then he heard the baby cried.It seems for weeks,this is the first time that he heard his baby cried,as he staggered to the bedroom to put on a shirt and went to see the baby in the nursery , for the first time after losing Selina.He can still remembere her words, to take care and love their baby for he is her gift to him and how he should treasure him.Now it is just the two of them to brave this harsh world...

The baby stopped crying by the time Jiro reached the baby's bedroom.He opened the door and was surprised to see Hebe holding the baby in the rockig the chair ,as she was feeding him.The sight of Hebe and the baby touched something in his heart.

"Hebe....I didn't know you were here?" Jiro asked.

"I came this morning." Hebe answered as she stared at his sight,her friend looking like a mess.

Jiro noticed the way she looked at him ,and noted her disapproval."You don't have to look at me that way." Jiro said with a note of irritation."If you come here to say or preach something,I am not in the mood."

"I didn't say anything.I hope you know what you are doing.You have the right to grieve as much as you want to,and as long as you want to but not to the expense of baby's welfare." Hebe said."He is all you got right now."

"As you can see,I am managing quite well.I don't need you or anybody to tell me what to do with my baby." Jiro said."Where is the Nanny?"

"I told her to rest.She was quite tired from last night." Hebe said."I told her to rest for now.It is quite demanding to care for the baby by one person ."

"I know,you don't have to tell me." Jiro said.

Hebe finished feeding as she burped the baby before putting the baby back to the crib as he went back to sleep.Jiro stayed in the room with Hebe ,looking at her and the baby.he noticed the ease the way she hold and took care of the baby.

"Jiro we have to talk." Hebe said.as she walked from the nursery to the living room.Jiro followed Hebe." I don't want to break it of to you,But you are going to have a problem."

"What about?" Jiro asked.

"The Nanny is telling me that she is planning to quit or go home because her Father is sick." Hebe said.

"She never told me." Jiro said."How come I am always the last one to know."

Hebe shook her head."She just told me now herself." Hebe said."I think you have to find a replacement soon,cause she is really determined to go,even for a visit."

"But where will I find a replacement at this time? The baby is so used to her." Jiro said"And Mama and Selina's Mom i don't think they can handle the baby at this time full time."

"I know,so you have to start looking now." Hebe said."And please start fixing yourself.You look like a mess. Did you go back to work yet?"

Jiro shook his head."I am not ready yet.They understand.I don't feel like..." he said.

"Jiro you have to pull yourself. I hate to say it but your in laws might be understanding of you now but not for long.They also lost their daughter but they have moved on.You have to start living and you have to start working back again." Hebe said."Mama is getting worried about you too,so get your act together."

Jiro did not say anything...but look outside the window and started thinking it alll.....But he does not know where to start....

"I think I have said my piece.I 'll be in the nursery to watch the baby." Hebe said as she walked back to the nursery.

Jiro was quiet and...then...."Hebe will you help me,help me get back on my feet again." he said.

Hebe stopped and looked back at her friend in tears,and her heart aches seeing him like this,seeing him so lost.She went back to him as she put her hand and his shoulder."You know I am always behind you.Remember,I am your friend.This is Hebe." she said.

"I am glad I have you.I am always glad that I always have you with me." as Jiro took her in his arms,as they hugged each other.