Baby Business, Part 4: D.O and Baekhyun

Home Sick
16 Baby Business, Part 4: D.O and Baekhyun

D.O's POV, Day One:

"Do Kyungsoo and Byun Baekhyun!" I hear a deep gasp from almost half of the class. Yes. I get it. I'm quiet, and obviously more sane, and I'm partnered up with this rambunctious, loud kid I call my friend. Yeah he's my friend, but from my point of view, our project is not going to go well. I guess part of the reason why I'm torned up over this is because I initially wanted to be with Sunny. I feel more comfortable with her; I mean, I would be fine with Chanyeol, too. Heck, I'd be fine with Baekhyun, but it's just the fact that something in me really wanted to be paired up with Sunny. Maybe it's because she's a girl, and this is a parenting project. And she would be a perfect mom! Wait. That's weird to say. Ugh! I shake my head, trying to erase of what I have thought just a second ago. 

"You're having a baby boy." Sungsaengnim presents the cart full of babies with a wave of his hand. 

"Can I pick?" Baekhyun looks at me, awaiting my permission. Why is he asking me? I really don't mind what baby he picks. I give him a slight nod and he swipes the baby on the far end. 

"Name?" Sungsaengnim taps his pencil on his desk waiting for an answer.

"How about... uh." Baekhyun eyebrows furrows causing little wrinkles to form on his forehead. He's obviously thinking hard. "What's your favorite song?"

"Um, Billionaire by Travie McCoy."

"Oh! The one with Bruno Mars?" I give a small nod.

"Our kid's name is Bruno!" Bruno? Okay, like I care. But I kinda do. Eh, it's whatever.

"Bruno it is!" We walk back to our desks when suddenly Baekhyun sits in Sunny's desk with the baby. Why is he sitting there?

"What are you doing?"

"I'm sitting next to you, D.O. That's what I'm doing! I didn't think you hated me! I thought we were friends!" Baekhyun accuses with a quick intake of air.

"No! That's not what I meant! I meant... why are you sitting in Sunny's desk?"

"... because we're suppose to sit next to each other because we're partners. Sunny is obviously not sitting here." Baekhyun stresses the word 'sitting' with a confused look. I look over to my right to see Sunny and Sehun on the opposite side of the room. I see her groaning with her head plastered on the desk. I wonder if she's upset with being partnered up with Sehun. Maybe she wanted to be with me?-

"Ya!" Baekhyun interrupts my gaze by waving the baby in front of my face. I shoot him a cold look, my eyes widening. "Stop doing that." Baekhyun places his hands on my eyes; quickly, I take his hands off. "You're really scary when you make your eyes big. I get shivers." 

This is going to be a long week.

Baekhyun's POV, Day Two:

This is really frustrating. I don't think D.O wants to be with me! Doesn't he care about my feelings? He's always too silent. I feel like a single parent; taking care of the child all by myself... poor Bruno. All D.O ever does is neglect the poor thing! 

"D.O." I attempt to distract D.O as he intensely plays Grand Theft Auto 5 on my Playstation 4. "Ya!!" He doesn't budge, his eyes still trained on the screen. , what do I have to do to get his attention? "OH NO! I FEEL SICK. KKAEBSONG." I place my hands on my stomach, hunching over and in "pain."

"Here." D.O hands me the trashcan that's next to the coffee table and continues to play on the PS4.

"You're rude. Ice cold rude. ." I purposely add a derrogatory term hoping he would pay attention to me for once. But no, the kid keeps playing. Ugh! I have enough of this kid. "You're watching the baby. I'm leaving." I get up from the sofa and head towards to the door. I stop at the door, hoping D.O would say, "NO! Baekhyun! Please don't go!" 

"Have fun!" D.O pauses the game and gives me a slight nod. That usual nod he does. It's quick, but lets you know he's acknowledging you. It's somewhat comforting.


"Heya, Sunny!" I walk into their dorm, surprised that the door was even unlocked. Sunny sits up straight the couch, startled at my sudden presence. "The door was unlocked." I sctrach my head and sit next to her on the sofa.

