[14] The Birthday

Obliviously Yours [+1]

 

               “What are you thinking about?” Luna asked. She, Krystal and Sulli were doing nothing. It’s one of their lazy afternoons where they just sit and the three of them would place their heads on a table [a/n: like this http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j368/maiQui21/sullikrystalluna.jpg] , do nothing and just let time pass.

                “Nothing.” Sulli answered.

                “Where to find someone who can teach me how to cook.” Krystal answered. Both heads from her sides turned to her.

                “Why?” Sulli asked.

                “I need to learn how to cook some dishes.”

                “What about your sisters?” Luna asked.

                “I’m a better cook than Sooyeon unnie given that I don’t really know how to cook. As for Yoong unnie, she only knows a number of dishes and she can’t help me since she has a tight schedule this week. I need to learn them by Friday.”

                “Why do you need to learn anyway?” Sulli again asked.

                “Because...” Krystal was cut off by Luna.

                “I know!” Luna exclaimed. “Vic eomma!” [a/n: i don’t really know how to Romanize this: 엄마 properly...revised Romanization says its ‘eomma’, so there]

                “Vic eomma?” Krystal and Sulli questioned in sync.

                “I believe your mother’s name is not ‘Vic’, right?” Krystal added.

                “No, silly. I was pertaining to Victoria unnie.” [a/n: i figured 언니was supposed to be spelled like ‘eonni’ as the revised Romanization says but then i’ve started with ‘unnie’ already so i’ll just continue with that...=) ] Luna explained but still Krystal and Sulli seemed to remain clueless. Of course, they don’t know her. Babo. “She’s my neighbor. She cooks really well. She taught me some different chicken recipes.”

                “Would it be okay if I ask her to teach me?” Krystal asked in hesitation.

                “Don’t worry. I’ll ask her first. She’s very kind and nice. She really loves to cook...” Luna started her non-stop babble.

 

________________________

 

                “Hello!” A gleeful woman greeted them as the gate opened. Victoria agreed to teach Krystal. Sulli tagged along with them.

                “Vic eomma!” Luna squealed. Then they hugged each other. “This is Sulli and this is Krystal.” She introduced the two.

                “Hello, nice to meet you two. I’m Song Qian but just call me Victoria. Come in.” Victoria invited them in.

                “Song Qian?” The two softly repeated.

                “She’s Chinese.” Luna explained. “So where are your parents, eomma?”

                “They went to China. They would stay there for a week or so. Right now, I’m home alone. We can cook every day, all day.” She enthusiastically said and smiled at them. “So what do you want to learn?”

                “Krystal here wants to learn some Korean dishes. And Sulli is here as our taster.” Luna teased.

                “May I know why? Or should I say, may I know for whom?” Victoria playfully asked. Luna and Sulli dubiously eyed Krystal.

                “It’s my best friend’s birth date this coming Friday. I just want to cook him a birthday dish or dishes since he had done a lot for me already. It’s a way of saying ‘thank you’.” Krystal casually explained.

                “Minho’s birthday? Is it really just a ‘thank you’?” Sulli suspiciously asked.

                “Yes it is. I don’t see any other reason.” Krystal defended. “Why are you all looking at me like that?”

                “You know what they say, ‘The best way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.’.” Luna said. Sulli and Victoria nodded in agreement while Krystal scoffed and shook her head a bit thinking how silly that idea was.

                “That’s true. My boyfriend fell more in love with me because of food.” Victoria backed up.

                “You have a boyfriend, unnie?” Sulli asked.

                “Yes. But he’s in Thailand now. He’s visiting his family there.”

                The rest of the day went by with them cooking and chatting about random things. They’ve gotten to know each other better. By the end of the day, Victoria became Krystal and Sulli’s ‘Vic eomma’ too.

 

________________________

 

                Lulu, I need your help. Krystal texted Luna.

                What is it? Luna replied.

                I need to talk to Onew oppa and ask him something.

                Yah! You can’t talk to him. He’s mine. Kekeke :P

                He’s not yours and I don’t have any intention to make him mine!

                Not YET...you’ll see...XD Anyways, what are you going to ask him?

                Maybe, he can help on Friday. Krystal decided to ask for Onew’s help instead of Taemin’s. She feels awkward to ask for Taemin’s help.

                Okay, fine.

                Thanks. I’ll tell you about it tomorrow. See you, Lulu. =)

 

________________________

 

                “Hyung, why are we here? You know I don’t know how to skate.” [a/n: i also figured that is supposed to be ‘hyeong’ as what the revised Romanization says but as i’ve started with ‘hyung’ already, i’ll just continue with that...=) ] Minho asked Onew. He was asked by Onew to come with him to Grand Hyatt Seoul Ice Skating Rink. Onew paid for their admission and rental fees. They were now geared up for ice skating and standing near the entrance of the rink.

                “Come on.” Onew pulled him into the rink. “It’s not as hard as it looks like.” Just then Onew slipped and tumbled on the ice. This made Minho laugh hard. The truth is that Onew doesn’t really know how to skate just like Minho but he still went there because of Luna and Krystal’s request.

                “Hyung, we both don’t how to skate. Let’s go. We’re just wasting our time here we won’t learn skating from each other.” Minho said while trying to help Onew get back on his feet. Suddenly, a girl grabbed one of Onew’s arms and helped him up.

