Chapter Twenty-Three

A Change Of Heart

 

                They finally arrived at the apartment’s parking lot. “Here we are,” Junggi turned off the engine before unbuckling the seatbelt. He glanced at Yongguk who was looking around anxiously. “Ready to go?”

                Yongguk nodded at the other. He got out of the car to follow Junggi. The police didn’t seem to arrive yet. Maybe they were on their way. He told them to wait outside of the apartment for one hour at most so that he could have a talk with Jihyun. If he took more time than that, the police could break into the apartment.

                Both of them got into the elevator and Junggi pressed the eleventh floor.  He stepped back to stand beside Yongguk. “Have you thought about what to say to her?”

                Yongguk turned to him. “No… I can’t think of anything right now. Maybe I’ll just go with the flow,” He shrugged.

                Junggi bobbed his head. “So…should I join in or…?”

                “You can if you want to. But give me some time with her first.”

                “Yeah, sure.”

                The elevator stopped and opened. Junggi led the younger man to his apartment door. He unlocked it before telling Yongguk to go in. “Good luck,” He whispered.

                Yongguk nodded. He inhaled deeply and calmly went in. The lights were quite dimmed and it was very quiet. There were only the faint sounds and bright light from the TV which had a long couch in front of it. He carefully walked farther inside, approaching the couch from behind. That’s when he noticed there was a person sitting there.

                “Where have you been, oppa?”

                Jihyun’s voice almost made him jumped. Perhaps she thought that he was Junggi. Yongguk didn’t know how to say that she got the wrong person. So he just kept his mouth shut.

                Upon receiving no answer, Jiyun curiously turned around. She gasped, her eyes wide as she scrambled to stand up. “Yongguk oppa…! How… What are you doing here?” She asked timidly.

                Yongguk could see how Jihyun was really shocked and starting to be agitated after she saw him. Now that they had finally met, he wanted to use this chance wisely.

                “I need to talk to you,” He stated frankly.

                “There’s nothing more to talk about,” She regained her composure, trying to look intimidating to the other. “I thought I’ve made it clear over the phone.”

                “You’re clear about what you want. Not something that I want,” Yongguk firmly countered.

                Jihyun scoffed. “You just want me to go to jail.”

                “Well, isn’t that appropriate? After what you’ve done to my wife?” Yongguk snarled, making the latter clenched her jaw. “You know, if I didn’t use my brain and let my mind to be fueled with anger, I would’ve killed you on my own. But I don’t want to be like you,” He stared at her with a scowl on his face. “You’re a killer. You killed my child.”

                “Oh come on!” Jihyun threw her hands up. “It was an accident! I didn’t know he’s pregnant!”

                “An accident because of your foolish act! You hurt my wife!” Yongguk fumed.

                Jihyun was astonished by the sudden outburst. Nonetheless, she wouldn’t surrender. “But oppa!”

                “Don’t call me that!”

                “I did it because of you! I love you!” She ignored his warn. She even went around the couch to get closer to him in attempt to hold his arm but he was fast to swat her hands away.

                Yongguk took a step back. “If you love me, you wouldn’t do all of those things. You didn’t even love me back then.”

                Jihyun rubbed her temples with her eyes closed for a moment before running her fingers through her hair. “It has been more than two years since then. It was just a stupid mistake,” She argued. “You’re the one I truly love from the beginning and that feeling never changed. My heart is still the same. I still love you.”

                “I don’t,” Yongguk said with a stern face. “I love Daehyun more than I ever did with you,” He kept his eyes on Jihyun’s to let her now that he really meant it. “I’m sorry, my heart has changed.”

                “This doesn’t make any sense!” Jihyun snapped. “Why him? What do you like so much about that guy?” She still had a hard time to believe that Yongguk chose Daehyun over her.

                Yongguk rolled his eyes in annoyance. He turned away from her, hands rested on his hips, as he cooled himself down. After taking a couple of deep breaths, he faced her again.

                “I told you before. I like, no, love everything about him. He’s perfect in my eyes. And although I’ve made his life a mess because of my psycho ex-girlfriend,” He emphasized the last two words. “He stays by my side with love that never lessens. How could I find someone better than him?” He raised his brows along the question which had rendered the woman speechless.

                “Now, while I’m asking politely, could you give me back my wife’s ring?” He held out his hand, eyes pointing to the shiny band of white gold on her finger.

                Jihyun promptly brought her hands up to her chest, intending to secure the ring from being taken by him. Her breathing quickened as her body began to tremble. “And then what? Send me to jail?”

                “It would be easier if you turn yourself in,” Yongguk coaxed.

                “Only a retard would do that!” She yelled before running to somewhere in the apartment.

                “Yah! Where are you going?!” Yongguk shouted while going after her trail. She was in the kitchen, rummaging a drawer at the countertop. “What are you up to now?!”