"What's up?" She lowers the volume on the tv and gives me her full attention. This is what D.O needs to do. He needs to be like Sunny and give me all his attention.

"D.O is ignoring me. I feel like he's ignoring me. He's neglecting our family! And it's really pissing me off." I cross my arms, feeling my hands form fists. Sunny begins to laugh at me, simply patting on my shoulder.

"Baekhyun. This is just a project. Don't get too far ahead of yourself." She's right. I need to remember that.

"Hey, where's Suzy by the way?"

"Suzy?" Her face drains out of color and lets out a loud gasp. "Oh! I think you better leave." Suzy pulls me off the couch, dragging me towards the door. She wears an ashamed look shaking her head in discomfort. Suddenly, the door to their bathroom opens and steam begins to file out. A slender body steps out with a towel wrapped around a thin, porcelain body. I look up from the bottom up, suddenly catching eyes staring back at me with confusion.

"Baekkie? What are you doing here?" I feel my head become light headed. Oh no, please. NO nosebleed. Please.

"Baekhyun. You're-" I cut off Sunny with a nudge in her stomach. I begin to feel like I'm floating, then with black spots taking over my vision. I'm about to-


*bzzzzz* 

Ugh. Phone. Shut. Up. I roll around in a fluffy bed, searching for my phone with my eyes squeezed shut. Where's that phone. Whoever's texting me. Stop. Texting. I open my eyes slowly, my eyes adjusting to the bright room. It's all to blurry to see correctly, but I do find the annoying, ear-splitting phone by the guide of the ringtone. The phone's screen is brightly lit, causing me to surrender back to my eyes closed. I open them again and force my eyes to readjust. Why is my screen a picture of Suzy and Sunny? I don't remember them being my wallpaper... I open the voicemail to listen to whoever was calling. 

"Um. Hi Sunny. It's D.O. I was just wondering if you were busy tonight, but. I mean if you are, then that's fine! We can just hang out some other time. Ah. As friends! Hah. Okay. Goodbye." Wait a minute. This isn't my phone. Wait. If this isn't my phone, then. I hastily sit up to see myself sitting on Sunny's bed on the second floor of the room. Crap. Did. Did I do something.. Did I?!

"Baekkie! Are you alright now??" Suzy calls from down below, coming up the spiraled stairs to sit next to me on Sunny's bed. Why am I in Sunny's bed? "You look confused."

"I am."

"Well. You passed out after having a bloody nose. But when you woke up a few minutes after,you were completely lost; so, Sunny told you just to go to sleep. And that's why you're in her bed." Oh... so that's why. It wasn't . Heh. "Water?" She hands me a cup and watches me with a reassuring look. I drink the water slowly, letting the cold water slide off the cup. I feel tingles go down my chest as I wipe the remains off my lips.

"Where is Sunny?"

"She's with Sehun right now."

"Oh." I sit on the bed, tapping my chin thinking of what to say. "Do... you perhaps want to go out to get a drink? Or, just a walk." Suzy looks at me with her big brown eyes, her corners of pulling back.

"You're going to take me out?"

"Neh. I'll take you out."

"Okay. That sounds good. Lets get a drink and then walk around!" She hops off the bed and runs down the stairs to find a jacket. I feel a swarm of butterflies form in the pit of my stomach making my hand clutch the effected area.


"Hah, okay then. Would you rather... be smart, but have no beauty, or be beautiful but have no smarts?" I ask, walking together in the park with our drinks in our hand.

"Oh... I would be rather smart. Because by being smart, maybe I could do something great. Like, finding a cure to something or finding out how to make something go faster than the speed of light. I would be known for that, but for beauty, people would only know my beauty, and the ideal type for beauty changes over time. Beauty is temporary, smarts is long lasting." This girl is amazing. I would have never thought of that. I feel my cheeks burn in the cold air as I think about her response.

