CHAPTER 9: DOWNTURN

Your Love Hits The Bullseye

 

 

Kwon Jiyong drove along the city of Seoul don’t know where to go.

They said no one is immune from a broken heart. Yes it is true. At some time in our lives someone hurts us, or we hurt them, and we feel like rolling into a little ball on the floor in a heap of tears.

Does the heart heal?

The pain is excruciating, that Jiyong don’t think he will ever feel at peace again.

How to heal this pain?

His mind is a whirlwind, and his heart is anguish. He wants to feel anger towards Bom’s affair but he can’t do it, instead he hates himself. Blaming himself that it was all his fault. It never crossed his mind that his overflowing love for her will be the reason for her to get tired and find someone new. He loves her so much that he can’t see the flaws of their relationship anymore. He was blinded. He opted to disregard truth and believe lies. He believes everything is perfect, he believes giving all to her is enough. But he was wrong. The girl he loves the most got tired of his brimful love. It’s true a relationship won’t last when one of you never felt the same way anymore.

_____________________

BACK TO CHOI RESIDENCE: BALCONY

The wind blew her hair and she shivers. “So that happened the day when Bom and Jiyong broke up?” Seunghyun asked.

She nodded in response. “But we didn’t do it intentionally. It happened because we're both drunk that night and we don’t know what we’re doing.” She reasoned out.

“So it was really indeed a one night stand.”

“Hell no!” She glared at him. Seunghyun chuckled. “I don’t know what will be my girlfriend reaction with this. She doesn’t know Jiyong…."

“….Jiyong didn’t cheat on her okay.” She cutted his sentence. “They broke up that day already”

“But they got back together after remember? And still Bom don’t know about you.”

“She doesn’t have to. Jiyong and I decided to forget everything happened that night. It’s just an accident Choi Seunghyun and we never meet again after that."

"Really?" he looked unconvinced.

"Well…” She stuttered. “We met again when I accidentally crashed his motorbike. I tried to runaway but we met once again at the company and found out we’re going to work together in the project. Everything happens against our will okay. Everything is coincidence." She insisted.

He tilted his head on the side and think.

"You don’t believe me?!" Dara gaped.

"Hmmmmm okay I believe you."

"You should!"

He smirked. "By the way, what are we going to do now?"

"I don’t know.” She hung her head low and sighed. “Seunghyun………."

She paused.

"……….I have something to tell you." She continued.

"About what?" He glanced at her in wonder.

"Uhm well we both know that our parents are living in the world of business where money always revolves and this merging that our parents have occurred because your parents need me and my dad needs partnership which is the purpose is for dominating Korea’s market but…….you should know that….. It’s not all about that.”

His eyes narrowed. “What do you mean it’s not just all about that?”

“Our company is at risk Seunghyun. Though everyone see it as a company that is really doing well but the big truth is…….my father is losing his money. No one knows about this except some people that we trust inside the company.” She then darted her eyes to the thick bush at the garden that can be viewed from the balcony. “We might be the largest airline company in this country but honestly we’re always having the hardest time. It’s normal to face skyrocketing fuel cost and lower demands because every company are experiencing this kind of crisis but we’re losing control this time and my father is in panic. We cost fifty percent higher. We’re dominating this industry due to our effective marketing, where my dad pioneered. We dominated airport hubs to prevent small carrier rivals to expand. My father thought he did a great job for ruling over his competitors but he was wrong. Our company was growing aggressively while trying to grow these networks and get market shares but we get the downturns……………..like we just found ourselves with way too much capacity with has much higher cost operations than low cost carriers and everything is now out of our control.” She glanced back at him. “So yeah we’re in trouble now.”

Seunghyun wrinkled his forehead looking at her, bewildered.

“Are you getting what I mean here?” Dara asked.

“So……are you saying that your company is up to bankruptcy already?”

Dara nodded to confirm and Seunghyun asked again “But why you choose to merge with us? We’re hotel owners not airline carriers. Is it much required to merge with the same business line with you in this kind of situation?”

“That’s a show off. So that no one can suspect that our company is experiencing downturn. And your family is the best choice because my father has me to offer to your parents.”