                “I said it on the phone,” Taking out a sharp chef knife, she screeched at the older man. “I’m going to kill your wife!”

                Yongguk could feel the chills and goosebumps throughout his body after she said that. “What?! Are you not in your right mind?! Just what are you thinking?! Do you think I would let you do that?!” He stood near the other and ranted his words, wishing that he could change her mind.

                “Whatever. I don’t do something halfway,” Jihyun muttered, holding the knife behind her as she brushed past him.

                Yongguk tried to grab her but she dodged, quickly going back to the couch. “Just stop it already! There’s no point doing this anymore!” He chased her and finally got a hold on her shoulders.

                Jihyun had taken her coat from the couch to drape it over her hand which was clutching to the knife. All there’s left to do was to overcome Yongguk who was in front of her, desperately keeping her in place.

                “You’re crazy! Stop it!” Yongguk growled. He was losing. Jihyun seemed to use her full energy to struggle out of his hold. She flailed her arms and pushed him, more and more to the back until they were in front of the door. Jihyun gave a final push, almost sending Yongguk to the floor as he stumbled back a few steps. She used the chance to open the door. “Stop it I said!”

                As soon as Yongguk shouted, Jihyun froze in her spot. But it was not because of that. She was indeed surprised to see another man standing by the door with his arms crossed.

                “He’s right,” The man uttered, referring to Yongguk.

                “Junggi oppa…?” She stared at him in disbelief.

                He nodded, like he was trying to convince her that it was really him. “You should stop. It’s over now.”

                “No…” Jihyun shook her head. “You’re supposed to be on my side!”

                “I always have!” Junggi returned, placing a hand on his chest. “I stayed by your side since years ago! You’re just too blind with your love towards Yongguk to see it!” The said man was just silent while watching them intently.

                “And now,” Junggi continued. “I’ve realized that I’m also blinded by my love for you till I was willing to do anything for you. But not anymore. What we did was wrong and we shouldn’t run away from it.”

                Jihyun’s face contorted in anger and irritation. “Are you stupid? You want us to be prisoned while they live happily?”

                Junggi shrugged his shoulders. “That’s what they deserved.”

               Jihyun’s eyes glued to Junggi’s as she tried to accept the fact that the man she trusted the most had betrayed her. Was this the same feeling Yongguk had two years ago? She finally understood. When those words came out from Junggi’s mouth, she knew she had already lost the game. Tears began to slip out from her eyes. She quickly turned away from both of them to hide her crying face.

                Seeing this was going nowhere, Yongguk decided he would do whatever it took to clarify his sincere request to her. “Please…” He muttered and surprisingly got onto his knees. Junggi’s eyes widened as he gaped at him. Jihyun didn’t know what’s going on until she turned around after hearing a thud which was when Yongguk dropped to the floor.

                “Just please… I beg you…” He cried. “Just let go of me… I want to live with my wife in peace… Just… Stop it…”

                The tears came running down Yongguk’s face as he severely pleaded to her and it made Jihyun realized that Yongguk had never cried like that in front of her. It was absurd how this man would do anything to protect his love, his lover. He even got on his knees!

 Just as Jihyun wanted to say something, someone knocked on the door.

                “Police, open the door!” A loud voice shouted.

                “! Who told them this place?” Jihyun was horrified.

                Yongguk slowly got up from the floor before looking at Junggi. His expression was asking if they should let them in or not. Junggi only nodded at him and reached to the doorknob.

                “Don’t!” Jihyun’s scream stopped him. “Don’t open the door!” She demanded, showing her palm to him.

                “Jihyun, just give up already! It’s ing over!” Junggi was beyond angry.

                “No I won’t! I’d rather die than going with the police!” Jihyun pulled out the knife she was holding to all along. Both of Yongguk and Junggi gasped at her while the police were still knocking. She pursed her lips and took a deep breath before lifting the knife up to stab herself.

                “Yah!” Yongguk made a lunge for her wrist, stopping the knife midway. “You shouldn’t do this! It’s not worth it!”

                Jihyun squirmed to free her hand. “Let go of me!”

                Junggi saw a chance. He immediately opened the door to let the police in. There were four of them, each having a gun as they rushed inside. One of them got a hold of Junggi, just in case he would run away. Another three went to break Yongguk and Jihyun apart.

                Jihyun clearly saw the police coming for her. She wanted to run away but Yongguk’s grip was so strong to prevent her from going anywhere. She was getting more anxious and desperate to save herself. Forcefully, she used all her might to push Yongguk away. She managed to break free but then, her hand was empty.

                “Argh!” Yongguk groaned in pain. He fell to the ground, clenching to the right side of his stomach where the knife had been into. A police officer quickly came to aid him.

                Jihyun could only look at Yongguk in horror. So did Junggi. Another two policemen had already held her, yet her eyes never left Yongguk. She couldn’t believe she did that. She swore it was an accident.

