Chapter Eighteen

A Change Of Heart

 

                Daehyun woke up on an empty bed. The curtains had not been drawn open but he could see the sun was rising outside. That showed it was late in the morning and Yongguk had already gone to work. He stretched his body, making his stuffed bunny rolled out of his arms.

                “Eh?” Daehyun didn’t remember Bokshil was there last night. As far as he knew, Yongguk had put it in his old room together with the toy friends because they didn’t have enough space to ‘sleep’. No, Yongguk was not jealous of a stuffed toy that got more skinship from his wife.

                Taking Bokshil back to him, Daehyun noticed there was something in the front pocket of the bunny’s shirt. He pulled it out and it was his phone. Daehyun frowned but he still unlocked it and saw an unread message.

 

From : Gukie Yeobo

Morning, jagi… you should sleep more if you’re tired but if you’re hungry, I’ve made breakfast for you. It’s in the kitchen ‘cause I know you banned food from entering bedrooms. Don’t do any chores! Take care!! ^3^

Loving you too much,

Your handsome husband <3

 

                Daehyun laughed out loud as he read the last part. But he immediately stopped when his stomach was feeling cramped again. Damn, he shouldn’t laugh that much. It’s all Yongguk’s fault. The message was sent two hours ago when Yongguk usually left for work. He wondered if the breakfast had gotten cold.

                Slowly, he got off the bed and went to the bathroom to brush his teeth. Then he made his way down the stairs to the kitchen. There was a food cover on the table. He lifted it up and it was true that his breakfast was readily made by his husband. It’s nothing much. Just some fried rice with boiled egg. But that could do. It looked quite delicious and made him hungry in instant.

                The food tasted really good. Daehyun nodded to himself as he ate it. He really should ask Yongguk to cook more often. At the thought of the older man, Daehyun let out a heavy sigh. He felt so lonely eating without his husband and being alone in the house. He’s suddenly missing him.

                “Come home fast, yeobo…” He mumbled grumpily. If he was at the hospital, he could talk to the nurses or the doctor but here, he was bored as hell.

                Taking the dishes to the sink, Daehyun realized he was not supposed to do any works. But washing a single plate wouldn’t do any harm. But if Yongguk knew, an angry Yongguk was pretty scary too. Daehyun contemplated. He shrugged it off and decided to follow the first conscience anyway.

                Later on, Daehyun had taken a shower and now he was watching the TV. He’s still bored though. The channels were flipped constantly but nothing could interest him. He really hoped there’s someone to talk to. But he wasn’t expecting his wish would be granted this quick. So when the doorbell rang, he wondered who it could be.

                Daehyun opened the door and he was greeted by the sight of a happy Kyungsoo.

                “Daehyun!” Kyungsoo threw his hands up in excitement. “It’s been so long! I missed you,” He pulled the other into a tight hug while Daehyun blinked his eyes, still grasping the situation.

                “Kyungsoo hyung,” Daehyun muttered, a smile forming by his lips.

                Kyungsoo backed away to cup Daehyun’s face. “Look at you. You’ve gotten a lot skinnier. And what are you wearing?” He gestured to the big loose shirt that almost covered up Daehyun’s short pants.

                Daehyun looked down to his own body. “Oh, this. It’s Yongguk’s shirt. I’ve run out of clothes to wear ‘cause Yongguk doesn’t let me do the laundry,” He smiled sheepishly. He had told Yongguk about it but the elder didn’t have time for the laundry during the weekdays. So Yongguk lent him some clothes and promised to do it this weekend.

                “Your husband sure is caring,” Kyungsoo nodded while pursing his lips. “And Daehyun, you’re going to let me in or not?”

                Daehyun had a sudden realization. “Oh yeah, sure hyung. Come on in,” He stepped back to let the latter in before closing the door. “What brings you here?”

                “Your caring husband, of course,” Kyungsoo followed Daehyun’s lead as the younger held onto his arm, bringing him to the living room. “He was like – could you please check on him? I’m so worried. Please don’t let him do anything heavy and blah blah blah…”

                Both of them had taken a seat on the couch. Daehyun looked up, eyes wide. “So…you knew…?”

                Kyungsoo reached out to hold Daehyun’s hand. “That’s because Yongguk told it to Joonmyeon, and Joonmyeon tells everything to me,” He pulled a reassuring smile and Daehyun seemed less tense. “How are you feeling?”

                Daehyun smiled, glad to have someone to talk to who understands him. “Much better.”

                “Good. I know you could handle it. You’re a strong person,” Kyungsoo gave Daehyun’s hand a squeeze before softly caressing his cheek. They stared at each other and Daehyun felt like he had gained some sort of strength from the elder.