“Ohhhh.” He looked a bit surprised. “I thought this merging is just merely The Park & Choi domination of the market I didn’t know that there’s something really serious behind that.”

“Yes that’s why I’m here to help my father but then I ruined everything now because I got pregnant.”

“That part really .”

“I know right.” Dara’s face fell. “And I don’t know how to explain this to your parents that you’re not the father of this.” she touch her belly. "Do you think you can help me?"

Seunghyun half-heartedly looked at her. “I can help you telling them that I’m not the father of the child of course but I don’t know if we can save your company especially when they know that you’re pregnant with the other guy and not with me.”

Dara breathe out. “I’m doomed.” She helplessly replied.

"You are…..and me too.” Seunghyun uttered. “By the way, If this is the concept, that merging with us and marrying me is the only way to save your company then why are you still pushing me away and even encouraging me to fight for my girlfriend?" He was puzzled.

“Ahh about that?” Dara let out light chuckles. “It’s a plan actually.”

“Plan? What plan?” He looked at her in shocked. He don’t know there’s a plan.

"I don’t want to marry you but marrying you is the only way to save our company.” She said. “So I made a plan where I can save my family and at the same time I can’t marry you.”

Seunghyun gave her perplexed stares, listening.

“I’m encouraging you to fight for your girlfriend because if you runaway with her which is ‘Bom’ your parents will think that you're at fault and not me. You rebelled and not me.” She continued.

“What?” He crunched his face.

“In short I will be free when you leave and at the same time in that way your parents will still continue the merging because you’re the one who left.”

Seunghyun blinked at her, his lips are partly open. “I can’t believe this. You have this plan and you don’t even tell me.”

“Because I want you to learn something okay.” She proudly replied. "It’s like one stone hitting three birds. I can save my company, I can save myself from marrying you and you will be happy with the one you love. Brilliant right?" She wiggled her eyebrows at him.

"Now I’m thinking about it. It’s unfair."

She rolled her eyes.

"With that plan I’m the only one who looks bad. It’s making me look a rebel son."

"That’s why I never told you. You were going to say that.” Dara shook her head.

“And that was my original plan. Remember when I asked you to escape but you refused to do it. You’re stealing ideas.”

She hissed, he was acting like a kid again. “That only means I’m good enough to do the plan than yours because you fell for it.”

He glared at her. “But Choi Seunghyun, think about it. Marrying me is what you don’t want to do too right?

“Of course!”

“So don’t complain. I’m helping you here to be with the one you truly love. And rebelling to your parents is the only way to escape from marrying me and to be with your girlfriend."

“Whatever…….but that plan won’t work anymore because they already know you’re pregnant. It seems that everything now is in favor with me.” Dara firmly closed her eyes. Yes he’s right. “If we tell them the truth I’m free from marrying you already but you will lose your company.” Seunghyun blurted out.

Dara face palm. “What should I do now?” She’s in trouble.

____________________

Nervous. Sweating Palms. Heart Racing.

"I can do this." Dara cheered herself. Seunghyun pat her shoulder. “We can do this. Don’t worry I’m here to back you up.” He assured but it didn’t help how nervous Dara at all. They are now at the Gold Hotel Dining area. Dara and Seunghyun reserved table for four people. They decided to tell everything to Seunghyun's parents to explain them because hiding this secret longer will make everything worst.

The couple excitedly went to the place thinking that there’s good news that the engaged couple will going to tell them tonight.

"Mom, Dad we have something to tell you." Seunghyun started. They were sitting at a round table.

"What is that son?” Mr. Choi asked after sipping from his glass of water.

Seunghyun glanced at Dara and nodded signaling her to start. She deeply sighed to calm herself and to gain some strength to do this. “Mr. & Mrs. Choi……” Her voice almost cracked.

“Dara how many times I am going to tell you that call us Dad and Mom now.” Mrs. Choi asserted.

Dara gave her an awkward little smile. "But Mr. & Mrs. Choi…………”

“Dara.” Mrs. Choi eyed her. The lady doesn’t really have any idea on what will going to happen right now.