                “Kang Jihyun,” The police called, pulling her out of the trance.  “You’re under arrest for kidnapping and assault,” They brought her hands to the back before putting handcuffs on them.

                “Go Junggi?” The first officer asked although he had recognized him. Junggi willingly admit. “You’re under arrest for kidnapping,” His hands were also handcuffed.

                “Are you okay, Mr. Bang?” Another officer asked Yongguk. He was kneeling beside him after helping him to lie on the floor.

                “No, I’m not,” Yongguk murmured under his breath with a hint of sarcasm. His eyes squeezed because of the excruciating pain.

                “Just hold on a little longer. The medical team will arrive in a moment,” The same officer added.

                The other three policemen started to move their suspects. Junggi glanced at Jihyun. She had her head hung low but he’s glad that she didn’t resist anymore. This was really the end for them.

                “Hey, Junggi!” Yongguk managed to let out a louder voice. The said man turned to him quizzically.

                “Thanks,” Yongguk rasped. “You’re forgiven.”

                Junggi was dumbfounded. He didn’t expect Yongguk would remember that and kept his words. A wide smile formed on his face. He was relieved and satisfied that he had done the right thing. Junggi nodded at the other before the police brought him out.

                Jihyun was escorted by the other two officers. Yongguk could barely see them walked past him through his half lidded eyes. But he was sure he heard something from Jihyun.

                “I’m sorry…”

                His head felt too heavy by then but he was still able to lift his fist. He slowly opened his grasp to look at the ring. He kept it there after he had snatched it from Jihyun during the previous encounter. His lips curved upwards as he imagined the day he would give the ring back to Daehyun.

               His body was getting weaker by time. He brought up another hand to hold the ring but since it was covered with blood, he had to wipe his hand on his pants before he could finally, shakily put Daehyun’s ring on his little finger, next to his own wedding ring.

               His breaths became short and slow. The police’s voice was getting faint. He felt so sleepy and his eyes felt like they were being forced to close. He had no choice but to let the dark took him away.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

                “Daehyun-ah,” “When will you stop crying? It’s been hours,” Mr. Jung complained to his son who was cuddled up to his wife next to him as they were all sitting on a sofa in the living room. He had to wake her up because their only child wouldn’t stop crying.

                Daehyun pulled away from his mother to glare at his father. His nose was red, his eyes were puffy and he was still sobbing. “I can’t stop… Maybe… It will stop… If you send me to Seoul…” He said between hiccups.

                Mr. Jung sighed. “Daehyun, I told you it’s late and it takes hours to get there,” He thought his son was being immature for wanting to go to his house in Seoul at this hour. It was just because his husband didn’t call or text him back, even after he had put his own SIM card in his father’s phone.

                “I don’t care… I just want to go home…” Daehyun whined, nuzzling his face to his mother’s chest. He wouldn’t be like this if there’s none of these anxious and uneasy feelings.

                Mrs. Jung softly rubbed Daehyun’s back. “Your dad’s right, Daehyun-ah. You should go to sleep now. We’ll talk about this tomorrow,” She tried to coax.

                “How can I sleep? Yongguk hasn’t called me yet,” Daehyun retorted with a muffled voice. Just as he started to cry again, the phone rang.

                Daehyun jolted in his seat, his crying stopped immediately. Jumping off the sofa, he grabbed the phone from the table in front. His parents just watched him intently from the back.

                A frown etched on his face when he found that it was not Yongguk. He still answered it though, with his heat thumping rapidly against his ribs.

                “Hello?”

                “Hello, am I talking to Jung Daehyun-ssi?” An older man’s voice replied on the other end.

                Daehyun could sense something was off. “Yes, who is this?”

                “I’m from Seoul Police Department. May I know, is Bang Yongguk-ssi your husband?”

                By this time, he felt like throwing up. “Y-Yes, he is…”

                “I need you to stay calm, Daehyun-ssi.”

                “W-What is it?” His voice was just above a whisper.

                The police officer, he assumed, was quiet for a second before heaving a breath. “I regret to inform you, that your husband, Mr. Bang, has been stabbed during a struggle with a suspect named Kang Jihyun.”

                Daehyun suddenly felt dizzy. He could barely hear what the man said anymore.

                “He is being treated at…and his condition is… I hope you can…”

                Everything around him was spinning. His legs lost their strength making him swayed to the side.

                “Daehyun-ah!” Both of his parents rushed to prevent him from falling to the ground. Mr. Jung was faster. He caught Daehyun in his arms, trying to call him up as he was already in half-conscious state. Yongguk's face was all that he could see before everything went black.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

If you love somebody, let them go.

If they return, they were always yours.

If they don’t, they never were.

 

 


 

Is it to cliché? No? Just okay? Idek but I tried and I hope you guys can take this omg T^T

So the next chapter is the last chapter oh no ╥_╥

 

Thanks to all upvoters, subscribers, commenters and readers! I really love you guys (^з^)~♥