"Well, luckily for you... you're smart and beautiful." I accidentally say, consequently biting my tongue in punishment. Why did you say that? Byun Baekhyun... how dare you. This is not the time to do this sort of thing. This girl isn't like any girl you have ever met. This girl is different; she makes me feel estatic whenever I'm with her or just the thought of her does that. I feel like I'm on new territory whenever I talk to her. She makes me want to laugh, and I think it's because I'm nervous. Not only that, I always want to appear that I'm not just that silly, prankster in class. I want to impress her. Heck, I admit. I do like her. I mean, I like other girls, too. But Suzy? She's different. She tops all the other girls off. Maybe... maybe that's why I had the urge to end things with that girl last week. Suzy, just the thought of her, makes me do things I normally don't. She doesn't reply, causing me to panic a bit. Oh god. Is this a sign of turning me down? I feel my chest tighten just the thought of Suzy rejecting my feelings for her. 

"Thank you, Baekkie. I wish other people thought about me that way. Most people think I'm stupid." Suzy confesses, staring at her feet as we walk. It's true. People do think she's stupid just because the way she talks and how oblivious she is to things. She's always cheerful and she can be so gullible sometimes; so, I can see why people in class thinks she's stupid. 

"Does it bother you sometimes?"

'Yeah, it does. But I try not to let it get to me. I rather keep a smile on and live on with my life. Why should I sit around and dwell on what other people think about me? That doesn't sound fun at all." 

"Hah. You're really amazing, Suzy. Everything you say. It's..." I can't think of a word for her. She finally looks up and watches my face as I search for a word. I feel my cheeks sting again in the cold air. "You're pretty undescribable, Suzy. I can't find a word for you."

"I'll take that as a compliment." She takes a hold of my arm and rests her head on my shoulder. She lets go and places her hands in her pockets, beginning to take off running without me.

"What are you doing?" I begin to run after her, feeling my legs clench everytime my foot places itself on the ground.

"Come on!" She runs towards the playground and heads for the stairs. She stands at the top of the playground next to the slide. "Baekkie! Get up here!" She yells from above. I shake my head, laughing silently at her.

"Kkaebsong. That's really far up, and you just made me run in the cold! I think my legs are going to die." 

"Baekkieeee." She pouts . "Come on! Please hurry up." I reach the top standing next to her and resting my head on the cold bar that divides the tower with the slide.

"What are we doing up here?" Suddenly, the world around me begins to tilt, then I feel a pang of pain pound through my back, finding Suzy pushed up against me. We're laying on the tower staring up at the sky. "What-"

"Shhhhhh! There's a cop! Be quiet." We lay silently, staring up into the sky. I feel the warmth of her skin pass through me, making my hairs stand up. Even though we're hiding from this cop, just laying with her staring at the sky... is a wonderful feeling. 

D.O's POV, Day Four:

I wonder if I'll see Sunny today. I haven't seen her in awhile. I've called her every night to hang out, but Sehun usually is there with her by the time I ask. I tried again today, but once again. I hear that wistful voice of her turning down my proposal. Maybe tomorrow we'll finally get to hang out.

"What's wrong D.O?" Chanyeol asks as he changes out of his uniform into casual clothes. I look at him, expressionless. I don't know. I really don't know. "D.O." His voice is muffled as he takes off his shirt.

"I don't know, Chanyeol." 

"Okay. Just trying to help out. Hey, I'm  about to leave. Xiumin and I are going to hang out. Do you want to tag along? We're going to the arcade." Arcade? Sure why not. This should take care of my morose feelings.


"D.O. Let's play this!" Chanyeol pulls me by the sleeve, leading me up to a karaoke machine. Karaoke? That has to do with... singing. And, I don't sing. 

"I don't sing."

"It's okay! You don't have to sing because you can't!" Chanyeol playfully pushes me. I feel my stomach growl. I can't sing, and I'm even a worse singer when I'm hungry.

"I'm hungry though." I say in a timid voice.

"I'll buy us some food!" Xiumin proposes. He bows his head and runs off towards the cafeteria.

"I like that kid. He's pretty cool." Chanyeol looks over at Xiumin in grins with almost all his teeth showing. In reply, I only nod my head and smile. Xiumin comes back with mini burgers and fries with three sodas. I eat my meal in silence listening to Chanyeol boast about how great he is on the Mortal Kombat machine. Xiumin only smiles, his eyes squinting as he agrees and laughs at Chanyeol's remarks. 