“But you got everything wrong Mrs. Choi.” Dara finally put it into words. The couple in front of her looked at her in puzzled and she continued. “Seunghyun has nothing to do with the child that I’m conceiving." At last she voiced it out.

They furrowed. "W-what do you mean?" Mrs. Choi looked at her, horrified, the Choi couple felt clueless on what Dara just said.

"Dad, Mom…I’m not the father of her baby." Seunghyun intervened.

Their eyes bulged at the revelation. "What?!!!"

"I’m sorry Mr. and Mrs. Choi." Dara’s voice vibrated in fear because of their expected reaction.

"What is this stupid thing that you both telling to us?!” anger now can clearly hear from Mr. Choi’s voice.

"That’s the truth Dad. I have a girlfriend and Dara has a boyfriend and she's pregnant with him.” He lied with the boyfriend thingy because they need to save their from the Choi anger. “I’m sorry but you wronged by thinking that it was mine Dad." Seunghyun added.

"We're telling you all of this so that you won’t feel betrayed once you heard the truth after we got married. I hope you both understand, as the mature parents for Seunghyun." Dara added hoping it will help the couple understand that her pregnancy is not in planned.

"Mom, Dad….Dara got pregnant even before our engagement. We really don’t know about that not until now. We’re shock when Dara and I found out too."

Mr. & Mrs. Choi seems slacked their jaws unable to speak any word.

"We don’t really want this to happen Dad. Everything was uncontrolled.” Seunghyun was giving her best to let his parents think that they didn’t really intentionally mean about Dara’s pregnancy.

“Mr. & Mrs. Choi I hope this mistake won’t change how you see me as Sandara Park before. It just that, sometimes, things happen out of our hands. We don’t do this in purpose”

Dara and Seunghyun waited for Mr. & Mrs. Choi’s response. Until Mr. Choi nodded slowly, he seems understand what they were saying which give Dara hope. “Okay.” He simply muttered. “If that so we can’t do anything now. It already happened. You have a baby with the other man” Mrs. Choi glanced at her husband and tears rolled down her cheeks. “And because of that we have to cancel the wedding." He declared, and that make Dara & Seunghyun felt quite relieved at least but there’s still one thing they are scared of and that’s about the merging and they need to convince them to continue the project no matter what.

“I’m sorry for the trouble I did Mr. & Mrs. Choi. I hope I can pay everything good you did to me. Please give me another chance.” Dara sincerely uttered. “I will work hard to make our merging project successful. Don’t worry I will make sure that our cancelled wedding and my pregnancy will be no effect with our ongoing project.” she looked at them in their eyes with determination.

"I’m glad to know about that Ms. Park but I’m sorry we can’t continue the Choi & park project as well." Mr. Choi honestly said. Dara’s eyes grew wide as round as a saucer. Her lips dried instantly after hearing the last words of Mr. Choi.

‘No please. Don’t.’ She wanted to plead but no words came out from .

"But dad……I don’t think we need to connect the business here.” Seunghyun counterpart with worries. “Dara’s pregnancy has nothing to do with the merging.”

“You’re wrong my son. It has something to do with it.”

“But Dad we already started the project we will lose a lot when we back out from the project."

“Who said we are the one to back out? I think it’s the Parks responsibility to pay for the damages.”

“Dad, what damages are you talking about? The project is definitely doing well even though Dara & I are not going to get married and even though she’s pregnant. It has nothing to do with it.”

“It’s on our contract Seunghyun! You two are going to get married in return of merging the project. If the marriage won’t happen……termination of the contract will occur.” He strongly said.

“What?”

“Don’t act like you don’t have any idea what’s going on my son. Your mom and I did the project for you to marry! No marriage No merging!” He sternly said.

“Dad! Stop using me for the benefit of your business anymore!!” Seunghyun bursted. “I have my own life and I want to live with it on my own!”

“Seunghyun how dare you shout to your father.” Mrs. Choi angrily intervened. “We’re not only doing this for the benefit of our business. We’re doing this for our family. We need to continue our clan Seunghyun you know that.”

