[20] The Engagement

Obliviously Yours [+1]

 

                “So Minho, you came straight from the airport, right? Do you want to eat something? Yoong would cook it for you. Maybe with some help from Soojung.” Jessica eyed the frozen-like Krystal. Aish~ what’s with this kid? Why can’t she do or say anything other than just his name? Can’t she just run to him and hug him and say she missed him like those in dramas? Jessica ranted in her head. She decided to speak up since there was just plain silence after Krystal uttered Minho’s name. Krystal just stood frozen at the bottom of the stairs looking intently at the smiling Minho.

                “No, noona. I just came by to deliver the things your parents asked me to give to you. Also, I bought something from the States for you.” He handed over a bag full of things to Yoona who was beside him. “I’ll go now. It’s getting late already.”

                “Thank you, Minho.” Yoona said.

                “Soojung-ah, why don’t you usher Minho to our gate?” Jessica asked Krystal but it sounded more like a command.

 

________________________

 

                Walking beside Minho towards their gate made Krystal uneasy. She wants to say a lot of things to him but she can’t bring herself to do it. She keeps on opening and closing to say something but she can’t find the right words to say.

                On the other hand, Minho was happy and sad at the same time. He was happy to see Krystal again. He missed her a lot. He was sad because of the news that he brought back from U.S. and because he noticed something missing from her. She’s not wearing the necklace anymore. She might not know but he knew about that necklace and its ring pendant, the ring that he gave her.

                As they’ve reached the gate, Minho was the first one to talk. “Soojung-ah, can I hug you just for a second?” He bravely asked. He wanted to hug her first before telling her the news. Krystal nodded out of shock. So, he hugged her and she felt content and safe in his arms. While he felt happy having her near again. “I’ve missed you.” He softly said then he pulled away from her thinking he might be taking advantage of her already. She wanted to say something to him that she missed him too but he beat her and said “I’ve brought you your good news.” Something shattered inside of her when she heard what he just said. “Your parents approved of calling off our engagement.” She felt a lump on . She can’t even speak. “We’re still friends though, right?”

                Friends. That’s what you want, right? He continued in his thoughts. He didn’t wait for her answer. “I’ll go now. Good night.” He continued and faked a smile at her. As the gate closed behind him, he then made his way home letting his constraint tears stream down his eyes freely.

                She stood motionless. She can’t believe what just happened. She can’t believe that she didn’t say anything and just stood there. She can’t believe that everything happened so fast that she didn’t do anything to stop. Then, she ran towards her house. Inside, she ignored her sisters and went straight to her room. She sat on her bed, unmoving. She heard her door opened. “Soojung-ah, what’s wrong?” Yoona questioned as she sat next to her.

                “Unnie...” She looked at her sister with watery eyes. “...he brought me my ‘good news’” She hugged her sister tightly and bawled her eyes out. Yoona tried her very best to soothe her. Jessica joined their embrace and tried to soothe her too. Because of everything that happened that day and the past few days and because of too much crying, she became tired and fell into a sleep.

                “This is all your fault, unnie.” Yoona blamed Jessica while they were watching their sister sleep.

                “Why me? I didn’t even expect this to happen.”

                “You were the one who was so cool with Minho going to our parents and the one who stopped me from telling Soojung.”

                “Yah, we promised him not to.”

                “You, you promised him.”

                Jessica scoffed. “I didn’t even imagine that Dad would be moved by Minho.”

                “Do something about this, unnie. We can’t let our little sister be like that.” Yoona walked out on her.

                “Yah! Why do you always walk out on me? I’m the oldest one here.”

 

________________________

 

                “He’s not just your best friend, right?” Luna asked Krystal who was staring at the ring on her finger. She meant it to be more of a statement than a question. Krystal nodded in confirmation. “Then you should tell him. He loves you, I can attest to that.”

                Sulli nodded her head backing up Luna’s last statement. “He once said that to see you smile and for you to be happy is more important than his own wants.”

                “I don’t know.”

                “What? Why?” Luna asked.

                “I think he just wants us to be friends.”

                “Because he thinks that’s what you want.” Sulli reasoned.

                “These past few days we were back to normal but his actions are kind of limited.”

                “What do you mean?” The two girls asked.

                “He acts normal like before but it’s limited. It’s like he’s stopping himself from doing things that might suggest that he cares for me more than just a best friend. Like he’s trying to accustom himself to being my best friend. That he’ll be fine with being just a best friend forever.”