"So. D.O. Can you sing now?" Chanyeol nudges me with his elbow, poking me on my side. 

"I really don't want to sing, Chanyeol."

"Come on! I bet you're some sort of prodigy!" Prodigy? Me? Singing? No. That's too funny! I just laugh at him and shake my head in disapproval. "Well, if you're not going to sing, then Xiumin and I will!" Xiumin's eyes almost pop out and shock, pointing at himself in confusion. 

"I'd like to see that." I smirk at Chanyeol, secretly happy that I won't have to sing. We throw away our food and walk up to the karaoke machine side-by-side. We stand in front of it staring at the bright lit up screen with animations dancing across the screen. Karaoke. Seriously.

"Okay. Xiumin, can you sing?" Chanyeol looks at Xiumin with a puppy look on his face.

"I can sing, but I can't sing great."

"That's fine! I'll rap."

"What song?"

"How about," Chanyeol pauses, a smirk forming on his face. "Billionaire by Travie McCoy." Chanyeol gives me this awful smirk and turns to Xiumin to whisper in his ear. People start gathering around, curious because no one has touched the karaoke machine since we got here. No. People! Chanyeol grabs the two mics and inserts money into the machine. The numbers are being pounded in, and I feel my body tense up. The screen counts down from four giving you the intial beat and I have this sudden urge to grab the mic. The strummings of the guitar and Xiumin doesn't enter. At all. He just stares at Chanyeol, fear written all over his eyes. He then looks at me, telling me to take his spot. I can't. I can't sing! I really can't. But, my body doesn't listen to me and I feel my fingers wrap around the mic. My lips begin to tremble as I take in a deep breath, my shoulder tenses up and I feel nothing.

"... Oh every time I close my eyes. I see my name in shining light. Yeah... a different city every night oh I, I swear, the world better prepare when I'm a billionaire." People start to gather around and I feel eye's staring at me, and only me, including Chanyeol's. He raps, distracted, staring at me with wide eyes. But, those wide eyes soon turn into squints, pleased with what he hears. Am I good? People begin clapping along to the beat, and I feel... great. I feel. I can't describe how I feel. I step side-to-side, listening to Chanyeol get into his rap. My part is coming up, and I get ready, and for the first time ever. I feel free, liberated. I feel... comfortable. 

"I wanna be a billionaire, so freaking bad." I let the words trail off as I sing a run. Suddenly my thoughts are drowned out from the gathered crowd cheering both me and Chanyeol. They think we're good! They really do! I can't help but smile, my cheeks starting to get tired by smiling for too long. This felt amazing. Chanyeol grabs me by my shoulders, turning me to face towards him.

"Oh my god, D.O! I didn't know you could sing like that! I thought you said you were a terrible singer! That one time you auditioned, I heard it was terrible. D.O! What happened there... was literally amazing!" He pats me on the back and hugs me afterwards. "My God, D.O. You are a prodigy. You're gifted! Your voice is so pure!" I feel my cheeks heat up fervently by the non stop compliments Chanyeol keeps telling me. People start taking a few photos of me, and even some girls came up to me and asked for my signature. I'm not even famous, but they're wanting my autograph! Xiumin then comes up and I'm included in his selca with Chanyeol. And he just grins at me and gives me multiple high-fives.

"Do you want to sing again?" Chanyeol pushes me on the shoulder, laughing. But just then, I see Sunny and Sehun walk by the entrance of the arcade, distracting me from Chanyeol. Sunny and Sehun. She looks happy. Really happy. I feel my chest tighten, placing my hand on my heart. For some odd reason, I don't want to sing anymore. I don't feel up to it anymore. 

                                                                                                                                                                                         eg *  
 
 author's note 
Billionaire is playing on repeat. Ughhhhh, so goooooooddddddd.
Bruno Mars tho~~~~
next update: Baby Business, Part 5: Suzy and Kai