                “So,” Kyungsoo spoke up, breaking their sentimental moment. “Since you can’t do anything, I’m going to make the lunch,” He got up and looked around the house in search of the kitchen.

                “Oh, no hyung, you don’t have to,” Daehyun too stood up, tugging Kyungsoo’s sleeve to make him sit down again.

                “I don’t have to but I want to.”

                “But hyung – ”

                “Just show me the kitchen or you’ll starve to death.”

                “But – ”

                “I’ll let you help and I won’t tell Yongguk hyung about it,” Kyungsoo wiggled his eyebrows.

                Daehyun chuckled at the offer before sighing in defeat. “Fine, hyung. Come this way,” He pulled the elder’s hand towards the kitchen. “Aren’t you supposed to be working now? At your bakery?” He asked quizzically.

                Kyungsoo shrugged. “I’m the owner of the bakery. My workers can run the shop for me. Don’t worry about it. And I’m thinking of baking a cake for you.”

                Daehyun stopped and turned to the other. “Really, hyung?” His eyes were sparkling, not that different from a pleading kitten. Now Kyungsoo knew why Joonmyeon always said that Yongguk’s wife looked like a cute bubbly kid.

                “Yup, just for you,” He pinched Daehyun’s cheek before going to start his work.

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

                The lunch was done while them talking nonstop about this and that. Daehyun did help but the tasks given by Kyungsoo didn’t need him to move around, just sitting still at the table. But the thing Daehyun had been long awaited was the dessert. Kyungsoo made a chocolate cake and he had never seen someone so excited to eat it.

                He stared at Daehyun as the younger devoured the cake. It made him happy to see Daehyun was recovering fast. All the things that happened to a sweet person like him was so terrible and unfair.

“How is Yongguk?” He asked after a long moment of silence.

                “Hm?” Daehyun looked up, slightly frowning as he found that question was quite weird. “He’s fine. Why do you ask?”

                Kyungsoo shook his head. “It’s just… you know… I’m afraid he would feel pressured. The one who did this to you is his own ex,” He wanted to stop there but Daehyun had given him a full attention as if he needed more explanation. “As far as I know from what Joonmyeon had told me, Yongguk hated it when Jihyun would find him, begging for him to come back to her. But now, that woman has changed her target and started bothering you. Yongguk must feel depressed, moreover after what happened to you.”

                Daehyun fell into a deep thought. All this while, it had been Yongguk who listened to him, hugged him and wiped the tears away. He would always seek comfort from his husband but he never wondered if the other ever needed one.

                “He doesn’t need to worry too much. Everything’s going to be fine,” Daehyun assured.

                Kyungsoo nodded in agreement. “It’s good to know that you didn’t put the blame on him.”

                “I won’t. He didn’t do anything wrong.”

                “And you love him,” Kyungsoo added with a playful smile, making Daehyun’s cheeks to redden.

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

               The clock was ticking incredibly slowly for Yongguk’s liking. He never wanted to go home this bad. He missed Daehyun and very much concerned on how the younger was doing; if he’s in pain again, if he’s crying again, if he got bored. He just hoped that Kyungsoo could take care of his wife while he’s working.

                Stretching his body in the chair, Yongguk’s eyes caught a picture frame which was placed at the corner of his table. His lips naturally curved upwards seeing the photo of Daehyun and himself during their honeymoon-like vacation. They were in traditional clothes, cheeks pressed together as he was back hugging the smaller man with their bright smiles.

                He remembered that time, when his love was not yet returned by the other. It was such a suffering to his soul, craving Daehyun to be his and only his. Daehyun was so alluring, so beautiful inside and out. No matter how hard to erase his feelings, they kept growing stronger and stronger everyday.

                But now he wondered, if it’s the right thing to fall in love with him. What if he just ignored those feelings? What if he just kept them to himself? What if he didn’t tell Daehyun about it? What if they just follow the initial plan?

                One thing for sure, Daehyun wouldn’t be hurt, Daehyun wouldn’t be crying. Maybe Inguk really didn’t deserve to be with Daehyun. But what made him does? He realized he was no better than the idol, to make Daehyun go through such a severe hardship, in which it was caused by his love towards the other.

                His thumb softly Daehyun’s beautiful face in the picture. The younger was so perfect in Yongguk’s eyes that sometimes he forgot that Daehyun was his wife, his own wedded partner. It was so surreal and made his stomach flipped every time he had a thought about it.

                The beeping of his phone needed him to avert his eyes from his beloved person. He placed the frame back into its original place before taking his phone.

