Chapter Twenty

A Change Of Heart

 

                Yongguk d the other side of the bed, still in his sleepy state, in search of the person he loved to hold in his arms every morning. When he found nothing, he cracked his eyes open to have a look. Only then he remembered that he had slept in his old room.

                He and Daehyun didn’t talk to each other the whole night. They ate dinner separately and Daehyun went to bed first. It’s not like Daehyun locked the door to forbid him from entering the room. But he thought that maybe they could use some time alone for the night. Also, he’s afraid he might end up making his wife cry again.

                Yongguk sat up on the bed, groggily rubbing his face and scratching his head. It’s still early in the morning but Daehyun was leaving today. Just at the thought made his heart skipped a beat. Finally, the day had come.

               After a couple of yawns, he dragged himself to the bathroom to brush his teeth. Awhile later, he walked out of the room without bothering to put on any shirt except for his short pants. He went to their bedroom, slowly twisting the knob and peered inside.

                Daehyun was packing up his things. There weren’t many of them, just a luggage and a backpack. But like always, he was having a hard time to close the luggage placed on the bed.

                Quietly, Yongguk padded to the younger and took over the difficult luggage. The startled Daaehyun just stared blankly at him.

                Yongguk finished zipping it before resting his hands on the hips. “Anything else you want me to help?” He asked without meeting Daehyun’s eyes.

                Daehyun switched his attention to his backpack. “No,” His tone was cold and dull.

                Yongguk turned to his wife. The latter didn’t seem to be angry or sad. He just seemed…tired.

                “Go and have your breakfast. I’ve prepared it,” Daehyun said while putting some other things into the bag.

                Yongguk nodded although he was out of Daehyun’s range of sight. But he didn’t feel like moving his feet yet. “So…should we stop by my parents’ house first?”

                Daehyun hummed in response. Yongguk wanted to say more but nothing was playing in his mind. Thus, he slowly walked away from there, eyes gazing to his wife’s back as he tried to resist the urge to wrap the smaller figure in his arms.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

               “Are you really okay right now? Doesn’t feel hurt anywhere?” Mrs. Bang asked worriedly as they were standing at the door of her house. She caressed Daehyun’s face as she held onto his arm. Daehyun smiled, shaking his head.

                “Can you go on your own?” Mr. Bang was also full of concern. His hand was rubbing Daehyun’s back.

                Daehyun nodded. “I’ll be fine. Don’t worry,” He assured.

                “You should just stay here with us,” Mrs. Bang cupped Daehyun’s cheeks. “We can take care of you.”

                “I’d love to,” Daehyun placed his hands on top of his mother-in-law’s. “But Yongguk thought it’s better for me to go to my hometown. And besides, I kinda miss my mom and my dad,” He pouted at the end, just having a thought that it would cheer up his in-laws.

                Both Mr. and Mrs. Bang chuckled at their adorable son-in-law. Mrs. Bang pulled Daehyun into a tight hug, followed by her husband.

                “You need to take care of yourself when you’re back in Busan,” Mrs. Bang said.

                “Yeah, you need to come home soon,” Mr. Bang added.

                They parted after quite a while. Mrs. Bang smiled softly to Daehyun. “You’re a strong person. I’m so proud of you,” She Daehyun’s hair and indeed glad that Daehyun only needed a short time to recover from the miscarriage both physically and mentally.

                “Don’t be sad, alright? Everything happens for a reason,” Mr. Bang reminded. Daehyun could only pull a smile, looking over the older man’s shoulder to gaze at Yongguk, who was waiting for him while leaning against the car.

                “Daehyun!” Minsoo’s shout grabbed all of their attention. He looked like he just got out of the shower with his wet hair. He quickly went to them before catching Daehyun’s hand in his, pulling him further into the house. The parents just let them be and walked out to have some talks with Yongguk.

                “Are you really going back to Busan?” Minsoo inquired impatiently.

                “I am.”

                Minsoo’s face fell. He’s going to miss Daehyun. “So, how long are you gonna postpone your study?”

                Daehyun shrugged. “I’m not sure about that yet.”

                “Is Yongguk hyung gonna be okay? Minsoo asked and Daehyun raised his brows at the younger. He was the one leaving. Why would Minsoo be concerned about his brother?

                Seeing Daehyun’s confused expression, Minsoo continued. “I mean… the same woman who once made his life miserable has returned, and hurting the person he loves the most. I’m afraid he’d go to his old self, to be depressed again,” He turned to look at Yongguk. Daehyun too began to stare at his husband’s peaceful face. Only he knew what’s hiding behind it.

                “I thought that maybe, if you’re there by his side, it’s going to be okay,” Minsoo spoke up again. “But then, he’s the one who wants to send you away. I guess…” He turned back to Daehyun. “…he loves you more than anything.”