Seunghyun shook his head. “I give up on this set up Mom. You will lose me if you keep doing this! And our family has no chance for growth anymore!” He fearlessly said for the first time in front of his parents. Mrs. Choi gaped with his son’s unexpected remarks. Seunghyun sighed. “Don’t you ever wish me to be happy? Huh? Mom, Dad? I always obey you, respect you…but these things are not right anymore and that gives me the feeling that I need to do something already. You two should wake up that controlling someone’s life is one of the stupidest things to do.”

"What is done is done.” Mr. Choi sassed. “We can’t continue working with the parks’ anymore. Dara you disappoint us."

"It’s not her fault!!!” Seunghyun frustratedly said again to defend Dara. “The baby was conceived even before the engagement. Which part of that you don’t understand!???” He breathes out. “We don’t purposely do this to just terminate the merging contract or even cancel our own wedding! It happened because our parents are not responsible enough to know what life that their own child would want to have. You turned deaf with us and just focus on your metaphoric concept of marriage in partnership! Now whose fault was that?” Seunghyun’s eyes are like flaming.

But the parents seems not affected to their son’s fury. “My decision is final. We will terminate the contract.” and Mr. & Mrs. Choi stood up and left. The two could only watch the indomitable couple’s back exiting the area.

Seunghyun glanced at the girl next to him. "I’m sorry Dara” He uttered. “I don’t know what to do with my parents anymore. They are crazy. They don’t know how to listen.”

Dara looked down trying to refrain herself from crying. "No Seunghyun.” She shook her head. “I saw how you put a lot of courage and effort to say everything to your parents tonight. Seeing you deafened me and convinced them a while ago is really brave and awesome………. and thanks for that."

“I don’t know if there’s still a possibility to change them from being a control freak to normal parents. They're just plain deaf and crazy. I’m having a doubt if I can still convince them.”

“It’s okay. You can always try and don’t give up. At least now I know that you’re not the ‘Obedient baby boy of the Choi family’ anymore.”

Seunghyun smiled. “Yeah I think that’s a great achievement. I refuse to be called that name anymore.”

They both giggled and suddenly silence envelops them. They both sighed thinking what just happened. “What do you thing will happen tomorrow?” Seunghyun worriedly asked.

“I’m sure we’re going to face a big big trouble tomorrow.” She lastly said.

NEXT DAY

Korean Airways Co. Ltd. stocks dropped down precipitously. The bad news that Mr. Park avoided for how many years spread like wild fire in the City of Seoul. After the unexpected termination of the contract everything gone worst, he never had imagine that this will really going to happen because he refused to imagine those things ever since. He fought to survive and do the last few things to save his company but he failed.

He shriveled his hair due to his massive frustration. It’s like he’s going crazy. The feeling that he has nothing left is what he’s been avoiding all his life but it happened now. The feeling of losing everything you had treasure for a long time is making him live in fright.

Mr. Park still tried to sell his stocks in the last minute of bankruptcy hoping he can still get at least half of his money but of course no one would like to gamble their money and buy a bankrupt stock. Mr. Park felt worst and it made him to do desperate things without thinking anymore. He went hysterical.

__________________

ONE WEEK LATER

In just one week everything vanished into thin air. Nothing left to Mr. Park and Dara except the house where they are permanently living. They lost everything after their last chance of surviving. The choi’s terminates the contract.

“I’m sorry we can’t keep you all here already.” Dara apologetically said to their now ex-maids. “We have nothing to give you anymore. So you’re all free now to find a new job. I am very sorry that a thing like this happened and even affects you all and your family. Please move on and continue with your life as soon as possible and I wish you all good luck.” Dara glanced at Minzy “And I will miss you Minzy. I have you for how many years already but I’m so sorry you got dragged down with this crisis that my family is experiencing right now.”

“Ms. Dara I understand. Don’t worry. And please understand me too that no matter how much I like to stay by your side, I can’t, because I need to earn for my family too.” Minzy pouted and Dara chuckled. “Be strong Ms. Dara. I hope to see you rise and hire me back as your personal maid again. I have trust in you.” Dara bit her lips to suppress her tears from falling. “I will miss you Ms. Dara.” She sincerely said and Dara hugged all the people who stayed with her in that household for years.