 

From : Joonmyeon’s wife

I’ve put Daehyun to rest in his room and give him a book to read in case he gets bored again. I have to go to fetch the kids now.

 

To : Joonmyeon’s wife

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it

 

                Yongguk smiled, thinking that his wife was doing fine. The reason he asked Kyungsoo to check on Daehyun because the worried feeling was bugging him all the time. He couldn’t focus on his work. If he could, he would go home during the lunchtime but his work accumulated since he took a day off yesterday. He just couldn’t wait to go home and end his longing towards the younger.

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

               As soon as Yongguk stepped into the house, he received a hug attack from his wife and before he could say anything, Daehyun stole a warm kiss from him. He just froze in his spot, automatically throwing an arm around Daehyun’s waist as the smaller man clung onto his neck.

                “Wow,” Yongguk breathed out after they pulled apart, noticing how cute and tiny his wife looked in his shirt. “That’s new.”

                “Because I missed you so much,” Daehyun stood on his toes again for another short kiss.

                “Really? You missed me that much?” Yongguk arched up his brows and Daehyun nodded with a pout. “Well, I missed you too, jagi. But could we save the cuddle and kisses later after the dinner?” He lifted a bag of the takeaway food, showing it to the latter.

                Daehyun felt like rolling his eyes at the mention of food. He had been eating and resting all day long. But since Yongguk was the one to bring the food home, he would eat it anyway, not admitting he’s also really hungry right now.

                “Oh, and here,” Yongguk crouched down to pick something which he put together with his briefcase. “Minsoo gave this to you,” He handed out a bouquet of flowers.

                Daehyun gasped. “It’s beautiful,” He took it and smelled the fresh scent of the white daisies.

                Yongguk ruffled Daehyun’s hair before leaving to the kitchen to prepare the dinner. Daehyun was still grinning at the gift he received. There’s also a card slipped in between those flowers that read ‘Get well soon, Daehyunnie’ and a smiley at the end. Minsoo was really a sweetheart, just like his brother.

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

                Daehyun lied on the bed, wiggling his feet as he waited for Yongguk to finish whatever his business in the bathroom. His act got Yongguk smiling after he came out from there with a towel hanging around his neck.

                “Ready to sleep?” Yongguk asked and Daehyun hummed. He went to turn off the lights, leaving only the bedside lamp to illuminate the room. He wiped his face one last time before putting the towel on the rail so he could finally get under the covers beside his wife.

                Daehyun immediately snuggled into his husband’s open arm, resting his head on the broad chest. He had discovered that Yongguk’s warmth could be a more effective method to put him to sleep compared to the three layers of blankets.

                Yongguk kissed Daehyun’s forehead as a way to say goodnight. Daehyun sighed in content and Yongguk knew the younger was already going to his dreamland when he heard the soft snores. It really just took seconds for Daehyun to fell asleep if they were together.

                The night was getting later but Yongguk still couldn’t bring himself to sleep. His mind was playing the thought he had at the office again. He moved away from Daehyun and let him sleep on the pillow. Lying on his side, Yongguk stared at the innocent sleeping face of his wife. Good thing Daehyun had gotten rid of his habit of hiding his face when he’s sleeping. Despite the small healing scars, his face looked so peaceful that it could always make Yongguk forgot all the problems he had.

                However tonight, Daehyun’s face could only bring sadness to him. Since he had seen that face contorted in pain because of him, Yongguk’s heart clenched and his chest tightened. He could feel it, the tears he was holding in all this while were slowly spilling out of his eyes, wetting the pillow under his head.

                Yongguk quickly sat up. He couldn’t be there or more tears would fall. So he got out of their room and went to his old room. He sat by the windowsill where the moon was shining its bright light into his dark room. He was wrong when he thought the tears would stop because they kept flowing instead. He decided to let them be, just for tonight.

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

               Daehyun felt different. This was not how he fell asleep earlier. The pillow was too soft, it’s not Yongguk. He stretched out his hand but there’s nobody by his side. His eyes snapped open and it’s true Yongguk was not there. He got up, looking around the room. Yongguk was nowhere to be seen and he began to feel anxious because something like this had never happened before.

                Daehyun cautiously walked out of the room. The entire house was dark and in complete silence. His eyes wandered around before catching a ray of moonlight coming from the opened door of another room. He approached it without making any noise. The closer he got, the louder the sound of someone’s sobbing.

                His heart thumped. The thought of a crying Yongguk made his stomach churned. He had not yet seen his husband’s tears with his own eyes and he didn’t know if he was ready to. Taking a hesitant step to stand in front of the door, he quietly pushed it wider.