                Daehyun shifted his eyes to Minsoo, looking intently at him, making sure Minsoo was telling him the truth. It was similar to what Kyungsoo had told him before. He tried to convince himself and Yongguk that everything would be alright. But things only got worse since the call from Jihyun. He just didn’t know what to believe anymore. If Yongguk loved him, he wouldn’t want to drop the charges, he wouldn’t send him away. He wouldn’t want to divorce him.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

               The drive to the airport was silent. Only the faint sound of music from the radio could be heard. Most of it was ballad songs, just how Daehyun would’ve liked it. Yongguk didn’t have any intention to change the channel because he loved it when Daehyun would sing along to the lilting lyrics. But today, Daehyun kept his mouth shut while looking out of the window. That’s until they stopped at a red light.

                “About yesterday…” Daehyun muttered in a low voice. Yongguk who was about to turn up the volume of the radio had to slow it down, just to hear Daehyun’s next words. “…did you… really mean it?” Daehyun asked, still gazing at the buildings by the street.

                Yongguk placed his hand back onto the steering wheel. “No…” He replied, eyes focused to the traffic lights. “I won’t drop the charges. I’ll find another way.”

                Daehyun slowly turned to look at his husband. He was feeling a little bit happy and relief to hear that. “What about getting a divorce?”

                “We’ll see about that,” Yongguk pressed the accelerator and continued on driving after the light changed to green.

                “But why?” Daehyun frowned. “I thought that you love me…”

                Yongguk let out a small sigh. “Apparently, my love is not enough. I can’t make you happy.”

                “Who said that I’m not happy?” Daehyun was getting irritated in their conversation. His body had slightly shifted so that he could face his husband properly. “I love you, Yongguk. Just being by your side is enough to make me happy,” He claimed while clutching tightly to his seatbelt.

                Yongguk didn’t give any response right away. His eyes still fixed to the road as he pursed his lips, falling into a deep thought. Daehyun looked expectantly at the other. His mind was busy arranging the next sentences in case Yongguk would leave him hanging.

                The car eventually slowed down and halted at the roadside. Daehyun just realized that they were already arrived at the airport. He stopped looking around when Yongguk finally spoke up.

                “You know, I’ve been thinking,” Yongguk looked down to his lap as he said the thing that had been bugging his mind.  “What if we didn’t meet each other? What if Jihyun could easily forget about me and move on? What if you and Inguk are still lovers?”

                Daehyun’s heart ached seeing his husband being sad like that. True, he admitted that he’d had the same thoughts too. And he got the answer long ago; it didn’t matter. “But none of those happen,” He told the elder. “And I’m glad because I met you. You made me feel loved more than anybody else could. And I would never have thought that I can love someone as much as I do with you,” He confessed with all his heart.

                “But I did nothing to deserve your love…” Yongguk showed his face to Daehyun, revealing the tears which were already fallen out of his eyes.

                Daehyun immediately felt the urge to cry. His lips trembled as his view began to be clouded. “You don’t have to do anything. You just have to be yourself, who is always being by my side whenever I need you.”

                “What about Inguk? He’s changed now. Maybe he could do better than me,” Yongguk said in a shaky voice.

                Daehyun’s mouth was hung opened for a moment. He was somehow in disbelief when Yongguk brought up Inguk’s name. “You’re right. He’s changed,” The words finally escaped his mouth. “And my heart changed too. I don’t love him anymore. You’re the one that I love with all my heart and soul. I need you the most in my life,” He wept.

                Yongguk shook his head. His hands rubbed his face, wiping away all the pouring tears. Daehyun was hoping that his husband could say the same thing to him. Just saying ‘I love you too’ was more than enough for him.

                “It’s time for you to go,” Yongguk uttered suddenly before going out of the car.

                Daehyun’s eyes widened. “But – Yongguk!” He wanted to stop the latter but it’s too late. Reluctantly, he got off the car and went to Yongguk who had taken out his luggage. But he couldn’t stop crying. Because it hurt. It hurt so much in his heart.

                Yongguk handed the luggage to the younger. Daehyun kept his head low as he didn’t have the will to look at Yongguk anymore. And Yongguk just stood there, wanting to stop his wife’s tears. But what could he do when he’s the one who started it?

                Hesitantly, Yongguk raised his hand. It’s reaching to Daehyun’s head before to give it a soft pat. “Have a safe flight. Take care.”

                Daehyun didn’t move or flinch. He was frozen in his spot. Yongguk slowly stepped back, sending the last look to his wife before getting into the car. Daehyun still didn’t lift his head or return that look, even after Yongguk had drove away from him and finally leaving him alone.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

            Yongguk walked into his house and closed the door behind him. It seemed wider, emptier and colder without Daehyun here. Yongguk sighed heavily, wondering how he would go through the days on his own because actually, he was already missing his wife.

                Trudging to the stairs, his eyes scanned the walls and the tables which had his pictures with Daehyun all over them. Before, this house reminded him of Jihyun since it was initially built for both of them to live together. But now, he could only think of Daehyun when he’s inside the large house.

