EXO: BAEKHYUN

Rambles & Drabbles

Defense

Maybe coming to the annual cabin trip this year was a bad idea.

The first day started off swell. Your massive group of friends all claimed rooms before piling into the living room to play games and bask in each other’s company.

But then the liquor found its way into the equation.

Park Chanyeol can’t handle his liquor. This is a fact.

He also can’t handle the fact you aren’t together anymore.

It was a pretty gnarly breakup, leaving friends feeling divided to some degree, and you were hoping you could pretend the relationship never happened for their sake.

It was working until he had you cornered in the kitchen, slurring his words as he practically begged you to take him back.

“Chanyeol, you’re drunk,” you dismissed, trying to fight him off of you.

“Don’t you miss this?” He asked, forcing his head onto the crook of your neck. “Don’t you miss us?”

“You killed ‘us’ the moment you decided I wasn’t enough,” you said, shoving his head away. His arms wrapped around your waist, his grip getting tighter the more you struggled.

“I was dumb,” he continued. The smell of vodka on his breath made you want to hurl. “Immature. Let me prove to you that I’ve changed.”

“That’s not necessary. Please, let me go.”

“But—”

“She said ‘let her go’.” A familiar voice bellowed from the hallway, causing your face to heat up from embarrassment as Chanyeol paused before turning his head to the direction of the voice.

“This has nothing to do with you, Baekhyun,” he spat, his deep timber laced with warning.

“She’s my friend. It has everything to do with me,” Baekhyun countered. He made his way over and grabbed Chanyeol’s shoulder. The taller boy shoved him roughly aside and that seemed to spark something within Baekhyun because he swung his fist, hitting Chanyeol square on the nose.

The two began wrestling on the ground. You attempted to break it up, but the two ignored your screams as they rolled around, throwing punches at one another.

Finally, somebody heard and Jongin and Junmyeon came barreling in, succeeding at pulling the two apart.

“What the hell is going on?” Jongin asked, bewildered as the two glared at each other viciously.

“You never deserved her,” Baekhyun revealed rather calmly, disregarding Jongin’s question. “And you will never get her back. I will make sure of that.”

“ you!” Chanyeol replied. Baekhyun stormed out first, the slam of the back door shook the frame of the wooden house.

The two other boys dragged a bruised and incoherent Chanyeol out as you grabbed the first warm thing you could find before following after Baekhyun.

You found him sitting alone in the backyard, shivering in front of a neglected dying fire. You trudged over to him, sitting closely beside him as you took in his anguished features.

You made a show of unfolding the giant blanket you had brought with you, wrapping it around yourself before holding the other side out as an invitation. “Here, take my blanket.”

He threw you a skeptical look before rolling his eyes, grabbing the offered end and pulling it over his shoulders as you huddled close.

It’s silent as you watched him watch the dying embers before him. Your usually silly and outgoing friend was dead silent, no sign of joy to be found on his person for once.

It left you slightly unnerved.

“Baekhyun?” You called hesitantly. He hummed distractedly. You swallowed thickly before continuing in a soft voice. “Please, just smile. I really need to see you smile right now.”

“Why?” He huffed.

“Because you scare me when you’re like this.”

“Am I not allowed to be upset?” He asked. Anger was back in his voice, only now aimed at you. “Chanyeol is a ing tool. I don’t care if he was drunk or not, he had no right to do that to you. To do any of that to you.”

His hands were fists in his lap as he attempted to compose himself. Finally, he whispered brokenly. “You don’t deserve any of that.”

“I appreciate it, I really do. But, I still don’t understand why you reacted like that. Why did you hit him, Baekhyun?”

“Because he pissed me off! He thinks after everything he can just say he wants you and you’ll come crawling back! You were very obviously uncomfortable, but he was so wrapped up in himself to notice what he was doing to you! Then he gets mad at me for coming to your defense! I’m not surprised he reacted that way to me though. He’s always known how I felt about you—” He stopped talking once he realized what he just said. Straightening up immediately before turning his head away from you, towards the dark trees in the distance.

“And what exactly do you feel, Baekhyun?” You whispered.

“I….” He ran his hand through his hair, causing it to fall awkwardly. But then he squared his shoulders and turned to you, gazing deeply into your soul. “I’m pretty positive I’m in love with you.”

You gasped quietly at his confession, not quite expecting it, but then a relieved laugh left your lips. “Good.”

“Good?” He repeated, not sure what to make of your reply.

“I’m pretty positive I’m falling for you,” you revealed, grinning mischievously. “It’s nice to know you have a head start.”

He laughed in disbelief before shaking his head, pulling you even closer towards him with an arm around your shoulder. You rested your head on his, enjoying the sudden shift in your relationship with him.

You lifted your gaze to see the upturn of his cheek and poked it with a cold finger. “There it is. Smiles suit you better.”

He rubbed your shoulder as a reply, getting lost in thought again. 

“If you don’t feel comfortable here anymore, we can leave.” He said.

You shook your head. “I feel safe as long as I’m next to you.”