[15] The Knight

Obliviously Yours [+1]

 

                “That might melt because of your intense gaze.” Sulli whispered to Krystal’s ear. She found Luna and Krystal sitting quietly one afternoon. Luna appeared to be trying to comprehend something and Krystal is intensely staring at a ring that serves as a pendant on her necklace chain. She sat beside Krystal. “Who’s that from, huh?”

                “Huh?...This one?...It’s from...” Minho. He gave it to me as engagement ring. Krystal continued in her mind. She doesn’t need to know that. “...it’s from no one.”

                “Uh huh.” Sulli nodded her head. Krystal felt like it is more of a mock than an acknowledgement of her answer. “So why are you looking intently at it?”

                “I don’t know either.” Krystal said still looking at the ring. She honestly doesn’t know why she’s staring at that ring. When she received that ring, she didn’t want to wear it on her finger and even though Minho said she can throw it away, she can’t do that either. That why she just decided to wear it on her necklace.

                “Okay.” Sulli chose to just let go of the subject. “Why is she so quiet? Are you sure that’s Luna?” She motioned towards the unaware Luna beside Krystal.

                “Sshh...This is one of the rare times that she’ll be quiet. Just let her be.” Both of them sniggered. Then again silence engulfed them. Sulli watched her two friends in their unusual silence.

                “Can it be?...No way...” Luna talked out of the blue. She appeared to be talking to herself. Krystal and Sulli bizarrely looked at her. “Could it be possible?” Luna continued.

                “Nothing is impossible.” Sulli said as she smiled and moved her eyebrows up and down. Luna looked at her.

                “Nah...that’s impossible.” Luna contradicted.

                “What is it, huh? Just tell us what is it and we’ll see if it really is impossible.” Krystal said.

 

_________________________

 

Earlier that day...

                Luna entered the music room. She saw a man playing the piano, his back facing the entrance of the room. When she got closer, she recognized who the man was; he’s a famous musical actor. He’s one of the casts of the musical that Luna badly wants to watch. She suddenly felt shy and was already on her way out when she accidently bumped into one of the chairs there. “Ouch!” She muttered hoping that she didn’t disrupt the man. But she failed in doing so, the man turned to her direction. “I’m so sorry for being a bother.” She bowed apologetically.

                “Are you okay?” The man asked as he saw Luna rubbing her leg that bumped into the chair.

                “Yes. I’m sorry again for disturbing you.” She was about to turn again to the exit.

                “It’s okay. May I ask why you are here?”

                “I was going to give this to Onew oppa.” She showed the folder that she was holding.

                “Ah...Onew said he will be here in an hour. If it’s okay with you, just leave that with me and I’ll give it to him. I’m Lee Sungmin by the way. Onew’s cousin.” He introduced himself and bowed his head.

                “Thank you.” She handed the folder to him. “I’m...” She was about to say her name when a familiar voice from behind cut her off.

                “Oppa, the battery of my DS died. Can I borrow yours? Please...” She said adding in her famous ‘aegyo’. Luna knew who she was. She’s one of the hosts of the Danshin Duo Show.

                “Bunny...” Sungmin started.

                Bunny? She’s Sunny, right? Is that her nickname...wait, are they in a relationship? Luna questioned herself.

                “...I’ve told you before to always bring an extra one. What would I use later if I’ll play with mine?” He continued.

                “Oppa...oppa, please. I’m about to break my record in Tetris already.” Sunny went on with her aegyo while pleading.

                “Okay. Okay.” Sungmin went and got his DS from his bag.

                “Oh! Hi there!” Sunny said as she entered the room and noticed Luna’s presence. “I’m Lee Sunny.” She bowed at her.

                “I’m Park Sunyoung. Nice to meet you.” Luna bowed at her.

                “Are you a co-member of Onew?” Sungmin inquired.

                “Yes, I am.”

                “Do you know any girl that Onew has been spending time with? I forgot her name.”

                A girl? I need to know her. Who could that competition be? Luna was bothered by Sungmin’s question. “No. I don’t think I know a girl he’s always with.” She answered.

                “Ah, he asked for two front seats of the play I’m in. He said one of his juniors wants to watch it. But I don’t think she’s just a junior to him.”

                “I think so too. He always talks about her. I think her name is like a moon. That's what I remember him saying.” Sunny added.

 

________________________

 

Back to the present...

                “I don’t want to tell you.” Luna teased Krystal and Sulli.

                “Yah! Tell us.” Krystal said.

                “Don’t keep secrets from us.” Sulli added.

                “Fine. Earlier, I was...” Luna narrated what happened.

 

________________________

 

                “Really?” Minho said as he and Krystal were on their way home. She recounted Luna’s story.

                “Luna would be very happy if our speculation was true. I hope it is true.”

                “We’re here already.”

                “Good Luck on your competition tomorrow. Be sure to win the gold medal, okay.”

                “Of course.” Minho smiled proudly.

                “Bye, Ace Minho.”

                “Bye. Good night. Be there, okay?”

