Math is the Worst

Home Sick
5 Math is the Worst 
 

"Math. This class should be easy since math is pretty much the same throughout the world." I say to myself, prepping myself up that I will show the class I am smart. I'm not any cowgirl- wait. I'm not even a cowgirl. What am I talking about? A male teacher walks in; he has broad shoulders and wore a stern face. He observes me for a second causing me to flinch.

"Suzy. Who is he?"

"That's Ok Taecyeon. He may seem scary, but in all reality, he's probably the nicest teacher here! And to point out, he's actually... really young to be a teacher. He got out of college last year; he got a phD. Hence why he's working at a school like ours." Suzy whispers. I look at him and nod. This class shouldn't be so bad.

"New student, what is your name?"

"Sunny. Er, I mean Oh Sunny." I feel my face heat up out of embarassment and look down.

"Seongsangnim, she's from Texas!" A student who sits at the front points out. He looks at me with a childish grin and sticks his thumbs up.

"Oh Texas! Do you ride horses there?" I look at him blankly; even a teacher asked if I ride horses to school... "I'm kidding. Where in Texas?"

"Austin."

"Beautiful place! Keep Austin Weird, right?" He grins like a child, making me forget he was a teacher in the first place.

"Yes! Haha, yes!" He nods and walks to the front of the class. We start class hitting College Algebra hard. The only person in class who obviously kept up was no one else but Suzy. 

"Okay! So, what do you do with this equation? Suzy?" He points at Suzy waiting for an answer.

"Easy. All you have to do is get x by itself. By doing that, you want to to divide the number out of the paranthesis so you can get r+c by itself. You do the same thing with the other equation. From that point you're left with 40=r+c. You want to use the elimination method, also known as addition method, and put the two equations together-" She keeps instructing the teacher what to do on the board with the rest of the class staring in awe.

"I'm telling you. She's a genius." Chen shakes his head. "That's why I always sit next to her. I can cheat!" He gives me a thumbs up and a I let out a soft laugh.

"Perfect Suzy! Okay, for this packet I'm passing out, I'm going to need you to work in groups. The max is five. Alright? Go!" He sits at the desk at the front and starts grading papers. I end up being a group with Suzy, Chanyeol, D.O, and myself. Baekhyun paired up with Chen, of course, and Suho and Luhan.

"Wow. I've never had a teacher who gave me 100 problems. In my life. I don't think I've even taken a test that had 100 problems." I stare at the packet and observe the thick stack of papers. 

"Well, the first problem is easy; thank goodness!" Suzy exclaims, pointing it out to everyone in the group. "All we have to do is use the substitution method."

"How do we do that?" Chanyeol asks, his eyes filled with worriedness.

"Uh, you get one of the variables by itself." I say.

"And how do we do that?" Chanyeol asks again.

"Um... you would subract the number and then divide to get the variable by itself." I start to feel concerned for Chanyeol.

"Subtract the number first?" He asks, his hand begins to shake out of nervousness. Suzy holds Chanyeol's shaking hand and smiles at him. 

"Channie." Chanyeol's face turns tomato red and looks up gingerly to look at Suzy in the eyes. "It's ok. I'll help you." She flutters her eyes and lets go of his hand. "Sunny, you and D.O can go ahead and do the other problems. I don't want you to wait on us." She smiles at the both of us and nods her head. "It's okay Chanyeol, we can finish together after school."

I look over to see D.O staring at the two doing their work. 

"D.O?" He looks up at me with a blank face. I wish I could read his face, but there's literally nothing but 'I'm dead' written all over his face. "Are you ready to- the heck D.O? What have you been doing this whole time? How are you already on the third page?" He literally finished the first two pages with work shown. He pushes his packet towards me basically telling me to copy off of him. "I can't copy off you." I look at him with a concern look. He shakes his head and rests his head on the desk.

"Just use my paper when you're stuck." He murmers, almost unaudible.

"Hey you guys." Suho asks with Luhan as they tower over us with a huge grin on their faces. "So, there's going to be a concert for the school next week. Are any of you guys interested in auditioning?" I look at everyone in my group; D.O still has his head plastered on the desk, but Suzy and Chanyeol stop for a moment. 

"Audition?" She asks.

"Yeah! You can sing, dance, perform a comedy skit-"

"Comedy skit?" Baekhyun interrupts and sits on Suzy's desk. He looks at Chanyeol and gives him a cheeky grin. "I'm in, how about you Chanyeol?"

"Who can try out?" I ask, now wondering who in class would try out.

"Anyone really. Well, anyone from the school. And the concert is open for anyone, even music company recruiters! Like JYP, SM, 1toK, you call it!" Luhan shakes his pointer finger in the air.

"Count me in. I'll try out." Suzy laughs. "I'll sing!"

"You can sing?" Baekhyun asks. "Why didn't I know that?! I've never heard you sing before!"

"She sings like..." D.O's words trails off and he faces his head towards me. 

"She sings like what?" I ask.

"An angel." 

"How do you know, D.O? Did you happen to stalk her?" Baekhyun accuses D.O and points at him angrily.

"No." Baekhyun calmed down right away and smiled. 

"That's good to hear."

"Hey, D.O, why don't you try out?" Suho suggests causing everyone to pay attention to a dead D.O.

"I have no talent."

"I bet you do. I bet you have a secret talent that no one knows about."

"I don't like loud noises; so, why would I sing at a concert? Do you think I would even want to try and dance or perform a comedy skit? I don' think so. I'm not interested." D.O buries his face in his arms.

"Sorry that I even suggested." Suho and Luhan look at each other and their heel towards Kai's group. I rest my hand on D.O's back and rub his back.

"Are you ok?" I say in a soft tone. He doesn't budge. I look at Suzy and see that she's working with Chanyeol again. "Are you hungry?" D.O popped his head up with wide eyes.

"Do you have food?" he asks in a panicked tone.

"I have a sandwich..."

"I'll take it! Where is it?" 

"It's in my locker..."

"What's the number? What's the combination?" He stands up, his hands placed on the desk. "I'M SO HUNGRY, I FEEL LIKE I'M ABOUT TO DIE."

"Um... 312, 24-27-36." Next thing I knew, D.O stormed out of the room in a jiffy. 

                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 
I guess D.O cannot interact with people without food. ;)