                He reached their room and everything had been tidied up neatly. Daehyun’s scent lingered in the air, causing Yongguk choked up in every breath he took. Flopping onto the bed, he took hold of the stuffed bunny Daehyun left there with both of his hands. He remembered the time when Daehyun would get mad at him for saying its name wrongly, or when they argued about changing the name to something else.

                Yongguk’s lips unconsciously pulled a small smile. “Bokshil-ah, I’m sorry for sending Daehyun away…” He began to sob as he couldn’t suppress the tears any longer. His eyes kept gazing into the toy’s eyes like he’s really talking to it. But of course he wouldn’t get any response. So he put his head down and cried even harder.

                He really shouldn’t be in here. He should stay away from this room or he wouldn’t stop crying. The stuffed bunny was laid on its initial place. Yongguk was about to stand up when something on the bedside table caught his eyes. It was a ring, their marriage ring. Daehyun had left it here too.

                Yongguk let out a trembling breath he didn’t realize he was holding in. Maybe Daehyun was really mad at him yesterday. Maybe Daehyun was taking seriously about the things he said. And he decided to leave everything that reminded him about Yongguk behind. But on the other hand, Yongguk was stuck with everything about Daehyun in the house.

                Yongguk tousled his hair as he was unable to think about anything anymore. The tears needed to stop. He quickly got out of the room, hoping to have a peace in his mind.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

            As soon as Daehyun arrived at the Busan’s airport, he searched for his parents amongst the crowd. They found him first, waving happily in the waiting area. Daehyun immediately cracked a smile and jogged to them to be embraced in a warm hug.

                “Welcome home, Daehyun,” Both of them said happily.

                Daehyun shut his eyes, relishing the feels to be this close with his parents. He could only laugh softly as a reply. But it sounded more like sad whimpers to the elders. They hastily pulled away. Mrs. Jung held his face in between her hands.

                “Daehyun, why are you crying? Are you okay?” She asked anxiously.

                No, I’m not okay. That’s what Daehyun wanted to say but he shook his head instead. “I just missed you two so much,” His lips formed a thin smile. He’s not lying since he did miss his parents. But the real reason he broke into tears was because of Yongguk.

                His husband didn’t say the three words to him, or kiss him on the lips, or the forehead, or give him a hug. Hell, he didn’t even say goodbye. He kept crying until he boarded the plane, and continued crying after the plane landed. When he was about to stop, his parents came into his view. Then the tears just burst out again.

                “You’re here now. Stop crying,” Mr. Jung ruffled his hair. It only made Daehyun recalled about the last thing Yongguk did before they parted. He wailed louder, turning away from his father and hugged his mother alone.

                Mr. Jung raised his brows at his wife. She returned a shrug. He sighed, pulling his son’s luggage to the exit, followed by the other two who were still glued to each other.

                Daehyun only stopped crying when they were on their way to go home. He was sitting alone in the backseat, listening to his parents stories and sometimes answering their question about his life. Daehyun had to pretend that everything was fine and be the cheerful person he had always been around them. Surprisingly, they never said a thing about the miscarriage. Daehyun thought that maybe they didn’t want him drowned in sadness again. And he appreciated it.

                In the middle of that, he got a new text message. His parents lent him some private time as they went on talking with each other.

 

 

From : Gukie Yeobo

Have you arrived yet?

 

 

                Daehyun clenched his teeth angrily. And he wanted Yongguk to know that he’s angry. Maybe he should send a ‘what do you care?!’ as a reply.

 

 

To : Gukie Yeobo

Yes.

 

 

                Daehyun felt like smashing a brick wall using his head. So stupid. Now he was angry at himself for not being able to be angry at his husband. He reread the message again. Yongguk really did care about him. He pouted, as an indication that he gave up on being angry. Maybe he could just be cold towards him. Yet, he typed another message.

 

 

To : Gukie Yeobo

Have you eaten your lunch?

 

 

                Now, that wasn’t so cold, was it Daehyun? He said to himself annoyingly.

 

 

From : Gukie Yeobo

I have. Don’t forget to eat yours too.

 

 

                Daehyun gave up on everything. Yongguk made him smile with his concern. They were texting like an old couple who had lived together for thirty years. But he knew, Yongguk must be feeling awkward to give him a phone call after the number of fights they had. He just wished that everything would be fine from now on.

 

 

♥♡♥♡♥

 

 

Do not give up, the beginning is always the hardest.

 

 


 

well, that's short, isn't it? so expect another on soon ^^

 

I'm sorry that I took so long. I kinda have a writer's block or some sort of that thing when you don't know what the hell is writing T_T

that's what happened to me after I didn't write for more than just two months. then I reread all your comments and revived! so thanks to you guys!!

 

I plan to get this story completed by the 23rd since it's also this fic's anniversary omg

but don't trust me

 

oh, happy birthday to our precious angel Moon Jongup! #ForeverWithMoon and happy belated birthday to our baby-faced Yoo Youngjae! #ForeverWithYoo

Sorry I don't give any role yo both of you in this drama :( but  still, saranghaeyo!