                There was a hunched figure sitting by the window, looking up to the night sky as he let his tears dampened his face. At the same moment, Daehyun’s heart broke into pieces, seeing his man in such a miserable state, and he was not being by his side.

                He gulped before forcing out his voice which came out just above a whisper. “Yeobo…?”

                Yongguk’s head swung to the direction of the other in surprise. Their eyes locked for a moment before he turned back to hide his face as he realized that he was actually crying. He cleared his throat, secretly wiping the tears away although he knew he was already caught. “Weren’t you sleeping?”

                “W-What about you…? What are you doing here…?” Daehyun dragged his feet towards the elder, standing right at his front.

                “I…” Yongguk breathed out a shaky breath. He was gathering enough courage to look up to meet Daehyun’s eyes again. But once he did, those eyes were already flooded with tears.

                “Daehyun-ah…” He brought a hand up to caress the puffy cheek. “Don’t do this to me…” He choked a sob, unable to hold it in anymore, not when Daehyun was looking at him with those glistening eyes. His wife cried again because of him.

                Daehyun’s lips trembled. He didn’t even know he was crying. Without reasons, he just cried. Yongguk’s words were ignored as he leaned down to hug his husband.

                Yongguk returned the hug, his hold on Daehyun’s body was tight, making the younger fully seated on his lap. His sobs were muffled by the narrow shoulder. So he shut his eyes and cried his heart out.

                “You shouldn’t be like this…” He whispered because Daehyun shouldn’t be crying along with him. Daehyun should just pretend he didn’t see anything and forget about it later. Daehyun shouldn’t be too kind for his own sake.

                “But I don’t know what I should do…” Daehyun murmured near his ear. "I'm sorry..."

                "Don't be... You should just leave me alone…”

                “I can’t. I love you.”

                Those three words caused more tears to shed. He clenched his teeth, feeling so painful to hear it. Holding to Daehyun’s arm, he created a distance between them. “Why? Why do you love me?”

                Daehyun was forced to look into Yongguk’s eyes once again. They’re swollen, red and full of tears, tormenting his tender soul. His brows knitted together as if he was suffering more that the elder. “Because it’s what my heart says,” He lifted a hand to place it on the side of Yongguk’s face. “You’re the person who I want to give my whole heart to.”

                Yongguk shook his head, looking down to Daehyun’s lap which was on top of his. “But you’re not happy with me. I hurt you, I made you cry.”

                Daehyun’s mouth gaped, hard to believe what he just heard from his husband. “Yongguk, you didn’t!” He held onto Yongguk’s face, now with both of his hands as he tried to make the older man to look at him again. “Don’t say that! I am happy when I’m with you!”

                Yongguk grabbed Daehyun’s wrist, rubbing his thumb on the back of the soft hand. His other hand was secured around Daehyun’s waist. It took a while for him to finally look up as he waited for the tears to subside. “We can’t be together. It’s dangerous for you,” He uttered in a deeper stern voice.

                Daehyun was frantic to hear that. “Are you talking about Jihyun? Don’t worry about her. The police will take care of it.”

                “What if they don’t? She’s still not caught and she can do anything to you.”

                The statement rendered Daehyun speechless. He stared at Yongguk, restless and scared.

                Heavy breaths left Yongguk’s mouth. He turned his head to the side in order to avoid Daehyun’s agitated gaze. “I’m sending you back to Busan.”

                “What?! No!” Daehyun shrieked, searching for Yongguk’s face. His hands pulled Yongguk’s shirt into fists. “Yongguk, I don’t want to! I want to be here, with you!” He wailed and begged. “I promise I’ll listen to you, I’ll be more careful, I’ll protect myself from – ”

                “I should be the one to protect you!” Yongguk barked, causing Daehyun to flinch. His eyes were now fixed to the younger’s. “But I couldn’t! I couldn’t protect the one I love!”

                Their tears began to fall for the nth time in the same night. Daehyun’s body was shivering as he silently cried, his pleading gaze remained on the elder.

               Yongguk didn’t mean to yell. He wasn’t mad at Daehyun but himself. He embraced his wife, fingers running through the silky hair. “You said you’ll listen to me, right? Then please, stay in Busan until everything is settled around here.”

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

If I hadn’t met you, I wouldn’t like you. If I hadn’t liked you, I wouldn’t love you. If I wouldn’t love you, I wouldn’t miss you.

But I did, I do and I will.

 

 


Thanks a lot to upvoters, subscribers, commentors, and readers! <3<3<3