                “That’s why we’re here.” Luna said smiling. Finally, Onew was on his feet again but still he’s a little wobbly so he held on Luna.

                “We?” Minho questioned. Luna’s the only one there. He got confused by what she meant.

                “Yes, we.” Krystal butted in as she skated towards them. “How can you two not know how to skate?” She chuckled. “Come on.” Krystal took Minho’s hands and guided him. Luna did the same to Onew but they went on the other way.

 

________________________

 

                “Thanks for doing this, oppa.” Luna shyly said.

                “It’s nothing really. At least I get a free ice skating lesson from you.” Onew smiled. “Also, this would make Minho very happy.” He added then he slipped again. “Ouch.” He stated as he rubbed the sore spot on his behind for falling on the ice again and again.

                “Who knew you could be this clumsy.” Luna teased and laughed at him.

                “Yah! I’m doing this for you.”

                “What?” Luna asked. She didn’t hear what he said because she was laughing out loud.

                “Nothing. Just help me get up.”

 

________________________

 

                “Yah! Don’t just stay still there letting me pull you. Move your legs.” Krystal scolded Minho.

                “I’m not as good as you, okay. I don’t even know how to skate.” He tried to appear indifferent though he enjoyed holding Krystal’s hands.

                “This is the only sport the ‘Ace Minho’ doesn’t know.” She smirked.

                “And you’re so good at it, huh, ice princess Soojung.”

                “Of course. Remember I won a competition when we were just kids.”

                “Yeah, I remember. You won with that partner of yours. What’s his name again?” He can’t remember that boys name because he was so jealous of him for being Krystal’s partner back then. “Never mind.” He dismissed the subject. They continue to skate. He became more comfortable and learned how to skate on his own. Once he got the hung of it, Krystal let go of his hand, much to his annoyance, and they continued to skate around the rink. “Thank you for teaching me, ice princess. You could have just told me and not drag Onew hyung here.” He said.

                “I know but I did that for Luna. See.” She pointed at Luna and Onew who seemed to be having fun. “Come on. I have something to show you.” She pulled him to one of the tables beside the rink. Minho was surprised to see a table with lots of food. Krystal held up a cake with lighted candles.

 

gidaryeoon neoui saengil (Happy Happy Happy Birthday!)

I’ve been waiting for your birthday (Happy Happy Happy Birthday!)

neon moreugo itgetjiman (Oh You‘re So Special)

Even though you still don’t know (Oh You’re So Special)

manheun naldeuri heulleodo (oneulcheoreom nan ne yeopeseo)

Many days have passed (Like today I’m by your side)

chukha haejugo shipeo Ooh Boy!

I want to congratulate you, Ooh Boy!

 

                She sang an f(x) song. He was so happy and he wished before blowing the candles. “I thought you don’t like them.” He questioned her.

                She smiled sheepishly. “Oh, just be thankful that I sang for you.” She said as she put some icing on his face.

                “Thank you.” He wiped off the icing. “You cooked all this?” He disbelievingly asked.

                “Of course.” She smiled proudly. On the table there’s Seaweed Soup, Beef Rib Stew with Rice with Red Beans, Radish Kimchi, Ramyun—his favorite—and rice cakes with sweet bean paste for dessert. They ate everything. Minho was so overwhelmed with her surprise for him. He was very happy to spend his birthday with Krystal and added to that, she cooked for him and taught him how to skate.

                They were back on the rink after eating. Minho stopped on the middle of the rink. This caused Krystal to stop too. “Soojung-ah, Thank you.” He sincerely said and smiled charmingly at her.

                “Actually, it’s me who owes you a lot. This is my ‘thank you’ to you.” She smiled back at him.

                Minho’s expression turned into a serious one. “Soojung, I have to tell you something. I...I”

                “You, what?” She suddenly felt nervous.

                “I-I like you more than just a friend. No, I-I lo...” He started to stutter. She cut him off knowing what he was about to say. Somehow she knows how he truly feels for her.

                “Minho...” She doesn’t know what to say. She doesn’t want to hear him say it and she doesn’t even know why. She’s so confused. “I don’t know what to say. You’re my best friend. And...and...”

                “You don’t have to say anything. I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable.” He gave her a small smile. She knew it’s a sad one. “You’re right. You’re my best friend. I’m sorry again. I am fully aware that you don’t like me that way.” She felt so guilty letting him down. “Can we pretend that I never said anything like this, huh? And just forget about it?” He asked.

                Out of a sudden she hugged him. “Thank you for being with me always. I’m sorry I can’t be more than your best friend.” She felt him hugged her back.

                “It’s okay. Being by your side is more than enough.” He pulled away from their hug and smiled reassuringly at her. Then suddenly the fireworks went off to light up the night sky. “Oh. Look! So beautiful.” The fireworks grabbed their attention.

________________________

 

                “Ice princess, can I ask you something?” Minho said as they were walking home. They were back to normal as she walked slightly ahead of him like always. He saw her nodded her head. “Since you’re a princess, can I be your knight then?”

                “What?” She snapped her head towards him.

                “Don’t worry. The knight never gets to be with the princess. The knight is only meant for his damsel. I’ll help you with your prince. So, is it a yes?”

                “I guess.” She nodded and turned back to face the road in front of her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

thank you for reading....=)

sorry for any mistakes...