Chapter Nineteen

A Change Of Heart

 

               The laughter erupted from the TV couldn’t put Daehyun’s heart at ease. The scene where Yongguk was crying kept repeating in his mind. Just by that thought, he felt like crying again. He pitied his husband. That man married him because he wanted to get away with the obsessed woman. But Yongguk was still stuck with her even after they had fallen in love with each other. He felt useless. He couldn’t help Yongguk to get rid of Jihyun. He couldn’t even protect himself and made Yongguk really worried about him.

                The house was quieter today. Kyungsoo couldn’t come because he was short of workers at his bakery. So Daehyun was left alone and bored in the living room. After a week of that unfortunate incident, his stomach didn’t hurt as much as before. He could already function as a normal person but Yongguk still didn’t let him do anything, not until he said Daehyun could.

                It’s one in the afternoon when Daehyun heard the front door opened and closed. He gazed at Yongguk who was coming to him before kissing his forehead and caressing his hair.

                “Hungry?” Yongguk asked.

                Daehyun smiled and nodded although he didn’t feel like eating right now. Yongguk took a hold of his hand and pulled him to the kitchen. They sat beside each other. It’s a new habit Yongguk had formed since Daehyun was admitted to the hospital. Everytime he was feeding the younger, his arm would slip around Daehyun’s slender waist, afraid if Daehyun was feeling hurt anywhere or too weak to sit on his own. Yongguk had grown even more protective after the incident. It’s not that Daehyun didn’t like it. Just sometimes, Yongguk worried too much about him.

                “Have you told your parents about it?” Yongguk spoke up, his hand Daehyun’s side. Daehyun hummed while fiddling with the food, knowing that the elder was referring about sending him back to Busan.

                “What did you say?”

                Daehyun shrugged. “I said the truth. I told them that I have a miscarriage,” He replied without meeting Yongguk’s eyes.

                Yongguk was quite surprised by that. He thought that Daehyun would never bring up that topic to them. But on a second thought, they’re Daehyun’s parents and they deserved to know everything about their only son. He understood if they’re mad at him because he couldn’t take care of Daehyun well enough.

                “They didn’t ask how?”

                “I said that I slipped and fell in the bathroom,” Daehyun sighed, thinking about the lie he made to his parents.

                The air was filled with silence for the next seconds. Both of them were more interested in staring at the food rather than eating it. Yongguk’s hand was still clinging on Daehyun’s waist, his thumb rubbing softly against the shirt fabric.

                “So… are you ready to go?” Yongguk muttered. He could feel the smaller body beside him tensed immediately.

                Daehyun put his spoon down before fidgeting with his fingers under the table. He bit his lips, feeling the tears started to form in his eyes. “No… I’m not…” He murmured under his shaky breaths but his husband had clearly heard it.

                Yongguk tightened his hold around his wife, bringing their bodies closer to each other. He knew Daehyun was crying. His chest would be in pain with every single tear that fell from Daehyun’s eyes. It’s like a magical bond formed between two souls, in which both of them could feel each other.

                “Jagi… you have to…” Though reluctant, Yongguk forced the words out of his mouth. His hand cupped Daehyun’s cheek, lifting the face to look at him. This time he felt like his heart was being torn apart. The tears kept rolling down, Daehyun didn’t try to hold them in anymore.

                Daehyun brought up his hand, tracing the perfect features of Yongguk’s face. “I’m going to miss you…” He said between heavy sobs.

                Yongguk’s lips began to quiver but he quickly pressed them together to hide it. Before the younger could see his tears, he pulled Daehyun into a warm hug. “I know…” He mumbled against Daehyun’s neck, breathing in the faint flowery scent from his wife. “I’m gonna miss you too…” He kissed the skin there, the ear and the temple, letting his lips lingered around while Daehyun just stayed still with hands gripping onto his shirt. “…so much…”

                Yongguk himself was never sure if sending Daehyun away was a good decision. He wasn’t sure if he could be apart from his wife. But when something like this came up, Daehyun’s safety was far more important than anything else. He believed he needed to do this. It’s for Daehyun’s good…right?

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

               “I want you to drop the charges.”