                “That’s why you should tell him.” Sulli said.

                “That’s my problem. Whenever he’s around, my guts would always go down the drain. If ever my nerves are back, somehow I would always be shunned by him.”

                “You should spend more time together. That way maybe he’ll come around. Let’s go on a trip together.” Luna suggested.

                “Oh! Right! Let’s go to Nami Island on Saturday.” Sulli proposed.

 

________________________

 

                Onew, Luna, Sulli, Taemin, Minho, Krystal and Key took the shuttle bus from Insadong to Nami Island. Krystal wanted to sit beside Minho but to her disappointment Key entered the bus before Minho did and he sat beside her. When they arrived at Nami Island, the girls were excited to walk in between the high trees where the drama Winter Sonata was filmed.

                I did the right thing. She seems happy. Minho thought as they were walking in the woods. Everyone was walking ahead of him. He’s content to see everyone happy in their trip.

                Then they watched a show that showcases the traditional music and dance but with some modern styles and techniques. After the show they went to eat at some seafood restaurant then they went to a nearby pottery village where they tried hands-on pottery. Because they went there on a weekend, there are quite a lot of people and there are only three pottery wheels available. The couples shared the pottery wheels and the third one was shared out by Minho and Krystal since Key doesn’t want to touch the muddy clay.

                Minho and Krystal were trying to make a simple vase from the chunk of mud on the pottery wheel. Minho was trying to concentrate on creating the vase but he can’t avoid the contact of their hands while doing it. While Krystal was enjoying the sight of Minho flinching every time their hands would brush with each other. At the end, they somehow made a pretty decent vase.

                After the long and tiring day, they decided to head home with Krystal still doesn’t know what to do with Minho.

 

________________________

 

                Minho was walking on the street near their school when he saw Key walking with a girl slightly ahead of him. He decided to follow Key and his companion. They look like a couple from Minho’s point of view. Is he two-timing Soojung? He angrily thought as he continued on following them. The two were really intimate to each other. He can’t identify who the girl was because all he can see was their back. The girl went somewhere and left Key alone for awhile. Minho took it as chance to approach Key. Because of anger, he involuntarily grabbed on Key’s collar. “Are just fooling around with Soojung?” he irately asked.

                “What do you mean? We’re just friends. Let go of me.” Key tried to take Minho’s hands off of him.

                “I don’t think I’ll believe you.” Minho’s hold on him tightened.

                “Minho?” A girl’s voice broke off the building tension. Minho looked at the girl and he noticed the clothes that she was wearing. She was Key’s companion. He looked intently at her face then he realized who she was.

                “Amber?” He said in surprise. Amber is the cousin of the Jung sisters who moved to U.S. when they were just kids. He didn’t know who she was at first because he hasn’t seen her since she went away.

                “Yes. Will you please let go of my boyfriend.” She demanded.

                “Your boyfriend?” He let go of his grasp.

                “Yes. Thank you.”

                “I don’t understand.” Minho uttered in confusion. “You’re always with Soojung. Aren’t you two together or something?” He questioned Key.

                Key and Amber explained to him everything. That Krystal was just helping Key to settle in Seoul since Amber didn’t come at the same time with him. He just misunderstood everything.

 

________________________

 

                It was Jessica’s birthday. There’s a small party at the Jung Residence. Everyone was having fun when Mr. Jung called everyone’s attention. “Good evening, everyone. As we all know, we’re gathered here tonight for my daughter Jessica’s birthday. Aside from that, there’s another reason for us to celebrate.” Mr. Choi went near him. “Me and my friend here have a good news to you. My youngest daughter and his son are engaged to be married.” Everyone clapped except for the Jung sisters and the Choi siblings.

                Sooyoung and Yoona were shocked by the news because they thought the engagement was already called off while Jessica was smugly smiling. Yoona looked at her smiling sister. Jessica proudly said, “Am I great or am I just great, huh?” She chuckled haughtily.

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

sorry for any mistakes...sorry if it's crappy

 

sorry if it took me some time to update...i was dizzy with all that spinning on the chair

                                                                                                                          ...just kidding...=)

YOU!

     who took time to read and write a comment....THANK YOU BERRY MUCH YO!

                                                                                                                                                  

                                                                                                                 everything is BERRY much appreciated YO!

thank you again for reading...=)