A house is not a home without a family. And the house is the only thing that left for Mr. Park and Dara. But this house never felt it’s a home ever since. So being alone is not new for her. Instead there’s a different issue that makes her balled her hand into fist. She worried and really pitied her father who was now in jail.

You read that right. Mr. Park Jinyoung is now in jail.

The desperation of surviving was what driven him to almost killed someone. Take note almost. Mr. Park stab one of his stockholders with a knife and he was declared guilty for an attempted murder and a case for threatening to kill someone. As much as she wanted to help her father to get out from jail right now. She doesn’t have the power to do that. She was broken. Everything just happened so fast.

It’s funny how her life changes in an instant……..like a blink of an eye. It feels like it was only yesterday that she still living with a load of dollars on her bank account but today it was almost empty. She already lost everything. Her mother’s life, legacy and even the presence of his father. She was just glad that she’s strong enough to take it all and survive with this downturn of her life.

She visits her father in jail today. At first, she was afraid seeing him behind those bars but days passed she was used to it already. She brought a lunch pack with her and entered the jailhouse. Though Mr. Park didn’t want to see her she keeps coming after he was prisoned five days ago to show him that she was very sorry for what she had done to him. Dara think it’s her fault why her father lost it all. The baby inside her is almost in her fourth month now and she was afraid that she will hate the child once it came out because conceiving it was the reason why her father and her is suffering right now.

Dara sighed and waited at the visiting area but as usual her father never showed up to see her. As long as she wants to talk to him to tell him how much she regretted everything she doesn’t have a chance. They never met since the day he was put inside those bars.

___________________

Donghae punched the wall with his fist at the male restroom. He was so pressured right now with all the tasks assigned to him. Korean Airways Co. Ltd, the company where he have been working for four years with Sandara Park, experienced its greatest downfall a week ago but now miraculously, the company is making its way to recover. A business international base tycoon named Lee So Man bought the company with no hesitation and this is the reason why he still has his job right now. The company continues to operate but because the company is from the recession level, they are now struggling to work to keep the company alive and survive. Though it’s really a toxic and a rigid work to make the whole thing go back to normal they are all trying their best to recover everything with the help of that business tycoon, known as Lee So Man, the man that all of the thousand employees of this company called a hero.

Donghae was trying to call Dara the whole week but her phone was turned off. He was extremely worried everyday thinking how hard for Dara to take everything that is happening to her right now. He tried to visit her at home but the house seems abandoned already. The lights are turned off and no trace of human can be seen there. He also wanted to visit Mr. Park who was unfortunately now in jail but he was too busy with work that he can’t make it during the visiting hours. He also never failed to contact Mr. Kwon, he was having a doubt that he didn’t know where Dara is. It’s impossible right? He’s the father of Dara’s unborn child. How could he did not know?

That arrogant man is so heartless for saying that Dara might already flew out of the country. How can he even say that without worrying at her? Donghae really wanted to punch that guy’s face but he can’t for some reason.

Thinking about Dara is making him go crazy.

Where is she?

_________________________

Choi Seunghyun was grounded.

Holy cow!

Is that even possible! A man who was already in his mid-20s was grounded! T….T Well to the Choi Family it is possible. It’s been weeks after Dara and him told his parents the truth about her pregnancy and because of that his parents don’t let him out of their household. His rebelliousness was a treat to his parents and because of that he never got a chance to talk to anyone especially to his girlfriend Bom. He was worried of course. He had no idea what was happening in the outside world for the past weeks. Being prisoned by his parents is so much for him that a thought to hurt himself crossed his mind already.

_________________________

Dara bought a newspaper at the convenience store near their house wearing a hood and a cap to cover her face because she wants to avoid the people who knew her. Why? She felt ashamed.

She arrived home safely. She purposely making the house looks like abandoned so that everyone will think she’s not there anymore. That no one lives there anymore. She turned her phone and never touch it ever since. She never opens her emails. Avoiding everyone. She totally lives her life alone and she wanted it that way now.