                That’s the first thing Yongguk heard after he had picked up a call from an unknown number. He didn’t have to guess who it was. He knew that voice too well. A voice that could make his blood boiled and anger seeping through his veins. His grip on the phone tightened as he roughly pushed his chair to stand up and began pacing in the middle of his office.

                “Are you kidding?! Why should I?!” He yelled. “You’ve hurt my wife and made him lose our baby!”

                The fact that Jihyun was the one calling him made him feel like he was one step closer to find her. He felt like going to that woman and dragged her to the police by himself.

                Yongguk stood still when he didn’t get any response. Only Jihyun’s heavy breathing that could be heard on the line.

                “Drop the charges…” Jihyun muttered. “…or I’ll kill myself…”

                Yongguk’s breath hitched. He would never expect Jihyun to threaten him like this. She wanted to kill herself because of him. If he let her do it, he would be a person worse than Jihyun. His furious state was slowly turning to be anxious. His mind was jumbled up in a mess.

                “No… You can’t do that…,” Yongguk breathed out while shaking his head. “I- I can’t do that…  If you’re not arrested, you’ll harm my wife again…”

                Jihyun let out a soft chuckle. “Am I that obvious? That’s why I told you to break up with him. It is that easy. Why can’t you understand? If I can’t have you, nobody can,” She said sternly.

                Yongguk felt his knees were giving up on him. He quickly trudged to the sofa before flopping onto it. His body was getting sweaty and his head was pounding. He massaged his temple with his free hand to reduce the growing ache.

                “I want you to leave him and come back to me. Or I’ll really kill myself and it’ll be your fault. Don’t think I wouldn’t dare to do it,” Jihyun hung up right after that.

                Yongguk couldn’t hold it in. He didn’t care if he was a sobbing mess now. He just wanted to let all of his feelings out. He cried and screamed in his soundproof office. The phone in his hand was thrown to the wall, causing the screen to crack.

                This was the biggest decision he needed to make in his life. And it involved someone’s life too. He really didn’t want to drop the charges towards Jihyun because that woman should be punished on what she had done to his wife. But when Jihyun mentioned about committing suicide, his stance wavered. It would be a nightmare knowing that someone killed themselves because of him. But if he dropped the charges, Jihyun would remain to be free and she might hurt Daehyun again. Also, maybe he could be arrested for making a false report.

                During times like this, Yongguk could only pray to God that he would make a right decision.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

               Daehyun was dozing off on his bed when the doorbell rang. He sat up with sleepy eyes and pouty lips, putting the book he was reading previously on the bedside table. He groggily walked out of the room to open the door, but not before stopping by the mirror to make sure he looked presentable to the guest.

                Never in his wildest dreams would he expect to see Inguk standing in front of his door.

                Daehyun only let the door half opened because that’s what Yongguk told him to. His eyes widened in surprise while the man before him was calm and collected.

               “Can we talk…?” Inguk asked sheepishly.

                That voice broke Daehyun’s trance. He stared at Inguk, thinking of an answer.

                Inguk couldn’t meet his eyes. The older man just observed his foot scraping the ground, both of his hands were tucked in the pockets. When he looked up, Daehyun’s eyes flickered. The younger nodded and told him to wait outside.

                After a short while, Daehyun came out of the house in warm clothes. He walked to the few steps at the front and sat at the very top of them.

Inguk followed suit. He wondered why he wasn’t invited into the house. He hadn’t covered his face like always. But that wasn’t his biggest concern right now. He glanced at Daehyun, contemplating on his words since Daehyun seemed unwilling. The younger was quietly fixing his gaze at his lap.

                “I’m…” Inguk cleared his throat to get a clearer voice. “I’m sorry…for hurting you last time…”

                Daehyun instantly turned to the other. The word sorry sounded so foreign to be said by Inguk. Then he realized, it’s the first time Inguk ever said the word genuinely after such a long time.

                “It’s okay,” He uttered. “I’ve forgave you a long time ago.”

                “I’m sorry for accusing you on the thing you didn’t have any idea about,”Inguk locked his eyes with Daehyun’s round ones and Daehyun was certain that he was really sincere about it.