                “Sure.”

 

________________________

 

                “ACE MINHO! FIGHTING!” Krystal cheered while waving her ‘Go, Minho!’ placard. She with Luna, Sulli and Taemin were watching from the audience bleachers. It’s the high jump competition day.

                “Yah, keep it down a bit.” Luna held down the hyper active Krystal.

                “Just let her be. We’re here to support him anyway.” Onew said. Everyone was surprised to see him there. They did not expect him to be there.

                “Oppa! You’re here.” Luna said with a blush.

                “Hello.” Onew sat beside her.

                The competition continued. Every jumper is really great. As the height of the bar increases, the number of jumpers decreases. Then it came down to two jumpers. Of course, Minho is one of those two. The height of the bar now is 2.2 meters.

                “It’s neck and neck. Their scores are tied.” Krystal worriedly uttered. Since the scores are tied, a playoff was held. An inch was added to the height of the bar every time the two jumpers would be able to surpass it. As the height of the bar reached 2.3 meters, only Minho was the one to jump over it. They were very happy that Minho won the competition.

                “Congratulations! This calls for a celebration. Treat us to dinner, Minho.” Onew said. After the awarding ceremonies, they exited the gym and were on their way to a restaurant.

                “Treat us! Treat us!” All the others chanted.

                “You think you’re all that after winning?” A guy shouted cutting through their merriment. He’s the guy Minho battled the playoff with. He’s now blocking their way with his gangster looking friends. “You know, I never lose. And I would never accept that I was beaten by just you. Are you sure you did not cheat?”

                “Hey, that was a fair game. Just accept it.” Onew defended.

                “Tch. As I’ve said, losing is not in my dictionary. Let’s have another round using our fists, shall we?” The guy and his friends started to move towards them.

                “Yah! Let it go. Just back off.” Taemin shouted at the guys.

                “Go. You’ll get hurt.” Minho lightly pushed Krystal, Sulli and Luna away. He can see that the guys don’t have any plans in backing down. “Minho...” Krystal said in concern. “Just go now.” Minho pushed them. The guys were already starting to get closer to them and were ready to start giving punches. The three girls ran back to the gym to get some help. As the three distanced their selves, the fight started. It was very chaotic. Punches and kicks were thrown from everywhere.

                “MINHO!” Krystal cried. They just got back with them were the gym guards and officials. Someone was going to strike Taemin with a steel bar when Minho jumped in to shield him. Taemin didn’t saw it since he was facing the other way. He just realized what happened when he heard Krystal’s scream.

 

_______________________

 

                “Yah! You have to wake up now.” Krystal said to an unconscious Minho, lying on a hospital bed. He was rushed to the hospital after what had happened. Onew and Taemin only had minor injuries from the fight. Minho’s the only one who has to stay in the hospital.

                Based on the CT scan, his brain and skull did not obtain any damage. Bleeding was just caused by external lacerations and the cut due to the force. Until he recovers to full consciousness we cannot be completely reassured. He must stay here for us to be able to observe him fully. There might be brain or skull damages that are not visible to the human eye. She remembered the doctor’s explanation. She insisted to be the one to watch over him. It’s been hours already and still he’s not showing signs of improvement. Sleep had caught up to her and she rested her head on the side of the bed while holding one of his hands.

                A few more hours later, Minho opened his eyes. He feels a little pain on his head and he remembered what happened. Then he felt numb on his right hand. As he looked at it, he saw Krystal’s head resting on it. He smiled. “It’s a relief, you’re okay.” He pushed back a strand of hair that’s over her face. His action awakened the sleeping Krystal. She bolted up, shocked to see a conscious Minho in front of her. She then smacked him lightly on the arm.

                “Yah! What took you so long to wake up? You scared me.” She hugged him tightly. She felt tears flowing down her eyes. “Why did you do that?”

                Minho pulled away from the hug and held Krystal's face with both of his hands. He wiped her tears with his thumbs. “I told you I’m a knight. The knight protects his princess.”

                “Taemin’s not your princess.” Krystal pouted. She looked like a child.

                “The knight protects his princess and her prince.” Minho smiled and tried to make her smile too but his statement made her cry even more. She hugged him again.

                “He’s not my prince. He has his own princess already.” Tears continued to flow. She doesn’t know why she’s still crying even though Minho was conscious already. But she’s not crying because of the reality of what she said, that’s one thing she’s sure of.

                “Don’t worry, princess. We’ll find your prince and you’ll get your happy ending. Stop crying now.” Minho tried to soothe her.

                “Tok. Tok. I see you’re okay now, huh.” Sooyoung said knocking to the already opened door. The two pulled away from their hug and Krystal wiped her tears away. Sooyoung entered the room and was followed by Jessica.

                “Choi Minho, don’t you scare my sister like that again.” Jessica jokingly reprimanded Minho.

                “Unnie, give him a break. Anyway, let’s eat.” Yoona said as she entered the room with lots of food.

 

 

 

 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

thank you for reading...=)

sorry for any mistakes...