She sat at the couch and flipped the newspaper where the jobs advertisement page was. She made up in mind to find a new job for her to start her new life. Of course she needs a source for living. She put her laptop on her lap and started sending emails with her attached resume to the different companies listed at the newspaper. Hopefully, she can be hired as soon as possible since she has a good working experience and she’s confident with that. She promised herself to survive until she gets her father out from jail. After sending applications her eyes then darted on the front page of the newspaper. It caught her attention seeing Choi Seunghyun’s name on it. She read the title.

‘The Choi Family Inheritor to Marry Lee So Man’s Daughter’

Her eyes grew wide. ‘So Seunghyun was still locked up to his parents until now.’ She thought. She read the whole article and found out that the new owner of Korean Airways Co. Ltd named Lee So Man has a daughter known as Lee Chaerin and was announced to marry Choi Suenghyun anytime soon. Dara gaped in shocked. She was once in that situation and she failed to win that game. She just hopes Seunghyun never give up fighting for his true love, she felt sorry for that guy. She then remembered Bom. She was worried what could she be possibly having through at this moment. It must be hard.

Dara took her shower and change her clothes. While putting on her shirt her eyes laid on the luggage that has been there for a month already. It’s Mr. Kwon’s. She didn’t have a chance to return the luggage to Mr. Kwon because of the troubles that keep coming in to her life. She then went and moved the luggage in the other side of her room. She’ll just return it once she already has a job. She can’t really show herself to anyone with this kind of situation, without money, and looks very pitiful, she has her pride too okay. That’s why after their bankruptcy she refused to talk to any people she knew. She felt ashamed with all the things that happened to her.

DING DONG!

Dara heard the doorbell but she ignored it, thinking it might be Donghae again. She purposely turned off the lights of the entire house so that people outside would think no person inside. But the doorbell keeps ringing every now and then. Which making Dara’s head ache. “URGHHH” she howled in annoyance. As much as she wanted to take a look to know the person outside she can’t because the whole house covered by darkness. She covered her head by her pillow instead and waited until the person outside leave.

After three days all the companies she sent her emails replied back to her. She excitedly opened everything but all the emails are just to inform her that the screening committee is no longer considering her application with then. She felt devastated, she has this feeling that the companies did a background check on her and found out that she’s Mr. Park Jinyoung’s daughter, who was now known as the murderer even though he didn’t really kill someone because the man he stabbed is still alive and living a good life until now. But people see her father like that and she can’t do anything.

Her shoulder slump in disappointments, how can she even start a new life if no one wants to give her a chance for it.

She went to her room to get something in her closet and her eyes darted to the luggage of Mr. Kwon. She stared at it for a while and an idea popped out from her mind. She immediately find her phone and it feels like decades already that she haven’t even touch it but now she’s finally going to use it again. Right after it powered on she dialed a number ignoring the messages and voice mails that keeps coming that were sent to her the past weeks.

RING RING RING RING

The phone started to ring. She waited but no answer. She dialed the number again and she startled when the call finally answered.

“Sandara?” The first word she heard from him. Oh my gahd that voice gives her a weird feeling and she doesn’t even know why.

“Ahhh yeah I’m Sandara Park.” She replied in a low voice.

“Where are you?” He quickly asked.

“Huh?.....uhm home.” She hesitantly answered.

“You’re just there all this time?” his voice is full of curiosity.

“Yes.” She nodded over the phone.

“But why whenever Donghae visits he said the house looks no one lives there already.”

“Hmmm I intentionally do that because I’m afraid to face people.”

He sighed. “Okay. I understand. At least you called now. How are you?” ‘Woah is he worried?’ Dara thought.

“Well…….I’m not really fine.” She honestly said and she heard him sighed once again. “Mr. Kwon I want to talk to you.” She continued.

“Now?” He asked.

“No. Tomorrow if you have time.”

“Okay. Same place same time.” He said and she hanged up.

They are going to meet again.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is it!! #DARAGON baby ^__^ see you to next chapter!!