                Daehyun shook his head. “You didn’t know about it either,” He pulled a thin smile.

                Inguk was feeling guiltier because Daehyun was supposed to be mad at him “I’m sorry for putting you through this trouble…” His apology was more like begging for forgiveness now.

                “Why do you keep saying sorry?” Daehyun frowned. “You did nothing wrong.”

                “You know I did,” Inguk’s tone raised a little. “I ignored you. I didn’t treat you the way I should.”

                Even if Daehyun could forgive him that easily, he couldn’t. He was so angry at himself for doing such thing to the person he loved.

                Inguk tried to suppress the tears that were threatening to fall as he stared deeply into Daehyun’s liquid eyes. “I…would never want you to leave me. It has never crossed my mind that you’ll leave me for another man. I thought… I should just keep you as a secret… from the media and the fans… because, you know, they won’t be good not just to me, but even you. I don’t want you to suffer because of me,” He paused and heaved a breath. “But I guess, I did it the wrong way. I was stupid. I didn’t realize how much you mean to me until the day you turned your back to me…”

                Daehyun averted his gaze somewhere else. He cried silently although he promised himself to not let out any tears again because of this guy. But his bottled up feelings, anger and frustration were bursting in his chest with a familiar pain.

                “Daehyun-ah…” Inguk grabbed Daehyun’s hands, making Daehyun to turn back to him. “I still love you… I missed you… I would do anything to have you back in my life. I promise you I’ll treat you like an angel you are. I would even quit being an idol just to be with you. I want nothing in my life as much as I want you…”

                Daehyun shook his head as he reduced his sobs. “But hyung… it’s your dream to become a singer. I don’t want you to quit your dream…” He said and Inguk had seen it coming. He always told Daehyun about it and the younger had continuously given him a strong support. It’s what made him to be who he was today. He shouldn’t have taken it for granted.

                Daehyun put a hand on top of Inguk’s, squeezing it tightly. “I loved you, but not anymore…”

                Inguk could almost hear the shattering sound of his heart. Finally, Daehyun said those words he was too afraid to face before.

                “My heart has changed. I love Yongguk now, with all my heart,” Daehyun added, firm and assured. “I’m afraid that… it will never return to you. I’m sorry…”

                By this time, Inguk certainly knew that he had lost the person he treasured the most.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

                Yongguk wasn’t sure about his feelings anymore. His heart clenched seeing his wife hugging another man. He was jealous and he wanted to be mad. But he couldn’t when the man embracing his wife was Inguk.

                Daehyun and Inguk were once lovers. He was the one that came in between them and broke them apart. He ruined their relationship. And now, the karma was happening to him.

                He stayed in the car, parked quite a distant from his house but he could get a clear view of both Daehyun and Inguk. He had no idea on what they’re talking about and his mind was too occupied with other things to think about it. Daehyun seemed to be crying. He would’ve launched an attack to Inguk if he hadn’t saw him crying too. He waited until Inguk wiped Daehyun’s tears away and smiled before taking his leave.

                Daehyun stayed there, hugging his knees as he looked to the cars moving on the road. Yongguk stared at his wife. He always had a thought that Daehyun was getting more and more beautiful everyday. But Daehyun wouldn’t believe him. His heart would skip a beat each time he gazed at those pretty eyes, button nose and plump lips, when Daehyun was being oblivious. If Daehyun noticed him, he would tell him how beautiful he was. Daehyun would completely turn red and said he was lying.

                Maybe he loved Daehyun too much.

                Yongguk drove his car and stopped in front of his house. Daehyun straightened his body, his brows furrowed as he looked at his husband coming out from the car. He quickly cleaned the tear stains on his cheeks using his sleeves.

                “Why are you outside in this weather?” Yongguk asked softly, tugging on Daehyun’s arm to make him stand up.

                “I… I was…” Daehyun stuttered, afraid if the elder would get angry at him if he told the truth.

                “Let’s go in,” Yongguk held the smaller hand in his as he walked into the house.

                Daehyun sensed something was off. Yongguk was being weird for not scolding him when he didn’t listen to him. “Yeobo…? What’s wrong?”

                His question was ignored. Yongguk brought him to sit on the couch, facing each other with one leg folded. His husband wrapped his arms around him, his head dropped onto his shoulder before sighing heavily.

                Yongguk was usually like this when he’s tired or when he’s stressed out from his work. Like always, Daehyun would just lend his shoulder to him, rubbing circles on his back and running those slender fingers through his hair.

                He was enjoying the soothing hands of his wife that he hummed in content. He pulled Daehyun closer before nuzzling into the crook of his neck. Daehyun was glad when Yongguk would find him during his hard times and not keeping his problems to himself. For once, he could make Yongguk to lean on him instead of the other way around in most of the times.

                “Your flight is tomorrow, right?” Yongguk spoke up. “What time is it again?”

                “Ten in the morning,” Daehyun retorted. He guessed that maybe Yongguk was being like this because they’re going to be separated by a long distance after this.

                Yongguk turned silent for a while. Daehyun thought his husband was falling asleep. But the elder slowly pulled apart, looking at him hesitantly.

                “Do you think…I should drop the charges on that woman?” Yongguk asked timidly.

                It took a moment for Daehyun to absorb Yongguk’s words, noting the woman Yongguk’s talking about was Jihyun. “What? You want to withdraw the police report?” He almost couldn’t believe Yongguk was considering about that. “Are you serious?! After what she had done to me?!” He snapped, clenching his hands into shuddering fists.

                Yongguk sighed at the expected response. “She called… She said that she will kill herself if I don’t.”

                “But… but she should be arrested…” Daehyun shook his head. “She was lying. Why did you listen to her?! Do you still love her?!”

                Yongguk’s eyes bulged. “What?! No, Daehyun! How could you say that?! I love you!” He grabbed Daehyun’s arms, shaking the thin figure vigorously. “Why are you being mad like this? Was I even mad at you when you’re meeting with Inguk just now?!”

                It’s Daehyun’s turn to gape at the other. He shoved Yongguk’s hands away before getting off the couch. “I didn’t do anything with him!”

                Yongguk too got onto his feet. “I know! Because I trusted you! But you…?”

                “You said that you’ll drop the charges on her! It’s not fair! I’m the one who suffered from her doings!” Daehyun bellowed in anger.

                “But she wanted to kill herself!” Yongguk countered.

                “She killed my baby!”

                Daehyun’s yell echoed throughout the house. He was short of breaths after the outburst. Yongguk pursed his lips as they kept staring at each other. Daehyun was on the brink of tears and Yongguk averted his eyes to the side, feeling the pain in his chest again. His lips quivered as he tried to hold his tears, but he gave up and flopped himself back onto the couch.

                “You said that you love me…” Daehyun muttered between sobs. “That’s not what you promised before we got married. You said that we’ll get a divorce after two years… You didn’t keep your promise.”

                Yongguk was stiffened with his head drooped to hide his tears from the latter. It was true but he couldn’t help it. He fell in love with his own wife.

                “I wasn’t mad because you made me fell in love with you too,” Daehyun whimpered. “And then, you promised me you’ll make her apologizes and receives her punishment… But you broke that promise too…”

                Daehyun was unable to say anything more after that. It was too painful for him. The house became quiet again. Only their silent cries lingered in the space.

                “If you want me to keep my promise,” Yongguk spoke up with trembling voice. “We’ll really get a divorce…”

                Daehyun felt like his world was crashing down on him, the bright day suddenly turned darker. His heart ached. The pain was unbearable. He was angry and sad at the same time. He never thought Yongguk would really do that. Yongguk was a liar and he was losing hope.

                “How can you do this to me…?” He whispered but Yongguk still didn’t lift his head. He just wanted to cry his heart out. But not in front of the elder. So he ran to his room, leaving Yongguk all alone in the living room.

                Yongguk let the tears flooded his cheeks. He was tired of holding them in. He was tired of everything. “… I can’t handle seeing you suffer because of me anymore…”

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

Take a look at what you have.

Think of all you did to get it.

Remember it only takes one second to lose.

 


 

I'm so sorry for the long wait. It's a struggle to update when finals are nearing >.<

but I love you guys! Thank you for being patient!! <3<3<3